• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The Fate Within Our Hands (HP SI)

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

It's been seven years since the Dark Lord's appearance into Wizarding Britain, with his fanatical Death Eaters in tow. Roused into fighting yet another Dark Lord, it seems that Lord Voldemort's poses a greater threat than Grindelwald's terror in the forties. Marauders/First War-era. Semi-SI/OC. Featuring a well-intentioned and good Dumbledore and competent Order of the Phoenix.
Chapter 1: A Rude Awawkening New

Sakumo

Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?
August 30, 1991, On the not so distant future:
"Dumbledore," I remarked, coming face-to-face with the Hogwarts' Headmaster after years of not seeing each other, the last time was since the Potters have passed and the Longbottoms have been rescued. It was a surprise that the man himself sent me a letter two days ago to meet in one of his… peculiar haunts.

"Indeed, old friend," the older man replied, with a small smile gracing his lips. "How fare are your travels?"

"Good enough," I answered dismissively before getting straight to point, "Now, what did you call me for, Albus?"

"I see that you are still not mincing words," Dumbledore observed with a slight chuckle, "Very well, have you went over our theories about Lord Voldemort?"

"We have heard and studied Magic long enough, Albus to know that there are only few things that can make one immortal," I remarked as I realized we were atop in one of the buildings in Muggle London. "There are still a few things I would like to go over to be sure. What of your own search about him?"

"I have been trying to acquire memories of people who were acquainted with the young Tom Riddle, before he became Lord Voldemort. But my search had hit quite a snag on his mother's family, the Gaunts."

My ears perked up at the mention of that old pureblood name, "The family of Parselmouths?"

"The very same, Aldwin," Dumbledore confirmed. "His mother Merope Gaunt, his uncle Morfin and his grandfather Marvolo."

"We should not be discussing this so brazen and openly," I replied, switching topics. "I heard that Nicholas Flamel had entrusted you his stone?"

"Quite so," the Headmaster replies without skipping a beat, "The attempted breakout in Gringotts had Nicholas and Perenelle made up their minds that Hogwarts is the safest the stone can be."

We fell to a few moments of silence before Dumbledore spoke up again, "Young Harry Potter will be starting his education in two days, no doubt there will be fanfare and speculations arising once more."

"That is the bane of fame, Albus," I said with a wry grin. "Skeeter is going to be publishing a book you won't like."

"Truly? What about?," he asked perplexed.

"If I remember correctly it is about Dippet. 'Armando Dippet: Master or Moron', such a farce of a biography. Now I remembered why you banned her in Hogwarts for a reason…"

November 12, 1977, MacMillan Ancestral House:
"Emmeline Vance, Benjamin Fenwick," I spoke, surprised that two Order members were standing in the entrance of my ancestral home as I was alerted by our wards. My brother, the Lord MacMillan was currently travelling the world and tasked me to lodge here for the time being. I knew this was a possibility, that Dumbledore will contact me once this war started nine years ago, and so far had been unsuccessful in getting a hold on me, until today.

"Sir MacMillan," Vance spoke without skipping a beat, nor suspicious how I knew of their names, "Professor Dumbledore sent us for you."

"And what does Albus want me to do?," I asked testily, "I am not beholden by him."

"We know that you're the one who hid Edgar Bones' family to safety," Fenwick cut in, his rather large frame imposing and intimidating. "And Dumbledore knows that you've been supplying the Order and the Ministry some information about the Death Eater attacks."

I sighed gruffly before explaining, "I've fought the last war, Mr. Fenwick, as someone working in Law Enforcement like you would know, it is not a pleasant thing. Dumbledore's passiveness will get many killed. I don't want to deal with the riffraff like Bagnold and I won't claim the moral high ground like Albus, I just want to do the right thing without external influences."

The two were briefly chastised before Emmeline tried to speak before I raised my hand to stop her. "Something is wrong," I murmured, my eyes sweeping the surroundings. "Wands out."

Fenwick was quick to comply, it seems that his experiences as a DMLE officer taught him to attack first and ask questions later, Vance was slower on her draw, a bit hesitant.

"My family's wards and my own protective spells will keep this place standing at the moment," I said, before whispering furiously to the both of them, "You were followed!"

"We made sure to be discreet," protested Vance before suddenly figures rose in the pitch black night and a series of spells heading our direction.

"Shields!," Fenwick roared, raising a powerful Protego that collided with a sickly purple spell.

"They're using lethal spells," I announced, "Then we must return with the same ferocity. Aureus Fulgur!," I intoned, with my wand unleashing a chain of golden lightning that homed on the nearest attacker, shocking him fatally. I quickly transfigured a nearby tree to a small bear while Vance and Fenwick were holding their own.

"We need reinforcements," I said before defending myself to the slew of spells heading to our directions.

"On it," the other man replied, producing a Patronus of a Toad that seemingly leapt from his wand. "Send for Albus Dumbledore, we encountered some Death Eaters!"

"Dumbledore may not like methods but this will help us. Cover me," I said contritely moving my wand swiftly and raised our my home's enchanted guardians, bringing to life the lion statues that adorned our home. With some of the attackers momentarily unfocused, I seized on the opportunity and released a Expulso curse to an unsuspecting Death Eater and a stunner on the next.

"Vance," Fenwick called out as the woman nodded as she aimed for another attacker, "Stupefy!"

"Are you mad?," I said in between the fighting, "Aim to kill!"

"We need some of them alive," she retorted. "How can we get information with them dead!"

"Focus on the task at hand," Fenwick reminded as he tackled two at once before he outdueled the first before getting hit by a curse by the second one.

"Damn," I gritted out. "Are you alright?," I asked the downed man.

"Yeah, got hit by a slashing spell, I can shake it off," he replied with a pained expression.

"No you can't," I said, giving him a hard look. "Vance, get over here and apparate now!"

"But-," the woman tried to say but I insisted once more.

"We're going to the Prewetts' house," she called before disappearing with a crack. Now alone, I gripped my wand tightly as I tried to counter at least five more people attacking me. "Protego Maxima," I murmured before unleashing a string of cutting curses. I can hear their laughs as they shot spells yet again. Before I can retaliate however, the cavalry had arrived in late fashion.

"DUMBLEDORE!," one of the attackers cried out as they did not want to face the wrath of the Headmaster, and the one that defeated Grindelwald centuries ago.

"THAT'S MOODY!," another said before they hastily apparated out of the area, they did not have time to even recover their downed comrades as they fled. It seems that the combined presence of Dumbledore and the hardened Auror had intimidated them to not risk even if they have the superior numbers.

"Aldwin-," Dumbledore tried to start as he approached me before I held up my hand. "We will talk later, Dumbledore and do not expect it to be pleasant. Where do you and your 'friends' meet."

Albus merely sighed but capitulated, "The Prewett's house in Devon," before handing me a note. I did not dignify him a response as I left quickly to the said location.

Minutes Later:
"The headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix is located at the Prewett Properties, London," I spoke silently as the rather inconspicuous house appeared. Before I can open the door, two red-haired twins looked at me suspiciously. "Are you the MacMillan bloke Emmeline and Benjy tried to visit?"

"That would be me. If you don't believe it, here's the note Dumbledore gave to me," I said, the first one quickly read the note while the other one trained his wand at me.

"That's Albus's writing alright," one twin said finally.

"Then he's safe," the other agreed. "Gideon Prewett," he said while pointing himself, "Fabian. The others are at the room just across the hall. What did Dumbledore and Moody say?"

"Nothing yet. But there will be words," I supplied. "Are Vance and Fenwick safe? The bloke got hit with a stray one."

"Benjy got hit pretty good in the arm, but he'll walk it off," one of the two replied.

"I'll stay and wait for Dumbledore," I said to the two, who narrowed their eyes to me before shrugging.

"Suit yourself."

A few minutes later, the door opened, revealing Dumbledore, Moody and three others, I glared at the Headmaster before greeting Moody.

"Alastor," I called out the Auror, his hair long and now with streaks of gray and silver in his auburn mane. "How are you, old friend?," I asked, offering a hand.

"Good enough, Aldwin," the man practically growled. "I'd say that between you and me, you did what was necessary in offing those chaps, pureblood or not they were still scum after all."

"Did you get the names of the dead?," I asked quietly as the rest were filtering in the Prewett's house.

"Well two are in St. Mungo's now - Theodore Mulciber and Nox Avery, you killed Walden Macnair. Mulciber and Avery are not that close to their Lords of their Houses, and Macnair - well, he's one the Ministry's so this will be a shock to old Milicent."

I muttered curses under my breath as the last one of the Order entered the meeting room which we were situated.

"We're in the clear, Albus," one of the Prewett twins relayed to Dumbledore as we used their house for this meeting. "Gideon and I fortified the protections in this place since Molly and Arthur and the kids started visiting us every now and then."

"Our gratitude for your hospitality as always, Fabian, please give Molly and Arthur, young William, Charles and Percival my regards," Dumbledore spoke, his tone warm and grateful. "Let us all take a seat."

Fabian Prewett nodded as the rest took seat in the long dining table. I elected to stand, so did Moody who was naturally wary of everybody and a dark-skinned witch.

"I would like to start on what happened today," Dumbledore announced, his eyes trailing Vance, to Fenwick then mine. "Emmeline?"

"No," I said, startling the group, "I know you mean well Dumbledore, but you got the balls to set loose your members to me?," I said angrily, glaring at the Headmaster who was a little uncomfortable. "There wouldn't be a fight in the first place had you not tried the stunt you pulled. Haven't you thought that with your people going to the MacMillan family home that you placed a target on my family's back!"

"Aldwin," he started before I cut him off yet again, "You sent Vance and Fenwick to either test where my loyalties lie or to recruit me; tell me I'm lying."'

Dumbledore sighed, "That would be correct, Aldwin. I hoped you remained unchanged on where your ideals lie,"

"And they are still where they lie, fighting the good fight as we both did in '44!," I exclaimed.

"See here, Albus, you may not confide with me like you do to Minerva, nor trust me implicitly like Doge, Hagrid or Alastor, but do not take me as a damn fool. Keep those secrets of yours and maneuver people like they are pieces on your chessboard but should you ever try and cross me," I continued, inching closer to the older man. "We may have a problem with that. You know what happened to Bauer and Anton Zabini now, would you?"

My words made Dumbledore raise his eyes in alarm and I heard Moody and Doge elicit shocked sounds. Helmut Bauer was the German Head of the Auror Office from the 1920s to the '40s and Anton Zabini was well-known to be talented even amongst the Zabini Clan, both ardent followers of Grindelwald. By 1945, Bauer was still formidable but an old man and Zabini was careless and arrogant when they confronted me.

"I haven't forgotten," he said with a cautious voice. "You haven't lost your ruthlessness, old friend," he said albeit subdued. While Dumbledore is still a league or so above myself, even he is cautious around the likes of me. Fresh out of Hogwarts, it was a terrible slap of reality when we travelled to Europe and waged war with Grindelwald's followers.

It was there where I became familiar with my old Transfiguration Professor, and his cadre of his own followers much like today. Only then, they were not blindly following the aged Headmaster, rather they looked at him as if they were peers and criticized him when needed. Only Alastor and Minerva question this old fool but still.

"Good. Now what will the Order do now that this Dark Lord and his Death Eaters are not going to stop anytime?," I asked, addressing the room. They seemed to be intimidated but it was Frank Longbottom who spoke up. "Well, we know we don't have the numbers to fight the Death Eaters head on, but we gather actionable intel on where and when are they going to strike and hopefully we can tip off the Ministry or try and mitigate the damage ourselves."

"We also keep watch on certain creatures and we've been attempting to establish a network of informants in different parts of Britain and internationally. My family is well-connected so I've been trying to do that lot," Marlene McKinnon supplied.

I nodded, "Then face it, the Order is outnumbered, may it be 10 to 1, 20 to 1 it doesn't matter. You forget, Dumbledore, that it is different when we faced Grindelwald since it was a global war; this is a localized threat and Voldemort," - a collective wince from the other members, "Is shaping up to be the most dangerous wizard since him and his followers made Grindelwald's lot honourable. We have to be cautious."

"What do you suggest we do, Aldwin?," the Headmaster asked, no doubt suitably chastised by my reprimand.

"We have already heard whispers Voldemort is recruiting many foul creatures under his command - giants, vampires, werewolves and more. Fenrir Greyback is a headache for Britain and he is wanted in several more countries, we need people to discreetly track his movements," I said and judging by their reactions they were already informed of it.

"I'll do it," a rather man with greying, shaggy beard said quietly.

"Thank you, Caradoc," Dumbledore said as he acknowledged the man. "And so will you, Dorcas?"

The dark-skinned woman who was standing, nodded, "Yes, Professor."

"It would be best to watch over the Ministry too. Can't be too sure these days," Alastor spoke up his input to which Dumbledore nodded. "Me and Longbottom - Frank, will do it" he declared.

"I shall carry out our network of informants, Professor Dumbledore," McKinnon said quietly. "Alice had already volunteered to help, her connections as an Auror will help tremendously."

"A wise move," Albus praised. "Gideon? Fabian?"

"We'll station in Hogsmeade," one of the Prewett twins decided, "There has been attacks near Hogsmeade that one can't help but feel that the village will be next."

"Sturgis, Mundungus, may I burden you with the task of you both do best?," Dumbledore requested the two who nodded.

"We'll handle the folks at Diagon Alley," the man name Sturgis replied.

"I fear that I will be preoccupied in my duties as Headmaster for the time being; Elphias may I ask you the burden of informing me the Wizengamot's updates yet again?"

"I will see to it, Albus."

"Very well, I'll inform Hagrid of his own undertaking," the Headmaster said after a few moments. "Aldwin, I hope these arrangements satisfied you?"

"You may have just given us more time, Dumbledore. Vance, Fenwick, we will be working more closely next time," I said before leaving the house.

Dumbledore POV:
"That was intense," Gideon remarked as Albus watched his former student leave; Aldwin MacMillan was a hardened man, decisive and quick-thinking - a model Gryffindor had the Sorting Hat not decided him to be Ravenclaw. The MacMillans were highly respectable in Wizarding Britain, and most of their reputation the past few years was due to Aldwin's accomplishments. Hit Wizard, Department Head, Order of Merlin and a seat in Wizengamot.

Albus knew that his old friend will take up arms, and it seems that his final push to participating was out of safety for his family. It was evident when Aldwin had sheltered Edgar Bones' family when they were nearly targeted by the Death Eaters.

"You should've seen him when we were in Hogwarts," he heard Alastor say with a vicious grin. "I was in my second year when he became Head Boy, and Grindelwald's ramblings resonated with a lot of blood-purists at that time; let's just say that he gave those sympathizers a hard time when they were at school. Isn't that right, Albus?"

Albus sighed, "Indeed, Mr. MacMillan does not tolerate such views. After graduating he joined the ICW's Hit Wizards and earned a reputation there," he revealed with a grim tone. "And he has not slowed down."

"We were outnumbered three to six, Headmaster," Benjy Fenwick said as he nurses his injured arm, "He's quicker and posed more of a threat to the Death Eaters than me and Emmeline combined, had a powerful shield charm too."

"I'm surprised he was the one who offed Bauer," Alastor continued thoughtfully, "I would've paid galleons to see how that turned out," he continued with a relish. Once again, Albus was thankful that men like Alastor were on their side.

"What does it mean that we'll be working closely next time?," Emmeline asked out loud to which Albus perked up slightly.

"It seems that Mr. MacMillan has approved of your and Benjy's actions, Emmeline," he said with amusement. "You must have impressed him well enough to work with the two of you. If that is all everyone, thank you for coming - meeting adjourned."

Wait, MC isn't an overpowered bastard with out of context powers? Sign me up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back