• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Flagging Posts for Notification

Merior

Untested Adventurer
Would it be possible to implement something which notified watchers/subscribers when certain posts get made to a thread?

By that I mean either something like they have on SB/SV where posts by the person who started the thread get flagged immediately. Or, as an alternative, for the thread starter to simply flag a post they're making as 'important' and thus trigger a notification.

Such a function would be useful for both creative writing and Quest threads, letting the new chapters/update be noticeable immediately.

Would it be possible to implement something which notified watchers/subscribers when certain posts get made to a thread?

By that I mean either something like they have on SB/SV where posts by the person who started the thread get flagged immediately. Or, as an alternative, for the thread starter to simply flag a post they're making as 'important' and thus trigger a notification.

Such a function would be useful for both creative writing and Quest threads, letting the new chapters/update be noticeable immediately.

As I understand, the 'Notify on OP post' is something Xon coded personally and has not released to the public. The other idea would cost money if it's even possible, by needing to hire someone for coding it, which neither myself or alethiophile are capable of.

As I understand, the 'Notify on OP post' is something Xon coded personally and has not released to the public. The other idea would cost money if it's even possible, by needing to hire someone for coding it, which neither myself or alethiophile are capable of.
What's the chance that Xon would share the code?

The answer is, he isn't going to share it with anyone. At least for the foreseeable future. Eventually he may release it as a proper addon, but not now. alethiophile has looked into it in the past and that the response we got.
That's to bad. I'm guessing he's going to sell it to Xenforo or something. Good for him I suppose.

Xon has done really substantial work with the XF addons at SB/SV, and much of it is his original stuff not shared anywhere. (He's made some major improvements to threadmarks as well; luckily, that was originally by another guy and released open source, so Xon's modifications came along.) I have an eye on this, and will take an opportunity to get hold of it if I can. It may involve paying him for it, which would be entirely fair; the stuff he's written contributes at least as much value as a bunch of other paid addons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back