• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Suggestion: Option to not Auto-Read when someone starts a thread in a watched forum

SpacePaladin

Versed in the lewd.
Is it possible to set things so that when someone starts a thread in a watched forum, not just posts in it, the alert is not auto-read?

I have my alerts set up so that viewing alerts does not mark them as read, I need to actually go to the full alerts page or to the alerted thread/post. I have not checked if it is possible to set that on a per-alert-type basis.

These settings are under "preferences" in the user icon/user name menu.

I have my alerts set up so that viewing alerts does not mark them as read, I need to actually go to the full alerts page or to the alerted thread/post. I have not checked if it is possible to set that on a per-alert-type basis.

These settings are under "preferences" in the user icon/user name menu.

I don't mind them being auto-read, I just don't want new threads to be auto-read.

I don't mind them being auto-read, I just don't want new threads to be auto-read.
There are per alert setting options. You'd have to play around with them to get the exact behavior you want, though. I've barely started looking at them, but I am playing with some getting auto read and some not when I open the pop-up menu.

Update: with my current alert settings, new threads and being replied to do not get automatically marked as read in the alerts pop-up, but all other alert types (such as other new posts in a thread and like) do get automatically marked as read. What you want is definitely possible, you just might need to play with it a bit too get it how you want.

Update: with my current alert settings, new threads and being replied to do not get automatically marked as read in the alerts pop-up, but all other alert types (such as other new posts in a thread and like) do get automatically marked as read. What you want is definitely possible, you just might need to play with it a bit too get it how you want.

Can you take a screenshot of your settings so I can try them out? You can PM me and block out anything private.

Can you take a screenshot of your settings so I can try them out? You can PM me and block out anything private.
Won't help, I don't have anyplace to upload them.

In Alert Preferences:

Alert pop-up options -> Use per-alert configuration
Generate new alerts without reading threads -> turn off (optional?)
Alerting preferences -> Use custom

Settings by notification category:
Everything generates an alert, that is, all alerts are turned on. Some of them get marked as read when I check the alert pop-up menu (that is, they have "pop-up auto-read" turned on), and some do not.

The following have pop-up auto-read turned off:
  • Adds a collaborator to a thread
  • Removes a collaborator from a thread
  • The thread starter replies to a watched thread
  • Posts in a watched forum (this is the setting you want)
  • Quotes your message
  • Mentions you in a message
  • Posts on your profile
  • Mentions you in a profile post or comment
  • Comments on your profile or status
  • Comments on your profile post for other members
  • Also comments on a profile post
The following have pop-up auto-read turned on:
  • Replies to a watched thread
  • Reacts to your message
  • Reacts to your profile post
  • Reacts to your profile post comment
  • Reacts to your message in a conversation (this is for PMs)
  • Starts following you
  • Your user name change is approved
  • Your user name change is rejected

Users who are viewing this thread

Back