• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Taylor Kills Armaster

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

Removed for plagiarism.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it. The heavy analysis, mainly. I mean if there's powers why not focus on them with in depth detail.

Anyway, 'social Tinkers'. I'd actually already done some reading on this; yeah I'm a cape nerd, laugh it up. Emma was too until – focus, Taylor.

So. The recent academic discussion was sparked by the emergence of an Earth Aleph Rogue/Villain (depending on how charitable you were being, since though he had not done anything serious, he was still a Master, after all) calling himself the Memelord. About as mature as his name might imply, Memelord was capable of creating what the PRT was calling "Visual mediums that impart minute instructions upon the victim's subconscious, which emerge as a subtle Master influence at a later time due to a feedback loop of autosuggestion began by initial exposure to a pattern within the medium".

In English: He makes 'memes' (a much bigger phenomenon on Earth Aleph than here, apparently) that weakly mind-control people. He could have done it with street art, commercials, or propaganda posters, but instead he chose pictures of animals with colorful backgrounds and text strings above and below.

The only reason we were hearing about him was because his 'art' was making its way over here through the portal-assisted information exchange between our dimensions. Now, obviously he had a Master rating. The question, though, was what to categorize his picture-making 'skills' as. Was he a Thinker that knew how to draw visual patterns 'just so' in order to imprint upon the subconscious of his victims? That 'creation' aspect sounds more like a Tinker skill to me, but of course people don't like to apply a Tinker label to anything but 'hard' sciences.

That's the crux of the issue, I mused. Physics, electronics, coding, materials, medicine; all technical, quantifiable sciences that no one has a problem saying Tinkers can produce advanced technology within. Social sciences, though? Suddenly people hesitate to even call it 'technology' at all. As if massive strides have not been made in 'soft' science fields like psychology, anthropology, even education; Mom would've been incensed at the double standard.

There was a girl in the UK that could write stories that imparted the experiences of the characters the reader most closely identified with upon said reader (within reason; things like good aim or courage, not magic or flight), and they called her a Thinker too. Yet, "Applies parahuman knowledge and competence to create advanced objects out of otherwise mundane materials" fits the bill for a description of Tinkers, in my opinion, while also describing Memelord and… I think book-girl's name was Self-Insert?

Horrible choice, but I understand what she was going for.

There were several others too; Gesellschaft had a supposed 'Thinker/Master' that could write superhumanly convincing speeches that anyone could use, not just himself; a businesswoman in Chicago could create and maintain vast support networks of people that, once set up, required minimum maintenance (I'm using Tinker-associated terminology, take that naysayers!) on her part to keep them chugging along; hell, even Canary herself was suspected to simply use the natural emotion-inducing properties of music and lyrics to invoke enough mindless adoration to force people to do anything she asked. That was why her now-infamous songs also carried some of her power's influence, though far less than if you heard her in person.

This section is super familiar and I'm sure I've read it in another fic, pretty much word for word. Or is this a repost from another site?

Edit: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...y-alt-power-au-not-crack.50871/#post-11460745

Maybe its a fanfic of a fanfic? Just reposting the first chapter and taking it in a different direction?

On the one hand, the writing quality is high and the piece is well edited. On the other hand, it's OPs first post, the title clashes with the story, the tag(s) simply read: worm, OP has no profile pic, and the username appears nowhere else on the internet, but the QQ acc has been around since February. I for one, don't give two shits about any of that, because this was good to read. If any of this is plagiarised well that sucks but them's the breaks when posting stuff online. If there is something shady going on, I'm sure the original creator will hear about it and the rare and elusive mods will sort it out. In the meantime, we can all hopefully enjoy The ArmsTM​MasterTM​ getting merc'd by everyone's favourite escalator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back