• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

How Often Do You Update?

AlexiGrey

Getting sticky.
Hey, I'm starting my first quest and trying to figure out my update schedule. Second post was 2 days in, third was longer, and fourth is looking like it'll be 2 or 3 days. I'm guessing everyone has their own sweet spot. How often do you update? Any advice?

Hey, I'm starting my first quest and trying to figure out my update schedule. Second post was 2 days in, third was longer, and fourth is looking like it'll be 2 or 3 days. I'm guessing everyone has their own sweet spot. How often do you update? Any advice?
Do not be me.

Other than that, really, go with what works. Every quest is different, and even inside one quest each update may be different.

Quality often takes time, and life will interfere. Hold fast, and do your best.

While my own quest (see sig) was derailed pretty quickly by my moving out of the country and replacing my entire routine with a completely different lifestyle, I enjoyed an every-other-day update target while I kept it up. It allowed for a 24-hour vote cycle with a day after that for me to write the update. Sometimes I could get some pre-writing done when aspects of the winning vote were clear ahead of time and the situation in-quest allowed, but sometimes not.

The key is to find a rhythm that works for you. Different people are often productive at different times of the day, and your writing process is likely different than my writing process. Having a sort of cycle should help maintain steady updates - and steadiness is far more important than speed.

I've tried nearly everyday. I tried, every three days. But nowadays any story of mine is lucky to be updated once a month.

Though I ran into a bit of a snag on one of my quests, the other one hasn't been updated since I was writing something else and then the holidays happened.

-edit-

The advice I'd had to say was already said. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back