• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Common Names Causing Rejected Registrations

tehelgee

The stern gaze of justice.
Administrator
Please don't use common names as a username.

At least once a week, sometimes more often, an attempted registration will get rejected because a user chose a name that's flagged in the database we use. The reason for most of those is that it's a normal name. Matt, Theresa, Sam, Lucy, Thomas, and so on. Once one of those names has been rejected, future attempts using the same email and IP address get automatically rejected and it becomes a hassle to get people signed up if they email me about it.

So, I'm making this thread to pin with the rules to hopefully cut down on that.

Could you explain why attempting to sign up with such a name deserves an IP-ban? It seems pretty harmless to me.

A simple warning is probably okay as a stopgap fix, but IP banning should only ever be used as a last resort. It's easy for bad actors to get around, while false positives have a far worse time because IP addresses do not have a 1:1 association with people.

Add a captcha to the registration process, maybe two if you're extra paranoid (one during registration and a different one on the "email confirmed" link page), and instead of having that "common name database" triggering a ban, simply have it trigger the "username already taken" error.

This is automatic functionality through XenForo's StopForumSpam integration, which aggregates spam reports across multiple sites. We don't have the ability to make detailed changes to the internals of the system, and just turning it off would increase the spam load on the moderators a lot.

Captchas don't really help; modern computers can solve them, and if not people get paid just to solve captchas 24/7 to let bots spam places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back