• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Does anyone else feel the Oxford Comma has damaged your ability to write?

Mithril-blade

Experienced.
I have grammarly, and I refuse to pay for the version that let's me turn the oxford comma off because that's something it should come with to begin with, so I have to constantly look through what I write and dismiss all the oxford comma suggestions.

However, since getting Grammarly, I feel like I have less of a sense for my commas than I did before. As if the whole freaking thing has slowly corroding my mind and destroying my ability to actually use English well. :(

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I'll be the uneducated idiot and ask.

What is an Oxford comma?

The comma that you put in the penultimate place of a list of three or more items. It

Like, if I started counting of what you need for bread, it would be flour, eggs, and milk with an Oxford comma. As opposed to flour, eggs and milk.

Why is this important? Because it robs you of the ability to make certain distinctions with commas. Like, if you wrote "James went with the singer, Joey and James" the oxford comma immediately implies that the singer is Joey "James went with the singer, Joey, and James".

Which, conversely, means that you can't imply relations through the use of commas because it's all just part of a list!

It's not like it's necessary or anything, but Grammarly DEMANDS that you use it.

Why is this important? Because it robs you of the ability to make certain distinctions with commas. Like, if you wrote "James went with the singer, Joey and James" the oxford comma immediately implies that the singer is Joey "James went with the singer, Joey, and James".
"James went with Joey, James, and the singer." That was easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back