• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Reborn As An Evolution Wolf [LitRPG]

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

Animals live such carefree lives!

They do not. After being killed by a wolf in a post-apocalyptic world, The protagonist rebirths as an evolution wolf.

A wolf that can evolve into a stronger being after levelling up.

He will do whatever it takes to achieve his final evolution as an absolute being, the peak of mortality making him able to use magic.

All the while fighting with forces of humans who oppress other species, deeming them inferior and at their mercy. Just because only they possess the right to use magic.

He will lead the army of the beasts in the great war between humans and beasts, hoping to build a peaceful kingdom for his people one day!
Chapter 1: So I was reborn, anyway. New

WhiteBlack

Getting out there.
Chapter 1: So I was reborn, anyway.

The great forest was dark and silent, except for the sound of running water and mournful howls. A pack of wolves gathered around their dying leader, who had fought bravely against the monstrous Queen Bee.

The bee's stinger was embedded in the 6-foot-tall creature's forehead. A fatal wound that poisoned his blood and clouded his vision. His thick white fur was stained with purple and yellow, a grim contrast to the green and brown of the forest. His jaws clenched the bee's body, a final act of defiance and victory.

His eyes had no light left.

Apart from two females and six cubs that cried for him, there was one that stood out. His fur was black as night, and his eyes were red as blood. He was neither their species nor their kin, but they had accepted him as their own. He was an anomaly, a mystery, a stray.

He was the protagonist of this story. Well technically.

As he wept, suddenly, certain symbols appeared in his teary vision. Words that he could not understand, obviously.

//

Incoming Stray Conscious Detected

Apply?

>Yes
>No

//

He was startled by the sudden appearance of the words and by the voice that spoke in his head. He did not know what they meant or what to do. He instinctively moved his head, trying to get rid of them. But he made a mistake. He touched the word that said yes.

//

>>YES!

Command accepted!

Applying Conscious

//

He felt a jolt of pain, then a flood of flowing memories. Memories that were not his own but of another being. A being that walked on two legs, wore clothes, and used tools. A being that lived in a world of metal and glass, of noise and chaos, of violence and despair. A being that died not long ago.

He ran for his life, dodging the rubble and the corpses that filled the mall. He could hear the wolf's roar and the sound of its paws behind him, getting closer and closer. He knew it was only a matter of time before the beast caught up with him and ripped him to shreds.

He had been looking for food and supplies when he encountered, perhaps from the ongoing apocalypse or some mysterious reason, this wild creature had found its way in the cocreated world. It was skinny and dirty, but still strong and hungry. Its species is unknown. It attacked him as soon as it saw him, enforcing the primaeval food chain with its force.

He had no weapon, no protection. He only had his feet and his instincts. He ran through the mall, hoping to find a way out or a place to hide. But the mall was a hell of destruction and death. The windows were broken, the doors were locked, and the stores were plundered and burned. There was no sign of life, except for the wolf and him.

He reached the food court, hoping to find something to distract the wolf or to use as a weapon. But there was nothing left, only empty booths and rotten food. He looked around, desperate for an escape. He saw a fire extinguisher on the wall. He grabbed it and threw it at the wolf, hoping to slow it down or hurt it.

The wolf dodged the extinguisher, barely missing it. It growled and jumped at him, its mouth wide open. He tried to avoid it, but it was too late. The wolf bit his arm, tearing the flesh and bones. He screamed in pain and terror, feeling the blood spurt out of his wound. He fell to the floor, dropping the extinguisher.

The wolf did not let go of his arm. It shook its head, ripping his arm off. He felt a surge of agony, then a wave of numbness. He knew he was going to die. He looked at the wolf, its eyes red and its fur soaked with his blood. He felt no anger, no hate, and no fear. He felt only pity, for himself and for the wolf. They were both victims of a cruel and hopeless world.

He closed his eyes, waiting for the end. He heard the wolf's howl, a sound of triumph and sorrow. He felt the wolf's teeth on his neck, piercing his skin and veins. He felt his life drain away, his heartbeat fading. He felt nothing, then everything, then nothing again.

He was gone.

"Woah, that was intense!"

I sigh, fully aware of what had happened. I had been killed by a wolf, and then my consciousness had been transferred to another world in a wolf cub's body.

Quite cliché, but okay!

I wasn't going to waste my time pretending to doubt the obvious. I had memories of both the cub and the human I used to be.

I felt a little sad about having died, but I couldn't really do anything about that now. I should try to live my new life as a wolf and try to find happiness.

By the way, do I have a system?

I willed it in my mind, and sure enough:

//

Name: None

Race: Evolution Wolf Cub

Level: 1(0/10)

Skills: None

Evolution Path: Need Level 10

//

Is that it? Where are HP, intelligence, luck, etc.? I have seen many more in the novels I read.

Anyway.

I looked around. The mood was tense. A huge wolf, about 6 feet tall, was lying on the ground. Dead. Since he was the biggest in this group, he must be the leader. I had memories of him as well. He was quite brave when he fought. Poor guy. For a wolf to be killed by a bee. A shame!

Without the leader, the whole group would be in danger. Me as well. What if I died right after rebirth? That would be sad, wouldn't it?

I hope the females can attract a new male soon.

I tried to move around.

This new body was kind of light and fluffy; walking on four legs is the best. A human might not think like this, but for a wolf cub like me, it's very convenient. I got used to it in a few seconds.

I walked slowly towards the creek in front of me. A body of water with a weird smell. It was like a mini-river. I peeked at my reflection in the green water.

Two red eyes stared at me intensely, in pitch black form. My body was small, like a puppy, but my teeth looked much more sharp.

I was a handsome guy. Though a little too small, I bet one of the bigger wolves could eat me in one bite.

I turned around. This place was, by no chance, Earth.

Earth doesn't have trees with black

leaves, blue grass, and such. Most importantly, there were two suns in the sky.

I mean stars.

To be continued

Chapter 2: Eating the Giant Bee New
Day 1

I sat in the deepest part of the wolf den. This cave wasn't too far from the creek, supposedly the wolf pack's shelter.

After howling for hours, as the sun(s) began disappearing on the horizon, the cubs were chased by the female inside here. I was too.

The female wolf in charge of me, a beautiful creature of nature, was about 2/3 of the size of the corpse that has already begun rotting.

She came behind me slowly and pushed me with her nose towards the direction of the den.

At first, I didn't understand what she wanted. I stepped away from her.

She pushed again, this time using strength. My found legs scuffled together, and I fell down.

Bitch!

"Grrr...." I spat angrily. I wanted to curse her, but that was not possible with this wolf throat.

It was a strange feeling. No matter what I tried to say, only a growl left my mouth.

Before she would nudge me the fourth time, I had understood what she wanted. I mean, I wasn't blind.

I could see the other female. She looked like she was thoroughly bullying the her little cubs. Grabbing them with her teeth from the back of their necks and throwing them towards the cave. All the while glowling like the beast she was.

She was being rough with them.

For the fear she might do the same with me, I charged, hurried towards the cave, and entered it.

I was surprised at how fast I could run in this body. Three times as fast as before.

Inside the cave, it was quite messy. It was, after all, a wolf den; the atmosphere was dimly lit from the twilight, with the scent of earth and musk lingering in the air. Twisted roots and dried leaves form a makeshift bedding in the centre, providing a cosy nest. The den's walls, composed of solid black rocks, offered a sense of security, while the echoes of distant chirping occasionally penetrated the quiet sanctuary.

I dragged myself to the farthest corner, not wanting to interact with others. Why?

Well, I was a human not too long ago. The fear of wolves, having died by the fangs of one, was still very high in my mind.

Even if years of the apocalyptic crisis have long since made me quite courageous in nature, Human instincts are hard to suppress.

I am no longer human, though, so I am sure this fear will die out soon.

After a bit of struggle, I folded my four legs in a fashion that was most comfortable and settled down. I made sure to remember this position for future use as well.

I was not tired, but everyone else was doing the same, so I followed suit.

By everyone, I meant the cubs. The females, after stuffing us in here, rushed outside again. Who knows what they were up to?

Anyway.

Including me, there were six cubs here; each looked slightly different from the other, but they were of the same species. I was sure of that.

How do you ask? The same way I could tell the females apart from the males. My new-found beast instinct. To identify ones of your own kind. Differentiate between the sexes. This much was easy for animals.

Or perhaps it was my keen sense of smell. I was not sure.

Two of the cubs were already asleep. They slept together in the centre of the cave. One was sitting at the entrance of the cave, perhaps waiting for the females.

Or perhaps it couldn't move eyes from the corpse. Who says animals don't have empathy?

The last two were fighting together, no playing. Biting and pushing each other, making dust to flow everywhere.

These noisy types were trying to ease up their pent-up frustration. Understandable.

I decided to name them.

I was still a small cub, so I was sure I couldn't survive in the jungle on my own. Meaning I would live with them for a while.

It would be inconvenient if I didn't know what to call them, wouldn't it?

"Umm, let's see. The one at the entrance is Cub A. The sleeping lots are B and C. The fighters are D and E. Making me the failure, F, of the pack."

I didn't put too much thought into it. Most of them would die not long from now.

Jungle life isn't that kind. Without a leader, there is no hope for them.

The females weren't stupid. They weren't playing around outside the den in such darkness. They aren't hunting either.

They are getting rid of the corpse.

If it stayed near the den, it was bound to attract the attention of other creatures. I saw how big that bee was. Who knows what kind of beasts roam in this world's jungles?

Even if no predator came, The rotting flesh would eventually make the lives of these wolves unbearable. Their sharp sense of smell will be their biggest frustration at that point. And don't forget the huge swarm of flies and insects.

Meaning to say the females knew what they were doing.

They came back after a couple hours. By that time it had gotten completely dark inside the den. If it weren't for the superior eyesight of this new body, I wouldn't see a thing.

They were both covered in blood and dirt. One of them, which pushed me earlier to say (female Alpha), held that huge bee in her mouth. It was in pathetic conditions. It's wings were already withered, and a gel-like substance was oozing from its round body. It was about 1 foot in diameter. Its previous yellow colour, appeared grey in the darkness.

The final gift of the male wolf to his family.

It smelled like vomit. Even worse.

Alpha rolled down the bee on the floor and gave a small growl. She was demanding that the cubs to accept his gift of compassion.

Was that even edible?

Beta, the second female, had already made her way to the entrance as she chased Cub A aside and sat down, looking outside. She was guarding the den.

All the cubs were moved. Cub B and C were already awake by now; they were beasts, their instincts were strong, and sleep was light.

They might have sensed this horrible smell even in their dreams.

What kind of dreams did wolves see anyway?

The cubs weren't picky eaters. They obediently walked towards their food and started eating it. Using their paws as forks and their teeth as knives.

A smooth sound of munching filled the cave.

Alpha made a somewhat satisfied expression, the motherly bliss of seeing her children eat. It was like that until her eyes darted around and found me.

A chill ran through my spine.

Do I have to eat this too? Is that what she wants from me?

I was reluctant. But I didn't make a fuss.

In the last few years of my life, the kinds of things I had eaten were not to be taken lightly.

So what is a giant bee? A corpse? As long as there is no risk of disease, I'd eat it.

I am not human anymore; I can't expect to find clean, cooked food.

I was hungry. I hadn't eaten anything since my rebirth. I stood up slowly and made my way towards the other cubs.

Upon sensing me, they immediately made a small gap in their circular formation. Very courteous of them. They had long accepted me as one of them.

I held my breath and closed my eyes.

The sense of smell is greatly influenced by the senses of sight and smell.

I took a small bite of the plumpest area of the bee. My mouth got filled with a slimy, disgusting cold liquid. I had no courage to chew on this stuff.

I gulped.

Disgusting! I can't describe how bad it tasted. Imagine there is a piece of cheese, flush it in the toilet, then take it out of the sewer. Now eat it.

That's what I felt like I was doing.

// Consumed: Great Bee Flesh

+ 3 Energy

//

A system notification came into view.

One bite of this crap means +3 energy, huh? I wonder how I can see my stats. Without knowing how much energy I have, I can't determine anything.

I ate a few more bites. My energy rose with 12 more points, making it a total of 15 points.

Sure enough, I was feeling a bit more energetic. What a waste, though. It was time to sleep. It had gotten too dark to even see the food anymore, even with my superior sight.

"I hope my whole stomach is strong enough to dissolve what I just ate. I don't want to vomit it out."

It was nauseating.

Chapter 3: Destabilization New
Chapter 3: Destabilization

Day 2

My eyes opened to the sound of a commotion. Something was happening outside the cave. I had slept quite well last night, considering it was my first day as a wolf and all.

The apocalypse had increased my adaptability.

I rose up from my spot, the farthest corner of the cave, and looked around.

Cub B and C were still wedged together in the centre of the cave, sleeping deeply. Cub B lay on its side, allowing Cub C to rest its head on its belly. Their breathing was even and soft.

They were both female cubs, so perhaps they felt more comfortable around each other.

I rolled my eyes and left the cave, dragging my feet carefully through the roots that stuck out of the soil. Now that I saw this cave in daylight, it looked very different from before.

I mean, more messy. A strong odour of unrine soiled the wall of the left, while on the right somehow green vines were growing upwards.

I hurried out of there.

As soon as I exited the cave, I came across the source of the commotion.

The females were fishing in the creek.

Alpha's silver-white fur glistens in the dappled sun's light, as she crouched by the stinking creek water. Her eyes were focused on the water's flow as she patiently waited.

Alongside her Beta, whose whole head was inside the water, sat still at the bank. Her body absolutely still resembling a snowy lump.

She only pulled out her head when it became unbearable, in intervals of around 40 seconds.

Around her, the playful cubs D and E frolicked in the tall grass, occasionally pouncing on each other.

These idiots.

Does this creek really have any fish though? Besides, why were they fishing? Don't tell me they didn't go hunting in the dusk.

Either way, it was a strange way to fish.

I walked to the creek and licked its surface, trying to drink water. Though this water was smelly and translucent, I couldn't hope to find any better source of water. Besides, after eating that thing last night, nothing could disgust me.

This water was slightly sour. Acidic pH perhaps, I chugged it down my throat immediately.

I waited for the system notification, but nothing happened.

So, drinking water didn't give me any kind of points? Thought so.

"SPLASH ~!"

Beta pulled out her head in an instant, making splashes of water fly everywhere. Some even got on my fur.

I just rolled my eyes again, seeing that her jaw was still empty. They hadn't caught a single fish yet.

It seems like I would have to find today's food myself.

"Huff Huff.."

Just as I was thinking about trying to eat the grass, a small huffing sound turned my head around.

Through the russling blades of giant blue grass, Cub A came running towards us from the opposite direction of the den.

"What was he upto all this time, and why is he in such a hurry?"

He was making a strange noise, a noise that the other wolves immediately understood. Everyone but me.

Alpha and Beta immediately stopped playing with fish and ran towards A. They growled at each other in their beastly language.

After that, all five of them broke out in a series loud howls. Their eyes locked in the direction Cub A came from.

"Howl! Howl!"

"Hooooowwwll~"

The little D and E were also trying their best to howl, but their sound could fade among their mothers' voices.

Not long after, similar howls started erupting from the opposite side as well. Now I understood what was happening.

A wolf pack showdown!

Each wolf pack has its own turf and territory for hunting and sheltering purposes. They mark this territory by unrine, faeces, rubbing their scent on rocks and trees, etc.; that's not the important part.

So, what happens when a pack leader dies?

A new leader will emerge from the remaining pack. But if this new leader turned out to be weaker than the previous one, Other pack leaders would attack them to seize territory and females.

Apparently, another wolf pack found out about the death of the male wolf.

The opposite howls became louder and louder until eventually their footsteps could also be heard.

They were approaching here very fast.

"What the hell am I doing? I should get out of here."

I didn't know what would happen when they got there. There is no adult male in this pack, so a fight is less likely.

Sure, in some packs, females are the dominant ones. But seeing alpha and beta struggle so much without catching a single fish, I couldn't rely on them.

Moreover, the approaching footsteps didn't sound like a small pack's.

"HOWL!!~~" The female's didn't stop there howls.

Seeing how they were trying so hard to scare them away by howling, in appreciation of their courage, I decided to stay.

Like I said, the apocalypse had made me tough.

Soon they came into sight. A pack of grey wolves, a slight darker shade than this pack. One, two, three...

Around 18 wolves surrounded us from all directions in a matter of time.

Behind us was the creek.

Alpha and Beta had stopped howling a while ago as a huge, about 8-foot-tall, male wolf with battle scars all over his face stepped forward. He was the biggest in his pack, so obviously.

He was their leader!

Now, what would you do? Show me your true intentions.

"HOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLLL!!!~"

Without warning, leader made the loudest noise I'd heard in my life.

Louder than when my living room had exploded.

If he wasn't howling at the sky, I was sure my ears would have bled.

When he stopped his howl, it was followed by the pin-drop silence from all wolves. Both ours and theirs as well. The leader had displaced his absolute strength.

Before long, his fierce yellow eyes got locked on alpha and beta. He opened his mouth and then closed it several times.

They both returned his eye contact. Showing an unyielding stance.

After exchanging a few growls, the leader broke eye contact and looked around.

Not far from Alpha and Beta, Cub A was shivering in fear; its bodies froze up due to the intensity of the situation. But Cub C and D were a bit more energetic, but apart from their faint growling towards the leader, they didn't do anything.

"No, you idiot, don't look into his eyes."

I sighed in my mind. It was Cub E who was doing this foolery. Did he not know what it means to make eye contact in the Beast Kingdom?

The leader wolf slowly raised his huge paw in the air, and in another moment, blood flowed into the blue grass.

Females were an asset to the pack, but male cubs of another rival wolf? They were just too repulsive and unnecessary.

My heart stopped for a split-second. It happened too fast. Alpha and Beta were the first ones to react; they pounced at the leader to save Cub D at least.

It was in vain, though.

Another paw stricked, more blood flowed through the grass.

The surrounding was filled with mournful howls. A desperate struggle from Beta unfolded. But she couldn't do anything to the leader. Alpha had already decided to retreat, she ran towards the den to find Cub B & C. Cub A had disappeared from its place.

Next, the leader looked at me.

I was male, So I was in danger.

Without another thought, while Beta were still trying to resist, I decided to escape.

The creek in front of me wasn't too wide—four feet at best. I took a few steps back before charging forward and jumping over to the other side.

// Mundane stunt bonus: + 1 XP //

I didn't stop; I kept running. A loud howling, growls, and cries came from behind me. My heart beated from a strange place.

I didn't stop.

// Ran for 100 metres: +1 stamina, +1 speed //

Soon. I disappeared in the blue grass.

To be continued.

Chapter 4: Hunt and Hunted New
[ Ran for 200 meters: +2 speed, +2 stamina ]

It wasn't until my lungs couldn't keep up that I stopped running.

I looked behind me; I wasn't being followed anymore.

I sighed in relief. Apparently, the wolf leader was not so interested in killing me; he just wanted me gone, away from the females.

The situation had changed too suddenly. Cubs E and D were killed in front of my eyes. Cub A was missing. I, too, would have been killed if it wasn't for Beta protecting me at the last moment.

My legs gave in, and I collapsed to the ground, completely submerged in the tall blue grass.

Darkness loomed over my eyelids.

"Such tragedy..."

I sighed.

In my previous life, tragedies weren't few; I thought I had gotten used to them. But I overestimated myself.

Now what? The pack that I had staked my initial survival on had crumbled. Even if they didn't kill Alpha or Beta, even if they spared Cubs B and C for future prospects, I had no place left there.

I was on my own once again, forced to survive in these harsh conditions. This world wasn't too different from my previous one in that regard.

I was also the same: a coward.

"It couldn't be helped. There was no one I could have saved."

That was beyond my power. I forced myself to divert my thoughts from the matter. Dealing with my current situation was more important.

I needed to survive.

For the moment, I was safe; my small body was completely hidden in the tall grass, and my scent was likely masked by their fragrance.

But that would change at night.

Practically speaking, the forest was ten times more dangerous after dark. The most dangerous creatures come out then, hunting for food.

Most of them have night vision.

"Shelter is the first priority."

The moment I thought that, my stomach rumbled.

"Food is second."

After a bit of rest, my vision returned, though I still felt weak. I stood up again, inspecting my surroundings.

Huge trees surrounded me. Looking up, I could barely make out their height. I had never seen trees this big in my previous life.

As I walked ahead, I found myself beneath a dense canopy that blocked most of the light.

Strange, luminescent flowers illuminated one of the trees, glowing with a dim light. They would definitely look stunning at night.

As I wandered deeper into the forest, I sensed an otherworldly presence all around me. Strange whispers echoed through the trees, and I could feel the eyes of unseen creatures watching me from the shadows.

My heart sank. I was exposed; I could be killed at any time.

Luckily, I was a wolf. Though small, I shouldn't be on the menu for most of the creatures—at least, not that I could think of. Who knows what kind of food chain this world follows?

Every step seemed to take me further away from the world I once knew. The gravity of the situation pressed down on me.

This was indeed another world.

After a while, the air grew thick and humid, and I could almost taste something dull on my tongue.

Was it about to rain?

I couldn't shake the feeling of being a stranger in a strange land. It felt like I was trespassing, and any misstep could have dire consequences.

I walked deeper into the blue grass, surrounded by the unnatural hue that colored this forest. Last night's events replayed in my mind—blood, howls, and the giant male wolf. I had escaped, but the pack hadn't been so lucky.

I was alone now. Alone and starving.

Grrr...

My stomach growled, demanding attention. I hadn't eaten since the strange meat from my first night as a wolf, and whatever nutrients it provided were long gone. My body felt weak, sluggish. I needed food.

The forest was still cloaked in early morning gloom, with thick mist swirling around the tree trunks. It was eerily silent, but I could sense movement—small critters rustling in the underbrush, birds chirping in the distance, and the faint scent of something... alive.

Food.

I rose to my feet, my body still stiff from running, and carefully sniffed the air. The scent was faint but unmistakable—prey. My wolf instincts kicked in, and I moved quietly, my paws gliding over the damp ground as I followed the scent deeper into the woods.

The mist parted as I reached a small clearing. A pinkish creature, smaller than me, was grazing at the edge, completely unaware of my presence. Its pink fur was a stark contrast to the blue and green landscape. Its two long ears stuck out of its head like a rabbit's. My mouth watered as my eyes locked onto its fragile neck.

[ Prey detected. Target identified: Albino rabbit. Engaging Hunt mode.]

Finally, a system notification that would actually be useful.

Hunting wasn't too foreign to me in my past life. But there, I mostly hunted rats or raccoons. Though I'm not sure if using traps counts as hunting.

I crouched low, muscles tensing as I prepared to pounce. The rabbit's ears twitched, but it still didn't notice me. My heart pounded as I crept closer, each step deliberate, silent.

Just a little more...

Crack.

Suddenly, a loud crack echoed through the forest—the sound of a snapping branch beneath my paw.

Damn it.

The rabbit bolted, its powerful legs launching it into the trees before I could react.

"Damn it!"

I sprang after it, but the adrenaline surging through its veins gave it a significant head start. I dodged trees, leaped over roots, and forced my body to keep up, but the deer was fast—too fast.

[ Ran 50 meters: +1 stamina ]

Another notification flashed in my mind, but it was useless. I needed food, not stats.

The rabbit vanished into a thick patch of underbrush, and I lost sight of it. My lungs burned, and my limbs felt like lead. I slowed to a stop, panting, eyes scanning the trees for any sign of movement.

Nothing.

A growl of frustration escaped me. My first real hunt, and I had failed. At this rate, I wouldn't survive another day without food.

Russle.

Just as I was about to turn back, something shifted in the shadows—something much larger than the rabbit.

I froze.

A hulking figure emerged from the mist, its grey fur blending with the surroundings. A wolf, bigger than any I'd seen in the pack. Its yellow eyes gleamed as it stalked toward me. My heart sank.

It was from the rival pack. Were they still looking for me? That couldn't be right.

Instinctively, I bared my teeth and growled, but I knew I was no match for a wolf this size. The scars crisscrossing its body marked it as a seasoned fighter, while I was just an inexperienced outsider, barely hanging on.

[ Adversary: Grey wolf. Combat probability: 1% success. ]

That was a nice way of saying I was about to be torn apart.

The wolf circled me, lips curling back to reveal sharp teeth. It was sizing me up, deciding if I was worth the effort. I stood still. Running wasn't an option—not this time. There was nowhere to go.

Suddenly, the wolf stopped, its nose twitching. It sniffed the air, then shifted its gaze elsewhere. For a moment, I thought it was over, but the wolf didn't attack. Instead, it let out a low growl, then darted into the woods, vanishing into the mist as quickly as it had appeared.

I stood there, stunned, trying to process what had just happened. Why didn't it attack me? What had it smelled?

Before I could make sense of it, a system notification appeared.

[ Danger level reduced. Threat has departed. ]

I let out a shaky breath. I was still alive—barely.

But there was no time to ponder why. This forest was full of unknowns, and every second could be my last. I needed food and shelter before nightfall.

I forced myself to calm down, then continued deeper into the woods. My legs ached, and hunger gnawed at me, but I pressed on. Survival was the only option. If I could find food, maybe I could gain the strength to fight back. Maybe I could find my pack again—if they were still alive.

That thought lingered in my mind as I trudged through the forest, senses on high alert for anything edible.

Hours passed, and I still found nothing. I chewed on some grass leaves, but they were too bitter to swallow.

Exhaustion overtook me, and I collapsed, trying to clear my head. Food would have to wait—shelter was now the priority.

Just as I gathered my thoughts, a faint, delicious scent drifted to my nose.

I shot up and ran toward the smell. After running for a few minutes, I spotted something unusual in the distance. A faint glow, flickering through the trees. Fire?

I moved closer, cautiously, until I saw the source: a campfire, with a group of humans sitting around it.

They were speaking in low voices, unaware of my presence. My heart pounded as I watched them. Humans meant food. They had supplies—meat, maybe even cooked food. My wolf instincts told me to run, but the human part of me longed for their warmth and safety.

I crouched low behind thick bushes, heart racing as I peered through the underbrush. Just a few yards away, three humans sat around the fire, their shadows stretching long in the fading light. The fire crackled, sending sparks into the dusk, while the scent of cooking meat filled the air.

They were hunters.

Dressed in worn leather and furs, their clothes were stained from a day of successful hunting. The woman sat with her back straight, her sharp eyes scanning the surroundings as though still on guard. Her black hair was tightly braided, and she expertly flipped a piece of meat over the flames. Next to her, a broad-shouldered man with a thick beard drank from a flask, his face flushed with satisfaction. The third, a lean man with sharp features, tended the fire, poking the logs to keep the flames alive.

"That stag didn't stand a chance," the bearded man boasted with a grin. "Three arrows in it before it even knew what hit it."

The woman smirked, wiping her hands. "Lucky for you I softened it up, or it would've outrun you both."

The lean man chuckled, shaking his head. "Either way, we've got plenty for tonight."

As they talked in a tongue unknown to me, they tore into the cooked meat, barely paying attention to the pile of carcasses behind them. My eyes shifted, and my heart skipped a beat.

There, among the bodies of deer and rabbits, was Cub A, lying beneath a tree. His breathing was slow but steady.

Relief and anxiety warred inside me. Cub A was alive—but captured by hunters.

Why hadn't they killed him? Why wasn't he chained or caged? And if he wasn't restrained, why wasn't he running?

My body trembled with suppressed emotions—grief, rage, helplessness. These hunters were dangerous, and the smell of blood—both old and fresh—hung thick in the air.

I couldn't act. It was either Cub A or both of us.

I pulled back, my heart heavy. I could only watch, waiting for the right moment.

Crack!

I stepped on a trap. A vine snapped up, catching my back leg, pulling me into the air.

I let out a reflexive growl before I could stop myself.

"Dammit! No way..."

The hunters noticed immediately. I heard hurried footsteps and excited voices approaching.

"Well, look at this! Can't even have lunch without prey falling into our traps. Talk about luck!"

"Eh, it's too small," the bearded man grunted. "Barely enough skin for a decent purse."

I couldn't understand their words, but their faces told me enough. A knife—no, a dagger—glinted in the bearded man's hand as he approached me.

I was hanging mid-air, like a piñata, helpless.

"It's over," I sighed.

It had never really begun for me, to be honest. I stayed still, hoping they would finish me quickly if I cooperated.

But then, the female hunter stepped forward, eyes locking onto mine.

"Wait! It's too cute... I'm keeping this one."

Chapter 5: Village New
I woke to darkness, my heart still pounding. The air smelled thick and sharp—like metal and something worse. My paws scrambled against the cold, hard floor beneath me. I tried to stand, but something soft, something wrong, brushed against my fur. It was warm, wet. I pulled away, but I couldn't get far.

I stumbled and fell into a heap of fur and flesh. The smell hit me first—death. I yelped, trying to push away, but my paws slipped on the slick surface. Blood. It was everywhere, sticking to my fur, matting it down. I tried to howl, to cry for help, but my voice came out in a weak whimper, swallowed by the roar of the moving vehicle.

I pushed against the walls, desperate to find a way out, my claws scraping against the metal, but the vehicle just kept going. No one was coming. No one was stopping. The world outside was speeding past, and I was trapped inside with the dead.

Sigh. Enough panicking.

I sat down, trying to calm myself.

"How did I end up here?"

The last thing I remembered was dangling in front of the hunters, and the female of them had approached me, smiling. Soon after, my memories cut off.

Had she tranquilized me or something?

This place was most certainly a carriage for transporting their hunts, which meant I was covered in blood. Not the first time, but still gross. At least I wasn't a corpse, so there was that.

But I was still hungry.

A weird thought crossed my mind. I gulped.

"No. No way I'm eating these…"

But why not? Wasn't I a wolf now? What was the problem? I didn't know; it just felt wrong. Besides, I wouldn't know what I was eating in such darkness, and there was a chance I could damage something valuable for the hunters, which could put me in more trouble.

I decided to wait.

Not long after, the carriage jerked to a stop, throwing me against the cold, hard wall.

Yelp

I heard footsteps, muffled voices. The door creaked open, letting in the pale light of early morning. A figure loomed over me, blocking out the sky. The same female hunter.

"Herald, I'm taking the black one to my house. You both take care of the rest."

She reached in, her hand rough and calloused, and grabbed me by the scruff of my neck. I snapped and snarled, trying to twist free, but her grip was iron.

"You are too weak for a wolf cub. Have you not being eating well?"

She lifted me up to her eye level. She said something in her language with shining eyes. I tried to resist, but she was way stronger.

"Grrrr... is she really a woman?"

She dragged me out, and the world spun around me. The stench of death lingered in my fur, but now there was the fresh scent of earth, water, and firewood.

A village came into view as she carried me across a dirt path. It was small and rough, nestled along a wide, slow-moving creek. The water shimmered in the light, babbling softly as it wound between large rocks and gnarled tree roots.

Around the creek, wooden huts stood haphazardly, their roofs patched with straw and hides. Smoke curled from the chimneys, the air thick with the smell of cooked meat and wet fur. More hunters moved about—some sharpening blades, others skinning carcasses or tending to drying racks strung with pelts.

Two men from before were unloading the lifeless bodies of other animals, tossing them carelessly into the mud, while others shouted orders.

Children ran barefoot along the creek's edge, their laughter jarring against the grim work of their parents. Dogs barked from the edges of the village, their eyes tracking every movement, but none came close. The whole place felt tense, buzzing with the energy of the hunt, of survival.

A tribe of hunters and gatherers? Oh well it's good to see that this world has humans too.

She pulled me toward a house, a squat building of timber and stone, its windows covered with thick animal hides. I kicked and bit, but she didn't flinch. Her grip was steady as she pushed through the door and hauled me inside. I was thrown onto the floor. I bolted upright, immediately taking a defensive stance, but she just waved her hand in front of me, and my eyes grew dark, my body weak.

Was this some sort of magic?

After an unknown amount of time, I stirred from my sleep, my nose twitching at the enticing scent of cooked meat—something unfamiliar yet irresistible. My fur ruffled gently as soft caresses woke me further, and my eyes fluttered open in surprise, blinking against the sunlight filtering through the trees.

Confusion coursed through me as I took in my surroundings. I wasn't covered in blood any longer neither I was smelly. Someone has bathed me while I was unconscious. We were in some kind of barn. Hay and staw spread around the floor. My neck was tied up with a to a hook in the wall.

But the most surprising thing was, beside me, Cub A ate eagerly, its jaws working through the tender meal.

Relief.

If I could I would have hugged him.

But I quickly collected my thoughts

I hesitated, wary of what I didn't understand. My gaze shifted upward to a woman, now that I see her properly, she is quite charming in appearance, her presence calm and gentle. A complete 180 from last time. She held a plate filled with food and looked down at me with warmth.

"Go on. What are you waiting for...Your little friend is already eating."

She extended her hand, petting my fur softly, her touch soothing the unease that lingered. My instincts tugged at me to be cautious, but the allure of the food and the comfort of her hand won over. Slowly, I inched forward, my nose sniffing at the plate, and after a moment's hesitation, I began to eat, my wariness melting away under the woman's gentle care.

Her hands weren't soft, but her touches were. And she was smiling. I knew what was going on.

A small wolf like me wasn't profitable enough dead. It was better to let me grow before they killed me.

That meant I had some time. Might as well enjoy this delicious food as I waited for my end day.

I kept eating until the plate was empty. It was delici
ous. Finally I felt at ease since that morning.

[Consumed deer flesh: +15 energy]

Chapter 6: Fetch New
With a strong swing of her arm, the female hunter, whose name I now know is Yvonne, threw a wooden stick far toward the trees. The stick spun through the air, a fleeting shadow against the dusky sky before disappearing into the underbrush with a soft thud.

She then turned her gaze toward me, her sharp, storm-gray eyes meeting mine. I felt the weight of her expectation, though her expression remained calm, almost unreadable.

What did she want from me?

Oh, I knew all too well.

With a quick bound, my paws touched the soft, damp earth, and I sped off toward the trees. The wind rushed past me, carrying the faint scents of the forest—moss, pine, and distant rain. My ears twitched, instinct guiding me to the stick's location.

I found it half-buried beneath a patch of ferns and clamped it between my jaws. My small legs carried me back to Yvonne, the stick held high like a trophy. Dropping it at her feet, I waited, chest heaving from the short burst of effort.

[Ran 10 meters + 1 stamina]

For those who don't know, this Yvonne person has decided to keep me as a pet.
Me, a wolf.
But since she gives me free food and shelter, I don't really mind.

Yvonne's lips curled ever so slightly, a hint of approval. She crouched to meet my eyes, her hand resting gently atop my head. The warmth of her touch stirred something in me, a feeling of recognition, perhaps even trust.

"You learn quickly," she murmured, her voice low, almost to herself.

These days, Yvonne had been playing with me like this, tossing sticks and encouraging me to fetch them. At first, it felt like humiliation to have to do this for free food.

After all, I wasn't a dog—not that I dislike dogs, mind you!

At first, I wanted to protest, but she waved her hand in front of me again, making my resolve dwindle.

It's definitely magic. In her hand, there is a Ruby ring. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Unable to defy her, I played along half-heartedly at first, but soon after, my stats began increasing steadily; my agility, my strength—everything was sharpening with every run and every retrieve.
Stats which I can't see for some reason, but can definitely feel changing.

It became clear that Yvonne had decided to keep me as her hunting hound of sorts. Hunters' pets aren't merely there to look cute and eat; they have a purpose.

Maybe she had similar plans for me. Having to fetch the dead birds she shoots down doesn't sound all too appealing to me.
But alone, I couldn't find a single thing to eat on my own.
I am waiting to grow up soon.

As I ran back to her with the stick once more, my mind raced with thoughts of what I might become under her tutelage.

I dropped the stick at her feet again, waiting for her next command.

Time passed as we played, but Yvonne was out of it for almost the entire time.
She was lost in deep thoughts of something.

As the sun had begun its slow descent, casting long shadows across the forest floor, and as the sky deepened into twilight, Yvonne's footsteps became more measured.

Her once confident stride had faltered, weighed down by the gravity of the day's events. She had been quieter than usual, her thoughts distant as we made our way back to the village, me the small wolf cub at her side, and I could sense something was wrong. Her usual sharpness, the playful glint in her eye when she tossed the stick for me to fetch, had dulled. She seemed lost in her own mind, troubled by something beyond my understanding.

"Let's go home now," Yvonne said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Her eyes, usually so fierce, carried a sorrow I couldn't comprehend.

Today had been a strange day for her and her fellow hunters. I had watched them that morning as they gathered in a group of five, their faces serious as they set off on some task, leaving the village in a tense silence.

Now, as we followed the winding path home, we encountered them on their way back, their expressions grim and heavy with the weight of whatever burden they carried. The wooden carriage they rode in creaked to a stop, and without a word, they motioned for Yvonne and me to join them. I leapt into the carriage alongside her, nestling by her side as the horses resumed their steady pace.

There was silence for a good while. I didn't growl, though I wanted to, since Yvonne was suffocating me on her lap.

The air inside the carriage was thick with tension. Soon they began conversing in their rough, guttural language, one that I didn't know a word of. But I could hear the edge in their voices, the worry that seemed to cling to every word.

"No, they aren't letting up," one of the dagger-wielding men from before said, his tone frustrated and anxious. "They insist that the weekly quota has to go up four times, no matter what. There's high demand due to the ongoing war."

"They said they need leather and food, and it's for the kingdom," another added, his voice hard. "But they were not polite about it—almost threatening."

"If we don't meet the quota," another hunter chimed in, his voice thick with worry, "our hunting license will be revoked. We'll lose everything—our land, our homes, our rights to the forest."

Yvonne, sitting in the corner, crossed her arms, her face set in a hard line. "It's not right. We've done our part, and more. The forest can't keep up with this level of hunting. We're already seeing the game dwindle. If they push us harder, we'll break the balance."

"They don't care," another hunter said bitterly. "All they see is what they can take. And if we don't give it to them, they'll send the mages. They'll mass hunt, and that'll ruin everything—far worse than anything we could do."

Yvonne shook her head, frustration simmering just beneath the surface. "Maybe that's what they want. The mages have always eyed this forest, looking for an excuse to get in. It was supposed to be our tribe's forest, protected by our laws. Now they want to change the rules, to take it from us."

"To hell with that new princess," another hunter growled. "Before her coronation, the king protected the forests. He cared for the land, respected the tribes. Now, with her on the throne, all she cares about is feeding the war machine. She doesn't see the lives she's destroying."

Yvonne's fists clenched, her knuckles pale in the dim light of the carriage. "It's not just about us. This forest is our home, but it's also alive. We can't let them tear it apart for the sake of greed. For the sake of our goddess Elara, we have to protect this forest no matter what."

I couldn't understand their words, but I could feel the urgency in their voices. It was clear that something serious was happening. I pressed closer to Yvonne, sensing her worry.

My head hit something soft as it sank further back.

The conversation quieted for a moment, the hunters looking at one another, faces drawn with the weight of their dilemma.

Yvonne's gentle caresses on my fur roughened for a bit as her tension took over her cognition.

"There's only one way to save this forest," Yvonne said, her voice clear and resolute, cutting through the lingering tension. "We have to complete the quota, no matter what. Let's go on a week-long hunting expedition. We'll take as many people as we can, set out at dawn, and cover as much ground as possible. We have the treaty with the king as long as we do the quota; they can't send outsiders to hunt."

The others nodded, though some faces remained troubled. One of them, a tall man with a scar running down his cheek, asked, "If we hunt four times as much, doesn't that defeat the purpose of saving the forest?"

Yvonne didn't hesitate. "We'll need to bring back at least forty large beasts and eighty small ones. That's the bare minimum to satisfy the guild and keep the mages out of the forest. It's no joke, and we'll have to cover the entire forest with traps if we want to meet the quota."

"That's a lot," another hunter murmured, running a hand through his hair. "But you're right. If we don't act now, it's over for us. We will be kinder than the mages, at least, who will likely burn the whole forest to drive out each and every one of the beasts."

"I'll scout the eastern ridge," one of the younger hunters volunteered. "There's always game there if you know where to look. We can set snares and get a good number of rabbits by the end of the first day. They fulfill the small category, don't they?"

Yvonne nodded approvingly. "Yes. I'll lead the group into the deeper woods. There's a clearing I know where the deer gather at dawn. We'll set up strategically, so we don't waste any time."

"We'll all need to rest tonight," another hunter said, his voice calmer now, resigned to the task ahead. "It's going to be a grueling week, and we'll need our strength."

The carriage rolled to a stop as we reached the edge of the village. The hunters began to disembark, their faces still etched with the tension of what was to come. Yvonne and I stayed behind for a moment, the quiet settling between us as the others prepared to return to their homes for the night.

I nestled against her side, feeling the warmth of her presence, though the air around us was thick with worry.

As Yvonne rose to leave, she looked down at me, her hand resting on my head. "Tomorrow, we start something big," she murmured, her voice soft, but firm. "Get some rest, little one. We're going to need every bit of help we can get."

She took me back to the barn where I saw Cub A still asleep. He was curled up tightly in a ball and covered with a thick blanket.

Apparently, he is sick. He vomits and has a fever. Yvonne did give him some green liquid, but it didn't seem to have worked.

I touched my forehead to his to check his temperature.

It was still too hot.

Get well soon, my brother in species!

Chapter 7: Expenditure New
The next morning, the village buzzed with activity, a hive of motion and purpose. Hunters hurried about, securing weapons and tools, while others gathered supplies—bundles of dried meat, ropes, and flasks of water strapped to their belts. The blacksmith's forge glowed with heat as last-minute repairs were made to bows and traps, the clanging of metal filling the crisp air.

Something was going on.

Families gathered in small clusters, offering quiet words to their loved ones, their faces etched with a mixture of worry and hope. Horses were being saddled, and large carts filled with provisions stood ready near the village's edge. Some hunters checked their arrows, running fingers along the shafts to ensure they were sharp, while others helped tie bundles of gear to pack animals. Even the children watched from the sidelines, eyes wide with curiosity and fear as the entire village prepared for something.

I guess it has something to do with the conversation they had yesterday. Are they shifting their dwelling? Or perhaps it's a festival.

The forest, looming just beyond the village, seemed darker than usual. As the hunters gathered near the edge of the village, their faces determined, Yvonne stood at the center, her voice rising above the murmur of preparations.

"We all know why we're here," she began, her gaze sweeping over the crowd. "This isn't just a hunt. This is about survival—for us, for our families, and for the forest. We need to work together, cover as much ground as possible, and meet the quota. Failure is not an option."

A grizzled older hunter, his hand resting on the hilt of a well-worn dagger, nodded. "We've faced worse. Remember the drought a few summers back? We made it through that, and we'll make it through this. Stick together, stay sharp, and we'll get what we need."

Yvonne raised her hand, signaling for the hunters to gather closer. "We'll split into three groups. The first will head toward the eastern ridge—there's plenty of small game there. The second group will sweep the southern woods for deer, and the third will take the high ground in the north. If we move fast and set traps efficiently, we'll make it."

Another hunter, younger but hardened by years of experience, spoke up. "The traps need to be set before dusk. We'll lose time if we wait until nightfall. Everyone needs to keep pace—no stragglers."

Yvonne nodded. "Exactly. If anyone encounters trouble, send a signal. We're in this together. And remember, the forest is with us—we know it better than anyone. Use it to your advantage."

I was sitting quietly in one corner, wondering what all this fuss was about.

"Nero!" Yvonne called out. Nero is what she calls me. Can't say I like it, but it's better than being nameless.

As I walked toward her, she grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and shoved me inside one of the carriages.

Apparently, I'm going with them. Wherever they're going.

Before we set off, an elder from the village, her hands worn from years of work, stepped forward, her voice quiet but firm. "May the forest guide your steps and bring you what you need. Trust in the old ways, and it will provide. You carry not just your weapons, but the hopes of all of us."

The hunters murmured their assent, their spirits lifting. Yvonne, standing tall, looked at them one last time. "Let's show them what we're made of. For the village. For the forest."

Soon after, the carriages moved forward in unison, heading straight into the forest. The forest greeted us with its familiar silence, a vast expanse of trees stretching into the misty distance. The canopy above filtered the pale morning light. The scent of pine, damp earth, and the sharp tang of cold air filled my nose as we moved deeper into the woods.

Yvonne led our group with quiet confidence, her hand steady on the hilt of her bow, while the others fanned out, their eyes scanning the surroundings for movement. Despite the calm, there was a charged tension in the air, the weight of the task ahead pressing down on us all. The other two groups separated from us, taking other directions as we continued moving straight.

After we reached a particular designated spot—a thickly wooded area where the underbrush grew wild and tangled—Yvonne raised her hand to signal a halt. The group of hunters around us began to spread out in practiced silence, each moving with the ease of years spent in these woods.

So, we're here to hunt? Not surprising.

"This is it," Yvonne murmured, crouching low beside a large oak. "Set the traps along the clearing. The game trails should be active here."

I padded silently by her side, watching as the hunters moved swiftly, laying out snares and traps with practiced hands. The steel gleamed faintly in the low light as it was carefully hidden beneath leaves and twigs, set to spring with lethal precision. Despite the grim task, there was a strange beauty to the coordination of it all—each hunter working with quiet efficiency, their movements almost a dance as they prepared to outsmart their prey.

A low voice from one of the hunters, Erik, cut through the stillness. "Tracks," he said, pointing to a patch of disturbed earth near a thicket. "Horned deer, and fresh. Not more than a few hours old."

Yvonne's eyes narrowed as she surveyed the tracks. "Good. They're close. Spread out, but stay within earshot. We don't want to spook them too soon."

As the hunters moved into position, the forest around us seemed to grow quieter, as if holding its breath. The only sounds were the soft rustle of leaves and the distant calls of birds overhead. The tension was thick, each of us waiting, listening, alert to the faintest hint of movement.

To the east, another group of hunters had already begun to set their snares for rabbits and smaller game. I could hear faint murmurs drifting through the trees as they discussed their strategy. "Set them closer to the rockface," one of the hunters, Mira, suggested. "Rabbits like to burrow near there. We can catch a dozen if we're quick."

The younger hunter from earlier, Garen, crouched beside a patch of dense foliage. "I've seen them scatter this way before. We'll set up a net trap. That should cover the escape routes."

In the northern high ground, the third group was climbing toward the cliffs where goats and larger game could sometimes be found. Their voices carried faintly on the breeze. "Watch your footing," one of the veterans called. "The rocks are slick, and we don't want anyone getting hurt before the hunt begins."

As the preparations continued, the forest seemed to close in around us, the heavy silence broken only by the occasional rustle of leaves or the snap of a twig. The world beyond the trees felt distant.

Yvonne knelt beside me, her hand resting gently on my head as she whispered, "Stay close to me. The game's about to begin."

Suddenly, a soft rustle came from deeper in the forest. The hunters froze, eyes snapping toward the sound. A doe, or something similar to it, stepped cautiously into the clearing, her head raised as she sniffed the air. For a moment, time seemed to stop. Yvonne's hand tightened on her bow, but she didn't move.

"Wait for it," she breathed.

The doe took a hesitant step forward, unaware of the danger that surrounded her. The traps were set, the hunters in place, and the forest watched in silence. This was the delicate balance of survival, the moment when predator and prey came face to face, and the line between life and death blurred.

"Now," Yvonne whispered, and with a quick, fluid motion, she let her arrow fly.

The arrow struck true, the soft thud of its impact barely audible. The doe stumbled, then fell silently to the ground. The other hunters quickly moved in, securing the kill while Yvonne remained still, her eyes scanning the treeline for any sign of more movement.

"One down," she said, her voice calm but filled with a quiet intensity. "We've got a long way to go."

As they dragged the doe to the side, I felt the pulse of the forest quicken around us. This was just the beginning. The sun climbed higher in the sky, casting shadows that danced across the forest floor.

But as the hours passed, Yvonne's frustration grew. She began being loud and grumpy. The forest was vast, and while the traps were working, the progress felt too slow.

Maybe they're in dire need of some cash. That would explain a lot of things.

With a sharp decision, she whistled softly, and a nearby hunter brought her horse.

"Stay here and keep setting traps. I'll head toward the tall grasses alone—there's more game there," Yvonne said, her voice firm but urgent.

Before anyone could protest, she mounted her horse and spurred it forward. For some mysterious reason—or perhaps her magic—I immediately sprinted after her, my paws beating against the forest floor as I raced to keep up.

The wind rushed past us, and the trees blurred into a sea of blue as Yvonne pushed the horse toward the meadow beyond the treeline. Her determined gaze never wavered as we approached the wide field of tall grasses, where animals often grazed.

Suddenly, Yvonne pulled the reins, bringing the horse to a stop. I also halted myself. My stamina had hiked enough that I wasn't huffing

Still on top of the horse, swiftly she scanned the grasses. Her sharp eyes caught movement—a flash of fur near a distant patch of bushes. Without hesitation, she drew her bow, the string pulling tight as she aimed.

I watched, her form. Enchanting. She exhaled slowly, her muscles tense with focus, and then, with a sharp twang, the arrow flew.

Immediately a loud squeak followed.

I stayed still wondering wha she caught.

"Nero!" She called me her eyes commanding.

Ah right So it's like this.

I darted forward, sprinting towards the bushes where the arrow had disappeared. My legs burned with the effort. My nose detected a faint smell of blood.

[Ran 50 meters + 5 stamina]

As I reached the spot, expecting to find her prey lying still, I came to a sudden stop. What I saw wasn't what I expected. The arrow had pierced through the ear of a similar pink rabbit I had seen not long ago, pinning it to a low-hanging branch of a tree. The poor creature dangled helplessly, its body trembling in fear but very much alive.

Its soft brown fur quivered with every breath, its wide eyes filled with panic. The arrow had grazed it perfectly, trapping it without killing it. I barked softly, alerting Yvonne, who c
ame rushing to the scene.

"Still alive, huh?" I muttered "That's some luck."

Now what? Should I kill it?

Chapter 8: Killing and Leveling New
I moved closer, my eyes studying the trembling rabbit. Its cotton candy-like fur, so delicate and soft, didn't seem like the coat of a creature capable of harm. But something in its eyes unsettled me—a flicker of anger, of desperation.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure. I had killed before, but only when I needed to. This didn't feel necessary. But as I nudged the arrow loose with my jaw, releasing the rabbit from its prison, something changed.

Without warning, the rabbit lunged at me, teeth bared and claws extended. The sudden ferocity caught me off guard, and I stumbled back, feeling its sharp claws rake across my side.

Pain flared, but more than that, rage.

I had spared it!

Snarling, I lunged forward, all hesitation gone. The fight was brief and brutal. In a matter of moments, I had the rabbit pinned beneath me, its struggle weakening with each breath.

As its life faded, I couldn't shake the bitter regret. I couldn't blame the rabbit for attacking in fright; I couldn't blame myself for responding to it.

---

[System Alert]

---

[You killed: Albino Rabbit +8 XP]

Loot Acquired:

- [Albino Rabbit Fur]
- [Small Rabbit Meat]

---

[Quest Complete: Hidden Quest - First Kill]
+10 XP

Reward:

- [Passive Skill: Guide] (Multifunctional)

---

[Level Up!]
Congratulations, you've reached Level 2!

Rewards:

- +1 Active Skill Slot
- +5 Stat Points (Distribute freely)
- +10 HP Capacity Increase

---

[Level Up!]
Congratulations, you've reached Level 3!

Rewards:

- +1 Active Skill Slot
- +10 Energy Capacity

---

[Skill Selection Available]
Please select 2 skills from the following Lvl 1 skills:

1. Quick Strike
Description: A swift attack that deals 150% damage.
Cooldown: 1 second
Cost: 5 Energy

2. Healing Touch
Description: Restores 10% of your HP over 5 seconds.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Cost: 20 Energy

3. Evasive Roll
Description: Perform a quick roll to evade an incoming attack, increasing dodge chance by 50% for 2 seconds.
Cooldown: 5 seconds
Cost: 5 Energy

4. Power Tackle
Description: A powerful tackle that deals 200% damage.
Cooldown: 8 seconds
Cost: 10 Energy

5. Berserk
Description: Increases attack speed by 30% for 10 seconds.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Cost: 30 Energy

---

"..."

I stared at the system for a good while. This was the first time I received more than just a notification.

"So killing something was the first step for progress. If only I knew beforehand."

I looked at the corpse of the rabbit, it's pink fur now brownish due to blood. So I killed it, though unintentionally, and leveled up twice.

I received a few rewards as well. A passive skill and two Active skills.

I smiled somewhat intrigued.

My eyes hovered over the skill selection screen. Each option had its advantages, but I knew I had to be careful. The choices I made now could define my path moving forward. If possible I wanted to take a decision later after putting some more thought into it. But I didn't know if that was possible.

Quick Strike was tempting—speed and power combined into one efficient move. I could imagine it being useful in tight situations where every second mattered. Then there was Healing Touch, a skill that could keep me alive in the heat of battle. The idea of being able to mend myself without needing outside help was appealing. But would I have the time to use it in the middle of a fight?

I glanced at Evasive Roll. Dodging incoming attacks would be a lifesaver, especially if I found myself up against something bigger and stronger, which seemed more than likely given the forest's looming threats. Power Tackle, on the other hand, was raw power—a devastating hit, perfect for a finishing blow. And then there was Berserk, a high-risk, high-reward option that could turn me into a whirlwind of destruction, albeit briefly.

1 healing type, 3 offensive types and 1 defensive type.

Since I could only choose 2 I had to compromise on one aspect.

The forest seemed to hold its breath as I pondered my choice. The sounds of the hunt had faded into the background, my focus completely absorbed by the system's display in front of me. Yvonne was still shooting arrows around the fields forgotten about me in her hunting endeavours.

---

[Skill Selection Available] Please select 2 skills from the following Lvl 1 skills:

1. Quick Strike

2. Healing Touch

3. Evasive Roll

4. Power Tackle

5. Berserk

---

In the end, I settled on Quick Strike and Evasive Roll. They seemed like the most balanced options for someone like me—someone who wasn't a hunter, but needed to be fast, adaptable. The screen flickered for a moment before the system confirmed my selections.

Healing was something my body would do on its own as well. And maybe I could find about herbs or medicines in later stages.

Compromising attack and defence was a foolish mistake I wasn't ready to make.

For attack, I chose quick strike since it costed the lowest amount of energy. Meaning I could use it many times before dropping dead.

---

[Skills Acquired: Quick Strike, Evasive Roll]

---

I took the rabbit's corpse in my jaws and dashed back to Yvonne, completing my task.

"Good work, Nero," she finally said, her tone neutral but laced with a faint hint of approval.

Yvonne continued firing arrows as the light began to fade, her focus unbroken. By the time the sky dimmed, we had hunted several other small creatures, including a feathered Red Bird of some sorts and a white fox.

"Let's head back now." Her words lingered in the cool evening air as we made our way back to the main group, the rabbit's limp body, along with others, now fastened securely to her saddle. The hunt was far from over, but with my new skills and a strange energy pulsing within me, I felt... more confident.

Whatever awaited us in this forest, I was no longer just a passive observer.

---

By the time the sun began to set, we had regrouped with the others. The day had been long, marked by tense silences, bursts of action, and careful planning. Several traps had already proven effective, while others would reveal their value during the night, when the forest came alive in the darkness.

Yvonne's gaze drifted, her thoughts distant, troubled. I knew better than to ask, so I settled quietly in my spot in their carriage.

As the evening wore on, the hunters pulled out the preserved meat they had brought with them—no fire was lit, to avoid disturbing the creatures of the forest. They shared some with me, placing the strips of dried flesh near my muzzle, and I ate quietly, savoring the meal.

But my thoughts kept returning to the system's notifications: the kill, the level-up, the new skills. It all felt thrilling, though I hadn't yet attempted to use any of the abilities I had unlocked. I was waiting for the right moment, the perfect opportunity to see what I was truly capable of.

Time passed, but no one slept. Every ear was tuned to the faintest sound, every breath held in suspense. The air was heavy with tension, and only the softest whispers and occasional gasps could be heard. The forest was cloaked in darkness, broken only by small lanterns nailed to trees with arrows or daggers, casting faint pools of light.

Normally, the hunters would sleep through the night and check their traps in the morning. But tonight, they were restless, either out of caution or perhaps a touch of desperation.

I overheard Yvonne and the others murmuring softly.

"This isn't the usual behavior for the animals around here," one of the hunters whispered. "Something's stirring them up."

Yvonne nodded, her brow furrowed. "We've never set so many traps before. We're drawing too much attention. But we are also helpless, we have to meet the quota."

"Still, this scale of a hunt… it feels like overkill," another added.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed. What language were they even speaking? And how long would it take for me to learn it? I still couldn't understand a single word.

"Damn, there should've been a translation skill in the selection," I muttered to myself. "I would've picked that just to figure out what the hell this huge hunting operation is all about."

Suddenly, a voice echoed in my mind, softer and more feminine than the usual system notifications.

[Initiating Guide... Translating in world language...]

"Huh? What...?"

It took a moment, but soon their words became clear, as if they were speaking in my own tongue.

"You think it's just the animals reacting?" one hunter whispered. "I'm telling you, it's not natural."

Yvonne's voice was sharper now. "Whether it's natural or not, we have a job to do. The traps are set. All we can do is wait."

My ears perked up. What was this all about? That voice had said, "Initializing Guide," right? Wasn't that the name of one of my passive skills?

So, it was like this…

"Um... Guide?" I hesitantly called out, wondering if my guess was right.

[That's me. What's your command?] the voice responded calmly, ready and waiting.

From the moment I arrived in this world, I wondered why my system didn't talk to me like the ones I had read about. Well, now I had a perfect alternative.

"So, Guide, you're my passive skill, right? The one I got after completing that hidden quest? Do you have any other uses?"

[Indeed. I can perform various functions like appraisal, operating the system in your stead, and even enemy analysis. My abilities will grow as you level me up.]

Yeah that's what I needed. I got the feeling that this passive skill will prove out to be more useful than the active ones I selected.

"Oh, interesting. So how many languages do you know?"

[Just one, called the world language. Everything I translate for you will be in that.]

"Well, that's convenient… I guess." I thought for a moment before asking, "Can you tell me how I ended up in this world? Was it some bored god or something? Who created you?"

[That's a mystery. I have no information on this context. Perhaps this information will unlock when you level up.]

"Of course," I muttered. "Always with the leveling."

"HOOOOWWLLLLLLL!!"

Suddenly, the whole group jolted reflexively as the air was filled with the deafening howl of coming from an unknown direction. The sound was so sharp it made my ears ring.

"Oh no," I said, my body tensing. "That howl sounds way too familiar."

Last edited:
Chapter 9: Morrigan New
Suddenly, a piercing howl split the air. The whole hunting group jolted upright. Weapons were grabbed in haste—bows were strung, daggers unsheathed, hands trembling in the dim light as they fumbled in the dark. Panic spread as more howls followed, reverberating from every direction, surrounding us.

"This isn't good," someone muttered, the tension thick in the air.

"Wolves," another hissed, gripping his sword tightly.

Yvonne's voice cut through the whispers. "Everyone, stay alert. They're closing in fast."

That howl… it sounded far too familiar to me. My muscles tensed as I strained to see through the darkness. More howls rang out, louder and closer, making it impossible to pinpoint where they were coming from.

Yvonne, always quick to act, rushed to light an emergency fire. I barely saw the spark before a large grey wolf lunged at her from the shadows. She managed to ignite the fire just before the beast knocked her down. With a swift motion, Yvonne drove her dagger into the wolf's side, shoving it off her as it snarled and thrashed. But before anyone could react, more wolves were upon us, attacking in a terrifying wave.

"They're everywhere!" one hunter screamed, swinging wildly at a pair of glowing eyes lunging toward him.

"Hold the line! Don't panic!" Yvonne yelled, but her voice was almost drowned out by the chaos.

"They're too fast!" another cried out as he was forced to the ground, his bow clattering away as he fought to shove a snarling wolf off his chest.

These weren't ordinary wolves. Their eyes were rolled back, milky white, and their movements were unnatural, almost mechanical. The hunters, despite their experience, had never seen attacks like these. The wolves moved with an eerie precision, as if they weren't truly alive.

Meanwhile, my Guide skill kept feeding me information—target analysis, threat levels, win rates—but it all blurred together. None of it made sense in the heat of the moment. My mind was elsewhere. I could barely process the details, my attention frozen on two wolves that stood out from the rest.

You are kidding.

I stared in horror, unable to move. Alpha and Beta. They were my former packmates—wolves that once led me, fed me, protected me. And now, they were attacking the people I fought alongside. Yet, strangely, none of them turned their fangs on me. They acted like I wasn't even there.

Screams cut through the night as the first hunter fell. Blood pooled around his body as another was dragged into the shadows by a wolf, his cries for help silenced in an instant. The panic escalated as Yvonne, desperately firing arrows, released one that struck Alpha as it lunged for her throat. The arrow hit its mark, and the massive wolf crumpled, dead.

My heart sank. I stared at Alpha's body, confusion and grief swirling inside me. This was the creature that had once led my pack, my family. It had fed me, protected me—and now, Yvonne, my new comrade, had killed it. The two sides of my life collided in a way I couldn't comprehend.

Then Beta, charged at another hunter, only to be driven back by a dagger that pierced her side. She fell soon after, her body lifeless on the ground.

Now way.

I was frozen. My body refused to respond, as if disconnected from my mind. It wasn't just the horror of seeing my old packmates killed, but something else, something unnatural. My legs wouldn't move, my muscles wouldn't obey. It was as if some invisible force had locked me in place.

Around me, the chaos continued, but I stood there, motionless. My past and present colliding, and I didn't know where I belonged.

Suddenly, a faint feminine laugh drifted through the air, so soft it almost blended with the wind. But as it grew closer, it sent chills down my spine. The sound of rustling grass followed, growing louder as if something—no, someone—approached us from the shadows.

A column of light erupted from the edge of the clearing, bathing the scene in an eerie, otherworldly glow. My eyes instinctively snapped in that direction, and what I saw sent a jolt of recognition through me.

A massive grey wolf, twice the size of any we had faced, emerged from the darkness. Its eyes, too, were rolled back, just like the others. But this one was different—its presence alone was overwhelming, radiating power and malice. It moved slowly, each step deliberate, and every hunter around me froze in place, their faces drained of color.

Yvonne's hand faltered on her bow, her eyes widening in disbelief. One of the hunters gasped, taking an involuntary step back, while another gripped his weapon so tightly his knuckles turned white. The air was thick with terror, a stillness that swallowed us whole.

I recognized this wolf through the scary on it's face. It was the same one that had killed my siblings not long ago, a memory that sent a surge of anger and fear coursing through me.

And there, sitting atop its back, was her.

The laughter belonged to a woman—a figure who radiated darkness and danger. She was breathtaking, in a twisted, unnerving way. Her beauty was undeniable, though it felt wrong to admire it in the midst of the chaos. She wore scant clothing, a black, fabric that barely clung to her body, exposing pale, flawless shoulders. Intricate black runes wound around her arms, glowing faintly in time with the aura surrounding her.

Her long, dark hair cascaded down her back, the ends flickering like tendrils of shadow, and her eyes gleamed with a mischievous, almost playful malice. She carried herself like a predator who had cornered her prey, relishing the fear she provoked.

Hovering above her was an owl with an entirely black body and unnaturally bright, glowing eyes. It was the source of the sudden light, its eyes casting an ethereal glow that cut through the darkness. The owl's wings flapped in slow, graceful movements, almost as if it, too, was a part of the magic that radiated from her.

"What a view," she purred, her voice dripping with amusement as she gazed at us like we were nothing more than entertainment.

The group was paralyzed. No one moved, no one spoke. Yvonne's lips parted as if to say something, but no words came out. We all felt it—this woman wasn't just some ordinary threat. She was something far more dangerous.

[ Adversary: Grey Wolf
Threat Level: C
Win Rate: 0.1%]

[ Adversary: Unknown Tamer
Threat Level: A
Win Rate: Impossible]

Another stray notification flashed in my mind, but it barely registered. My eyes darted between the massive wolf and the woman who rode it, both exuding a power that suffocated the air around us. The tension was unbearable, the weight of the moment pressing down on all of us. Yvonne, locked in a desperate struggle with another wolf, glanced at the woman, her eyes wide with alarm and recognition.

"You!" Yvonne spat, her voice raw with rage and fear. "Morrigan! You bitch! Gods-damned! I should've known it was you behind this! The princess sent you, didn't she? Sent you to sabotage us? So, all this talk of quotas was just a lie? You want to steal our forest, take away our village's holy right to protect it?"

Morrigan's smirk widened, her aura growing darker and heavier, like a storm cloud about to burst. Her glowing eyes bore into Yvonne's with a chilling intensity.

"Village?" she repeated softly, her voice carrying a venomous mockery. "What village?"

That single sentence shattered Yvonne. Her face drained of color, and her body wavered as though the ground beneath her had given way.

"No... no, no, you didn't. You wouldn't dare..." Yvonne's voice cracked, disbelief laced with terror.

But Morrigan only smiled wider, her lips curling into a cruel grin. "Oh, come now, you naive little fools. You took all the strong men of the village for your noble hunting game, trusting in your goddess to protect what you left behind? And now you want to blame me?"

Her laughter burst forth, harsh and mocking, echoing through the clearing like a death knell. Yvonne collapsed to her knees, her dagger slipping from her hand as the horrible realization set in.

The village. Their homes. Their families.

Gone.

"What about Cub A?" My heart ached with dread.

Morrigan's laughter continued, the weight of it pressing down on all of us, her eyes gleaming with wicked delight as she reveled in our despair. The hunters, once fierce and determined, now stood paralyzed, their hearts sinking into the same abyss that had swallowed Yvonne whole.

The air was thick with the scent of doom, and all I could do was watch as the world crumbled around us.

Morrigan waved her hand lazily, and the giant wolf lowered itself, allowing her to dismount with an almost regal grace. Her bare feet touched the ground as if she commanded even the earth beneath her. Without a word, she gestured to the massive wolf, and it obeyed her silent command, lunging at the remaining hunters with savage precision. Screams filled the air as the beast tore into them, but Morrigan didn't even spare them a glance.

Her eyes were fixed on Yvonne.

As she approached, Yvonne, still on her knees, reached for her dagger, her rage burning through the shock. But as one of the wolves leapt at her, it fell limp in mid-air, Morrigan's magic casting it aside effortlessly. Yvonne's gaze flicked between the fallen beast and the approaching woman, her hatred palpable.

"You think this is over?" Yvonne snarled, her voice trembling with fury. She surged to her feet, dagger flashing as she aimed for Morrigan's throat.

But Morrigan didn't flinch. With a simple wave of her hand, she sent her owl forward. Its beak clamped around Yvonne's wrist just as the dagger arced toward Morrigan. Yvonne's eyes blinded by the owl' s bright eyes. The blade clattered to the ground as the beak sank into her flesh. Yvonne winced but didn't scream—her stubborn defiance remained, even as the owl released her now-bleeding hand.

"Always so predictable," Morrigan said calmly, her voice laced with amusement as she watched Yvonne struggle. "You thought you could actually win against me? How quaint."

Yvonne glared at her, gritting her teeth, her body trembling with both fury and pain. "I'd rather die fighting you than let you destroy everything I've sworn to protect."

Morrigan chuckled darkly. "Oh, I'm not here to destroy everything... I just want to buy some time for the princess."

Before Yvonne could react, Morrigan reached out and grabbed a fistful of her hair, jerking her head back. Yvonne's eyes, burning with rage, met Morrigan's cold, unfeeling stare. But something was wrong—Yvonne's body was going limp, her muscles refusing to respond. The owl's poison, working through her veins, was slowly paralyzing her.

Morrigan leaned in, her face inches from Yvonne's. "The fight is over, Yvonne. You've already lost."

Yvonne tried to respond, but her body betrayed her, the strength draining from her limbs. Morrigan's hand moved swiftly to Yvonne's finger, where that magical ruby ring was tightly held. With a cold smirk, she ripped the ring from Yvonne's hand, not caring for the skin that tore along with it.

The ruby glinted in Morrigan's hand, and she held it up, admiring its beauty before tucking it away. "Such a pretty thing," she murmured, almost to herself.

"You don't deserve to wear Goddess Elara's stone. Even if you are the one chosen by her"

Then she let Yvonne's limp body drop to the ground without a second thought, her victory complete.

"Don't worry, I don't want to anger her so I won't kill you. Better get concious before some beast eat you.."

The clearing was silent now, except for the low growl of Morrigan's massive wolf, its mouth still stained with the blood of my fallen comrades. Every hunter lay lifeless on the ground, their bodies torn apart, their weapons scattered uselessly around them. Morrigan stood alone, the last standing figure in the aftermath of the slaughter.

"I don't want the goddess waking up too soon," she murmured, her voice calm as she waved her hand. In response, the other wolves scattered, darting off into the dark forest to hunt.

"Kill anything you see. Then each other. Drain the forest's life energy by killing every living creature you can find."

The trees themselves seemed to shudder at their departure, as if the forest knew what was coming.

Then, her gaze locked on me.

"Now then," she said, her voice carrying a dark curiosity, "let's see what kind of beast you are."

Her steps were deliberate as she moved toward me, her eyes narrowing in thought. "I tried to tame you," she continued, her voice dropping to a murmur, "but your body wouldn't obey. It was my mind that was taking damage. That only happens when my target is... You're more intelligent than a mere wolf, aren't you? You understand exactly what I am talking about."

I tried to move, to fight, to run, but my body refused to respond. No matter how much fear or anger surged within me, I was frozen in place, powerless under the weight of her presence.

She reached me, her icy hands gripping my fur as she lifted me with ease. Her eyes bored into mine, cold and calculating, as she examined me with a disturbing fascination. She turned me over, her hands tracing along my body as if I were some kind of strange artifact to be studied. I could do nothing but endure it, my mind screaming for action, for vengeance, for anything—but my body was locked in place. I had lost everything once again, all because of her.

I will definitely give this bitch a horrible death.

"Hmmm... interesting," Morrigan muttered, a twisted smile playing on her lips. "You're coming straight into my collection."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back