• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Rules Question: Real World References

AlexiGrey

Getting sticky.
I vaguely remember a forum having rules about talking about real life people/religions/etc. I thought it was QQ but I don't see it in the rules list. I also know I have seen quests that draw on real world influences but I can't remember if I saw them on QQ. I was planning a quest and my idea will probably lightly draw on the in-universe equivalents to real world religions. I understand that poorly done real world references can go bad fast so I was wondering if there were any guidelines.

I vaguely remember a forum having rules about talking about real life people/religions/etc. I thought it was QQ but I don't see it in the rules list. I also know I have seen quests that draw on real world influences but I can't remember if I saw them on QQ. I was planning a quest and my idea will probably lightly draw on the in-universe equivalents to real world religions. I understand that poorly done real world references can go bad fast so I was wondering if there were any guidelines.

Taking inspiration from real world sources is fine, it's not against the rules. Try not to let your depictions shade over into revenge fantasies though.

You may be thinking of the Giant in the Playground forums; they have such a rule.

It's perhaps advisable that politics/religion debates here go in the Rants forum (since they have a marked inflammatory tendency), but there's plenty of them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back