• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

ChandraMagic

Just a Bit Ditzy
So, I had the thought of making a thread for Factorio, because I like the game, and more people should like the game, and I happen to know just enough about Factorio to erroneously think I am an expert at it. So, this is me finally getting around to dispensing some of my sage advice to new players to Factorio!

Firstly, what is Factorio?

It's a factory building game, sort of like Minecraft, or Craft the World, of any other numerous other games of the like. It's 2D, with a psuedo 3D view, so not exactly like Minecraft, but not flat like Craft the World.

For a better look at it, best just to go to their website, or check them out on steam.

Wait, but Steam says it's Early Access! I don't want to pay for a still buggy game!

Yeah, no. Factorio has been in development for, literally, years, and only recently got around to being put on Steam. It may only be up to version 0.12.33, but it's solid as a rock (each development cycle lasts as long as it takes to crush all the bugs that can be found, so no 'well, it's only an edge case, so it doesn't matter'. They will crush ALL the bugs, first), and it has a lot of features and game play in it.

What's more, new features are still being added (and no, it's not feature creep), or old ones are being improved. In fact, every Friday, they release a 'what we've been working on this past week', and they've done this from the beginning.

That's all well and good, but how does it play?

You're in luck, there's a demo you can download off their website, as mentioned above, or on Steam (I think). Go, try it out. Get hooked. Lose your life as you struggle to get your factory working.

So, moving on. Oh, right. Factorio newbies needing a bit of help. Well, I can suggest a few Youtubers to check out:

Firstly, Bentham, or MangledPork Gaming, on Youtube has a few playlists you should check out. Fair warning, he's been at this for a wile, and his first video is with the 0.9.8 build, with his latest being version 0.12.33. So you can see how things advanced.

Second, is Root Negative, or Negative Root. He's got a couple of playlists I suggest. He's got a Factorio's Beginner's Guide series he's done, which can be helpful to new players, but he's also got a long, long series entitled Factorio - Break the Game, where he does indeed, try to break the game.

I mention that last one, because you can see some of the jaw dropping stuff you can get up to, or to aspire to.

Third one I will mention is Aavak, who while he doesn't have any other Factorio playlists, does have a multiplayer version of the beginner's guide he's done with a friend. It's update is a bit sporadic as the twos schedule has to match up, but I actually think it's the best beginner's guide I've seen so far.

You can find it here

So, the bit that I really started this for.

For those do play, what mods do you play with? Oh, right, yes, for those that don't know, you can get mods for the game (and there are a lot of them). I will, of course, start us off~

For those that don't know how to mod their game, go here.

So, the mods I play with:

Autofill

Does what it says on the tin. Automatically fills things you put down if you have the necessary resources in yoru inventory. Put down a stone furnace and have a stack of coal in your inventory? It automatically puts some of that coal into the stone furnace. Plopped down a turret and ammo in your inventory? Puts some ammo in the turret without requiring you to do all the extra clicking.

So very useful, especially when assaulting biter bases~

Doesn't work for some overhaul mods (like Yuoki Industries), but the mod author seems to be slowly working on adding support for them in.

EvoGUI

Just gives a few extra stats, like time of day, how much pollution is in the quadrant you are currently standing in, how evolved the biters are...how many biters you've killed. How long it's been since you ate...I mean started.

And because I adore the logistic system, I make use of:

Advanced Logistics System

Because the logistic UI is kind of shitty right now, so until they fix it into something less shitty, I make use of this. Which will tell you what all you have in chests. Any chests. Also, sortable and searchable.

Resource Spawner Overhaul

Or, just RSO, is a mod that changes how resources are generated on the map at load up. So, they are both more evenly distributed, and get more intense/dense the further away from the starting spawn point they are. Everything is also placed further distance apart, so if you don't know trains, learn them if you use this mod.

As a note, Biter bases are considered resources.

F.A.R.L.

Or, Factorio Automatic Rail Layer, is needed if you use RSO, because otherwise, building railways over the distances needed would be a huge pain in the ass. If I use RSO, I use FARL. No question.

Of course, if I am going to be using a lot of trains, then I want:

The FAT Controller

Which allows me to remotely control my trains (useful for if you lose a train, which can happen if your rail network gets big enough).

And, of course, if I use RSO, I will also be using:

RSO Radar

Because otherwise, the radar range is just too bleeding small. Note that you can use any radar mod (and it is suggested), I just went with the one that made the least change needed.

As a note, if you are going to make use of RSO, it is also suggested you use one of the tanker wagon mods. I don't, simply because I use:

Yuoki Industries

There's...a lot here, because it is both a complete overhaul, yet not. Everything in YI is optional. That is, you don't have to make use of them, but they are there if you want them. They are also not walled behind specific research, but rather restricted via what bits and bobs are needed. I.E.: you need steel to make the improved boilers introduced through YI, but no additional research is needed.

What's even better, everything added has unique, and fun, graphics, so you don't get a differently coloured steam generator, but a uniquely designed power plant, and the art is good.

Also, there are a number of add-ons, including a lot of trains. It is in the train add-on that there is a tanker wagon, plus specific pumps for loading and unloading the oil.

Of course, there's a lot of other things in the add-ons, but I would prefer to make people explore it, first.

Oh, also as a warning, Yuoki Industries does not seem as explored as the overhaul mods, so it is hard to find reliable information on them.

And that's about all the mods I am making use of at the moment.

So yuh, go and get addicted if you haven't already, and if you have gotten addicted, well, know you are not alone.

It's been awhile since I actually played it, but my favorite mod was Dytech. Reminded me of Gregtech from Minecraft, which was my favorite upgrade to IC2 since it made the game so much longer and in depth to figure out.

I played quite a bit of it before, it's a good game. I've been meaning to come back to it and try out a few mods.

For those that have let their play of Factorio slip, and/or haven't noticed, Factorio 0.13.0 has gone live. Lots of changes, which are documented, here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27101

So, yeah. Make sure you are stocked up, call in sick at work, kiss your loved ones good bye, and start Factorioing~

Added fire. Fire will spread between trees and cause forest fires, causing a large amount of pollution to be released.
Flamethrower turret. Fueled with fluid, shoots a stream of burning oil towards oncoming enemies.

Aheh. Aha. ahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH-

I'm going to burn alllll the things.

We can light forests on fire? Finally, I don't have to make hundreds of grenades to clear forests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back