• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Indenting paragraphs?

rkyeun

Cabbitus Maximus
Original Post
So maybe I'm an idiot and there's a tag I'm missing. In XF1, I could throw a few em spaces on the front of my paragraphs to indent them. The result would look something like:
_____Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
_____Curabitur pretium tincidunt lacus. Nulla gravida orci a odio, et feugiat tellus tincidunt id. Morbi lectus risus, iaculis vel, suscipit quis, luctus non, massa. Fusce ac turpis quis ligula lacinia aliquet. Mauris ipsum. Nulla metus metus, ullamcorper vel, tincidunt sed, euismod in, nibh. Quisque volutpat condimentum velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.
_____Nam nec ante. Sed lacinia, urna non tincidunt mattis, tortor neque adipiscing diam, a cursus ipsum ante quis turpis. Nulla facilisi. Ut fringilla. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc feugiat mi a tellus consequat imperdiet. Luctus accumsan tortor posuere ac ut consequat semper viverra. Mauris magna. Vestibulum eu odio.
And I would be writing nice proper paragraphs. But XF2 eats all whitespaces. And I don't wanna use invisible underscores so that anyone copy and pasting it ends up with visible underscores. And I don't wanna indent the entire paragraph, I just wanna indent the first line, like a paragraph should do. Am I missing something? Is there a [tab] tag?​

This problem has now been solved to my satisfaction.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You're looking for U+2800 which is Braille Pattern Blank
I've placed it in the above to show it off.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And below, so you can highlight and copy paste as needed
Glory to Humankind. Praise the Emperor.

Last edited:
I do not have the answer to your question. However, I will note something: To the best of my knowledge it is generally considered redundant to have double spaces between paragraphs and an indented first line; they fundamentally fulfill the same purpose of making clear when a new one starts. And when it isn't going to be physically created double spaces are generally preferred as they're clearer and the cost of extra space used very rarely matters due to scrolling being easy.

So maybe I'm an idiot and there's a tag I'm missing. In XF1, I could throw a few em spaces on the front of my paragraphs to indent them. The result would look something like:

_____Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

_____Curabitur pretium tincidunt lacus. Nulla gravida orci a odio, et feugiat tellus tincidunt id. Morbi lectus risus, iaculis vel, suscipit quis, luctus non, massa. Fusce ac turpis quis ligula lacinia aliquet. Mauris ipsum. Nulla metus metus, ullamcorper vel, tincidunt sed, euismod in, nibh. Quisque volutpat condimentum velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.

_____Nam nec ante. Sed lacinia, urna non tincidunt mattis, tortor neque adipiscing diam, a cursus ipsum ante quis turpis. Nulla facilisi. Ut fringilla. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc feugiat mi a tellus consequat imperdiet. Luctus accumsan tortor posuere ac ut consequat semper viverra. Mauris magna. Vestibulum eu odio.

And I would be writing nice proper paragraphs. But XF2 eats all whitespaces. And I don't wanna use invisible underscores so that anyone copy and pasting it ends up with visible underscores. And I don't wanna indent the entire paragraph, I just wanna indent the first line, like a paragraph should do. Am I missing something? Is there a [tab] tag?​
The "Tab" key on your keyboard? That's literally what it's for after all.

The "Tab" key on your keyboard? That's literally what it's for after all.
Except that it appears, at least in Firefox, that pressing the 'Tab' key moves the focus from the text entry block to the 'Post Reply' button, and cycles through other buttons or links visible on the page.

Indent technique and code found for BBcode

At the start of a new paragraph, in square brackets [] place the word indent. After the first word of the paragraph, disable the indentation code with square brackets containing /indent . If the indentation code is not canceled, every line of the paragraph may be indented.

A simple search for "BBCode indent" showed that coding.

ALSO, in the dropdown portion the text controls at the top of the text editor box, the LIST menu has portions for Indent and Outdent. Whether or not they're just for list formatting, I don't know, and haven't experimented to refine what I've already found out.

Last edited:
At the start of a new paragraph, in square brackets [] place the word indent. After the first word of the paragraph, disable the indentation code with square brackets containing /indent . If the indentation code is not canceled, every line of the paragraph may be indented.
Lorem​
ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Nope. Closing the indent breaks the paragraph onto a new line.

That will work, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back