• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Witch of the Skein {Quest}

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

What is this I don't even-

There's a legend, you know.

Whether...

shaderic

An ordinary cat?
What is this I don't even-

There's a legend, you know.

Whether or not you've heard it, you probably know how it goes.

A wise princess, a powerful beast, and a courageous warrior.

The princess is beautiful, the beast ugly. The warrior is handsome, but is a young lowborn, only on the cusp of manhood.

There's a kidnapping, a kingdom cast into darkness, and a great many trials.

But in the end, it's always the same. The beast is slain, the princess restored to her throne, and the warrior rewarded handsomely for his efforts.

The wheel turns, and the story begins again.

The actors change, as does the scenery. But the tale itself remains the same, playing over and over.

The beast falls, the hero rises, and the princess returns.

The cycle begins anew.

It is a simple tale, one comfortable to you in it's familiarity.

And yet having heard the tale a thousand times, you know it to be merely a fairy-tale.

But you know?

History oft becomes legend, which oft becomes myth, which in turn become the stories we tell. Therefore, is there not a shred of history in every tale? A tiny, glowing ember of fact covered in the dust of time.

Fantastic things have happened. Grand things are occurring. And soon, even more amazing things will come.

And yet, they do not always happen on their own. Even with the subtle guiding hand of fate, things do no always happen as they should.

Which is, quite honestly, where you come in.

You are a Witch, the old wise woman, the fairy godmother. One who aids the story, without becoming it's center.

The wheel turns, after all. But sometimes it needs a little help.

Alas, the curtain shall soon rise and we shall go our separate ways once more, young Witch. But I have time to answer a few questions of yours, should you wish it. In exchange, all I ask is that you answer one of my own.

How did you become a Witch?

[ ] "I 'inherited' the title."
[ ] "I met a strange woman."
[ ] "I... Don't know..."
[ ] Write in

I see...

Do you have any questions, then?

[ ] Write in

[X] Through cleverness and luck
-[X] I was kidnapped by a witch, intending to use me as a sacrifice in a spell designed to increase her own power. She brought me back to her Keep and chained me by the wrists to the floor in the center of a ritual chalk circle. Fortunately for me she didn't bind my legs, and as the power behind the spell reached its peak I smudged part of the runes with my toes. The spell inverted passing her magical power to me.

[X] What is the reputation of witches and magic users in this world?
[X] What is the source of energy for spells? Our environment, ourselves or other sources?
[X] How can I hone my abilities? Perhaps at a magical academy or through reading magical tomes?

[X] I've always been the witch. It is the natural part of the cycle.

[X] Who are you?
[X] How did you get entangled in this tale?

Meta story go!

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Through cleverness and luck
-[X] I was kidnapped by a witch, intending to use me as a sacrifice in a spell designed to increase her own power. She brought me back to her Keep and chained me by the wrists to the floor in the center of a ritual chalk circle. Fortunately for me she didn't bind my legs, and as the power behind the spell reached its peak I smudged part of the runes with my toes. The spell inverted passing her magical power to me.

[X] What is the source of energy for spells? Our environment, ourselves or other sources?
[X] How can I hone my abilities? Perhaps at a magical academy or through reading magical tomes?

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbkrKNBVIpk[/embed]

[X] I trained to be a witch at Witch Academia, a school for witches.

[X] How can I hone my abilities?

[X] I've always been the witch. It is the natural part of the cycle.

[X] Who are you?
[X] How did you get entangled in this tale?

"I've always been the Witch."

You say it so confidently. And yet, that isn't true. You weren't always the Witch.

But you don't have to take my word for it. The truth will become known soon enough. If you choose to think of yourself as merely an instrument of destiny, there's nothing I can do to stop you.

Now, I believe I promised you some answers.

"Who are you? How did you get entangled in this tale?"

Me? I am no one. I am everyone. I am the biased, and the impartial. I am the narrator and the listener. The one who's words guide fate, yet who has no true control over the story.

From the very beginning, I bore witness. And at the end, I shall gaze into the abyss until I too am nothing.

If you'd like a name, I've been called God before. But it's rather egotistical to call myself that.

For the time being, call me Ishmael.

"What is the reputation of witches and magic users in this world?"

In simplest terms, there are none.

Magic is a thing of fantasy, and this world has long moved past that. Or so those who live there have chosen to believe.

But as you well know, the wheel turns.

As with any great tale, the world is about to experience a most tumultuous time.

So, I suppose it will fall to you and the other emerging magicians to decide, hmm?

"What is the source of energy for spells? Our environment, ourselves or other sources?"

I shall again use the simplest answer. Yes.

Magic comes from many things. Faith, belief, luck, genetics, science, age, skill. The earth, the sea, the sky. One has merely to reach for it, and it shall come.

One of the many reason that the tale shall be so tangled, I'm afraid.

"How can I hone my abilities?"

How does one hone any skill?

Use them, and they shall answer your call.

But be wary. The powers of a Witch are rarely meant to be used directly.

Your role is to guide the tale to a happy ending, but people are rarely trusting of Witches.

... The curtain has begun to rise.

I wish you luck.

You awaken in...

[ ] An empty apartment.
[ ] A bare cottage.
[ ] A dirty alley.

Shaderic does this mean we did win the powers through my writein and just told her something else?

Lucky I decided to take a look before bed.

Basically, you claimed to be THE Witch. That you had never been anyone else.

Ishmael politely called bullshit.

Anyway, that wasn't so much to decide what your powers were, but your past. So, our Witchy protagonist thinks of herself firstly as a Witch, secondly as a Witch, thirdly as a Witch, with personal issues coming far after that.

And man, does she now have a lot of issues.

Because the Witch is a role. An aspect. A character.

A single piece of a larger whole.

And, for whatever reason, you've chosen to cut every part of yourself that's not to do with being a Witch away, and pretend as though it never even existed.

This is going to be very, very interesting.

772991589314620849.jpg

[X] Plan Bii
[X] An empty apartment.
[X] The view outside from the wooden balcony is spectacular as you see a 'small' inland sea... in the distance is a white cloud as it rains...

Wow. It won with 2 votes. Huh.

[X] Plan Bii

is good.

It is warm when you awaken.

Gulls circle in the bright blue skies outside.

Mechanically, you sit up. Dark bangs hang over your eyes until a calm hand presses them back to be clipped in with a simple hair tie.

From there, it's a short walk to bathroom. It's tiny, just enough room for you to sit on the toilet and not bump your knees against the sink. The shower, like it is every day, is cold to the point of freezing. The water heater has been broken for quite some time now. It's been due to be fixed next week for about two months, according to website you use to pay rent.

All it represents is an inconvenience.

Should you need hot water, you'll get it.

Calmly toweling off, you step onto the small balcony that your apartment has. The winds from the sea will help you dry off faster.

A handful of small plants grow in tiny pots. Simple things, but they are small conveniences that you will need for later. A quick examination reveals them all to be fairly healthy and some blossoms will be ready soon.

Nearly dry and check of your plants completed, you're about to head in when you hear a sound like a gasp and a snort mixed together. Turning to face the source of the sound, a young man stands on the balcony next to yours. His eyes are wide, as though in shock. The way his jaw flaps suggest he's been incredibly surprised.

Strange. You'd thought nobody lived there.

You should probably say something.

[ ] "Good morning." Best to be polite.
[ ] "Is something wrong?" He seems rather shocked at something.
[ ] "I didn't know anyone had moved in next door." Ordinary people make small talk, yes?

[X] "Is something wrong?" He seems rather shocked at something.
-[X] Respond in a bland and natural tone of voice as if talking about the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back