• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Spambots

Nekraa

Nekraa
There is currently a growing number of spambots sending spam PMs to people.

spam said:
Hey, my name Sara, nice to meet you!). I look for some fun! If you want to see my nude cosplay click the link)
>> removed link >>
After registration find me by nick) - "DirtySara33"
It's free, waiting for you honey).

Don't click on the link. Report the spam PM.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to easily deal with this. Their numbers are growing faster than I can ban them.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to easily deal with this. Their numbers are growing faster than I can ban them.
Huh, so it wasn't just me. Not to mention the name is well....too random. How bad is it?

Conscript more mods?

You have to manually ban them? No "suspend new accounts" checkbox anywhere or something? That's seems unwise. One would think Xenforo took that into consideration when making platform.

It might be a function restricted to admins only, while Nekraa is only a Mod.
I see, well I wish Nerkaa good luck then...

Forgot to ask one last thing: Is a user safe if they click the link by mistake but didn't register?

I received an email from admin@questionablequesting.com about such a conversation but I can't find it in my profuile page. Is this because it's originator has already been banned?
It's possible, the link and the conversation has already been deleted on my side.

Bot and his conversation with me were kicked out. Kudos to Nekraa for speedy job. I imagine it must be a massive shitshow right now.

Last edited:
This is not what I wanted to wake up to this morning...
Gives a big hug to Megaolix

yeah, me got the spam too. My first thought is that someone here finally cracked, then I looked at the user join date : Today.

I reported the user. I forgot to report the spam PM before leaving the conversation.

Got the spam to but they got banned so all is well that ends well yeah?
Hope you manage to get to the root of this but I have no idea how myself since I presume IP banning doesn't work and going through and approving every new member yourself is unfeasible...

Hope you manage to get to the root of this but I have no idea how myself since I presume IP banning doesn't work and going through and approving every new member yourself is unfeasible...
I presume new accounts will get a new restriction to start a PM.

We've gone through the new accounts now - seems there were "only" a couple hundred or so new accounts.

I presume new accounts will get a new restriction to start a PM.
Yes, unfortunately. alethiophile has removed PM permissions from unconfirmed members (that is, users with 0 approved posts)
So it's another thing new users can't do until they've made any post which a mod then OK's. (They can thereafter have all the regular permissions and not need posts approved.)

I was wondering about it. Got an email about the QQ notification, but nothkng in my convo log to report ot block. Good to see it was already deal with.

Its been a while since I joined QQ. No captcha protection or did someone crack it? I know I have a hard enough times with those things legitimately.

The ability to ban IP's. So they can stab it in the source, instead of one by one, as the bots come marching in. And also a button that lets you punch people over the internet.
VPNs, dynamic IPs, and Botnets often make IP bans worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back