• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Huayu That Year

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

In the first chapter of "New Life," we meet Lin Nan, a young man who unexpectedly finds himself immersed in the entertainment industry. After facing personal tragedy and financial ruin, Lin Nan decides to pursue his dreams of becoming an actor by enrolling in an acting program at a university. Despite initial setbacks, including failing his entrance exams due to poor academic performance, Lin Nan's determination leads him to eventually secure a spot in the program.

As Lin Nan navigates the challenges of university life and begins to explore the bustling capital city, he encounters classmates, experiences, and opportunities that shape his journey. From chance encounters with established actors to unexpected opportunities to audition for film roles, Lin Nan's path in the entertainment world unfolds against the backdrop of a vibrant and competitive industry.

Driven by a desire to succeed and support his father, Lin Nan seizes every opportunity to pursue his passion for acting, even if it means stepping outside his comfort zone and taking risks. With each encounter and experience, Lin Nan grows closer to realizing his dreams while facing the realities and complexities of life in the entertainment industry.

As Lin Nan embarks on his new life filled with hope, ambition, and determination, readers are invited to join him on a captivating journey of self-discovery, resilience, and the pursuit of dreams in the ever-evolving world of show business.
Chapter 1: New Beginning

Heathcliff692

Getting out there.
Chapter 1: New Beginning

Lin Nan never imagined that one day he would actually end up in this industry.

Looking back at the gate of the Beijing Film Academy, he wiped his eyes and let his thoughts drift away.

He remembered his girlfriend back then, who was involved in some obscure circle, a so-called actress who contracted an incurable disease.

Originally running a restaurant in Hengdian, he ended up selling his house and car, losing everything, and eventually passing away.

Without even experiencing firsthand the chaos of this industry, Lin Nan, a single, middle-aged man, was manipulated to death.

Leaving behind only his father, a white-haired man sending off a black-haired one.

When consciousness returned, 16-year-old Lin Nan decisively decided to take the arts exam.

He, Lin Nan, also wanted to experience this circle and see how enchanting it could be.

The first year of the arts exam failed because his academic grades were too poor and time was tight. After all, starting a new life, who would remember those things? Hastily taking the exam, his total score was less than two hundred.

He studied hard for a year, repeatedly pondering his memories and some vaguely remembered major events, and made a simple plan for the future.

For example, firstly, abide by the law; secondly, still abide by the law; thirdly, when you have money and want to buy a house, never go to Chaoyang District.

Finally, stumbling along, relying on a decent face, he successfully entered the performing arts major.

At the age of eighteen, Lin Nan became a member of the Class of 2002.

Taking out a cigarette and about to light it, Lin Nan extinguished it again; better to quit.

He promised his dad that he wouldn't smoke once he entered university.

Hastily walking to the security office at the school gate, "Brother, this is for you, I quit." Without waiting for rejection, he forcefully handed it over and hurriedly ran away.

"Sigh..."

The security guard sighed. Didn't this kid just leave?

Now it's National Day, and it's been a month since school started.

Lin Nan didn't go back to his hometown, planning to explore the capital.

In his past life in Hengdian, because his father and he ran a restaurant, he had also seen quite a few big-name stars.

But such close contact, this lifetime was the first.

Except for the days of the arts exam.

He remembered seeing Wang Luodan, who was already a sophomore, Niuliang styling hair, Dong Xuan in her junior year, Hong Shixian and Yao Dazui in their senior year...

As well as several of his peers, the Three Mothers from "Bao Lian Deng Prequel," and Zhu Chuanwu from "Crossing the Eastern Frontier."

These were the few stars Lin Nan recognized from watching TV in his previous life.

And the stunning beauty he had only seen during the first few days of school.

This year should be the start of filming for "Golden Powder Family," and, yes, "Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils," it's a grand opening.

All these people still looked so young.

At the end of the year, Zhang Guoshi's "Hero" will also be released, and he will go watch it then.

Feeling his pocket, this month's living expenses just arrived, 1500 yuan.

His dad used to be the head of a military kitchen, cooking delicious food. After retiring from the army, he opened a restaurant in northwest China and easily supported himself and his son.

"Little Lin, what are you dawdling here for?"

Zhu Yawen slapped Lin Nan on the back; this guy had a good personality and talked a lot.

"Just thinking about exploring the capital, old Zhu, are you idle too?"

Lin Nan joked without giving face; always calling him "Little Lin," as if he was practicing some kind of martial arts.

"How about we go together? There aren't many idle people in our class. It's just the beginning of the semester, and everyone's as active as if they have acting gigs everywhere, visiting sets everywhere."

"Yeah, everyone's so active."

Lin Nan thought of that heavenly beauty; she's going to have two representative works this year alone, shining brightly for over twenty years.

When Lin Nan was on the brink of death, the nurses in the hospital were still discussing "Dreams and Splendors."

The two of them walked arm in arm, ready to visit the Forbidden City.

During National Day, the Forbidden City was always crowded, whether it was twenty years ago or now.

With a tour guide leading the way, explaining the scenes from "The Last Emperor," saying it was filmed here on site.

Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen had just watched this movie a few days ago at school.

Without mentioning how many awards this movie swept, just the male lead's face alone warranted recognition.

Moreover, it was actually filmed in the palace.

Lin Nan remembered that in their dormitory, there was a poster of Chow Yun-fat hanging.

"Tsk tsk tsk, filming here must be fun," Old Zhu sighed as he walked.

"Linzi, when do you think we'll get to act?"

Lin Nan was caught off guard.

With their current situation, not being child stars, only starting acting this year, how could they act? At least they needed some experience.

Many classmates in the class entered the industry before attending university, but not them.

"Heroes of the Marsh" just started filming not long ago; you can try it out. There might be suitable extra roles available, and the school's reputation still counts for something." Lin Nan suggested.

"I'm not going. Among the classmates in our class, there's Wang Yujian, and if I go play an extra role, it'll be too embarrassing." Old Zhu still had some face.

"Don't tell me you have ideas?" Classmate Yawen cornered him.

"I have some ideas. I'm still relying on my dad for living expenses now. After all, I got into the Film Academy. I can't keep depending on my parents." Lin Nan straightforwardly stated his ideas.

Zhu Yawen raised his thumb, "Brother, you're determined, I support you."

"Then treat me to lunch today."

"You said you wouldn't rely on your parents."

"Get lost."

At noon, the two found an alley and ordered two portions of braised offal and baked buns; the prices were still reasonable at the moment.

It's just that the mung bean soup was really not fit for human consumption, it was too sour.

After eating, the two walked towards the school, mainly because they couldn't think of anywhere else to go.

"Linzi, if you really want to find a role, you might as well ask the teachers. We're much better off than the next class. As long as it's a legitimate shoot, it's easy to get a leave of absence."

"I know, I know. When I'm famous, I'll definitely support you, don't worry." Lin Nan patted his chest confidently.

"I'll be waiting."

The performing arts major didn't have many courses, far fewer than other universities.

But it wasn't few either, with various analyses of famous works, Chinese and foreign film history, physical performance classes, psychology, philosophy, and so on.

Lin Nan thought it was okay. After all it's only been a month since the start of school, so he could focus on laying a solid foundation for now. Even if he couldn't excel immediately, at least he could improve his skills to a respectable level.

The school was already talking about "Hero," a few months before filming began. This place was the cradle of film talents, and whenever there were new films or big productions, the students and faculty here would always be the first to know.

Although it was National Day, the campus was still bustling with people.

At this time, there weren't as many film crews around as there would be later. Except for a small number of students who could join the crew, most were just bystanders.

It was slightly better than being a real extra.

Zhu Yawen returned to the dormitory, leaving Lin Nan wandering alone on campus.

There were many pretty girls around, and none were lacking.

"Completely unreliable, they even want to film at the mine..."

"I heard they're not even preparing for public release. What do you think?"

Several senior brothers passed by Lin Nan, talking about something related to filming.

"At the mine? Not planning for public release?"

These words echoed in Lin Nan's mind.

In 2002, a film at the mine? Could it be "Blind Shaft"?

Lin Nan hurried to catch up, "Senior brothers, what film were you talking about just now, about the mine?"

The two senior brothers, who didn't leave much of an impression on Lin Nan, stopped in their tracks.

"We don't know the name yet. It's just a documentary director who made a script himself and wants to find some people to shoot it. He's looking for people at our school. There's nothing else, just trying to con people, just ask around a few teachers."

The two senior brothers didn't say much and left.

Lin Nan guessed it; could it be the documentary director?

Baoqiang used this film to win the Best Newcomer at the Golden Horse Awards.

For students with a different academic background, this was a great opportunity, their starting point would be much higher.

Thinking about it, Lin Nan only remembered this movie, where Baoqiang was eventually selected from a large group of extras.

"Should I give it a try?"

This idea lingered in Lin Nan's mind for a long time.

"Let's do it!"
Lin Nan decided to go for the role.

Lin Nan found his old class, but didn't see the so-called director.

"Teacher Zhou, I heard there's someone looking for actors?"

"It's Lin Nan. Director Li has already left. If you hurry, maybe you can catch him at the school gate. Why are you running?"

Before he could finish his sentence, the student in front of him had already disappeared.

The first-time class instructor, a female teacher, could only sit down with a smile.

At the school gate, two people were leaving.

"If it doesn't work out, just go to the group performances. The requirements aren't high anyway."

The middle-aged man in his forties, with a look of helplessness, said to the person next to him.

"Is that Director Li?"

Lin Nan was a little anxious, but it should be the person in front of him.

The middle-aged man and his assistant turned around, "Are you calling me, fellow student?"

"Hello, Director Li, I'm a freshman from the undergraduate class of 2002, Lin Nan. I heard you have a script and are looking for people. I'd like to give it a try."

Lin Nan said in one breath, then took a deep breath.

The middle-aged man glanced at his assistant, then at Lin Nan, "Let's find a place to sit and talk. This morning, students who heard about the conditions of the crew all refused, several teachers didn't think highly of you, so why did you chase after us?"

Lin Nan was nervous, he couldn't just say, "I think highly of you, I want to compete for the Best Newcomer award."

The three walked for a while and found a small restaurant booth.

"Mainly, I want to gain some experience. I heard it's being shot at the mine, which I'm familiar with."

Lin Nan could only resort to his trump card.

"Familiar?" Director Li questioned.

"I'm from the northwest. We have a lot of small coal mines there. If you haven't decided on a location yet, I might be able to help."

Lin Nan was a little nervous, but also excited.

Indeed, for the crew, finding a suitable abandoned coal mine wasn't difficult, but during the shoot, they would need local help. Having someone familiar with the area would be convenient and wouldn't be troublesome. Plus, he was born in the northwest.

"If there's a lack of funds, I might be able to help a bit." Lin Nan looked at the director, revealing his last card.

The assistant beside Director Li nudged him, apparently moved.

A few months prior, Lin Nan had started writing, hoping everyone would enjoy it.

(End of this chapter)

Comment "Continue" please

Chapter 3: Returning to School
### Chapter 3: Returning to School

Clothes, hairstyle, makeup...

Lin Nan looked at himself in the mirror and couldn't believe it—he really looked like a simple, rustic village boy.

Recalling the scenes from the finished film in his mind, he felt he finally got the essence of it.

From the station, Yuan Fengming was led away by two people who coaxed and guided him. Lacking social experience, he just followed them in a daze.

Lin Nan portrayed this naivety perfectly. Most of his peers back home were like this.

He even added an uncle to the mix, thus beginning his hard work in the mines.

Director Li Yang was very satisfied with Lin Nan's performance. Although it was a bit raw, it was exactly what the role required.

As he acted more, Lin Nan seemed to genuinely treat the two people as his relatives.

Until the scene where he had to go for a health check-up. Lin Nan was called to stop several times, for a rather embarrassing reason.

He couldn't convey that innocence and confusion convincingly—it was obvious he was acting.

Lin Nan felt helpless. Physically he was fine, but mentally he wasn't a novice anymore.

After repeatedly being stopped until everyone was exhausted, Lin Nan finally delivered that youthful innocence by emptying his mind.

"Finally done." Everyone just wanted to rest.

The director pulled Lin Nan aside, "Were you embarrassed just now? It's normal to have a reaction, you're a young man after all. But remember, you're acting. You'll join many crews in the future, so don't let your mind wander in these kinds of scenes."

Lin Nan felt wronged. "Director, you've misunderstood me. I'm not that kind of person."

Seeing the senior actors around him smiling, Lin Nan decided to keep quiet.

Time flew by, and in a blink, more than twenty days had passed.

Everyone in the crew got along well, whether filming on the mine or shooting in the town.

Lin Nan cherished this time. Two years ago, he just wanted to get into the industry.

Over the past two years, especially during these twenty days of filming, Lin Nan's mindset had changed.

He genuinely started to like this profession.

Back at the mine.

Tang Chaoyang was about to harm Yuan Fengming, and Song Jinming repeatedly stopped him. In the end, both perished together.

Lin Nan's Yuan Fengming received "Uncle's" compensation money, which he could use to complete his and his sister's education...

The month passed quickly, and it was time for the makeshift crew to disband.

"Director, thank you for giving me this opportunity. I'll always remember this experience and your guidance," Lin Nan thanked the director privately.

He bid farewell to the actors one by one, needing to return to school promptly.

It was already mid-November, and he had only taken a month off. Delaying further wouldn't be good, and he had missed a lot of classes.

"Go back and study hard. We'll collaborate again if there's a chance. As for the film, I'll take it abroad. Whether it wins awards or sells well, I'll notify you immediately."

"Don't worry, director. No problem. I believe you'll win an award. I stake my future on it," Lin Nan said boldly.

The director laughed, "I wouldn't dare jeopardize your future, but I appreciate your good wishes."

All good things must come to an end.

Lin Nan left the crew, visited his father, and then prepared to return to school.

After a long, tiring train ride, Lin Nan felt exhausted when he arrived.

Ignoring the strange looks from others, he went straight back to his dorm to get some sleep.

Train rides were terrible for rest—too chaotic and noisy.

"Hey, wake up, Lin Nan, don't sleep..."

In a daze, he heard someone calling him.

Struggling to open his eyes, he saw Zhu Yawen standing by his bed, along with a few classmates.

"You've been sleeping since yesterday afternoon until this morning. If you didn't wake up, we were going to splash water on you," Zhu Yawen said. Seeing Lin Nan awake, the others dispersed.

Lying on the lower bunk, Lin Nan didn't move.

"This past month has worn me out," Lin Nan said weakly.

Zhu Yawen sat on the empty opposite bed, "You've aged five years in a month. You really did go into a mine."

Ignoring Zhu Yawen's teasing, Lin Nan had indeed aged during this time. The dry Northwest weather and the crew's conditions meant he hadn't bathed, and his hair had grown long.

He figured he'd need to rest well at school for half a month to recover his skin.

"But you were impressive. You mentioned filming, and a few days later, you were on set. It was small, but still a movie," Zhu Yawen said, admiring Lin Nan's courage to invest his own money.

It wasn't surprising Zhu Yawen knew. After all, taking a month off meant the teacher would inform substitute teachers or classmates.

Just like the ongoing discussions about a certain star filming "Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre," everyone at school was talking, especially the girls—some envious, some jealous.

"Enough about me, tell me about school. Anything interesting happen while I was gone?" Lin Nan asked.

Zhu Yawen became talkative. A few days ago, the school had a symposium about "Heroes," and it was packed. The director and producer spoke passionately, and the students were thrilled.

There were also some short films that were very impactful.

Many classmates took leave, either for a few days or didn't come at all.

Zhu Yawen talked, and Lin Nan listened.

"I'm going to wash up. Let's go out for a meal," Lin Nan said.

The school was still the same, with most of the students being freshmen. The higher the year, the more they were out and about.

"Linzi, I found something," Zhu Yawen said, looking excited and holding back.

"What else could you find? Maybe a role. Stop being so coy, it's not manly."

"You're annoying. But you're right, I got a role in a TV drama. It starts filming tomorrow, a youth campus series."

"That's great. Congrats. Now we both have a start. TV dramas pay better than my film, I only got three thousand. A TV drama should be tens of thousands, right?"

Lin Nan was envious but cheered up thinking about good news coming next year.

By then, he might have won a Golden Horse.

In terms of earning money, TV drama actors made more in those years. Most film actors didn't earn as much, except for a few top ones.

They ate at a restaurant, with Lin Nan treating since he got paid.

Afterwards, Zhu Yawen returned to school, and Lin Nan went to get a haircut.

"Sir, the same style as last time, clean and sunny."

"Got it."

Returning to school, he reported to the teacher.

"I heard you slept all day," Teacher Zhou joked.

"Don't believe them. It was less than twenty hours. Mainly, I was too tired recently, and traveling wore me out more."

"Now that you're back, focus on your studies and catch up on what you missed."

"No problem, don't worry."

In the afternoon, Lin Nan attended a film history class, watching old movies he hadn't even heard of in his past life. Only in this life, attending film school, did he encounter these foreign films.

The film students were still full of ideals, aiming to be movie stars, unlike the later years when standards declined, and everyone mocked the industry.

Lin Nan pondered a difficult question: few actors could guarantee continuous success.

How should he plan his future? He couldn't just be an actor—it was too limiting and unpredictable.

He considered branching out, maybe as a producer, director, or starting a company...

"Don't daydream," the teacher said, diligently. Lin Nan had to admit.

He was caught daydreaming, sitting in the front row, so he could only smile and seek forgiveness.

The teacher continued, mentioning the recent Golden Rooster Awards, where Director Chen won Best Director, adding to his impressive resume.

Director Chen was at the peak of his career, surrounded by accolades and applause.

At the same time, Director Feng's "Big Shot" won Ge Da Ye the Hundred Flowers Best Actor.

And soon-to-be-released "Hero" by Director Zhang Guoshi meant these three were the top directors in the country.

The students listened excitedly, dreaming of acting in their films.

But Lin Nan knew it wasn't possible yet. These directors had their fixed circles, unreachable for freshmen, unless you had powerful connections.

"Hero" had already been heavily promoted, set to release next month.

The students were eager to watch, thrilled by the star-studded cast and the rumored $30 million investment.

The class bell rudely interrupted the teacher's momentum. "Class dismissed."

"You're bold, daydreaming in the front row," said Zhou Yang, a straightforward and energetic beauty from Liaoning, known for her dancing.

"I just drifted off for a bit. Who knew I'd get caught," Lin Nan defended.

When he first met Zhou Yang, he recognized her as the actress who played the Third Saint Mother—a role that left a deep impression. Unfortunately, most of her later works were lackluster.

"I heard you went to film last month. How was it?" Zhou Yang asked, putting her arm around Lin Nan's shoulder, ignoring his resistance.

"Mind your image," Lin Nan said but didn't shake off her arm.

"If I'm not worried, why should you be? Tell me."

"It was a realistic theme, won't be released. I just gained experience," Lin Nan said truthfully.

Zhou Yang finally let go

, "I thought it was a big role. You dared to take a month off. When I become famous, you can lean on me."

Lin Nan glanced at her long legs.

"What are you looking at?" Zhou Yang ran off to join the girls.

Zhu Yawen came over, "Why do you keep getting involved with her? She's not ladylike at all."

"Careful, or she'll hear and hit you again," Zhu Yawen had been teased by Zhou Yang before, thanks to his mouth.

"Never mind, not worth it. I heard some crews are offering us a chance to visit. Wanna go? Let's go together."

"Which ones?" Lin Nan asked.

"'Happy Doctor', 'Heavenly Sword', 'The Dye House'..."

"Okay, okay," Lin Nan interrupted, stopping Zhu Yawen from continuing.

"Set a time, let's visit 'Heavenly Sword'. It's still in the capital, right?"

"Yes, it is. So, we're going to 'Heavenly Sword'?"

"Isn't that what you want? Think I don't know?"

"Haha, you know me well."

"Hope for some recommendations and collections. Thank you."

Chapter 2: Joining the Crew
### Chapter 2: Joining the Crew

Looking at the young man before him, Director Li was evidently interested.

"How much funding can you provide, a few thousand or tens of thousands?" Director Li smiled, teasing.

"One hundred thousand." Lin Nan was a bit apprehensive. Mainly, he wasn't sure about the production cost of this film, but he figured that given the time and genre, the cost wouldn't be too high.

"Your appearance is also quite suitable, a face with sharp features typical of someone from the Northwest."

Director Li was silent for a while before saying, "With some makeup and a few days in the Northwest's mining climate, you should fit perfectly."

Lin Nan went to hurry the dishes along, clearly, the two directors had something to discuss.

After about ten minutes, Lin Nan knocked and returned to the private room.

"I checked on the dishes; they'll be here soon."

"Lin Nan, you must have heard that this film won't get a public screening permit. It can only go through the film festival route and sell the film."

"If you can provide one hundred thousand and a location, like an abandoned mine, we can sign a contract. You'll get fifteen percent."

Lin Nan understood that this was the result of their earlier discussion.

"I agree."

This response unsettled the two directors. "Are you sure?"

"Sure, I can transfer the money on the first day after the National Day holiday. I'll have my family find a location in the next few days, and we'll head there directly." Lin Nan promised confidently.

"Alright, we'll sign the contract after the holiday. In the meantime, you should read the original work, 'Shen Mu.' We'll give you the script later." Director Li set the time for signing the contract.

Lin Nan's role would be Yuan Fengming.

Over dinner, there was more back-and-forth, and finally, they exchanged contact information and parted ways.

Standing at the school gate, Lin Nan felt refreshed as the breeze blew.

Now, he just had to convince his father. "My dear dad, please go easy on me."

Although Motorola and Nokia had become popular in recent years, Lin Nan still found a landline.

"You little brat, you want to kill me? I should strangle you for asking for a hundred thousand..."

As expected, Lin Nan's hot-tempered father scolded him for ten minutes over the phone, hanging up only to save on phone bills.

But he hadn't outright refused, instead telling Lin Nan to come home or else he would visit the school to see what his son was up to.

To save trouble, Lin Nan decided to make a trip home, though he dreaded the thought of the long train ride.

After briefly informing his dorm mates, he bought a ticket and left.

Since it was the National Day holiday, few people paid attention.

The train environment at that time was indeed poor, noisy, and chaotic.

After a long and bumpy journey, he finally returned to this northwest city, ancient Chang'an, on the third day.

Luckily, his home was in the city, otherwise, it would have been another long journey.

"Dad, I'm back."

Standing at the restaurant entrance, Lin Nan shouted. It was already evening, and there were still some people dining inside.

He walked in casually. The thirty-square-meter hall was quite full, with people eating various dishes and lamb soup.

In the back was a small yard, a legacy from Lin Nan's grandfather.

Two middle-aged women who worked as waitresses saw Lin Nan and shouted towards the kitchen, "Old Lin, your son is back."

Lin Nan smiled and said, "Auntie, don't worry about me."

Old Lin, wearing an apron, came out of the kitchen, took a glance, and went back inside.

Lin Nan found a corner without people and sat down.

That evening, in the yard behind the restaurant, it was just father and son.

Old Lin was munching on peanuts, while Lin Nan poured the wine.

"All you do is mess around. A hundred thousand? Why don't you go to heaven? I don't have that kind of money."

Lin Nan looked at his father's unrelenting expression and didn't rush.

He poured a bit more wine before speaking, "I'm seriously making a movie. Investing a hundred thousand for fifteen percent."

"It's about mining. Didn't my second uncle die in a mine? Now I'm a proper university student, studying at the Film Academy, doing exactly this."

As he spoke, Lin Nan went inside and brought out a magazine, "October," flipping to a page, "Look, just this book, it's about what's in this book."

"'Shen Mu'?"

"Yes," Lin Nan replied.

Old Lin flipped through it, staring at it for a long time, feeling sentimental.

He had only graduated from junior high school, then joined the army and self-taught some knowledge.

"But it's too much money. A few thousand or ten thousand I'd agree to..."

Seeing his father's softening stance, Lin Nan pushed harder.

"My teachers at school know I'm making this film. I fought hard for this role. It'll be an achievement, and the film will be sold abroad..."

Blah blah blah, Lin Nan rambled on for another hour.

"Damn it, that's the savings your grandfather and I amassed over decades. If you squander it all, what will we do for the rest of our lives?"

After repeated guarantees and vows, Old Lin finally gave in to his son.

Ever since this kid turned sixteen, Old Lin really felt he had aged. His son seemed to have grown up suddenly and started taking charge.

The key was, when his son said he would go to university, he really got in, and it was the Film Academy, making Old Lin proud.

When his son asked for a hundred thousand over the phone, he actually knew what the result would be, but still tried to oppose it verbally.

"Do what you think is best. I'll talk to your uncles in the next few days; there shouldn't be any problem with the mine."

Having convinced his father, Lin Nan finally breathed a sigh of relief.

"Dad, don't worry. If it doesn't work out, I'll do whatever you say in the future..."

"Get lost."

Lin Nan stayed home for a night, then prepared to leave the next day.

"Dad, if there's any news, call my school." Lin Nan got on the train under his father's impatient gaze.

The train departed, and Old Lin reluctantly walked back home.

Returning to school, Lin Nan felt exhausted; train travel was draining.

"Director Li, yes, I've got the money ready. The location can be finalized in the next couple of days. You can come to the school after the holiday..."

After coordinating with the director, there were no surprises. To be safe, Lin Nan thought it would be best for Director Li to come to the school and have a teacher witness the contract signing.

Lin Nan's supervising teacher was also a recent graduate from the school and was on campus during the National Day holiday.

Lin Nan explained the situation briefly. After confirming several times, the teacher agreed.

"If you're so determined, I can't dissuade you, but I hope you've thought it through. It's a lot of money."

"I've thought it through. My dad knows, and Director Li isn't a fraud. When he comes to the school to sign the contract, could you find someone to look it over?"

After receiving an affirmative reply, Lin Nan returned to the dorm.

At this time, it was hard for anyone to understand a freshman investing his own money in a film, especially an underground film like this.

Lin Nan only knew this was a starting point. Although the director would later be banned for a few years, it was all worth it, wasn't it?

This experience would make Lin Nan's future path more stable and farther-reaching.

The next day, Lin Nan was called to answer a phone call. His father had acted quickly, with four abandoned mines and several tunnels to choose from.

Lin Nan knew his uncles must have helped, as his father's family was one of the few prominent ones in the village.

The holiday passed quickly, mostly spent on trains.

In the morning, accompanied by his teacher, Lin Nan signed the contract with the director. Another teacher from a different department reviewed the contract and found no issues.

Lin Nan's one hundred thousand would be transferred within a week.

The crew was also about to set off for Lin Nan's hometown, and Lin Nan would go with them.

"Teacher, thank you so much. But there's one more favor I need." Lin Nan said with a smile, somewhat embarrassed.

"Time off, right? Just a month. Come back as soon as you're done."

"I promise not to delay."

Teacher Zhou waved him off, letting him go.

Unlike other departments, the Film Academy encouraged taking on roles. Opportunities were scarce, and practical experience was a crucial part of the curriculum, significantly impacting future development and employment.

Northwest countryside.

Old Lin helped Lin Nan with the money and returned to the provincial capital. Making money was important; his son had already squandered a lot.

The crew set up tents not far from the abandoned mine.

Food and drinks were supplied by the village, with the crew only needing to pay. Prices were indeed low.

The village felt proud, thinking Lin Nan's father had brought the film crew to support the village.

The crew checked several mine tunnels, finding one that matched the script's requirements and was relatively safe.

"Lin Nan, come here for a scene briefing."

The lead actors and director sat in a tent.

"You'll play Yuan Fengming, about 16 years old, a rural boy, simple, innocent, eager to learn, inexperienced, and sincere. You need to convey these traits..."

"Got it, I'll do my best..."

Lin Nan held the script, listening to the director explain the scenes, including the roles of Song Jinming and Tang Chaoy

ang.

This film was very realistic and detailed. Initially, the victim also had the surname Yuan, and Yuan Fengming's father disappeared after going to work, hinting at their relationship.

The ending differed; one died, the other barely survived.

After reading the script, he compared it to the novel.

This was a good film, with profound depictions of human nature and reality, truly an award-winning piece.

However, some explicit content made Lin Nan uneasy, which he recalled was one reason it couldn't be publicly shown.

The main reason was its harsh critique of social realities, portrayed too vividly and realistically.

A full day was spent reading the script together, getting everyone into character.

Props were ready, and shooting would start the next day with the mine scenes.

"Teachers, please guide me." Lin Nan greeted the actors playing Tang Chaoyang and Song Jinming, who had entered the industry a few years earlier. The former was originally a Peking Opera martial artist, the latter also a Film Academy graduate.

"Sure thing, you're my junior." Both were quite approachable.

Mistakes are inevitable. If you spot any, please point them out, and I'll correct them immediately. Thank you.

Chapter 4: Visiting the Set
### Chapter 4: Visiting the Set

Most performing arts students feel the gap between reality and their ideals when they first join a film crew.

At school, you only need to learn and perform as your teachers instruct and as you imagine.

But in a film crew, everything is decided by the director. He won't accommodate you like a teacher, allowing you to try repeatedly without classmates laughing at you.

On set, every time someone shouts "cut," it delays everyone and costs money. That kind of pressure and the unusual looks from others can throw you off balance, causing you to perform poorly, which then worsens the situation.

So visiting the set is very necessary. It allows you to observe from a third-person perspective, think about the process, and prepare yourself.

Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen had arranged to visit the set of "Tian Long Ba Bu." This period should be before the outdoor scenes started, otherwise, who would want to visit Yunnan? Neither of them had the time for that.

"Back then, Senior Sister Yan Danchen also competed for the role of Wang Yuyan. I heard her costume looked stunning, but she lost to our Miss Liu in the end," Zhu Yawen gossiped to Lin Nan.

Of course, it was beautiful. The Chang'e from "Bao Lian Deng" couldn't be anything but beautiful, right?
Lin Nan had seen that costume test footage online.

With her delicate eyebrows slightly furrowed, she had a naturally pitiful look, fair-skinned and beautiful, eliciting sympathy.

Unfortunately, she met Miss Liu, who became famous overnight and was dubbed a fairy.

"You're not going there just for the girls, are you?" Lin Nan looked at Zhu Yawen with a lecherous expression.

"Aren't you? What guy doesn't envy Wei Jia Ye and Duan Gongzi?"

"I envy Duan Gongzi's father more," Lin Nan weakly added.

"True." Zhu Yawen was stunned for a moment before giving Lin Nan a thumbs-up.

When they arrived at the set, they were grateful they brought their student IDs, which saved them a lot of trouble.

This series was to be filmed in five months, with few scenes left in the capital. Most would be concentrated on outdoor locations later.

They got badges from the staff and entered the set with some other visitors.

A dialogue scene was being filmed, with some actors without scenes watching on the side.

"Little Whirlwind is really popular now," Zhu Yawen said jealously.

"Indeed, very popular." Lin Nan knew that Driver Lin was extremely popular in Southeast Asia, especially in places like Thailand.

On the outer circle, Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen watched the stars from a distance.

"Goddess," Zhu Yawen exclaimed upon seeing Christy Chung.

Lin Nan nodded in agreement. The female stars from Hong Kong still exuded timeless beauty, each with their unique charm.

"I have to admit, Senior Brother Hu from the Central Academy of Drama is really good at acting. Even though he's a drama actor, he looks just like a hero." On set was a dialogue scene with Qiao Feng. Lin Nan took a glance and was impressed, knowing he would later become a top actor.

This year, he won the Golden Bramble Award for Best Actor for a film with Liu Ye.

Lin Nan saw Jiang Xin, who was still a delicate beauty, not yet the robust Hua Fei of the future.

The director seemed to have called for a cut and was discussing with a few supporting actors. Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen moved closer for a better look.

"Producer Zhang really knows how to pick people. The costumes look amazing on everyone," Lin Nan agreed completely. Zhang Dahuzhi's casting choices were impeccable.

His philosophy was that men should be handsome, and women should be beautiful.

Lin Nan glanced at Zhu Yawen, remembering that Lao Zhu also pursued an acting route, doing both period dramas and modern dramas.

They saw Chen Hao in costume, and both exclaimed in unison, "Beautiful."

"If I had known, I would have invited Luo Jin," Zhu Yawen regretted.

In the two months Lin Nan had been at school, he was closest to Zhu Yawen. He got along well with Zhou Yang, a girl.

Other classmates, apart from a few in his dorm, were just classmates. They might see each other in class, but not much outside of that.

Lao Zhu was different; he had many friends and got along with everyone.

"Everyone's actively looking for film crews. Who's idle like me, visiting sets? Visiting sets can't compare to joining a crew."

Lin Nan mocked.

"Xiao Zhu." Just as Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen were chatting, a voice called from a distance.

Before Lin Nan could react, Zhu Yawen excitedly waved, "Xixi."

Then, Zhu Yawen ran past Lin Nan towards Liu Yifei, who was dressed in pink, with a radiant smile.

"If life were only as beautiful as the first sight..."

Lin Nan could only think of this line from Nalan to describe Miss Wang at that moment.

Blending with the peach blossoms, a fifteen-year-old girl.

"Ah, Xiao Linzi is here too." She called out in surprise.

Lin Nan was speechless. Could she stop calling him that, Miss Wang?

She led them to a corner where there were several tents and many chairs—a resting area.

"I'm so glad you could come. How do I look in this outfit?"

She twirled around happily.

"Beautiful."

"Very pretty."

She seemed dissatisfied with this answer but accepted it.

The three sat down. Liu Yifei's mother had just left.

"I went back to school last month and heard Xiao Linzi was filming a movie. How did it go? I want to make a movie too. I wonder when I'll have the chance..."

She seemed to be very chatty after being in the crew for a long time, talking a lot to her familiar classmates.

"It's done. What's there to envy? It's just a low-budget film with an investment of over a million yuan, nothing compared to your stunning beauty, Miss Wang," Lin Nan replied with a smile.

This flattery clearly pleased her.

Zhu Yawen's expression towards Lin Nan changed. He thought, "Linzi, I never knew you were so good at flattering girls."

Why did he talk to Zhou Yang like he was talking to a buddy?
They chatted happily.

"Unfortunately, I have to go to Yunnan in a couple of days. You probably won't visit the set, but I'll bring you gifts when I wrap up."

Liu Yifei promised earnestly.

At that moment, someone approached, "Are you Xixi's classmates?"
Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen quickly stood up, "Hello, Auntie. I'm Lin Nan (Zhu Yawen)."

Liu's mother smiled, but Lin Nan felt a sense of aloofness.

"This is my classmate, Zhu Yawen and Lin Nan. Lin Nan has already filmed a movie," Liu Yifei introduced, holding her mother's arm.

"Oh, already filming a movie? What kind of movie? Who's the director? Is it an art film or a commercial film?"

Liu's mother seemed more interested, and Lin Nan didn't expect three questions in a row, "Auntie, it's a low-budget film, a realistic subject, aiming for film festivals."

Lin Nan had to be vague. Liu's mother had an elegant, cold demeanor, a typical beauty, but beauties often had a common trait: arrogance.

With her perspective, she would definitely look down on "Mang Jing."

"Oh, then work hard. Aim to shoot big productions," Liu's mother said less enthusiastically.

"You guys chat. I'll check on the crew and your scenes," Liu's mother left again.

"My mom is always like this, a bit cold. I'm used to it. Don't mind her," Liu Yifei sensed the atmosphere.

"Auntie is right. We all have to work hard," Lin Nan said appropriately.

Zhu Yawen was quieter, having never joined a crew. Watching Lin Nan and Liu Yifei chat happily, he felt a bit envious, "Hey, consider my feelings, you two."

"Aren't you joining a crew next year? Even if you're not the lead, haha," Lin Nan teased.

The three chatted and laughed for a long time. The crew seemed to have some arrangements, so Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen had to leave.

"Remember to bring me a gift, Miss Wang," Lin Nan smiled at Liu Yifei.

"I won't forget," Liu Yifei laughed, looking beautiful.

The two left the set and prepared to take a car back to school.

"You're impressive. I never noticed how good you are at flattering girls. I just watched you two chat non-stop," Zhu Yawen teased.

"She's so pretty. Is it wrong to say a few more words?"

Lin Nan defended himself, purely appreciating beauty.

"True, everyone loves beauty."

Zhu Yawen couldn't argue with Lin Nan and gave up.

"But her mother coming over felt weird, like..."

"Like visiting a rich classmate's home and feeling looked down upon by their mother?"

"Yes, exactly, especially after she heard you were making a movie. She seemed more interested," Zhu Yawen felt the same.

"Liu Auntie is a dancer, having won the Five-One Project Award and the Wenhua Performance Award. Seeing us as kids is natural. How else could she be enthusiastic?"

Zhu Yawen was stunned. He didn't know Liu Yifei's mother was so impressive.

Lin Nan understood that Liu's mother was proud and hoped her daughter would be equally proud, including her friends and social circle.

When they returned to school

, it was already afternoon. Fortunately, they had no classes, allowing time for the visit. Otherwise, they would have missed "Tian Long Ba Bu," as the crew was already packing up to move to Yunnan.

"Want to grab something to eat first?"

Zhu Yawen suggested.

Lin Nan agreed, and they decided not to eat at the school canteen.

Ordering three home-style dishes, they chatted while eating.

"After visiting the set of 'Tian Long Ba Bu' today, I'm truly envious. Yifei's starting point is so high, with 'Jin Fen Shi Jia' and 'Tian Long.' I wonder when I can shoot such high-budget films," Zhu Yawen confided.

Lin Nan didn't know how to respond. In recent years, wuxia dramas were very popular, especially those by a few masters, with Jin Dashi being the most prominent.

As long as it was a remake, the ratings were guaranteed to be high, and the shows were well-made. Zhang Dahuzhi's remakes, though criticized initially, later gained positive reviews.

What was once considered trash turned out to be a gem in comparison, only understood through hindsight.

"Don't worry, we'll both be famous. You'll win TV and film awards," Lin Nan reassured.

"Stop it. Even kids don't fall for that," Zhu Yawen joked, but with a smile on his face.

Lin Nan was speechless. He meant it sincerely.

If there are any typos, please let me know. Thank you.

Chapter 5: No update Here
### Chapter 5: No Update Here

Today, I'm feeling under the weather. My body is weak and I can't muster the energy to write. As much as I want to continue the story and share it with all of you, I need to take some time to rest and recover. I'll update later when I'm feeling better and can give the chapter the attention it deserves. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

(End of Chapter)

Chapter 6: The Talent Agency
### Chapter 6: The Talent Agency

Laughing and chatting, they entered the school gates.

Someone spread the word that a talent agency was coming to sign students, attracting many classmates to join the excitement.

This period marked the early stages of domestic talent agencies.

Regardless of its later reputation, when it comes to talent agencies and agents, one cannot ignore the name Hua Yi and the person Wang Jinghua.

"Linzi, should we go take a look too?" Zhu Yawen clearly wanted to check it out.

"We're just freshmen. Do you want to sign with an agency?" Lin Nan asked, still undecided himself. Sometimes, knowing too much makes one's thoughts jump around.

But Lin Nan also wanted to seize every possible opportunity, just like how he seized the chance with Director Li Yang and "Mang Jing."

"Then let's go take a look." Lin Nan hesitated but decided to join Zhu Yawen in the excitement.

Usually, talent agencies directly inquire with the school about the students' performance, selecting based on their overall appearance and grades. This applies to newcomers.

Child stars are different; they generally have families or companies behind them and don't need to come to the school.

Lin Nan remembered that Zhu Yawen had once signed with Hua Yi, but ended up with a company called Yi Xin.

Regarding student employment, the Film Academy is more open than its neighbor. As long as it benefits the students, they accept it.

This openness makes many students prefer the Film Academy over the Drama Academy.

As for which school is better, it depends on the students' perspectives.

Both schools have different labels: one produces actors, the other stars, each with its own characteristics.

But undeniably, from the school name itself, they have set two different paths.

One focuses on drama, the other on film.

The latter has a brighter feature: producing great directors.

Outside the big classroom, many students were in line, with some teachers maintaining order. Jumping up to look inside, it seemed like there was an audition.

Lin Nan and Zhu Yawen couldn't squeeze in, but they could see that the crowd ranged from freshmen to seniors.

Nowadays, there are few film crews but many students.

However, the good news is that this year, the coal-electricity guidance price was canceled. What does this mean?
It means coal prices will rise, and the generous coal bosses will soon invest heavily in the film industry. Various crews will sprout up like mushrooms after the rain.

"They really are signing people," Zhu Yawen said, standing on tiptoe to look.

Most Film Academy students lean towards film crews and companies, with fewer aiming for drama theaters compared to their neighbors.

"Senior, which company is inside?" Lin Nan asked someone who had just squeezed out.

"Hua Yi, of course. Unfortunately, they didn't pick me," the person said, not annoyed, and left.

Hua Yi has made a big name for itself these past two years, being the first in the mainland, starting as an advertising company.

They have Director Feng, with films like "Sorry Baby" and this year's "Big Shot's Funeral," making the company famous.

And there's the top agent.

"Lin Nan, Zhu Yawen, you guys are here too."

It was their class advisor, Teacher Zhou, coming over.

"Teacher, we're just here to join the fun."

Lin Nan had no intention of trying to sign with a company yet. It wasn't the right time; he needed to wait at least until after the New Year and good news from Director Li Yang.

"Yeah, they might not pick us, though I think I'm pretty good," Zhu Yawen said, a bit shamelessly, but that's his personality.

"It's good to take a look. You'll have to deal with this sooner or later," the teacher said kindly, looking at the two students.

"The people inside are from Hua Yi. You can go in and try. It's good to gain some experience and insight. It's not just about learning well in school; you also need opportunities and to understand the audience's preferences. Talent agencies are an intermediary channel."

"Okay, teacher." They agreed eagerly.

"Shall we give it a try?" Zhu Yawen suggested, watching Teacher Zhou leave.

Lin Nan nodded. Why not give it a try? There's nothing to lose.

He was self-aware that according to the proper process, without background or resources, even signing with Hua Yi would start from the bottom, taking at least five years to make progress.

Currently, Hua Yi already had a batch of leading artists. Newcomers would need a long time to rise, or they might never rise, ultimately constrained by contracts.

Others might handle this, but Lin Nan couldn't accept such inefficiency. Otherwise, why bother coming back again?

Lin Nan followed Zhu Yawen, who, despite saying he didn't want to, was eager to try.

Lin Nan was simply bored, accompanying Zhu Yawen for the experience.

Most people went in and out quickly, within a few minutes, while a few stayed for ten to twelve minutes.

Zhu Yawen belonged to the latter.

"They said I'm not suited for playing a young man, more for military tough-guy roles," Zhu Yawen said, touching his chin, a bit unhappy, though his family indeed had military members.

No wonder, agents have an eye for this.

Lin Nan patted his shoulder, "Real men should play military tough guys."

Saying that, Lin Nan entered the big classroom.

He looked at the people inside, and they looked at him.

"Please sit down and introduce yourself first," a thirty-something woman said, accompanied by a young woman who seemed to be her assistant.

Lin Nan sat down. "My name is Lin Nan, class of 2002, undergraduate, 183 cm tall, 74 kg," he said formally.

"Haha, no need to be so serious." The woman laughed. "I'm Wang Jinghua, general manager responsible for artist contracts at Hua Yi.

Your image is very good. Do you have any plans for your future acting career?"

"I'll think about it after graduation. I'm just a freshman, academics are important," Lin Nan replied nonchalantly.

"A freshman? There are many freshmen in your class who are already acting. Liu Yifei is in your class, right? She's filming her second drama this year, 'Tian Long,' a big wuxia production." The woman seemed surprised by Lin Nan's attitude.

"Yes, I just visited the set. Indeed, it's a big production. I saw many Hua Yi artists there," Lin Nan added, talking more.

Hu Jun was one of this woman's artists.

Wang Jinghua became more curious. The previous students were very eager, answering every question enthusiastically, unlike this student, who seemed a bit indifferent and unconcerned.

"Have you acted in anything before?" Wang Jinghua asked again.

Lin Nan looked at the agent, "I acted in a low-budget film," he said naturally.

"What's the movie's name?"

Wang Jinghua suddenly became interested, noticing a slight smile when Lin Nan mentioned acting in a movie.

"It's a film adapted from the novel 'Sacred Wood.' It can't be publicly shown."

Lin Nan didn't want to continue. He entered just to complete the interview process, casually asking and answering.

But realizing the woman opposite was the agent queen, he wanted to end it quickly, yet she was very professional, not following the expected routine. Shouldn't she say: you can go back and wait for news?

"Li Yang's 'Mang Jing'?"

Lin Nan felt uneasy. How did she know so clearly?

"Yes."

Wang Jinghua exchanged glances with her assistant and looked at Lin Nan differently.
en.

"However, others may not necessarily see potential in me," Zhu Yawen heard Lin Nan's words, scratching his head, beginning to face reality.

"It's good that you understand. Don't daydream all the time. But if you happen to step on some luck, then signing might be worth considering," Lin Nan concluded.

He needed to plan his own path. If Li Yang sold the rights, how much could he get? With money in hand, what should he do?

Huang Jiaozhu of the 1996 class received high praise for this year's "Emperor of Han," while "Wind and Clouds" is also popular everywhere. Children are even playing with wooden swords and fantastic swords made from wood, mimicking martial arts on the streets.

Lin Nan pondered whether he should promote himself with the money?

Television dramas are hard to handle unless coal bosses support them. But low-budget films could be attempted. He still had some ideas in his mind.

Moreover, there are so many senior directors in the school, still just bystanders. And the graduates from the Acting Department, along with classmates and alumni, have low salaries.

He could set up his own plan, seemingly effortlessly.

As Lin Nan contemplated, he suddenly felt a sense of promise, a great deal of promise.

"Linzi, what's with that smile? It's freaking me out," Zhu Yawen tapped Lin Nan, looking puzzled.

Finally, I can say: seeking votes, recommendations, and collections. Thank you.

(The End of this Chapter)

Chapter 7: In Berlin
### Chapter 7: In Berlin

Sure enough, within a few days, Lin Nan received a call from Director Li.

That day, Wang Jinghua mentioned that Li Yang had sent the film to Berlin, and this call was about that.

Li Yang even asked if Lin Nan wanted to come over and have some fun when the time came, saying he could cover Lin Nan's accommodations.

Lin Nan said he'd consider it and call back later, leaving Li Yang with his hotel contact information.

Lin Nan remembered the director's unique promotional style, carrying self-printed posters everywhere. During a previous film festival, his contact information was almost left out of the festival directory, nearly making him an "unregistered participant."

In this call, Lin Nan specifically reminded Li Yang about this, but Li Yang jokingly scolded him for underestimating him.

Lin Nan was tempted; he could visit during the award days, which would be around the Chinese New Year.

As for the travel expenses, such a showy event would likely be funded by his father, who would surely want to boast about it for a while.

Lin Nan took the time to buy a new phone, a Nokia 7650 this year, which cost all of the fee he earned from Director Li's film and another couple of thousand on top.

It was given to him by his father when he returned home, looking noticeably skinnier, with an extra month of living expenses.

He spent it all on the phone, Nokia's first model in China with a built-in digital camera.

To Lin Nan, this phone couldn't compare to future models, but at this point, it was a rare item, especially with its camera feature.

After getting a phone card, before he could call his father, Zhu Yawen took it to play with.

When Lin Nan found him, Zhu Yawen was taking pictures of himself and a female classmate, aiming the phone and snapping away.

He even checked if the angle was right and if they were in the shot.

"Can't you just be satisfied? You're getting addicted to this," Lin Nan complained.

"Wait a bit, I want to take one with Zhou Yang too." Zhu Yawen ignored Lin Nan's urging, waving to Zhou Yang in the distance.

They had a lot of fun, eventually pulling Lin Nan in as well. It truly created a memorable atmosphere.

Such moments were worth cherishing as part of their campus life.

Despite the distractions of campus life, students were still hustling between school and outside opportunities, seeking paths in magazine shoots, drama groups, and even small roles.

With the country joining the WTO last year, the film industry became more vibrant.

A professor published a paper stating: "Further market opening presents unprecedented opportunities and challenges for the film industry..."

The film industry, among the most impacted sectors, should adopt a positive attitude.

Lin Nan knew that the fastest-growing twenty years were beginning.

In mid-December, "Hero" premiered, dominating media and newspapers with its coverage.

Director Zhang's first commercial blockbuster exceeded expectations with its star-studded cast and vibrant visual style, creating a box office miracle.

Lin Nan watched it with Zhu Yawen, Zhou Yang, Jiang Yi Yan, and other classmates and alumni seated farther away.

From the start, everyone was captivated by the colors, and the appearance of major stars: Nameless, Broken Sword, Flying Snow...

When the Qin King summoned Nameless, recounting the assassination attempts by the three assassins, the grand narrative unfolded...

"Grand, majestic, this is an epic masterpiece," Zhu Yawen mumbled continuously beside Lin Nan, with the entire theater filled with praise.

A group of film academy students were mesmerized, imagining themselves in the film.

Leaving the cinema, Lin Nan couldn't escape the chatter, "I want to be in Director Zhang's film," Jiang Yi Yan and Zhou Yang chirped.

"Linzi, why haven't you said anything?" Zhu Yawen asked, draping an arm over Lin Nan's shoulder.

Lin Nan glanced at him, "What can I say? Damn, that was amazing!"

In retrospect, "Hero" was a groundbreaking masterpiece, setting a precedent for domestic blockbusters. By any measure, it was a success.

But media feedback wasn't all positive; critics and some viewers lambasted it for being overly mystical, pretentious, and melodramatic, with accusations of justifying a tyrannical ruler.

Lin Nan cursed a bit upon hearing Zhu Yawen mention this.

So what if it was the First Emperor? Without him, there wouldn't be a unified China.

But Lin Nan was resigned to the fact that at this time, the First Emperor was still despised, Zhu Yuanzhang still mocked, and the Ming Dynasty infamous for its secret police.

In contrast, "Yongzheng Dynasty" and "Kangxi Dynasty" painted the Qing Dynasty in a favorable light.

Oddly, foreigners highly praised "Hero."

A month later, domestic box office hit 200 million, and global box office reached 150 million USD.

With these figures publicized, the ridicule subsided somewhat.

But the film industry was ablaze, especially China Film Group, various film companies, and eager top directors.

Lin Nan went home for winter break, receiving another call from Li Yang, inviting him to Berlin again.

This time, Lin Nan gladly accepted, with travel expenses funded by his father, who proudly spread the news among neighbors.

Lin Nan realized his phone could have covered a round trip to Berlin.

In late January, Lin Nan boarded a flight from the capital to Berlin.

On February 1st, Lin Nan arrived in Berlin, personally picked up by Li Yang.

"Director, why did you come yourself?"

Lin Nan was touched, but Li Yang joked, "Hiring someone to pick you up costs money."

Lin Nan was speechless.

"Just kidding. Let's go try the sausages here. I used to work in Germany, know the place well," Li Yang said, leading Lin Nan to a Mercedes.

The driver, a fellow Chinese, drove while Li Yang and Lin Nan sat in the back.

"I have some industry contacts here who told me there's a good chance of winning, but let's stay calm. The main goal is to sell the film, winning is a bonus," Li Yang said nonchalantly.

But Lin Nan could tell he cared.

"You're an investor and a film student. Visiting here is worthwhile. The 'Hero' crew is also here, with much grander arrangements, even flying in a charter," Li Yang said, sounding a bit envious.

"But based on Berlin's preferences, Director Zhang's 'Hero' might not be favored over your 'Blind Shaft,' don't you think?" Lin Nan smiled.

Li Yang then scrutinized Lin Nan, "Didn't expect you to see so far. Those students back at school might not have your breadth of vision."

There was a time when Chinese cinema faced a choice: emulate Hollywood or align with Europe.

They chose the latter. Among Europe's three major film festivals, each has its tastes: artistic, commercial, and complex realism.

At the hotel, Lin Nan, Li Yang, and a few others had a meal.

Germany boasts over 1,500 types of sausages; trying three a day would last nearly two years without repetition. Lin Nan enjoyed a sausage feast.

On February 6th, the film festival officially began.

Films from around the world gathered here, with most not competing but seeking buyers.

Buyers and sellers scouted each other.

Li Yang told Lin Nan he had found several potential buyers, still negotiating prices.

"Hold off until the awards are announced," was Lin Nan's advice.

Li Yang understood this maximizes profit, especially if they win.

As days passed, competing films were viewed and scored, leading to the final moments.

That day, anticipation peaked.

Director Zhang's "Hero" won the Alfred Bauer Silver Bear Award, far from expectations. It was an award for pioneering new cinematic perspectives.

Li Yang, as both director and screenwriter, won the Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution, a ranked award, not a consolation prize.

Lin Nan didn't care about the main Golden Bear, the Jury Grand Prix Silver Bear, or the Best Director Silver Bear.

He only remembered Li Yang, excited, hugging him before going on stage. Whether he spoke German or English wasn't clear, but Lin Nan heard his name in Chinese and responded instinctively.

People around turned to look at him. Li Yang raised the trophy towards Lin Nan on stage.

For the first time, so many strangers focused on him, smiling and applauding. Lin Nan also clapped, making the atmosphere even more lively.

Back at the hotel, everyone was joyful, "Tomorrow, domestic media will surely report on this. Director Li, you overshadowed Director Zhang."

Lin Nan congratulated Li Yang, ready to return home as the new term approached.

"I'll stay a few more days to sell at a good price. Initially, I was going to accept all overseas investment, but your 100,000 yuan made me determined to mortgage my house. Now, with this award, we must make all the profit we deserve."

Li Yang was in high spirits, an award guaranteeing substantial earnings.

"I'll wait for your good news at school."

"Just wait, ha-ha."

The plane landed in the capital, Lin Nan disembarked with his suitcase.

"Taxi, to the film academy," he directed a cab, heading straight to school.

Turning on his phone, he saw several missed calls from Zhu Yawen, Zhou Yang, his father, and some unknown numbers.

Arriving at school, the youthful atmosphere was refreshing.

The term had started two days ago, but Lin Nan had called ahead to get leave.

Back at the dormitory, he encountered Zhu Yawen before entering.

"Linzi, you really went to Berlin, you dog!"

Zhu Yawen punched him playfully, "You're famous now."

"What happened

?" Lin Nan asked, pretending ignorance.

"Xinhua News already reported it. Your 'Blind Shaft' won the Silver Bear. The director thanked you on stage, and there's even a silly photo of you."

Lin Nan was speechless. Was he really just dazedly snapped in a photo?

Taking the newspaper from Zhu Yawen, he felt relieved. He didn't look silly, just expressionless.

Yesterday afternoon, the contract was signed.

Thanks to the first person who rewarded this book, Bu Han Er Li Zhi Nian.

If there are any typos, please let me know, I'll fix them as soon as possible.

(End of Chapter)

Chapter 8: Writing the Script
### Chapter 8: Writing the Script Yourself

"Did you really invest?"

Julia whispered softly.

Lin Nan could only nod, unable to hide it. Director Li Yang specifically thanked him during the meeting, mentioning the investment.

"How much money did the movie sell for? How much can you get?"

Looking at Lin Nan with curiosity, Julia shook her head. "When I came back, Director Li was still negotiating, so there's no result yet."

Upon receiving this answer, Julia felt somewhat disappointed.

"Old Teacher asked me to remind you to go to her office to apply for leave as soon as you come back, and you can't skip class this afternoon."

Lin Nan frowned. He had originally planned to take a nap in the afternoon, but now he had no choice.

In the corridor, everyone who knew Lin Nan greeted him. Obviously, Big Mouth had spread the news about Lin Nan.

"Teacher Zhou, I'm here to apply for leave."

"Oh, back from Berlin?" Teacher Zhou joked.

"Yes, I'm back."

"Now that you're back, go to class in the afternoon. And not long from now, the next batch of students will be taking the art exam again. You and Julia will be responsible for maintaining order on-site. Your senior brothers and sisters won't have time."

"Okay, I understand. I'll head back now."

"Go ahead."

Encountering conscription as soon as he returned, Lin Nan was really unlucky.

There was no acting class in the afternoon, only cultural classes.

Entering the classroom with Julia, they unexpectedly saw the rarely seen beauty.

"Little Lin, here's your gift."

Lin Nan instinctively accepted it. It was a pen, hmm, a foreign brand.

"What about you? Oh right, 'Dragon' has finished filming." It dawned on Lin Nan that Miss Wang had finished filming, hence her visit to school.

"Yes, after finishing 'Dragon', I'll have some free time except for a few magazine shoots." Sixteen-year-old Liu Yifei's voice was crisp, sounding like the tinkling of jade.

"You guys, make room for others." Julia chattered on the side, earning a glare from Liu Yifei, who looked cute and adorable.

"Xixi, let them pass." Lin Nan's tone was light, a demeanor that Liu Yifei had never experienced before, as he was usually obedient.

No matter when or where, there are always cliques.

In this classroom, Liu Yifei was the youngest, and her circle only included Lin Nan, Julia, and Jiang Yanyan. Since she rarely came to school, the others were somewhat cold towards her, perhaps even jealous.

The teacher also lamented during class that the only time students come is in February when school starts, while the rest of the time they're out running around, regardless of their year.

Some time ago, "Legend of the Liquid Sword" started filming. Before winter vacation, Julia had dragged Lin Nan to audition.

The results were obvious; both of them were rejected. Julia still felt a bit aggrieved, especially considering her background as a non-action actress.

This production was cutthroat from start to finish, and Lin Nan was deeply impressed. It rarely got remade, unlike "The Condor Heroes," which had numerous adaptations.

"I plan to use the money from Director Li's movie to make my own film."

Lin Nan said this to Julia during lunch in the cafeteria.

Old Zhu almost choked, coughing for a while. "Are you crazy? How much money can you get, and you want to make your own movie?"

Julia never expected her best friend to have such an impractical idea.

"Are you really planning to do this?" Julia asked again to confirm.

"Yes."

Looking at Lin Nan's determined expression, Julia realized he was serious.

"What genre? Do you have a script? Actors, directors, production team?"

Lin Nan raised his head. "The script is in progress, and it'll be low-budget. As for directors, actors, and the team, do you think our school lacks them? There are plenty of senior brothers and sisters looking for opportunities everywhere. How can the directors miss the chance to make a film when there's an opportunity like this?"

Lin Nan said confidently.

"That's true. If there's a chance, think of me."

Lin Nan nodded. It depended on what he was going to write, or rather, copy, in the next few days.

He would probably have to ask senior brothers and sisters from the literature department to proofread it.

After that day, Lin Nan painfully recalled his memories.

Back in Hengdian, he had watched countless films just to chat up those actresses, including serious films.

Domestic and foreign, art films, science fiction, commercial films.

He had seen films by famous actors and directors.

But recalling them now was truly difficult. Although he had boasted to those girls at the time, it was different now; he had to write it down, turn it into a script.

Lin Nan spent the whole night scratching his head, finally deciding to plagiarize "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". It might cost a lot to produce it in America, but it was different in China. Prices were incomparable. He estimated that Li Yang could give him one or two million yuan.

The film that won an award in Berlin should be worth that much in Europe.

Lin Nan spent another two days and nights perfecting his so-called script.

It might be full of holes.

Now thinking back, Ruth was still as charming as ever.

Closing the script, he saw five characters on the cover: "Warmth in the Heart."

Lin Nan localized it.

On March 3rd, Director Li Yang returned to China. During media interviews, he emphasized that "Blind Well" was by no means an "underground film." Although it didn't represent China in the Berlin Film Festival, it couldn't change the fact that it was a local film.

Lin Nan knew Li Yang wanted to release it in China. He had prepared four endings for the film.

But this still couldn't change the mindset of the film bureau.

"Lin Nan, the film rights have been sold. It's quite popular in Europe."

The time to reveal the results arrived. Based on a 15% investment share, converted into domestic currency, Lin Nan could get three million and thirty-eight thousand.

But Lin Nan had forgotten something terrifying. When he signed the contract initially, it was in his personal name.

This meant taxes.

"It hurts so much." Lin Nan grabbed his chest, smiling bitterly.

Li Yang probably had anticipated this.

"When you signed the contract, you didn't expect to win an award. Later, it escalated, and you realized it was signed under your name. If you continue to invest in movies in the future, I suggest you establish a company."

Lin Nan pondered, "I'll just set up a studio."

Lin Nan took out the newly made script from his bag. "Li Director, could you please take a look?"

Li Yang took it with a puzzled expression. "Script?"

As he began to browse through it, his speed was not slow, skimming through it.

After about twenty minutes, he finished reading.

"It's a romance film. From my perspective, it's a very good script, but it's not suitable for me to direct this kind of film."

Li Yang understood well; he was suitable for realistic themes, leaning towards realism.

"If you lack investment when the time comes, you can tell me. I know some people who are willing to invest in romance or art films, but they're not interested in my films."

Li Yang self-deprecatingly remarked.

"But it might be different in the future. Your first film, which wasn't highly regarded, still won the Silver Bear."

"Let's hope so."

The next day, Lin Nan and Li Yang's assistant went to settle the funds and pay the taxes. Lin Nan had around 1.89 million yuan in his bank account, which was heart-wrenching.

Meanwhile, Li Yang's assistant looked at Lin Nan with envy.

Today, 1.89 million yuan was something many people wouldn't even dare to dream of.

Lin Nan called his father and told him about the situation. His old man was speechless for a while, especially when Lin Nan mentioned his plans to invest in making a movie. "Just keep 100,000 yuan as savings. Don't spend money recklessly. You're getting older, see if you can find a wife."

Lin Nan chatted with his father for over half an hour, feeling warm hearing those words again after so long. In his past life, he had never married, which was a sore spot for his father. Hearing it again now felt very touching.

Lin Nan returned to school, ready to seek help from his teachers.

When the teachers heard that Lin Nan had already written the script and had 1.89 million yuan, the teacher in his thirties, Teacher Zhou, was speechless.

"Is it the bonus from 'Blind Well'?"

"Yes, Director Li said the script was very good, but it's not suitable for him."

Finally, Lin Nan was taken to the offices of the directors and photography departments.

When they heard that Lin Nan, a freshman, wanted to invest 1.89 million yuan, some of the teachers' eyes lit up.

But they were still educators and advised Lin Nan against it. Investing in movies was risky and easy to lose money.

Lin Nan couldn't tell them that the movie would probably make a profit.

Soft science fiction with romance plus some comedy elements; with the current film consumption level in this stage, it would definitely not lose money.

Some teachers were very professional and gave Lin Nan a budget.

Even if they used all students from the school, whether as actors or directors, cameramen, editors, etc., Lin Nan still needed at least 3 million yuan. Even with rough calculations, he needed a minimum of 4 million yuan for safety.

So, he needed to find at least 1.2 million yuan in investment? The more, the better?

"If you can gather all the investment, I can recommend a director for you. It should be enough for a month." This was a suggestion from a teacher in the photography department to Lin Nan.

As for the photography department, they were even more capable; the photography department of the Beijing Film Academy was indeed formidable.

Lin Nan felt that the director's department was really hard. Other departments like literature, photography, performance, and even the fine arts department would come to snatch jobs from the director's department.

But when it came to investing money, he really had no choice but to contact Li Yang.

"Director Li, I really need your help. It's about investing in a movie."

Li Yang thought for a moment. "I'll help you set up a meeting with someone tomorrow. I'll let you know."

These days, when movies are looking for investments, they usually consider state-owned enterprises like China Film Group first."

Li Yang paused, then continued, "But China Film Group definitely won't invest in you, a freshman, because you're not a director and you don't have any outstanding achievements to show, even if you have a decent script."

Did Big Brother want to discourage me to this extent?

Perhaps sensing Lin Nan's anger, there was laughter on the other end of the phone.

"I'll arrange a meeting with someone from China Film Group for you. If they ask, just tell them I'm the producer. This is the only help I can offer you, my little brother. I hope the Silver Bear we just won can help you."

"Thank you so much, Brother. I'm very grateful. Haha." Lin Nan conceded and recognized him as his big brother, despite the age difference.

Please support me, thank you.

(End of this chapter)

Chapter 9: The Film Crew
### Chapter 9: The Film Crew

Next, Li Yang explained to Lin Nan why he suggested contacting people from Shanghai Film Group.

At the end of 2001, various giants in the domestic film industry held a meeting, attending three symposiums organized by the Film Producers Association, the Development and Screening Association, and the Urban Cinema Development Association.

Initially, Shanghai Film Group was confident they could overthrow China Film's monopoly on imported films in one fell swoop, and they were very optimistic about their chances.

Whether it was the official media or the lower-tier media, everyone was optimistic that Shanghai Film could topple the big brother and establish a new leader.

But in the end, somehow, China Film's position remained unshaken, and Shanghai Film's momentum was suppressed. A newly established Huaxia Film absorbed many giants into its fold but still only had distribution rights for imported films, not the import rights.

The import rights remained firmly in the hands of China Film.

The current situation is that Shanghai Film feels it was China Film who made the move, and the two sides are at odds.

As the traditional territory of China Film, the Film Academy would have a high success rate if it directly sought investment from Shanghai Film.

This was Li Yang's analysis, but he still suggested Lin Nan try China Film first. If it doesn't work out and he gets rejected, it's okay. That's the desired outcome.

Shanghai Film would definitely be interested in competing with China Film, even taking them head-on.

After listening to Li Yang's words, Lin Nan realized he was still quite inexperienced.

Lin Nan found a free moment and asked a teacher to arrange a meeting with a department head from China Film. Perhaps out of respect for the teacher, the person agreed to meet Lin Nan.

The rejection was genuine, and the reason was valid. So many veteran directors and seniors were seeking investment.

Lin Nan, lacking experience, a film crew, or achievements, was unlikely to get investment. The group suggested he should focus on studying and take it slow.

With this, Lin Nan felt relieved and was ready to meet people from Shanghai Film.

This visit today was to avoid future troubles.

In a coffee shop, Lin Nan met with someone from Shanghai Film, a man in his thirties with glasses, while Li Yang did not come.

"You must be Lin Nan? Indeed, young and promising. Director Li mentioned you were confident he would win an award and even invested 100,000 yuan." The other party smiled warmly.

"Hello, it's Director Li's praise."

"Did you bring the script? Let me have a look. I used to work at Shanghai Film Studio."

"I did. Here you go."

Lin Nan took a sip of coffee while watching the other person flip through the script.

Half an hour later, the man adjusted his glasses and returned the script to Lin Nan.

"Director Li is the supervisor. I've read the script, and it's very good. Director Li mentioned you were rejected by China Film?"

"Yes, their reasoning was that many veterans were waiting for investment, so they couldn't accommodate newcomers for now," Lin Nan said tactfully.

"That's how it is here; qualifications are always the priority. Shanghai Film is a bit better. We can invest in this project, cover your remaining funds, and help with distribution."

Lin Nan paused, "What are the conditions?"

The other party couldn't be this agreeable without conditions.

"We'll invest 2.2 million yuan, handle the promotion and distribution, and take a 65% share."

Lin Nan's heart tightened. It wasn't that simple after all, but since they could solve the promotion and distribution issues, giving up an extra 10% wasn't a big deal.

"I heard you wrote the script. Are you interested in directing in the future? Director Li Yang managed both directing and writing for 'Blind Shaft'."

The man looked at Lin Nan and said this.

"Directing? I haven't considered it, but since you mentioned it, I do need to think about it."

Lin Nan was sincere in this statement.

The meeting went smoothly. Lin Nan needed to quickly register a company or studio, as the investment agreement had to be signed under a company or studio name.

After returning, Lin Nan began the process of setting up a company.

He rented a place near the school, and the studio was established.

Regarding the registration, he hired an agent, naming it Lin Nan Film Studio.

The normal processing time can be expedited with money.

The legal representative of the studio was Lin Nan.

The signing went smoothly, and the funds were also transferred without issue. However, Shanghai Film sent someone to oversee the project, clearly not trusting a newcomer like Lin Nan, especially with millions at stake.

When Lin Nan brought the contract and proof of funds to the school, the teachers were shocked.

This freshman really secured the investment, totaling 4 million yuan.

The photography department teachers initially wanted to recommend a student named Ning, who had won an award at the College Student Film Festival, but the reply was that he was preparing to shoot a new film called "Incense."

Lin Nan knew who it was. Director Ning Hao, although he aimed to make a profound film, his success came from comedy and commercial films.

No matter, Lin Nan sought help from the directing department teachers to recommend some senior students to assist him.

The film's storyline was set, and finding some senior students to assist was to ensure everything went smoothly. The positions of assistant directors should attract senior students who hadn't graduated yet and were affordable.

He could also seek their guidance.

The directing department teachers were happy to help. Not every directing student could start as an assistant director for a film project.

Moreover, they would be doing real work as assistant directors.

The overall direction of the film was clear in Lin Nan's mind. He knew the results he wanted. The director's name could be listed among the assistant directors or under his name.

For cinematography, Lin Nan hesitated between finding a senior from the school or asking Shanghai Film to send someone.

When he mentioned this idea, the photography department teachers scolded him for looking down on their department.

Alright, so he ended up finding a few senior students from the photography department who had excellent grades.

Lighting, script supervisor, and other miscellaneous roles were eventually filled by students from the school.

Lin Nan sighed at how beneficial it was to have strong backing.

As for equipment, Lin Nan could only rent it. The choice was between China Film or Shanghai Film.

In the end, Li Yang suggested renting equipment from China Film, and Shanghai Film surprisingly didn't oppose it. Maybe it was because China Film was closer and cost-effective. That's the only reason Lin Nan could think of.

The film crew was roughly assembled, and the last thing was casting.

He thought this would be the easiest since he was in the acting department, and finding people should be simple.

But things didn't go as planned. The actress he wanted for the female lead wasn't available as she had other commitments.

"Lin Zi, I've been hanging around you for so long, and you have nothing to say to me?"
Zhu Ya Wen had indeed been lingering around Lin Nan since the morning.

"Alright, alright, I get it."

"So, is there a part for me?"
"Yes, there is. You'll play the assistant to the professor, helping him solve my confusion."

Lin Nan assigned the role of Stan from the original script to Zhu Ya Wen, now named Zhu Wen.

And Lin Nan would play the male lead, using his real name in the film.

Time was tight, so he asked Zhou Yang to play the female lead, which she accepted with a bit of pride. "You couldn't find your chosen actress, so you thought of me, huh."

"Just tell me if you're going to do it or not," Lin Nan couldn't stand her sarcastic attitude.

All because of Zhu Ya Wen's big mouth.

"Yes, I'll do it."

The role of Mary, the professor's other assistant in the original script, was given to Jiang Yi Yan, who wasn't as pretentious at that time.

For minor roles, Lin Nan hired extras. Many of these extras were familiar faces, even if he couldn't name them.

By mid-March, the crew was finally assembled, though somewhat haphazardly.

Three seniors from the directing department joined, assisting with the work.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was officially starting, and everyone cheered.

The entire crew was almost entirely made up of Film Academy people, creating a harmonious atmosphere.

Zhou Yang, undergoing an experiment by a mental health specialist, lost her memory, forgetting her long-time lover, Lin Nan...

In fact, both of them were tired of their relationship and marriage. They voluntarily underwent brain surgery to forget each other...

"Sister Zhou, stop laughing during the scene."

Zhou Yang was criticized by a senior from the directing department.

This wasn't the first time.

"Sorry, but when I see Lin Nan and think of him as my husband, I can't help but laugh. We usually bicker and joke around."

"Ma'am, every time you laugh, you're wasting everyone's time, which is money."

As a producer, Lin Nan understood this feeling. He had invested real money.

His words carried more weight. After that, there were no major issues.

Zhu Ya Wen performed very well, not embarrassing his best friend Lin Nan. He almost always passed scenes in one or two takes. Playing a fool was easy for him since he was one in real life, according to Lin Nan.

Jiang Yi Yan also worked hard. She was a freshman and not yet the pretentious Jiang Miss from later.

This film was neither great nor terrible. Its main appeal was its imaginative plot and setting. At this time, romantic films usually had a serious visual style.

Later, sweet romantic dramas and melodramatic plots hadn't appeared yet.

Its unique style was one of the film's selling points

Filming went smoothly. Lin Nan gradually lost his memory, recalling the happy times with his wife, regretting the surgery, but the memories continued to fade. He tried everything to keep his remaining memories.

The plot unfolded.

The surgery wasn't entirely successful, with snippets of past life flashing in his mind.

They constantly wandered between reality and memory, gradually realizing the good memories were also significant.

Lin Nan kept the open-ended conclusion of the original, with no reunion or separation. In the end, Lin Nan and Zhou Yang walked on a lawn...

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind wrapped successfully!"
"Finally, it's over."

Everyone was excited. The past twenty days were fulfilling.

"Lin Zi, don't get too into character. Your sister doesn't like your low emotional intelligence." Zhou Yang started her antics again.

Lin Nan retorted, "Thanks, I prefer ladies."

"Haha, didn't I warn you, but you didn't listen." Zhu Ya Wen laughed from the side.

"Shut up."

Zhou Yang roared back.

**Please support!**

If you have time, please post in the readers' circle and share some pictures.

I will fix any typos. Please inform me if you find any. Thank you.

**(End of Chapter)**

Chapter 10: Release
### Chapter 10: Release

The budget of four million was pretty accurate.

After shooting, Lin Nan brought the film back to school for editing and post-production. Not taking advantage of this would be foolish.

The school was very supportive, as 80% of the cast and crew were students. If they didn't support it, who would?

This film's strengths lay in its concept and plot, making it cost-effective and simpler in post-production. Unlike big-budget commercial films or those with special effects, which can take years in post-production, this film was straightforward.

A group of seniors enthusiastically guaranteed they would finish in half a month. Seeing their motivated demeanor, Lin Nan knew they would stay up late and work overtime. After all, a film is like their baby, and everyone was still full of passion at this stage.

Shanghai Film Group handled the review and release permits, which seemed straightforward. The sample and final cut were exactly as planned, with only content review required.

Next, they needed to consider the release date.

Last month, while Lin Nan and his team were filming, the domestic film industry had a major event: "Hero" was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars.

The whole country was buzzing, and the man behind Director Zhang boldly declared that if "Hero" didn't win, who would? Ultimately, it lost to the German film "Nowhere in Africa," causing a media frenzy. But a few days later, it won the Golden Bauhinia Award.

Reportedly, "Hero" was also up for several awards at the Hong Kong Film Awards, with "Infernal Affairs" expected to sweep the major awards.

Unlike the Oscars, which have a Best Foreign Language Film category for international films, the Hong Kong Film Awards are highly exclusive and increasingly biased.

Lin Nan checked his account, and the four million budget was well spent. Payments for the schoolmates' and other departments' seniors' fees were settled. Including equipment rental costs and shooting expenses, Lin Nan couldn't afford film stock, so he rented digital cameras.

After tallying everything, there were just over eighty thousand yuan left. Lin Nan planned to give bonuses after post-production, and if anything was left, they could celebrate with a meal.

Shanghai Film and Lin Nan finalized the post-production timeline, confidently guaranteeing completion by mid-month. The permits and review were resolved perfectly, as post-production was merely minor touch-ups.

For the release date, Shanghai Film suggested the latter half of the year, but Lin Nan refused. Competing with "Cell Phone" and "Infernal Affairs" later in the year would be suicide.

Lin Nan aimed for the first half of the year, with the latest acceptable date being early August since "Infernal Affairs" was set for release in early September and "Cell Phone" in December.

After some back and forth, they settled on May 1st, coinciding with the Labor Day holiday.

Lin Nan promptly accepted. In 2003, the Labor Day holiday lasted seven days.

With the date set, Lin Nan needed to check on the seniors handling post-production to see if setting a release date so soon was too reckless. If something went wrong, would they have to screen the rough cut?

When Lin Nan arrived, they had good news: it was already done.

Relieved, Lin Nan contacted Shanghai Film to review the final cut.

"The plot is completely consistent, colors and sound are perfect, and any continuity errors have been fixed nicely…"

Shanghai Film took the final cut.

"Guys, our film releases on May 1st. It took just about a month to complete. It's time to see our results. Remember to bring people to the cinema."

Lin Nan encouraged everyone to mobilize their circles, and they eagerly agreed.

Many classmates were supportive, but a large portion were skeptical.

"A bunch of kids who haven't even graduated, what kind of film can they make? It'll bomb at the box office."

Most people were just there to watch the spectacle, while only a few participated in the crew.

Faced with the angry Zhu Ya Wen and others, Lin Nan could only advise them to stay calm, "I invested 1.8 million yuan, and I'm not even angry."

On the 24th, Liu Yi Fei returned to school, "I signed up for a new movie. It's based on a game, starting at the end of the year."

Lin Nan knew it was "Chinese Paladin."

"Why didn't you tell me you were making a film?" Liu Yi Fei asked angrily, glaring at Lin Nan.

She looked very pretty with her big eyes when angry.

"Your mom said you were already busy." Lin Nan didn't lie.

When he contacted her, her mother answered and conveyed this exact message, also wishing Lin Nan success, very politely.

"Ah, my mom didn't tell me that." Liu Yi Fei looked instantly frustrated.

Lin Nan said nothing, just watched her, feeling at ease.

Perhaps in her mother's eyes, most of her daughter's classmates weren't expected to be very successful, including Lin Nan, the poor boy from the Northwest.

As April drew to a close, some newspapers and media began reporting on this student film crew from the Film Academy. This was arranged by Shanghai Film.

For the first time, Lin Nan and others were interviewed, and his involvement in Li Yang's "Blind Shaft" became part of the promotional material.

He was credited as the director, screenwriter, and producer, which drew a lot of mockery.

"The world is in decline…"

"Everyone thinks they can be a director."

"Lin Zi, don't mind those comments," Zhu Ya Wen comforted Lin Nan, who didn't take it to heart.

Afterward, Lin Nan sought out his class teacher.

"You want to change majors?"

Teacher Zhou looked at his student like he had seen a ghost, confirming once more.

"Yes, teacher," Lin Nan affirmed.

The school had a policy for this, provided Lin Nan met the requirements and applied.

Academic performance, evaluations from the new department, and proof he was better suited for the new major.

It was no surprise he wasn't approved; Lin Nan left, planning to revisit the issue after the film's release.

Zhu Ya Wen somehow got an MP3 player and was wearing headphones.

Lin Nan took one earphone and heard Jay Chou's "Milan's Little Blacksmith."

"Did you buy this?"

"Yeah, you gave us payment, so I bought this and a new phone."

A flawless answer.

In the screening room, "Farewell My Concubine" was playing. Sadly, Leslie Cheung had passed away earlier that month.

No doubt, this film was excellent, though Director Chen's career had started to decline since.

Previously, students were asked to study the actors' performances and put themselves in their shoes.

Lin Nan began trying to watch films from a director's perspective. Although his teacher didn't agree with his major change, it didn't stop Lin Nan from self-studying.

The next day, Lin Nan attended a directing class.

Though his presence was noticeable, no one paid much attention.

On the eve of May 1st, Li Yang called Lin Nan, asking if he was nervous. "Blind Shaft" was indefinitely shelved.

On May 1st, Lin Nan and some classmates went to the cinema. Shanghai Film's promotion was thorough, with plenty of posters and a lot of buzz.

In the early 2000s, film promotion was not yet dominated by the internet but relied heavily on physical marketing.

Yu, a veteran from Beijing Film Studio, established the first private distribution company.

But Shanghai Film handled all the distribution and promotion, without involving any other department or company.

Sitting in the cinema, everyone was anxious.

"This is my first time acting in a movie, and as the lead too," Zhou Yang said, taking a big gulp of cola and burping.

"Same here," Zhu Ya Wen chimed in.

"Not me," Lin Nan quietly said.

The theater was about two-thirds full.

Thanks to the limited number of films back then, unlike the later explosion of releases, Lin Nan thought they could make a profit. How much profit depended on fate.

The film's 4 million yuan budget was like a basic renovation. In the future, it might only last a week in theaters, struggling in a cold market.

At 2 a.m. on the 2nd, the classic Nokia ringtone woke Lin Nan.

"Hello, you said… how much?"

Lin Nan replied weakly, dismissively ending the call as he was too tired.

Early in the morning, the dormitory door was pounded loudly, "Lin Zi, open up."

Rubbing his eyes and yawning, Lin Nan began getting dressed, "Can't even rest on a holiday. What is it?"

"Box office, box office," Zhu Ya Wen shouted outside. Fortunately, it was a holiday, and everyone had left. Lin Nan was alone in the dorm.

"Box office? Oh, my phone!"

Opening the door, Zhu Ya Wen rushed in impatiently.

Lin Nan was turning on his phone, trying to remember the number from the late-night call.

"First day, 1.85 million," Zhu Ya Wen jumped around, more excited than Lin Nan.

Sure enough, there were a bunch of missed calls.

In no time, another call came in, "Hello, who is this?"

"Director Ren? From Shanghai Film? Oh, yes, hello, this is Lin Nan…"

After the call, Lin Nan sat down. Having such a big shot call him felt unreal.

"Lin Zi, did you hear me? I'm calling you," Zhu Ya Wen nudged Lin Nan.

"I'm not crazy or dumb, it's just 1.85 million," Lin Nan said calmly.

"You're amazing, already acting cool," Zhu Ya Wen said, sitting across from Lin Nan, crossing

his legs, occasionally giving a thumbs up, "So calm."

"Let's go out for a meal, my treat. Let's see who else is still at school and invite them all," Lin Nan decided, slapping his thigh. It was time to celebrate. After giving bonuses to the post-production seniors, he had two thousand yuan left, which was his bonus.

Even though it was the May Day holiday, most of the crew stayed, eagerly watching the results. Previously, they assisted and supported the production; now it was their own hands-on work.

The May Day holiday was incredibly exciting. Lin Nan received daily calls from Shanghai Film with updated data.

Seniors and classmates on campus also followed the box office, some even asking Lin Nan directly.

His phone received more calls on May 1st and 2nd than it had before the holiday.

Calls from his class teacher, other teachers, the college leadership, the directing and photography department teachers—each had students involved in the film.

For teachers and leaders, this was a teaching achievement that could be included in reports.

For students, it was a prestigious addition to their resumes. Anyone with common sense could see the film's box office would definitely increase.

During the seven-day holiday, the box office reached just over 15 million yuan, with expectations of a sharp decline starting on the 8th.

Please give some recommendation votes, favorites, and investments, much appreciated.

If there are any typos, please let me know, thank you very much.

**(End of Chapter)**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back