• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Topic Reply Notification Emails Not Linking URLs

macdjord

Well worn.
Recently, some - but not all - of the topic reply/new topic notification emails I've been getting have the 'View the reply at:' and 'Unsubscribe to this topic' URLs not showing up as hyperlinks. This is somewhat irritating, since it means I have to manually copy & paste the URLs. Any ideas why?
I'm using Gmail.

No changes have been made to the forum software lately. Has Gmail changed? I don't use it so I don't know anything about it. Do you check your mail from multiple locations?

Gmail hasn't changed that I know of. I check my email from two computers, but I've been using both for a long time before this started.
On closer inspection, the emails seem to be arriving in text/plain instead of text/html.

That is very odd. You normally have to select to see the plain text version in your email reader's settings.

Do you use Gmail's site to read your emails or do you use an app or program?

Gmail site. And when I say it's in text/plain, I mean that, looking at the raw message, there is no text/html version included at all.
Here is the complete text of an email, including headers. Edit: Specifically, an email that does not display the links.

Return-path: <geryona@wren.arvixe.com>
Envelope-to: admin@questionablequesting.com
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 05:08:36 -0800
Received: from geryona by wren.arvixe.com with local (Exim 4.82)
(envelope-from <geryona@wren.arvixe.com>)
id 1Xnohv-0008J5-OG
for admin@questionablequesting.com; Mon, 10 Nov 2014 05:08:35 -0800
To: admin@questionablequesting.com
Subject: New Topic: Topic Reply Notification Emails Not Linking URLs
From: "Questionable Questing" <board@questionablequesting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:08:20 -0000
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-85e73443265bc03b443aadcf92707e59"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <E1Xnohv-0008J5-OG@wren.arvixe.com>

A new topic, 'Topic Reply Notification Emails Not Linking URLs', has been made on a board you are watching.

You can see it at
http://questionablequesting.com/index.php?topic=832.new#new

More topics may be posted, but you won't receive more email notifications until you return to the board and read some of them.

Unsubscribe to new topics from this board by using this link:
http://questionablequesting.com/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=22.0

Regards,
The Questionable Questing Team.
--SMF-85e73443265bc03b443aadcf92707e59
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

A new topic, 'Topic Reply Notification Emails Not Linking URLs', has been made on a board you are watching.

You can see it at
http://questionablequesting.com/index.php?topic=832.new#new

More topics may be posted, but you won't receive more email notifications until you return to the board and read some of them.

Unsubscribe to new topics from this board by using this link:
http://questionablequesting.com/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=22.0

Regards,
The Questionable Questing Team.
--SMF-85e73443265bc03b443aadcf92707e59--

This is the notification email I got for the creation of this topic. It's formatted identically to yours, and the links are active in Thunderbird.

You are getting the correct emails, but Gmail isn't displaying them as HTML.

Well, that isn't HTML. Note how there's no <a href="..."> in there. I guess that Thunderbird is automatically linkifying anything that looks like a URL; Gmail does the same most of the time but for some reason is failing in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back