• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Outsourcing, A Lazy Art Thread

Past Arts and June 2024's Wasted Effort

Shawqi

Know what you're doing yet?
I'm going to fill this with my arts, like these.

Previous Arts

My Avatar:
29788.jpg

This was where I cropped my avatar from:
view.jfif
I had used it when I was still active in Zazzle. It was very disappointing, the dashboard didn't even show my finished artwork. I really didn't understand why it was, that no matter how much effort I use, my design had never been sold.

I think it wasn't even shown on the site's front page.

I still want to make use of my Zazzle accounts, but maybe one day soon. Also I'd make sure that I won't depend on their awful shopfront page because it just never work like what I intended no matter how hard I try to.

My current banner for this site.

E1CoTCKUUAApfk9.jfif

And this was what I was busy last month with. What a waste of effort though. It's my own fault for being lazy when my only art tools was just pencil, scanner, Illegally used software, and keyboard+mouse

60th Anniversary Love of Pop-Tarts on Threadless
1071856-71c68bdbbc15b0373d4d7cfa6ab32226.png

2004.png

2024.png

3%20Generation.png

It was such a shame because I had made a great gimmick; 3 generations of PopTarts enjoyer.

What a waste of time.

What I intended with this thread:

Help me with some inspirations. I had to waste so many days just looking for inspirations, even when I was lacking in time, what with the necessity of negotiating and scheduling laptop usage with its owner.

I'm hoping I could source it out to you guys, whoever read this thread and want to comments on it. Who knows, if I could submit things faster then maybe I could sell things and get money.

What I'm currently confused about :

Retail Trends
  • Self-care / Wellness Typography: Whether sincere, sassy, or straight up crass, get creative with your verbiage.
  • Vintage Thrift: Create diamonds in the rough otherwise found in the racks, inspired by times gone by—whether real life or make believe!
  • Coquette: Pastels and frilly lace, whether traditional or with a mystical, horror-leaning dark side.
  • Modern Americana: Iconic symbols—the rustic olde west, retro sports, and cars and automotive (no IP, please)—with a modern twist.
Help me out. Last month I was confused about Y'allternative and now the only thing left was scanning some image about goth girl wearing cowboy hat...

And the topic of this submission already changed to those listed above.

Give me something good about those four, something inspirative I could lift quickly.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Your avatar image is pretty dang good! It would fit in with a collage of manga images as it currently is. Showing that, then zooming out to the actual environment? It's good! The roots are very consistent, very clearly healthy rather than the withered, jagged look you would see in miserable settings. The hair, clothing, boxes- it all feels deliberate and thoughtfully selected. I don't have strong feelings on their faces though. The level of detail on the faces is fine given how large the image is, but... I'm not sure. If you were making dozens of images of these characters, with that style of eyes? I'd strongly recommend doing something with eyebrows, the brow itself, and maybe depth in general, if you keep the eyes like that. You definitely CAN make it work. I'd just say the faces aren't the highlight of this page, so it is generally fine and dandy.

If this image was plucked from a larger scene? A snippet from a little story or a dynamic you had in mind for these two characters? Why was this the one you chose to make, for their poses, feelings, etc.? Absolutely nothing wrong with idle, recuperative moments! It's like it is all arranged to make me curious! Why is the girl feeling "politely impatient" with the boy? Is the boy homeless, living here with stolen goods, or are they traveling as part of a larger group?

Your profile banner is fine. I'm a big fan of the "ribbon" style of folded metal you used for the elf on the left. The weapon, her outfit, the fact that it could be a uniform? Good stuff. The middle character (might not be male, but I'm running with that) is alright. My brain is saying the paper should have more detail to it. Not NECESSARILY thicker, and it doesn't need to be a scroll, but it could be darker. Could have wear and tear. Could have a candle lighting it maybe. The headwear is neat? I'd be interested to know if the whole outfit is like that, or if it is some sort of Japan-inspired "protagonist" headwear. It makes me imagine RPGs set centuries after a fantasy war, with lots of ruins exploration and monster fighting. Which is nice enough! Adventurers SHOULD be looking into ruins that are more interesting than IRL ruins!

Might be making me imagine a bit of Code Lyoko too.

Girl on the right is also very solid, good design. Great hair texturing. The designs on her collar and shoulders are very similar to the left girl's clothing, very good. Makes things feel consistent, even if they are from different parts of the world. I couldn't tell you what her role in ruins-delving would be, nor what her fantasy class could be. But that's fine. She could be an elf, but I suspect she's a human, so fine and dandy there. No idea if she is wearing a uniform, and the headband could be a personal piece of flare, but it is still a solid outfit... Which could be ruined by silly colors, but is fine with realistic leather colors OR normal fantasy colors.

Finally the pop tart images. I can't put it into words well, but I think the eyes here are the best, they show the most growth and skill. The third image, 2024's woman? Her eyes are just PRETTY, and expressive. It doesn't need to HAVE a larger purpose for some story- it is just nice to look at, and her casualness invites me to relax too. More honest than "Hollywood sterile and soulless" casual home stuff.

With the support of the prior images, I definitely see what you are aiming for with the 3 Generations/60 Years art. It's a solid idea, would definitely deserve upvotes and praise in the right Reddit communities. Even in black and white. Capturing a bit of that connection, that familiarity and comfort? You've captured something as rare as lightning in a bottle with the concept and posing here.

Maybe there is a way to remake it into something with less detail required. Or maybe there is a medium that will allow you to try again with less stress. As it stands, I don't give a damn about poptarts- but I'm glad I saw that piece of art. Glad I really looked instead of just glancing, and appreciated your description of what it would have become.

I like the first two images in the set of four as well, but I'm a bit tired of typing. Like the colors, like the, well, genuine spunk and liveliness of the 2004 image. You have improved, but you've always had some personal spark to build off of.
Now for your prompt. I use reddit, I look at the generally disconnected webcomics or single-panel art that blows up with upvotes, if not heartfelt praise. Doesn't need to have text, but capturing a distinct voice for characters- or saying something the audience agrees witj- can make up for art that is... Functional. Functional like Dilbert, but for different genres like "generic sword and sorcery fantasy." Or "ugly near future poverty, with virtual worlds as escapism."

I'm just going to spitball with answers here, I don't think we follow similar circles, I'm not sure if I get the distinct styles you are imagining.
Modern Americana

My own addition- I follow a subreddit called StreetMoe. It has devolved into a lot of softcore ecchi stuff, but looking at top posts from years past shows the old core of it.
It has a lot of "athleisure" too, but I'm not finding that right now. So this is a small, obscure subcommunity. Much smaller than, say, CottageCore. It is obscure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back