• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Dad and Best Friend (OG Eva + Rebuilds + Time/Multiverse Travel + OCs)

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Summary: Years before the beginning of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shinji Ikari was sent away to live with a teacher until the time came when his father would call him to his side. Before that, however, he would meet a boy about his age who seemed familiar, yet with a few sharp differences. This boy would introduce himself with the words:

"I am Ken Illustrious Ikari. I'm your son from the future. Well, more accurately, it is another universe, but that isn't very easy. I'm here to be your best friend."

And thus, Humanity's destiny goes off the rails…

Oh, right, a certain infamous British tabletop game makes an appearance (Leagues of Votann rock!), but it's not the only influence...

Pairing List: Alternate!Shinji/Alternate!Kaworu, Original Male Character (Ken)/Original Male Character (Raphael), Tsubame Suzuhara/Original Male Character (Mikael), and Shinji Ikari/Mari Illustrious Makanami, Misato Katsuragi/Kaji Ryoji, and Ritsuko Akagi/Maya Ibuki.

Also, Gendo Ikari/Yui Ikari, mostly for backstory reasons.
Last edited:
Prologue New

Repentant_Dragos

Experienced.
Prologue

Disclaimer: No, I do not own Neon Genesis Evangelion, and this fanfic is made merely for entertainment; mine and others.

It was a small, nameless town, with what little pulse there was centered around a convenience store where a handful of children whiled away the time until they could grow up and go to the city of Tokyo-2, a town hall in which a few old men and women talked about a past long gone, and a school of empty smiles and promises sincerely made and just as sincerely broken.

There was a house with a well-fenced yard, small enough to be kept secure yet large enough to signal that someone paid for its upkeep; for the retired music professor who lived in it could not afford to maintain it on its own.

But he didn't have to, because this old and broken man had been paid to raise a boy, to keep him safe, fed, and educated… And nothing more than that.

The boy was not supposed to grow up with any binding attachments to the place of his banishment or find any source of affection that would distract him from his future as a tool of mankind's salvation (or in reality, its damnation if one was privy to certain secret information). Access to such things was not outright forbidden; it was more efficient to discourage than ban, but it was decided that one Shinji Ikari must be raised in a town where dreams die, tears fall in silence, but had enough flickers of light and warmth that the child would not think of an early end to his life.

At ten years of age - Four more until he would be called to serve the others' schemes - Shinji had learned to be quiet except to make routine conversation or talk about his test scores at school. Music lessons were the only time he and his teacher had something resembling a bond, but those took up only a few hours of each day.

It was a quiet life, and the boy grew up as he was supposed to.

Then came a person who did not care about that at all.

------

Another boy walked into town, wearing the scowl not of one who scorned the degradation and emotional starvation of its people, but of one who sensed injustice and even at his age, thought he had the right and power to punch it out of whoever was committing it.

He wore clothes of clean nylon, cotton, and denim, too rich to dismiss him as just another lost runaway, one of the flotsam and jetsam of war and environmental catastrophe that still roamed the countryside and the slums of the cities. His skin was paler than the inhabitants, and his blue eyes and emerging Eurasian features marked him as of mixed blood, albeit one whose Japanese half ran strong.

Dragging a wheeled suitcase behind him, this boy, also ten years of age in growth, walked into the convenience store and from his wallet, pulled out a golden card, only for the shopkeeper to shake his head and gesture to the register, which did not have a card reader.

With an exaggerated sigh, the boy pulled out a few banknotes of yen that despite looking very aged, were marked as issued in 2009 and on later examination, were indeed indistinguishable from money printed in that year.

Then, after buying some matcha mochi that matched the shade of his glossy nylon coat, the young man asked, "There is a retired professor living in this town who lives with a boy who looks like me except for the eyes. Can you give me directions to his house?"

The grey-haired man raised an eyebrow, then spoke, "I didn't know Mr. Nomura had been asked to take in another boy…"

He was met with a wide and cheerful smile, and eyes that marked the child as someone who knew, followed by the casual words, "Well, he doesn't know yet, either, but yes, he will be having a guest around his ward's age - A last-minute request, if you must know."

A flicker of suspicion, followed by a twist of doubt, flashed through the aging shopkeeper's eyes and face before he frowned and said as he ducked his hand under the desk, "That man was faithful to his wife while she lived; his son wouldn't have a brother..."

The door to the store opened, and an older man in his late 30s, whose smooth looks and athletic build made him look good even in a business suit, went inside with a sour expression as he greeted the shopkeeper with words wrapped in acid.

"Mr. Kannabe, I should have known you were one of their watchers."

The surprise arrival of this second visitor allowed the boy, the ten-year-old whose existence was ringing alarm bells in Mr. Kannabe's head, to pull out a keychain that hung around his neck, a keychain that unnaturally grew to the size of a toy spear - Except that the tip was genuinely sharp and glowed with a power that should not be openly shown off for a few years more.

An AT-Field, the light of the soul.

"Ken," the older version of Shinji said, "If you're serious about this, mind-wipe him with your Miniature Spear. I'll go have a chat with this world's version of Mr. Nomura before my parallel self gets back from school."

The boy - Ken - nodded, and the miniature spear glowed brighter, with no onlooker taking notice as Mr. Kannabe slumped onto the desk, trapped in unnatural sleep…

------

Shinji Ikari, at ten, was quiet, lonely, and alone, but not entirely devoid of social skills; he knew how to act normal. Though scarred, traumatized, and abandoned, he was not completely spineless despite his emotional growth being stunted. And above all, he had internalized the adults' warnings around him that strangers were suspicious.

Even when the stranger was a kid like him, obviously rich, who had walked up to him and blocked his way, asking, "Are you Shinji Ikari? If so, I am Ken Illustrious -"

Shinji was not blind and saw that the other boy looked just like him, only with blue eyes and paler skin, and asked, "I don't have a brother, right?"

Ken's reaction was to say, "Eww, no! That's the second time someone brought up the idea!"

The other boy then pulled out a suspicious-looking keychain that hung around a string on his neck and made it grow into a spear fused with a frame (?) that made it look like something from Kamen Rider but edgier. After that, he resumed his introduction, saying:

"Now let me finish; I am Ken Illustrious Ikari - Your son from the future. Well, more accurately, it is another universe, but that's complicated - I'm here to be your best friend."

A stereotypical version of Shinji Ikari would have run off screaming. This Shinji merely gasped, but despite being an unarmed ten-year-old faced with an armed ten-year-old who was trying to upend the world he knew, the gasp was from disbelief.

"You're lying," he pointed and accused after a moment's pause. "Time travel isn't real…"

Ken staggered back, eyes wide with shock before they twisted in rage as he said, "It's Multiverse Travel, and it very well is!"

"Is not; please leave me alone…"

"Is too! And why, so you can be friendless again?!"

Shinji finally screamed, not out of fear or annoyance, but because that riled him up.

"STOP LYING TO ME!" he shouted, but no one around him seemed to hear.

"I'm not!" Ken appealed, "Why won't you believe me?!"

"Because… Because..." Shinji could not find words to explain, even as he realized that the both of them were exhausted in the waning sunset.

Warily, he asked Ken, "So, umm, where are you staying?"

Ken rubbed the back of his head with his free hand and replied, "Eheheheheh… Dad - Parallel You! - Is talking to your music teacher about that; I was serious about wanting to be your best friend."

Shinji's eyes flickered with hope, then he turned away from Ken's face, then turned back to it, "You're still saying that? Fine, let's go to Mr. Nomura; he'll probably think you're crazy…"

He tried to stamp down any optimism as he started to guide his wannabe best friend to the house that was not quite a home but seemed more hopeful than it was just a few minutes ago.

------

Grownup Parallel Shinji was impressive. Able to surpass Mr. Nomura in playing the cello, in a style identical to Shinji's own but richer, more refined, and more confident in general, the older version of himself from a parallel universe was also a good cook and was savvy in the use of gadgets that even he, a ten-year-old born one year after Second Impact, knew did not exist yet.

Ken was using some sort of 'Multiversal Internet' to play a game called 'Shonen Impact' on his handheld smartphone, which he was now sharing with him and even offering free lessons on how to use/play while Grown-up Parallel Shinji (GPS?) and Mr. Nomura were engaged in negotiations.

"So, umm… Ken…" Shinji decided to ask the other boy about what the latter had said, "Why? You could have plenty of friends; why talk to me? Also… How did you come here anyway?"

He then turned away, expecting Ken to not answer his questions or say some other lie.

Ken pulled out the keychain and said, "How? I used this - It's a miniature Spear of Gaius. As for why? Well, Dad always told me how he was friendless at my age and he told me that other worlds existed and then I put two and two together and thought: Hey, there must be many many Shinji Ikaris who don't have friends. So I begged Dad over and over to let me come."

Shinji couldn't believe it, and said as much, "He listens to you?"

Ken nodded and said, "Duh! He's you, after all. Or you're going to be like him one day - It's complicated. Besides, Grandfather was the way he was because he was lonely and didn't know how not to be. Or so Father said."

Shinji's response was to frown at the mention of his father (Ken's Grandfather, aka Gendo Ikari), saying, "I wish he didn't send me away… So he does hate me."

Ken replied nonchalantly, "Grandfather's just an idiot who doesn't know he can love different people in different ways. I learned from his actions and - It's too harsh to call what he did a failure; other people do it too."

A few seconds passed before Shinji changed the subject with, "So… How does this being best friends across dimensions work?"

The response was quick, "I portal in for a few hours every afternoon; Dad does not want me in danger any more than necessary. But both of us will visit you until I'm old enough to go off alone, though!"

Shinji mumbled, "That'd be nice..."

In the meantime, Grown-up Parallel Shinji and Mr. Nomura had just finished talking, with the former handing the latter a suitcase full of gold bars, talking about how two versions of the same banknotes must not be found at the same time and that there was a non-zero chance of that happening.

Mr. Nomura then turned to Shinji and asked, "Older Ikari and his son will be visiting us every afternoon from now on - And on spring, summer, and winter break, even the mornings; we'll talk about sleepovers later."

He then glanced down at Shinji and Ken and said, "However, you two should know that there are very dangerous people watching this town and they will hurt you if they find out about you. I am supposed to follow their orders, but Older Ikari here has persuaded me to side with him and his friends."

With a sigh, the teacher said to Shinji, "I'm sorry for how I've treated you for the past six or seven years; after seeing that there are people who care about you enough to put themselves in danger - Not just future you or your future son, but others too - I have to tell you; I was wrong. I wish I could say that I was merely too depressed to see it, or I was blinded by my obligations to Gendo and SEELE… But those aren't excuses. I knew you were suffering and I refused to see it."

Shinji blurted out, "That's all right," before turning to Ken and saying, "So, umm, you'll be going soon?"

Ken nodded, before adding, "But not without a last gift - Not the smartphone, though!"

And from his luggage bag, he pulled out several books and boxes marked: Warhammer 40k, 10th Edition, Codex: Leagues of Votann, and Codex: Sisters of Battle.

Also several boxes of finely-painted plastic miniatures…

End of Prologue

The first reply did not express 'disappointment' at the existence of MxM pairings in this fanfic; that's a good sign.

Edit: Thanks, Blood!
I might be a little disappointed in Ken's pairing tbh, but I am more interested in how 40k lore will effect Shinji. Also still trying to look for Votann lore.

So, IN THE NAME OF EMPEROR, good luck.

I might be a little disappointed in Ken's pairing tbh, but I am more interested in how 40k lore will effect Shinji. Also still trying to look for Votann lore.

So, IN THE NAME OF EMPEROR, good luck.

Who did you want paired with Ken?

And to be honest, for the Leagues of Votann and their lore + how they are played (I cannot afford the actual miniatures), I use Lexicanum and yes, the dreaded 1d6chan Wiki, which has a lot of exaggerations, memes, and 'humor' but is still readable.

Chapter One: Life is Worth Living New
Chapter One: Life Is Worth Living

Disclaimer: I do not own Evangelion or the Intellectual Property rights to Games Workshop's works. Nor do I own Code Geass or other IRL franchises mentioned in this fanfic.

Shinji was surprised that Ken and Grownup Parallel Shinji kept their promise to return tomorrow. However, opening a portal into the living room just as he came home from school added to the shock. But it didn't matter; after years of being alone, he had a friend, and said friend did not lie about 'seeing him later'.

And now, that friend was also teaching him the lore and setting of That British Game and how to play the pretty plastic 'miniatures' that came with it.

"So… Can I ask you something?" he had to ask Ken one week into their friendship.

He then followed up with a longer question than he had ever asked in his life, "Let me get this straight; the Leagues of Votann used to be the Squats, which in turn were written out of the setting for more than a decade in your world because they were not grimdark enough, then they got brought back because fans liked them… Why didn't they just make the Squats grimdark from the start?"

The other boy answered, "They were dumb adults who did not know bringing back the Squats would give them money. That said, considering that those fans who wanted the Squats back also began complaining that the Leagues are resistant to Chaos… Let's just say that dumb adults are everywhere."

Shinji mused as he finished eating the rice bowl and sushi Mr. Nomura had brought, then asked, "...So, you know what will happen to me? Seeing as you're from the future?"

Ken nodded and said as he ate his last bit of fish, "I promised to tell you the truth, didn't I? Of course, I know!"

The other boy's smile turned impish as he said, "But just because I promised not to lie doesn't mean I can't keep a few surprises!"

He then paused, then decided to share something, "The one who would be my Mom is dead in your universe, but she's okay in mine - She invented the Miniature Spears plus the Portal Machine so I and Dad can come to visit."

Shinji, after a pause, took the reins of the conversation afterward, "What is your Mom like? She seems like a great person…"

Ken winced and snickered, "Heh heh heh… Well, she has her problems too…"

The other boy then pursed his lips into an exaggerated sour expression and paused, a sign he was embarrassed to talk about it.

"Oh," was Shinji's response, before he thought of changing the subject, "So… Is my future really bad, Ken? Does Father - Your Grandfather - want to throw me away once I stop being useful?"

Ken stuck to his promise of honesty and said, "Yes and yes - Grandfather, as I said, is an idiot obsessed with bringing back Grandmother even though Grandmother wanted to fuse herself with the secret weapon we should not talk loudly about even here."

Shinji frowned and said, "...Maybe Mom is the one who hates me."

The sound of soft, but audible footsteps signaled that Grownup Parallel Shinji had returned from talking with Mr. Nomura, and had heard that last sentence.

"Actually…" were his next words, "Mom does not hate any of us. After multiple repeats of the timeline, she decided to choose me, aka you, and even Dad after I decided to grow a spine and take responsibility for my actions."

He then said, "You're going to meet her again in four years, by the way, but do not make it too obvious that you know that's going to happen. But this subject is a bit too sad, so let's talk about That British Game... Ken has shown you the wonders of the Leagues of Votann, right?"

Shinji grinned, which was normally Ken's trademark, "Yeah, he did. I'm gonna play Primaris Marines against him in an hour - Do you… have tips?"

Grownup Parallel Shinji mused, "Well, I'm not as interested in the actual rules and tactics as Ken, but he favors making his armies shooty and tanky but also slow as sludge. Pick Primaris White Scars or if you want something fancy, Blood Ravens -"

Ken interrupted, "You mean Blood Angels?"

His father retorted, "Do you want a curb stomp, and not one in your favor, Ken? No, Blood Ravens; with lots and lots of Librarians."

Shinji raised his hand and said, "I'll pick Blood Angels, then. With a Death Company Dreadnought, if that's all right?"

Ken groaned at that.

Soon enough, Shinji's army, with a Primaris Librarian Mephistion providing a psychically-capable HQ Unit, was rolling over Ken's Greater Thurian League army, which nevertheless got a large number of shots out and took an absurd amount of damage to grind to oblivion. Strangely enough, Ken exaggerating how torn up he was and even playing at sulking in a corner brought a smile to the boy's face, especially as his friend made it clear he wasn't really hurt by losing, just clowning around.

After Ken's sulking was over, Grownup Shinji - Other Shinji - then pulled out a thin miniature laptop called a 'netbook' and said to both Mr. Nomura and Shinji, "Now, some homework - But not the boring kind! I'm going to teach you how to use this, plus the charger, so you guys can watch some good downloaded Anime from our world. You see that if we're going to make this work, my younger self, from another world, needs to know how smart protagonists work."

He opened the netbook, booted it up, and began clicking a few icons using a touchscreen and buttons, and the screen began playing a show called Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Once the first episode had finished, Other Shinji would then say:

"Ignore all questions you have about the setting of the Anime, Mr. Nomura; it's meant to be ridiculous."

The retired music teacher nodded; after all, few things were as ridiculous as his decision to change sides and betray Gendo Ikari after the latter had hired him to raise his son in an environment of emotional starvation.

"Also, once you guys have had enough time to absorb the first episode's scenes, I and Ken need to go back home to sleep - But every visit, we will be watching one, maybe two, episodes of this every day. We'll also be reading more grounded stuff like The Foundation Trilogy; I'd suggest Dune but that isn't for ten-year-olds. There's also this manga from yet another world called Fullmetal Alchemist which makes political stuff fun and has conspiracies getting their asses kicked; you see how important that is, right?"

Mr. Nomura nodded and said, "I have unread copies of The Art of War and The Prince in my study if you're committed to training Shinji and Ken for this. And while fairy tales are not usually sources for how to plan, the ones that involve outwitting someone more powerful than you might be useful. And if Dune is 'too mature', why don't we try Sherlock Holmes; that also has versions for children, right?"

Other Shinji smiled at that - He had gotten the music teacher and caretaker on board with his project to strengthen his parallel counterpart while furthering his own son's education about what exactly someone both heroic and cunning was capable of and how they did it.

------

Two weeks after they met, and after the first season of Code Geass had been watched, Ken was ready to go out into town again; it was morning this time and it was a Sunday.

Note that Mr. Nomura and Other Shinji were acting as chaperones and Ken had his Miniature Spear of Gaius in keychain form ready to pull out should the memory alterations applied to various residents (especially the SEELE and NERV agents) suddenly fade to nothing.

"You know…" Other Shinji mused, "In my universe, this town was much the same in most timelines, but in the final one, the convenience store also sold a wider variety of iced drinks, including those matcha lattes with a spray of white chocolate."

Mr. Nomura replied, "That reminds me; what is the difference between universes and timelines again?"

Surprisingly, it was Younger Shinji who answered, "Oh - A timeline is like a tape getting a rewind but the cassette player is the same, a universe is like a new cassette player and a new tape…"

Ken nodded at that, confirming Younger Shinji's words even as he checked to see if anyone needed to get their memories altered.

"So…" Mr. Nomura said before asking another question, "That Miniature Spear… Is that the source of Ken's powers, or is he…?"

He let that implication hang in the air for fear of being impolite.

Ken shrugged, "I'm not an Angel; the Miniature Spear is theoretically mass-producable."

The boy then looked around and mused, "I visited the future version of this town, in my universe; it began booming again after several years thanks to Mr. Tokita - He's the head of Japan Heavy Chemical Industries - Building a factory for making Solar Panels nearby."

Other Shinji smiled and said, "I took you on a tour while you were six; you liked how shiny everything was, right?"

Smiling, Ken said, "That was four years ago! Let's see Mr. Tokita again next time!"

Shinji blinked, "Um… Why didn't the Tokita in this world set up a solar panel factory here?"

His counterpart from another world mused, "Hmm… His investing in Solar Panels would make him look harmless and even benign; this opens up a chance that once he makes Jet Alone and maybe Jet Alone 2, Father might underestimate him in this world…"

He praised his younger self with, "All right, that's an idea - We turn this town into a boomtown right under Father's nose! If Mr. Nomura can write letters saying you are even sadder and more friendless despite all the people coming, that will help get his okay for it!"

Mr. Nomura arched an eyebrow and said, "Me, lie to Mr. Ikari? Hmm… I've technically already been doing that."

The aging professor of music rubbed his smooth chin, smoothing out a wrinkle for a second, then smiled.

"My parallel self must be glad to have raised you…"

------

The small nameless town had a lake, and the lake had enough fish for a few old folk to cast their lines in.

Shinji had not seen why people liked fishing. They had to wait long, in the hot sun, waiting for fish that may or may not come.

But now that he was trying it, he could see why people wanted to do it; they were alone but not lonely, silent but not sad.

And now, one month after meeting with Ken and his father (Himself?), he could understand Mr. Nomura more when the latter occasionally went to the lake to fish.

Ken and Older Shinji were back in their home world for a while, so he had accepted Mr. Nomura's offer to fish with him - He needed to talk with the retired music professor whom his father had ordered to raise him.

"Sensei… Mr. Nomura," he blurted out, "Will they leave me one day? Ken and Other Shinji?"

Ken visited for a few hours each day because he felt sorry for him. Because he, in his sense of justice, wanted Shinji to have friends. But even if that lasted… Did Ken really see him as a friend?

Mr. Nomura gasped a little at the question but decided to answer his ward, "Not to sow the seeds of strife, but sometimes, they cannot help it. Do you think that Ken and Other Shinji can do what they want, wherever they want, even in their home world? Or even that whoever is in charge in that other world will allow it forever?"

He sighed and said, "Older Shinji - Other Shinji - needs a good reason to come here. Ken thinks nothing of breaking the laws of Gods and Men just so he can do what he thinks is right, but he can be stopped even if he has a Miniature Spear."

Looking Shinji in the eye, he said, "Now, tell me, what if, say, your father told you that you can't see Ken anymore or he'll kill him? And what if your father has a way to do that?"

Shinji's eyes opened wide as he mumbled, "...Then I won't be able to see Ken."

Mr. Nomura smiled faintly at the boy, then followed up by saying, "So cherish the moments you have with him. If he and his father suddenly disappear, you can keep the memories."

Shinji nodded in understanding; not the acknowledgment he had shown to adults before; he had a flicker of knowledge of what others went through, now…

End of Chapter One

Users who are viewing this thread

Back