• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

[IRC] Space Fantasy Warlords

Nolrai2

Can't count
So the play by post game with this premise may or may not be happening,
and I find my self wanting to run a few more IRC games.

The system is still a bit in flux, though I think I am using the Cortex+ basic mechanics.

Stealing the GM of the play by post's description
My edits are in []:

Originally Posted by Sabermane said:
ANCIENT HISTORY: Mankind got taken over by an AI hivemind and went all Borg through the galaxy for a long time. Then we broke out, then got conquered by some giant spiders, then fought them off, and for the last thousand years have been expanding and slowly unifying. the Concordant, [a lose federation of Noble Houses and Client States, with unclear borders, lots of infighting, but strong bonds of commerce and ritual.]

The center of the Concordant is the Golden Sphere, currently 400 stars that are in a near-perfect Culture level of tech--stars are connected via jumpgates, tech is constant and all-powerful (but no AI's--not doing that again), [The Imperial Families rule here, distant and inscrutable even by the standards of the Elite, though usually inward focused, they act on the wider universe through the Noble Houses' struggles for Recognition and Expeditions.]

The Frontier Worlds. These are worlds that are conquered or being conquered by the Expeditions, massive war/economic fleets that will show up at a star, plant flags, and size up material value. [Here the Noble houses rule near absolutely, direct interference from the Golden Sphere almost un-heard of and loyalty to the Concordant as a whole usually only weakly enforced by way of ritual, reputation, and occasional gifts.]

Players (and most important NPC's) will be Elites, humans that are genetically, memetically, psychically and physically perfected. They are super-human in every sense of the word. Immortal, beautiful, and deadly, you have been raised since literal inception to be the best you can be for your House, noble clans of people/ideology/memes/hobbies.

Most Elites have Seraphs, a 40-foot tall Mecha that can be humanoid or fighter or whatever else it needs to be. Most are vaguely angelic (ie, humanoids with wings), but design is limitless--if you want a bunch of rings or a giant snake-thing, it doesn't matter. These were build due to the above-mentioned Spider monsters that were giant and claimed humanity for way too long.

A system under the control of an Elite is under the whims of said Elites. Some are monsters, some are saints.

The Concordant believes in competition and challenges to sharpen humanity as a species. That's why things are so medieval--it's expected that out in the Frontier, you're going to run into problems and you should fix it. Bringing the Golden Sphere into an issue is possible, but you will loose status for doing so.

THEMES AND CONCEPTS
This is space opera. Think big. You will need to have an idea of your House's history and overall stereotype. You will have a fleet of ships at your beck and call, and your own personal Veritech to go out and kick ass if you get bored commanding capital ships.

This is science fantasy. If you want to be a sorcerer or an elementalist or summon monsters from hyperspace, awesome. You are super-space-knights fighting off evil space-knights, alien hordes, and evil cultists. Expect weird.

Things in the universe: alien threats, giant hyper-gates, people with noble titles, fleets of starships, amazing battles, giant aliens, evil AI, weird religions, mecha, superhumans, laser-swords, huge armies, clever xanatos tactics, ancient relics of long-dead cultures, guitar riffs
Things not in the universe: realistic FTL, time travel, alternate realities of you with goatees, realistic damage, teleporters.
I'm also going to steal the kick off:
Originally Posted by Sabermane said:
The Dumas* Sector of space is on the edge of the known galaxy. It was given to the Jire House, [a powerful Noble House, with Imperial ambitions], to colonize. The Jire's are known, as a whole, for being ruthless backstabbing manipulators who have a lot of enemies but enough clout and money to back it up. However, due to a political squabble on the other side of the galaxy, the Jire's had to call in some debts, which included the mark of trade for this sector. Your houses (either major or minor) pooled their resources and bought the claim.

However...the frigate you sent to announce to the foothold world of Porthos* came back on fire and with a dead crew. The citizens of Porthos had declared eternal loyalty to the Jire clan, and will brook no substitute. Your spies have found that the Lord of the Colonization Effort, Pollux Jire (known for being hot-headed and a very good Seraph pilot) did not return home like he should have. Not surprising, considering the slight his family gave and the loss of status he would take. It is uncertain exactly what is waiting for you on the other side of the jump, which is why you have called your forces together to create a grand armada.

Porthos is a foothold--the first clean jump into the sector in general--you could go around, but it could cost years**.

*Technically this is some alien gobbledygook that boils down to "a work of art that would be roughly akin to Duma's work. Historically, Sectors are given artist names and then systems given names of characters from their work, but if you want "Planet Bob", cool.

**remember, you are technically immortal, but it would be expensive to try to find a new route and cost you time and money.

So please--feel free to expand on your characters, their worlds, their likes. Be opulent. Have a deck of art on your flagship. Have an army of space marines in ornate armor because what else were you going to do with that gambling winnings?
So I have large blocks of time available on the weekends, and the evenings PDT.

Anyone Interested?

Can't resist the fangs, so sure. Which channel?

i would be interested in joining.

I'm thinking my character has decided that instead of breeding horses like a regular aristocratic ass, he chose a more useful hobby. Specifically decanting and breeding his own personal guard. Some might consider this cruel, immoral or perhaps "Bat-shit insane" but he genuinely cares for them. They're incredibly loyal, boast incredible grace, and are strikingly beautiful. He denies all allegations that he merely wanted to create his own race of elves.

Last edited:
Potentially interested. Are we each taking control of an entire fleet? How much are PCs suspected to be interacting with each other and how?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back