• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Better search options

What option(s) do you agree with?

• Number 1

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Number 2

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Number 3

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • (Number 4)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Qvintus

Getting some practice in, huh?
I've been lurking on the forums for a long time without an account, so I thought it was finally time to actually be somewhat active.

I'd suggest the following additions for searching:
  1. The possibility of searching by tag and min/max word count.
    1. Either on the main forum
    2. or perhaps a word count option on the tag search page
  2. The possibility of searching for more than one tag.
    1. Probably would be ideal to just be able to add additional tags to a tag search.
  3. The possibility of excluding certain forums from a tag search
    1. Example: Excluding Questing/Creative Writing forum from a tag search

sorta relevant: (4.) The possibility of non-authors added/requested tags

The problem with all of these is that Xenforo (neither the current version used here or the version used on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity) does not support those features natively, and actually creating a robust working tag system is the kind of thing that if I recall correctly makes Xon (the developer of the addons used on those two sites, and the guy who's handling the upgrade to Xenforo 2 here) want to scream in frustration because of how difficult it is to design something like that and make it work with Xenforo without breaking the whole thing.

Making the tags usable is a long term project, as far as I'm aware, but I'm not sure whether that means before or after 2050.

Spacebattles has both word count and multitag search through its filter functionality.

Too bad nearly noone uses tags on spacebattles...

The possibility of excluding certain forums from a tag search
I know how to do that with a regular advanced search. But I don't think I've ever bothered with tag search. So I don't know if this is possible or not.

With a regular advanced search, there's a section for "search within these forums". So you would accomplish this by selecting all the forums by hand except the one(s) you wanted to exclude.

Is there an advanced search UI for tag searches?

Of course, this being useful depends on tags, which uh. Highly not guaranteed.

Yes, it's quite easy with the normal searching. Tags just makes finding specific wanted content, so much easier.

I suppose, there's not much to do other than hope they port the filter functionality from sufficient velocity or spacebattles :(

If they do, it'll be after the XF2 upgrade.

I actually have doubts that XF1 is actually capable of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back