• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Question regarding rule 3, plagiarism vs preservation and sharing

anarchoMando

Not too sore, are you?
This is a hypothetical / moral question, one which I have to ask.

Say I were to repost a fanfic here

I am not the original author..

(However there are some stipulations Before You accuse me In This hypothetical scenario of plagiarism)

Say this fan fic that I found was one that I remembered nearly a decade ago and but fell off the Earth(and it was deleted off of its original site holder)
I really liked it and I want to share it and preserve it.

And I successfully I found the one place where in the corner of the internet it was salvaged,(almost miraculously)

I cannot find the author so I cannot ask thair permission
(I have his name and I would name him as the true author. But their account was deleted on the original holder) But on the other hand I think the story conceptually stands on its own two feet.

Would this scenario be allowed.
Would I be able to post it here so that the denizens of this Hall of smut and villainy can read it

(Moderated, of course, I don't want to be accused of a plagiarist, I love this story, I wanted to be preserved. And I thought it was almost lost for good)

uplifted by darkdanny
Salvaged by me,(and spell check where it's needed)

Okay this is going to sound bad and fetishy.

Technically this is a mass effect story. (But is honest to God can be read without Mass effect knowledge so long as you know the history)

"Desperate for an end to the exile, now in its forty seventh year, the quarians decide on a last audacious plan to help them destroy the geth. However, January 1942 in occupied Russia might not be the best place for first contact with humanity."
Honestly it's one of my favorite gray depictions I found of World War II where in the beginning you absolutely fucking hate the protagonist and in the end you somehow root for him.

Well... I'm not a moderator or administrator but I think that in the situation you described it should be fine as long as you don't try to pass off other people's work as your own.

There's threads that are translations of chinese or Korean only fanfics. The poster explains from the beginning it's just a translation.

The difference as I see it is honesty. Admitting you're just reposting (for preservation) or translating or "i copied 99% of it and fiddled with the numbers of the system to my preference" and NOT "I did it all! Behold this new thing!(that i stole)" is the difference .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back