• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

[SRW/Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War/Code Geass] Northern Lights

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

This is a short story written mostly to add flavor to the PbP RPG that I am preparing to run. In...
Norther Lights: Epilogue
And now a short epilogue for a short story:

= = =

The duties of the Knights of the Round seemed to be in something of a transitory period. This was inevitable, so much as certain members of Britannian nobility may wish that everything would stay the same forever, the world is in a constant state of motion. Bismarck Waldstein would be the first Knight of One within a new era of warfare, where being a Knight meant a little bit more than it had in previous years.

Bismarck Waldstein pushed open the doors to the throne room and stepped inside. Bismarck was distinctive even among a group like the Rounds. For one thing, his left eye was sewn shut with golden string, and if you happen to see that this is otherwise then it would be wise to make peace with your maker. As to his clothing, the ornate white uniform of the Rounds marked him as one of the highest in the Britannian military, but in truth one might say that he was the highest authority within the military who answered to but a single person.

Charles zi Britannia. the 98th Emperor of the Holy Britannian Empire, who was seated on his throne at the end of the room. Alone, for once. How merciful. No need to play up for the court so that they could talk more privately.

Bismarck strode across the room and bent his knee before his Emperor and old friend.

"Hail your Majesty," he proclaimed.

Charles looked down upon Bismarck and nodded, silently commanding for him to rise. He considered the man before him, the recently ascended Knight of One, a reliable servant and follower of his ideals. Were there a man worthy of trusting the deepest secrets of his ambition to, it was this one without question.

Bismarck rose to his feet. "I have returned from the intelligence bureau, and there are two issues that require addressing: The Morgana's performance, and the attempted intrusion by a foreign power."

Morgana, the young Prince Schneizel's project. He was personally overseeing the development of a new technology, based on the unknown, little understood "Black Technology."

To Bismarck, the furor around the project amused him. The nobility and the military alike rankled at the idea, it ate away at Britannian pride not to have developed it themselves. Yet at the same time the notion that other nations might be more advanced in their research into such fields–why, it was truly shocking to them.

The news of Schneizel's endeavors to establish an in house mechanics division had impressed Charles, more so of how far it quickly advanced. It was for this reason alone the Emperor had even allowed it to continue. The news that some foreign power, possibly Belka, or even Yuktobania or Osea would be so bold as to spy or sabotage the effort had impressed him... but he had waited for Bismarck's arrival to hear his view of it.

"And what have you learned?" The white-haired and clean-shaven Emperor asked as he reclined in his seat, waiting for Bismarck's reply.

"I'll begin with the more vital matter: the foreign power that dared to attempt sabotage against us through force of arms." Bismarck's brow furrowed. "They appear to have been operating through a mercenary operation known as Rebell Yell LLC, a group made up almost entirely of Numbers. Unfortunately we may never know their client's true identity, at least through investigative means."

Unfortunate because they would be able to direct diplomatic pressure on the relevant nation. Bismarck was a mighty warrior, but if the diplomatic method did not work then there was a very good chance that war would break out in the near future. He was an odd soldier. He enjoyed fighting, but detested war. The reason was simple: Bismarck could comfortably guarantee his own survival, but not those beneath him.

Charles hummed. Number Mercenaries, not an uncommon thing. Conquered people with no land or country often attempt to reject their place in the world. They'll lie, cheat, steal, and murder in order to feel like they are part of something. It's only fitting that they would be so bold to strike at the very heart of Britannia.

Charles found that curious. "How were they able to penetrate so deeply into our territory?"-

Bismarck nodded. "A good question, one that I haven't an answer for yet. Our radar picket stations surrounding the area detected no aircraft, and they evaded air patrols covering that region. Combined with the engagement itself, it stands to reason that these mercenaries are highly trained and capable."

"And they were able to escape how?" Charles was pointed in the question.

Bismarck smirked, the Emperor knew well of his involvement. "They impressed me, your Majesty. In inferior machines and against someone they knew to be of higher caliber, they fought passionately and competently. They've done what only one other before could claim."

Charles lifted an eyebrow, and sat up in his throne. His gaze was locked directly onto Bismarck's sewn-shut eye. To hear such praise of mere Number Mercenaries from the new Knight of One intrigued the Emperor.

"You wish to face them on equal terms," Charles determined.

With a nod of confirmation, Bismarck continued. "I am not alone. The other Knights of the Round are quite eager to cross swords with this group. It is a rare thing for them to encounter enemy fighters of their caliber, people that they can go all out against."

"It is only natural. It has been a great long time since anything resembling a challenge has appeared before you," Charles said.

Bismarck smiled somewhat, something surprising to see of such a stoic man. "I was wondering if Her Majesty had gotten to you before I could in regards to the engagement. It appears that she did."

Were anyone else present, they would've been startled to see the Emperor break into a small chuckle. "She talked my ear off about it. If you'd heard it from her, you'd swear that she would rather still be out there."

And that made the equally stoic Bismarck break into a laugh as well. That woman was something else! "I am sure that Lady Marianne has informed you of this much already, then. Morgana exceeded our expectations tremendously. Its capabilities have persuaded even the more resistant of the Rounds, and I formally request that they be placed into extremely limited production, for our use until better technology is developed."

He gestured emphatically to denote his humble request. "Think of it as stress testing. If anyone can bring these machines to the limit, it will be us. Then our researchers will have much more valuable data to use as they develop the technology further."

Charles agreed. "The resources the Knightmare Frame program requires to construct further Morgana units will be allocated."

"Thank you, your Majesty," Bismarck said with genuine gratitude. "As for the mercenaries, how shall they be handled?"

Charles leaned forward some in his throne, when he heard the request from his Knight of One. "These number mercenaries, Knight of One, though they are out of our reach… keep an eye on them. Much like you, I have a curiosity that must be satisfied. For now, that will be all."

Bismarck nodded and bowed. "As you wish, your Majesty."

As his Knight of One turned and left, Charles reclined back in his throne. To defy Bismarck was to deny fate. The ability to overcome such unmovable forces was an admirable quality to have, even in his eyes.

= = =

There's more to come, trust me...

Back