• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

H. G. Wells, classic sci-fi, and derivative works appreciation thread

Idkusername

Versed in the lewd.
I'm just surprised that someone used the word "morlock". I didn't know anyone even read The Time Machine anymore.

The Time Machine should be required reading just so the majority of people understand the reference when people toss "morlock" as the glorious insult it is.

If you're talking about the H.G. Wells classic, I read it way back when and don't remember most of it, except it was a dry read characteristic of other novels in the genre at the time, and didn't have a mystery or plot or themes that appealed to me to compensate, unlike say the The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde did, though I can certainly see it's influence.

I actually really enjoy The Time Machine. It's short and gets straight to the point. The 1960 film adaptation is pretty great as well.

The 2002 film.....isn't for everyone. Jeremy Irons, Guy Pearce, and Mark Addy are in it though, so there's that.

I welcome you all to the classic sci-fi appreciation thread. Go wild.

My first and favorite of classic sci fi is Journey to the Centre of The Earth

Does the Foundation trilogy count as classical Sci-fi? I think so, and I also think their pretty great. Fun to see a time 20k years in the future that doesn't have computers.

My first and favorite of classic sci fi is Journey to the Centre of The Earth
Honestly, my introduction to what might be called classic sci-fi was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and then later War of the Worlds.

Of course, even later they ruined that last one by making a movie of it with Tom Cruise.

The time machine is underappreciated now a days. In fact I might have to go and dig it out and give it a reread. A lot of the old Jules Verne and the like really holds up even today.

20.000 leagues under the sea was one of the first of the classic sci-fi novels I've read, after binging everything by Arthur C. Clarke my library had to offer. It wasn't much by thew way.

But yeah, it was an engaging ready.

Can't say I'm really interested in reading the Time Machine though. There were so many movies made out of it over the years, and I feel like I've watched all fo them at least thrice, re-reading the same thing again just doesn't sound that appealing.

I didn't really got too much into sci-fi stuff and mostly stuck with fantasy when I was younger and in the phase where I was devouring books left and right.. though I did enjoy a few pieces from Heinlein that I can only recommend. The Rolling Stones is a really good book. There was also one about space colonial farming, though I don't remember as much of it anymore.. I think it was good though or I wouldn't remmeber it... I assume it as "Farmer in the Sky"... the titles are a bit of a question mark for me since my native language is german...

I think there was also one book about a space traveller of some sort doing diplomacy on another planet or something? I remember vaguely that it had a large dragon-like alien species that.. I think tended to take baths at the same temperature as the human body since they had higher body temperature than us? And I think they may have been cold blooded... god it has been a long time since I checked these pieces out... the name escapes me..

Oh, one odd piece was the The Pit Dragon Trilogy (or in German "Die Drachenkämpfer von Sarkkhan" trilogy.) Not nearly as old as the above pieces and kind of a mix of fantasy and sci-fi but quite interesting. Base premise is that the MC is a staple boy who gets closer to a dragon and gains a psychic bond with one.. it is really quite interesting as a story. Has also been quite a while since I checked it.. and looking at the wiki entry, it looks like there is a 4th book by now... hmmm.. something to check out..

Edit: There is also the a series by a certain author about Dimension Travelling that really played with the concept.. the name was a bit tricky to find but it is called the Myth Adventure series and really plays with the idea of alternate universes being legitimately alien, to the point that even the laws of phsyics and such are entirely different.

One of the things that came up in the book I read (sadly only have one.) early on was the MC being told to not eat anything while they were travelling through certain areas because the local food may not contain the right material for human consumption, or even be poisonous while being perfectly harmless for the locals...

Last edited:
Oh, one odd piece was the The Pit Dragon Trilogy (or in German "Die Drachenkämpfer von Sarkkhan" trilogy.) Not nearly as old as the above pieces and kind of a mix of fantasy and sci-fi but quite interesting. Base premise is that the MC is a staple boy who gets closer to a dragon and gains a psychic bond with one.. it is really quite interesting as a story. Has also been quite a while since I checked it.. and looking at the wiki entry, it looks like there is a 4th book by now... hmmm.. something to check out..
I remember that, and that the first book was good...but the second and third books sorta took the premise of the first book, chucked it off a cliff, and went off to do something weird instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back