• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

a question set about thread necromancy and usage.

Ranmabomb

Not too sore, are you?
So, I am working on a quest. And I noticed that the quest mechanics thread only has one post and is old. Although the idea of having one seemed to wanted despite it not being used.
I think it would qualify as a topical thread so should be safe? But I made a mistake and necroed something without meaning to recently. So I want to be extra careful.

Kind of related. I didn't see any double posting rules. I am unsure what kind of ediquete there is there though? Presumably quoting multiple people in different posts is fine. And using different posts for different topics when some of them are replies might be okay? Not sure. Although, maybe post editing is preferred in many cases?

If you are contributing actual relevant content to a thread, it doesn't count as a necro.

Topical threads and question threads are fine, because the post is on topic. Adding a comment to a dead story or quest is the problem.

Kind of related. I didn't see any double posting rules.
Multi posting is frowned upon. Editing is preferred. Even better, just wait to hit post and do you responses properly. There is no need to ever multiparty unless you are the person writing the story/quest in which case it is fine.

If you are contributing actual relevant content to a thread, it doesn't count as a necro.

Topical threads and question threads are fine, because the post is on topic. Adding a comment to a dead story or quest is the problem.

Multi posting is frowned upon. Editing is preferred. Even better, just wait to hit post and do you responses properly. There is no need to ever multiparty unless you are the person writing the story/quest in which case it is fine.
So even if I have like 2-4 different topics I want to bring up at a similar time. It is better to either put them in the same post as different sections, or maybe spread out when I post them to have less topics up and avoid being confusing?

So even if I have like 2-4 different topics I want to bring up at a similar time. It is better to either put them in the same post as different sections, or maybe spread out when I post them to have less topics up and avoid being confusing?
Yep! That is standard forum etiquette. It mostly stems from the fact that most forum software will only load a certain number of posts per page, and if you are all of a sudden putting 3-4 posts in a row, that pushes others off of that page. If it is a back and forth, well, that is how discussion works, and the general tolerance for that is much higher (if two people are going back and forth for a page or two, that is when people start to think they should get a room (go to pms)).

Yep! That is standard forum etiquette. It mostly stems from the fact that most forum software will only load a certain number of posts per page, and if you are all of a sudden putting 3-4 posts in a row, that pushes others off of that page. If it is a back and forth, well, that is how discussion works, and the general tolerance for that is much higher (if two people are going back and forth for a page or two, that is when people start to think they should get a room (go to pms)).
Thanks!

So, I kind of have a secondary related question.
If I am the last person to post in an index thread, and It has been like 1-2 weeks since anyone has posted in the thread. Is it okay to make a new post then. My instinct is yes but I am not sure?

So, I kind of have a secondary related question.
If I am the last person to post in an index thread, and It has been like 1-2 weeks since anyone has posted in the thread. Is it okay to make a new post then. My instinct is yes but I am not sure?
Necromancy rules only apply to story threads and quests, discussion threads are never considered dead.

Another knock on question for this:
It is my understanding that if a quest/story author decides to update a story they haven't touched in months it is fine.
But what about posting a non-update talking about plans for an update that I am uncertain about.
Not sure if that is substantial enough. Or if I might still get in trouble for that or have that be disliked?

Another knock on question for this:
It is my understanding that if a quest/story author decides to update a story they haven't touched in months it is fine.
But what about posting a non-update talking about plans for an update that I am uncertain about.
Not sure if that is substantial enough. Or if I might still get in trouble for that or have that be disliked?
If you're the author, you're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back