• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sugestion to consolidate tags with same meaning

AnonymousMemberNO115

On and on we go.
Hello... moderators? admins? others?

When searching for Self Insert fic's i found that there are three different tags for it and that makes it quite annoying to search trough all of them as you essentially have to search three different times and this gets worse when you want to throw in even more tags/search criteria.

So i have a suggestion/request, could tags with the same meaning be consolidated into one tag? I can understand that it is likely not possible to do the same as on Ao3 where you can have clear tag hierarchies but i think it would help if tags could be consolidated where possible.

Here are some clear examples of tags that i found that have the exact same meaning in a basic review of the most popular tags:
  • "futa" & "futanari"
  • "dxd" & "high school dxd" & "highschool dxd"
  • "male mc" & "male protagonist"
  • "multi-crossover" & "multicross"
  • "self insert" & "self-insert" & "si (self insert)"
  • "sugestion" & "suggestion"

Here are also some less clear examples that could be a bit debatable on a case by case basis:
  • "lewd" & "lewds" ?
  • "magical girl" & "magical girls" ?
  • "fate" & "nasuverce" ?
  • "monster girl" & "monster girls" ?
  • "original" & "original setting" ?
  • "noncon" & "rape" ?
  • "active discussion makes the gm happy" & "active discussion makes the qm happy" ?

Anyway this is just a suggestion and i don't know the logistics behind the site of course but please think about it.

Hello... moderators? admins? others?

When searching for Self Insert fic's i found that there are three different tags for it and that makes it quite annoying to search trough all of them as you essentially have to search three different times and this gets worse when you want to throw in even more tags/search criteria.

So i have a suggestion/request, could tags with the same meaning be consolidated into one tag? I can understand that it is likely not possible to do the same as on Ao3 where you can have clear tag hierarchies but i think it would help if tags could be consolidated where possible.

Here are some clear examples of tags that i found that have the exact same meaning in a basic review of the most popular tags:
  • "futa" & "futanari"
  • "dxd" & "high school dxd" & "highschool dxd"
  • "male mc" & "male protagonist"
  • "multi-crossover" & "multicross"
  • "self insert" & "self-insert" & "si (self insert)"
  • "sugestion" & "suggestion"

Here are also some less clear examples that could be a bit debatable on a case by case basis:
  • "lewd" & "lewds" ?
  • "magical girl" & "magical girls" ?
  • "fate" & "nasuverce" ?
  • "monster girl" & "monster girls" ?
  • "original" & "original setting" ?
  • "noncon" & "rape" ?
  • "active discussion makes the gm happy" & "active discussion makes the qm happy" ?

Anyway this is just a suggestion and i don't know the logistics behind the site of course but please think about it.
Tags on QQ aren't a curated thing, the author of a story can just put whatever they want in that field. I'd imagine the staff are able to edit them, but that's on a thread by thread basis not a central repository that they can interlink meanings on.

Tags on QQ aren't a curated thing, the author of a story can just put whatever they want in that field. I'd imagine the staff are able to edit them, but that's on a thread by thread basis not a central repository that they can interlink meanings on.

Well that depends on how the database is setup and in how far they can access it, if they are able to do some find and replace executions on all the tags while at the same time making sure that this does not lead to duplicate tags than it should be possible, i have done database operations like these before so in principle i think it should be possible.

Well once more it all depends on how it is setup, what access they have and how important vs the hassle they find my suggestion.

Still to illustrate, lets say that for instance you would want to find all stories with a Self insert (3 tags), male protagonist (2 tags), in the setting of highschool dxd (3 tags), then you would have to execute (3 * 2 * 3 =) 18 searches to find all the stories which is quite the hassle (although i deliberately took one of the more bad cases here), so i hope you understand where i am coming from with my suggestion.

Last edited:
Well that depends on how the database is setup and in how far they can access it, if they are able to do some find and replace executions on all the tags while at the same time making sure that this does not lead to duplicate tags than it should be possible, i have done database operations like these before so in principle i think it should be possible.

Well once more it all depends on how it is setup, what access they have and how important vs the hassle they find my suggestion.

Still to illustrate, lets say that for instance you would want to find all stories with a Self insert (3 tags), male protagonist (2 tags), in the setting of highschool dxd (3 tags), then you would have to execute (3 * 2 * 3 =) 18 searches to find all the stories which is quite the hassle (although i deliberately took one of the more bad cases here), so i hope you understand where i am coming from with my suggestion.
Well, first off, let's start with your example:
  1. Setting (DxD in your example) is usually in the title and may not also be in the tags.
  2. Same usually goes for SI, though SI is also just not listed at all sometimes.
  3. "Male Protagonist" is not something that I've seen tagged all that often. The 2 "Male Protagonist" tags have 10 pages of results between them and considering there 247 pages in NSFW Creative Writing alone and the tag search doesn't have any way to restrict where it searches, that's 10 pages on the whole site which is pretty clearly not the total number stories on the site with male protagonists.
Your way of searching is not a good way of searching QQ, as the way the tag system is set up and the way people tag on here don't really work with shoving a shitload of tags in the search. You've likely missed quite a few stories that would have matched your criteria by trying to search like that.

The standard title search treats the tags as part of the title, the tag search not only doesn't consider the title but also has no way to narrow the search parameters to a specific subforum.

The tags on QQ are meant to tell you a little bit about the story or just be funny, they aren't meant to be major search parameters.

Well, first off, let's start with your example:
  1. Setting (DxD in your example) is usually in the title and may not also be in the tags.
  2. Same usually goes for SI, though SI is also just not listed at all sometimes.
  3. "Male Protagonist" is not something that I've seen tagged all that often. The 2 "Male Protagonist" tags have 10 pages of results between them and considering there 247 pages in NSFW Creative Writing alone and the tag search doesn't have any way to restrict where it searches, that's 10 pages on the whole site which is pretty clearly not the total number stories on the site with male protagonists.
Your way of searching is not a good way of searching QQ, as the way the tag system is set up and the way people tag on here don't really work with shoving a shitload of tags in the search. You've likely missed quite a few stories that would have matched your criteria by trying to search like that.

The standard title search treats the tags as part of the title, the tag search not only doesn't consider the title but also has no way to narrow the search parameters to a specific subforum.

The tags on QQ are meant to tell you a little bit about the story or just be funny, they aren't meant to be major search parameters.

Hey i get it, searching by name i what i do most of the time as well, i just think it would be better to have more consolidated tags, doing that would make it more useful and in the future they might then even be useful for searching in a way they are currently not usable for, when that is the case they may also be used more by the authors themselves.
It is an entirely optional thing, i just think it would be neat to have.

Then why have tags in the first place? "oH bIcuZz theYre funNy" has to be the worst reason, just look at AO3.

Tags are supposed to classify the forum, not to make bad jokes. If the tags don't help us - the one browsing stories or the author to properly put their story in the appropriate section - then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back