• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Especially in a second 'hot' emotion. Gaining Hope or Compassion Enlightenment would probably balance you out... :p Though I can't imagine Mr Zoat wanting to try to render dual Enlightement in text. Different colours of opening and closing quotes? Sounds like a nightmare. :confused:

Zoat's gonna suffer enough with Raker Qarrigat on the Renegade timeline and he only uses two differently colored rings

Paul: "Look, you can't make me afraid using fake things"

Harrolds: "So I should do it for real, got it, killing your friends brb"

Paul: "Wait no"

Maybe telling the incarnation of fear that is desperately trying to make you afraid that the only way to make you afraid is by *actually* doing all the terrible shit it was *pretending* to do was not the brightest move to make, who knew. :V
LePaul has the common sense of a Goldfish.

This is known.

Though I can't imagine Mr Zoat wanting to try to render dual Enlightement in text. Different colours of opening and closing quotes? Sounds like a nightmare. :confused:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mr Zoat actually plan for him gaining Fear Enlightenment with Siskin, realize he'd have to do extra colored qoutes, and say fuck that?

This guy doesn't have a ring whereas Paragon did. Not sure if that makes a difference at all, but it might.
Parallax's host explicitly doesn't have a ring but was able to trap Paul in an illusion.
And then there's the fact that Paul thought to himself somewhere earlier that Parallax has a tendency to take hosts without rings.

Can you gain more than 1 emotional enlightenment? Dr Mist meditated and jumped right to White Enlightenment. Not sure if the other way os to step by step gain the others or if that's impossible.

Can you gain more than 1 emotional enlightenment? Dr Mist meditated and jumped right to White Enlightenment. Not sure if the other way os to step by step gain the others or if that's impossible.

Way back in the day (around the Terror Thing stuff I think?) Zoat mentioned that becoming Enlightened to one part of The Glow makes it a lot harder to do the same for others. I don't think he said it was totally impossible, but it gets harder as you go presumably and would require a whole lot of effort most people probably wouldn't care enough to go for.

Parallax's host explicitly doesn't have a ring but was able to trap Paul in an illusion.
And then there's the fact that Paul thought to himself somewhere earlier that Parallax has a tendency to take hosts without rings.
Well, yeah, I'm not saying he's powerless without a ring. Obviously he's still very strong. I'm just saying that possibly he's somewhat weaker than he otherwise might be due to lacking a ring.
Or maybe he's not. I was just stating a possibility. For all I know he's stronger without a ring.

This guy doesn't have a ring whereas Paragon did. Not sure if that makes a difference at all, but it might.

I don't think he needs it to do sone serious damage.

Well. Not as calm as we thought. Parallax wants to taste fears... he should go to Apokalypse

That may not be a good place for that.

Seeing as it's flooded in Anti-Life, it's population may not be even capable of feeling fear, so not much music there.

The inhabited worlds near Apokolips may provide him with fear since the people on those worlds would presumably always be afraid of being destroyed or enslaved by Apokolips.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying he's powerless without a ring. Obviously he's still very strong. I'm just saying that possibly he's somewhat weaker than he otherwise might be due to lacking a ring.
Or maybe he's not. I was just stating a possibility. For all I know he's stronger without a ring.

I don't think the presence or lack of Power Ring makes a difference for an emotional entity. They essentially have all the power available to their electromagnetic spectrum, the only difference would be the lack AI, but they can manipulate The Glow directly and affect reality with it however they want.

Whatever construct, technique or effect they want to achieve they just directly use their power for it, they don't need a ring to channel it, nor a lantern to recharge it, etc. In fact, I think the Ophidian said something similar while fused with Paul way back when.

Parallax going to universe 16 to scare Paul has one possible good outcome and that is Parallax going to Earth 16 to wreck it only to find it fucked over by the anti life.

Only to get pissed that anti life has taken the light of fear off so many people.

With Parallax, Ion, Ophidian that is three embodiments, with the life entity being already on earth and thus possibly being poked by their combined efforts. Alan could probably get Adara on board and Dame Carol could maybe get the predator, so all that are left to super charge the local humans would be the butcher and the octopus thing... IE red and violet.

Humanity being restored with less anger and compassion could be a problem, but that is better than getting fucked by the anti life.

I don't think the presence or lack of Power Ring makes a difference for an emotional entity. They essentially have all the power available to their electromagnetic spectrum, the only difference would be the lack AI, but they can manipulate The Glow directly and affect reality with it however they want.

Whatever construct, technique or effect they want to achieve they just directly use their power for it, they don't need a ring to channel it, nor a lantern to recharge it, etc. In fact, I think the Ophidian said something similar while fused with Paul way back when.
Paul mentioned to Malvolio that when he was fused with the Ophidian, they didn't have to care about ring charge, but that his assumption was that that was the result of the Ophidian. This was part of their conversation about how Malvolio doesn't have a personal lantern, just the Secondary Green Central Battery.

Fear Ourself (part 12)
Ring, time.

20th January 2013
18:19 GMT

Ugh.

General broadcast.

"Jade?!"

Scan everything.

Compliance.

The air around me turns orange as scanners and sensors of every type in my database appears, the air seeming to hum with a dozen types of energetic emissions.

And message Dox.

Compliance.

Okay, I didn't move while I was here. Jade has moved, and I've got no idea-.

My ring shimmers. Darn-.

"Answer."

A face-. That's not Dox. That's Weaponer Lysis.

"I see that my test subject has left. Are you still in possession of your mental faculties?"

"Yes. What are you doing here?"

"Did you know that your species has a remarkable facility for surviving emotional stress?"

"I haven't seen research that demonstrates that. And having access to a wealth of human psychiatric literature, I-."

"You deform but you don't crack. If my former master had tried something like this on Earth it would never have worked."

I don't remember anything about her working with Sinestro in the comics, but I don't think they continued the characters from the Earth 2 series into the War of Light era.

"Shouldn't you be on Qward? As a Council-Member-."

"I was a Council-Member, but that's become an empty position now. Q'ardajin civilisation has collapsed. If I want to restore Qward then I need something new and powerful."

"Where's Jade?"

"In a spatial vacuole. I imagine that her armour has life-preservation systems, so the lack of fresh air won't be a problem so long as she isn't troubled by not being able to move. But as I said, your species are psychologically resilient."

I can sense spatial vacuoles, but she will probably notice and certainly will have a way to kill Jade if I don't play along.

"Are you simply tormenting me, or-?"

"Of course I'm not! You are the one who unleashed the Parallax Entity on the universe!"

"You had him in a box. I had no idea Parallax had a-."

"It didn't, fool! I was endeavouring to lure it here in a controlled environment so that I could use it to create new power rings!"

Her head jerks as she starts to rant. I think she's pacing.

"And it didn't work! A world with fear in the air and a strong-willing human to break, and nothing happened! And then you were here for less than a day-tenth and this happened." She steadies herself and stares at me. "What did you say to him?"

"Nothing much. Just a little about how fear works. As far as I can tell, once he had the space to organise his thoughts, he attained enlightenment. And then Parallax entered him. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was on or watching this planet already. I think Mister Harrolds just needed a little time alone in his own head to achieve that result."

"And now I have to wait until Parallax burns out its host and then hunt it down again."

"Ah, what? Why wouldn't it just stay in its current host?"

"Mortal flesh is a poor container for an Entity. Without a ring to focus its power, the flesh will fall apart in a few tenths."

"For a possession?"

"Yes.""What?"

"I merged with the Avarice Entity a while ago, and I showed no sign of physical decay at the end of it. Merged. I wasn't possessed."

"He still has his original motivations?"

"Partially. He locked my mind in an illusion to try and make me feel fear. I broke out. I suspect that he's going to the matter universe to make it happen for real."

"That-. Why does he care about you?"

"I don't know. A point of comparison, perhaps? Merging with Entities isn't something that happens very often. But that isn't important."

"Oh?"

"You want Parallax contained somewhere where you can use it to make more rings. I want Parallax out of the way and not trying to do things that will terrify me, on the grounds that it's going to set back my work immensely. I have no particular objection to you making rings, on the grounds that Qwardian society is too messed up to use them in a concerted fashion."

She stares at me for a moment.

"What do you suggest?"

"Do you have a way to contain Parallax?"

"I… Might. But if what you say about its relationship with the host is true, it would be easier for me to disrupt that bond."

"Good. And since our objectives don't contradict each other, what do you say to working together? If you object to the fact that I'm an alien, you can just coordinate with Kalmin. The Maltusians have contained Entities before. This is doable."

"I will keep your aide as collateral."

"Don't be ridiculous. I've already sent a report home. Physicist-Lanterns will be sent to pick her up, and you'll need your full concentration on handling Parallax and making sure that we're not betraying you. And of course if I don't know that she's safe then I'll be focusing on other things as well."

"True. And you want nothing else?"

"I need to borrow a yellow ring, afterwards. Kalmin refuses to make one until I give him Sinestro's head, and…" I look around. "Between the two of them, I'm not sure that Sinestro's worse, morally speaking."

"Borrow?"

"I'd prefer to own it, but I only really need it for a little while."

"I will agree, in exchange for ring telemetry. I want test data."

"And I'm happy to supply it. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you negotiate rather than limiting yourself to threats?"

Last edited:

"And I'm happy to supply it. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you negotiate rather than limiting yourself to threats?"
This is like that Simpson's episode where they keep trying to fix the invasive animal problem by bringing in worse and worse animals.

LePaul... Sometimes you just need to take the L and move on...

"It didn't, fool! I was endeavouring to lure it here in a controlled environment so that I could use it to create new power rings!"

"And it didn't work! A world with fear in the air and a strong-willing human to break, and nothing happened! And then you were here for less than a day-tenth and this happened." She steadies herself and stares at me. "What did you say to him?"
I'm always amused when people ask how Paul was able to achieve something someone else thought impossible or personally failed to accomplish.

"Nothing much. Just a little about how fear works. As far as I can tell, once he had the space to organise his thoughts, he attained enlightenment. And then Parallax entered him. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was on or watching this planet already. I think Mister Harrolds just needed a little time alone in his own head to achieve that results."
That should say 'result'.

"Mortal flesh is a poor contained for an Entity. Without a ring to focus its power, the flesh will fall apart in a few tenths."

"For a possession?"

"Yes.""What?"

"I merged with the avarice Entity a while ago, and I showed no sign of physical decay at the end of it. Merged. I wasn't possessed."
That should say 'container'. And I think the second correction should be capitalized. Also, Lysis really doesn't know how compatible humans are with the Embodiments.

"Good. And since our objectives don't contradict each other, what do you way to working together? If you object to the fact that I'm an alien, you can just coordinate with Kalmin. The Maltusians have contained Entities before. This is doable."
That should say 'say'.

"Don't be ridiculous. I've already sent a report home. Physicist-Lanterns will be sent to pick her up, and you'll need your full concentration on handling Parallax and making sure that we're not betraying you. And of course if I don't know that she's safe then I'll be focusing on other things as well."
I'm guessing Lysis isn't used to working with competent non-Qwardians?

"I need to borrow a yellow ring, afterwards. Kalmin refuses to make one until I give him Sinestro's head, and…" I look around. "Between the two of them, I'm not sure that Sinestro's worse, morally speaking."

"Borrow?"

Teamwork makes the dream work. Now I'm curious as to how Paul will get the other kinds of power rings.

This is like that Simpson's episode where they keep trying to fix the invasive animal problem by bringing in worse and worse animals.

(on the next arc, Darkest Night)
Paul: As I said before, Darkseid, we both have a common enemy. If we don't stop The Black Lanterns they will bring forthward an universe empty of life, with nothing to rule over. You can already see your hosts of parademons being subsumed unto their army.

Ring, time.

20th January 2013
18:19 GMT

Ugh.
Only about six hours lost. Not too bad, then. On the other hand, a motivated Entity with a mortal partner can do a lot of damage in that time. OL's going to have to move fast to catch up to them.

General broadcast.

"Jade?!"
But first: Priorities! :p

Scan everything.

Compliance.
Naturally, it recognises that he's being a little hyperbolic, and begins scanning from the local area out, I expect...

The air around me turns orange as scanners and sensors of every type I have in my database appears, the air seeming to hum with a dozen types of energetic emissions.

And message Dox.
No doubt involving a concise summary of what happened, and an 'oops' emoticon? :oops:

Compliance.

Okay, I didn't move while I was here. Jade has moved, and I've got no idea-.
Crap, someone ran off with her? But not Harrallax. What would they need her for, after all?

My ring shimmers. Darn-.

"Answer."
And here comes the "What the hell did you do this time?" rant from either Dox or Hinon...
OL: o_O "Did you... Just express Rage through an Orange Power Ring?"

A face-. That's not Dox. That's Weaponer Lysis.

"I see that my test subject has left. Are you still in possession of your mental faculties?"
And Lysis' involvement confirmed! Not that it was a stretch.

"Yes. What are you doing here?"

"Did you know that your species has a remarkable facility for surviving emotional stress?"
Surviving, yes. Enjoying their life afterwards, not so much... :(

"I haven't seen research that demonstrates that. And having access to a wealth of human psychiatric literature, I-."

"You deform but you don't crack. If my former master had tried something like this on Earth it would never have worked."
If he'd tried it on Earth, the local cape community would have risen up to kick his arse. In this universe's case, for trying to muscle in on their cushy operations. :p

I don't remember anything about her working with Sinestro in the comics, but I don't think they continued the characters from the Earth 2 series into the War of Light era.

"Shouldn't you be on Qward? As a Council-Member-."
Hooray for cosmic retcons... :rolleyes:

"I was a Council-Member, but that's become an empty position now. Qwarda-jin civilisation has collapsed. If I want to restore Qward then I need something new and powerful."

"Where's Jade?"
Oh, gee, Qward's having a little bit of a civil war? Good for you. :p

"In a spatial vacuole. I imagine that her armour has life-preservation systems, so the lack of fresh air won't be a problem so long as she isn't troubled by not being able to move. But as I said, your species are psychologically resilient."

I can sense spatial vacuoles, but she will probably notice and certainly will have a way to kill Jade if I don't play along.
Hell, she'll probably do some ninja meditation thing once she realises what's going on.

"Are you simply tormenting me, or-?"

"Of course I'm not! You are the one who unleashed the Parallax Entity on the universe!"
Funny, he wasn't the one marinating a perfectly suitable human host in fear for who knows how long... o_O

...Oh, yes, that would work so well. I suspect the actual result would be Parallax going 'Wut? Lulz no', eating her soul and fucking off.

Well, he just... OL'd at him for a few minutes. Honestly, you've met OL, how did you not expect something like this when he turned up? :rolleyes:

"Nothing much. Just a little about how fear works. As far as I can tell, once he had the space to organise his thoughts, he attained enlightenment. And then Parallax entered him. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was on or watching this planet already. I think Mister Harrolds just needed a little time alone in his own head to achieve that results."

"And now I have to wait until Parallax burns out its host and then hunt it down again."
...Ah. Evidently you have different ideas about how this sort of thing goes, do you?

"Mortal flesh is a poor container for an Entity. Without a ring to focus its power, the flesh will fall apart in a few tenths."
Sounds... Plausible. And logical, really. Mere flesh is not really designed to act as a lens for one seventh of the universe's emotional energy.

"For a possession?"

"Yes.""What?"
...Sadly, Humans have quite the advantage in that respect. Comes from being soaked in the Life Entity's energies.

"I merged with the Avarice Entity a while ago, and I showed no sign of physical decay at the end of it. Merged. I wasn't possessed."

"He still has his original motivations?"
Sharpened quite aggressively, but it seems so.

"Partially. He locked my mind in an illusion to try and make me feel fear. I broke out. I suspect that he's going to the matter universe to make it happen for real."

"That-. Why does he care about you?"
...Maybe he thinks of OL as a rival? I mean, OL basically does hold the Ophidian's heart...

"I don't know. A point of comparison, perhaps? Merging with Entities isn't something that happens very often. But that isn't important."

"Oh?"
Let's see: In the time you've been here: You and the Ophidian... Guy and Ion... And now Parallax and Not!Hal Jordan... I'd say that's abnormally frequent. :D

"You want Parallax contained somewhere where you can use it to make more rings. I want Parallax out of the way and not trying to do things that will terrify me, on the grounds that it's going to set back my work immensely. I have no particular objection to you making rings, on the grounds that Qwardian society is too messed up to use them in a concerted fashion."

She stares at me for a moment.
...And if OL should happen to be able to arrange a leasing contract for those Rings between Qward and NEMO... Well, who'll argue?

"What do you suggest?"

"Do you have a way to contain Parallax?"
Seems kind of foolhardy to go into this without some options, yes...

"I… Might. But if what you say about its relationship with the host is true, it would be easier for me to disrupt that bond."

"Good. And since our objectives don't contradict each other, what do you say to working together? If you object to the fact that I'm an alien, you can just coordinate with Kalmin. The Maltusians have contained Entities before. This is doable."
...I expect Kalmin will have questions. :mad: Once he calms down and stops smashing things. I expect his initial expletive will be audible in orbit. :p

And believe me, you want him focused on what you need, not what he wants..

"True. And you want nothing else?"

Ha! Indeed. After all, Sinestro's not a member of an omnicidal society of, well... Weaponers.

"Borrow?"

Aw, it took him a while, but he'll finally match the Renegade's Rings. x3

I bet Lysis is half-wondering if he did something to make her... Agreeable to his requests.

Ah, jolly co-operation wins out again. Well, half-heartedly jolly at the threat of annihilation at the podomeres of the giant Fear bug. Because once they're done messing with OL, I don't expect Harallax wouldn't turn their attention to the Weaponer who 'imprisoned' their human half. And if they couldn't find her easily, then let her whole race suffer for her. So...

Ah, in no time at all he, Lysis and Parallax will be work colleagues.

Hanging out at the water cooler, talking about trips they will never take, dreading to go back to their cubicles, their lifes and souls slowly dissolving into grey nothingness...

The sheer, mind numbing horror of it all will teach even Parallax to fear

Soon Paul's going to have his own entourage of evil teammate weaponers.

Interesting how Hallalax went for bugging Paul first, instead of attacking Jordan Harrold's enemies. Paulphidian seemed to go after what Paul wanted without regard for anything else

"For a possession?"

"Yes.""What?"

"I merged with the Avarice Entity a while ago, and I showed no sign of physical decay at the end of it. Merged. I wasn't possessed

You aren't exactly a normal person to begin with.

Plus, the decay may take a lot of time to finish and you weren't merged with the Ophidian long enough for it to affect you.

I'm guessing Lysis isn't used to working with competent non-Qwardians

I'm guessing the only way she acquires competent aliens is by kidnapping them.

The fear they have of dying a gruesome death probably makes their work a bit more difficult than normal.

Ah, in no time at all he, Lysis and Parallax will be work colleagues.

Hanging out at the water cooler, talking about trips they will never take, dreading to go back to their cubicles, their lifes and souls slowly dissolving into grey nothingness...

The sheer, mind numbing horror of it all will teach even Parallax to fear

Now I can't stop imagining him as being something like Colin Robinson.

Take the L by leaving Jade to die and leaving Earth consume by antilife? Weren't you the one saying Earth being consubed by antilife is more important than anything else?

Paul. This deal would give a qwardian data on Anti-Life. And on Darkseid, if he really is puppetting Bruno Mannheim.

Does this not concern Paul at all? He's seen some ways for people to mess with his ability to summon best snek, now he's going to help someone that's not an ally come up with another way? Oh Paul...

Paul. This deal would give a qwardian data on Anti-Life. And on Darkseid, if he really is puppetting Bruno Mannheim.

Does this not concern Paul at all? He's seen some ways for people to mess with his ability to summon best snek, now he's going to help someone that's not an ally come up with another way? Oh Paul...

This is far from the first time that Paul has helped people that he shouldn't have helped and that will eventually bite him in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back