• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

(Wrong?) Genre Savvy: The Questening

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

You're not sure when you realized that everything was wrong. Little details. Stuff subtly off...

Chibi-Reaper

D-Donations plz?
You're not sure when you realized that everything was wrong. Little details. Stuff subtly off, in the details. It was only something true if it was sufficiently described, and not always then: if something wasn't mentioned at all, it didn't really exist.

Nobody had come in or out, but there was still a note.

There was something disturbingly familiar about it. The letters were all pretty curves, that didn't quite fit.

"You're in a Quest Thread."

The truth was a lightning bolt through your brain. Character interaction, important people and faceless NPC's, the sound of dice rolling and fates being decided nearby all of the time, but never quite where you could see, the droning discontent of uncountable people arguing as they made decisions for you.

You were in a Quest Thread.

Funny as hell, it was the best news you'd ever had.

-----

Lucius Malfoy

harrypotterfull729731.jpg

1= Baseline human average.

Mind: 2.5
Body: 1
Charisma: 3
Luck: 0.5

Mana: 3
Wandcraft: 3.5

Perks:
-Silver Tongue: Unreliable +1 Charisma. Bribery can increase bonus likelihood in addition to bribery bonus, but cannot guarantee it.
-Silver Tongue: Flat +1 to Charisma.
-Rich. Like, filthy rich. Ludicrous wealth.
-Web of Slytherin Allies.
-Hot Blonde Wife.
-Sublime realization of the nature of Reality (You are In A Quest Thread)
-Communion with Beings of a Higher State Of Existence (voices in your head)

Anti-Perks:
-Suspicion of Law Enforcment.
-Tangle of Gryffindor Enemies.
-Personal enmity: Arthur Weasley et al.
-Web of Slytherin Allies will happily backstab you for personal gain.
-Branded Slave: Vol de Mort.
-Spoiled and entitled whiny little shit of a son.

THREE free Points.
+0.5 to a stat: Costs 1 Point.
Buy off an Anti-Perk for various results: Cost 2 Points.
Buy a Perk: Prices as listed.

Current available Perks:
In-Setting:
-Loyalty [Costs 1]
-Allies [Randomly selected, Costs 4]
Crossover:
-Random Element from series of choice [Costs 1dAll points]
-Veil of Death -> Dimensional Veil [Select series, costs 5]
Other:
-Plot-Hole use [Costs 3]

So, who are you? No no, you don't get to decide that.

A better question.

Where are you from?

---

[ ] Naruto
[ ] Harry Potter
[ ] Something Else?

Let's not get too out there. Won't be fun if I have to catch up on a new series to know what I'm doing.

[X] Harry Potter

Ive never played a quest that was harry potter without a cross.

[X] The Great Fairy Wars
- - [X] What do you mean there are non-fairies involved?!?
- - - - [X] Fine... Touhou

Carrnage said:
[X] Harry Potter

Ive never played a quest that was harry potter without a cross.

Pretty sure I saw you in the Riddle thing at some point...? Maybe not, I'm not going to check.

[X] Gantz

What? It's a terrible manga, but it runs entirely on rule of cool.

[X] Harry Potter

It's actually an excellent universe to exist in if you're evil. Which I sincerely hope we're going to be.

Plenty of available power, magical artifacts if you don't have any of your own, a hopelessly corrupt government, and incredibly naive and forgiving heroes. Anything short of megalomaniacally stupid evil and you'll tend to come out okay in any conflict, even then you'll have a good run before they put you down.

useless101 said:
It's actually an excellent universe to exist in if you're evil. Which I sincerely hope we're going to be.

Plenty of available power, magical artifacts if you don't have any of your own, a hopelessly corrupt government, and incredibly naive and forgiving heroes. Anything short of megalomaniacally stupid evil and you'll tend to come out okay in any conflict, even then you'll have a good run before they put you down.
*Ahem* ^Points at Quest Title.

...Yeah, I wouldn't bank on, well, any OOC/Meta-knowledge to help us here.

2/4 votes for HP? Alright then, if nothing changes.... Hmmmm~

[X] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part III, aka the only part everyone knows.

[X] Touhou

Last edited by a moderator:
Current Tally

[X] Harry Potter
- Carrnage, useless101
[X] Touhou
- Biigoh, Jiven
[X] Gantz
- Liam-don
[X] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part III, aka the only part everyone knows.
- FurikoMaru

In case it sways votes either to or away from something, HPMC is now confirmed as Lucius Malfoy.

Working with current spread at the moment....

Mind: 2.5
Body: 1
Charisma: 2-3
Luck: 0.5

Mana: 3
Wandcraft: 3.5

Perks:
-Silver-ish Tongue: Unreliable +1 Charisma. Bribery can increase bonus likelihood in addition to bribery bonus, but cannot guarantee it. Failure may botch charismatic attempts entirely.
-Rich. Like, filthy rich. Ludicrous wealth.
-Web of Slytherin Allies.
-Hot Blonde Wife.
-Sublime realization of the nature of Reality (You are In A Quest Thread)

Anti-Perks:
-Suspicion of Law Enforcment.
-Tangle of Gryffindor Enemies.
-Personal enmity: Arthur Weasley et al.
-Web of Slytherin Allies will happily backstab you for personal gain.
-Branded Slave: Vol de Mort.
-Spoiled and entitled whiny little shit of a son.

It was staggering, how simple everything was.

(Branded slave? Fuck that.)

Everything wasn't real. It was all a childrens story, a game. Darkness gathered and threatened to blot out the light, but of course evil never won for real, and so a prophecied boy-hero defeated the ruler of darkness and restored peace to the land, getting bonus points for having done so as a bloody infant not out of diapers yet of all the ridiculous codswallop.

(He was a death eater. You know.)

Nothing really mattered, it was all... all background fluff to set the stage of an infantile play.

(we should buy that off, at least. How many points does that cost? Where is the damn manual...)

And of course, you were no more than one more faceless minion.

Well, we'll see how long that lasts.

(Right, we have five points, we qualify for.... in-setting, we can buy Silver Tongue to over-write its shittier cousin, for two points.)

(Hey, can we buy off Draco?)

(We can buy Loyalty for one point, partially wipe the Slytherin chronic backstabbing tendency. Or we can pay four points for a random new set of allies.)

(What about a nonsense crossover element?)

(Nobody wants a bullshit crossover element.)

(I dunno. I could go for a bullshit crossover element. That veil could be a good mechanic.)

(That's fanon, dickcheese. We go through that, we don't end up in never-never land, we die.)

(No, look, there's a fucking mechanic... it costs five points to set it up as a sort of a worldy-gate thing.... though, uh, that's all we have.)

(Plot-Hole advantages sound interesting.)

..... You calmly take a stiff drink of brandy, trying to ignore what you can only call the faint and half-comprehensible drone of a gaggle of arguing imbeciles.

---

[ ] Lucius action.
[ ] Build action/adjustment.

[X] Lucius action
[X] Get rid of the Death Eater mark. Cut off part of your arm and heal it, make sure to have a VERY large stock of healing draughts on hand.
- - [X] Go to the Ministry of Magic, work out a deal with the Minister.
- - - - [X] You were FORCED into slavery by spells; you know one of them was Imperious, you're not so sure about the others.
- - - - - - [X] Offer to sell out the other Death Eaters you knew

[X] Build action/adjustment.
- - [X] Buy Silver Tongue [TRUE] - 2pts
- - [X] Save that 3 player point~

The death eater mark doesn't matter for several years.
Let's wait with that.

Edit:
People may want to read the first post now again, if they haven't already done so.
Char adjutments are explained there.

Here's also a somewhat edited log of the chat. May update it later.
(2:25:11 PM) Chibi-Reaper: You aren't actively wanted.
(2:25:29 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Draco is ~10, if that helps.
(2:26:12 PM) Bii_Nyan: but is this before or after the witch hunt for Death Eaters?
(2:30:48 PM) Pipeman: If Draco is about 10 Voldemort has been dead for about ten years.
(2:31:10 PM) Pipeman: Why would we do this _now_?
(2:31:22 PM) Chibi-Reaper: You want the Dark Mark gone, you only have to pay 2 points as an OMNIPOTENT PLAYER action.
(2:31:44 PM) Chibi-Reaper: And Lucius gets to watch as it just sort of puffs into vapor and floats away.
(2:31:51 PM) Bii_Nyan: !!!!
(2:31:55 PM) Bii_Nyan: wait....
(2:32:09 PM) Bii_Nyan: But what's the draw back on using player points?
(2:32:36 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Well, for one, they aren't easy to get.
(2:33:25 PM) Chibi-Reaper: In theory, anyway. Succeed fantastically well at something and you might get a point at the MORE OMNIPONENT GM discretion.
(2:33:28 PM) Pipeman: Can we still swap out background perks later on or is most of this stuff permanent after this?
(2:33:49 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Basically, you can spend points at any time.
(2:34:13 PM) Chibi-Reaper: AND. Sometimes perks or anti-perks just.... sort of /happen/.
(2:34:14 PM) Pipeman: So we can retroactively change the past.
(2:34:19 PM) Pipeman: Nice.
(2:35:11 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Like if you go to the pub, get drunk off your tits, and loudly insult peoples mothers, you can end up making enemies you'll have to buy off later! Or vice versa, getting perks with story effort, without paying a point.
(2:35:48 PM) Bii_Nyan: *nodnods*
(2:36:36 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Similarly, the WHOLE WORLD doesn't change all the time.
(2:37:16 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Like, you buy off the mark? You /were/ still a death eater, you just don't have the mark any more and aren't obliged to suck voldie's scaly cock or what have you.
(2:37:52 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Or you buy off Gryff enmity... they still dislike you, but you aren't total scum of the earth, unless there's something /personal/ going on between you all.
(2:38:14 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Buy off Draco and he becomes significantly less of a private disappointment to you.
(2:38:26 PM) Chibi-Reaper: But he doesn't just disappear.
(2:38:44 PM) Chibi-Reaper: That sort of thing.
(2:39:02 PM) Pipeman: What exactly does loyality do?
(2:39:20 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Makes people less likely to betray you for any reason.
(2:39:43 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Doesn't totally overwhelm Slytherin self-priority, but it's a start. And go ahead.
(2:39:49 PM) Pipeman: And getting rid of Web of Slytherin in contrast?
(2:40:27 PM) Chibi-Reaper: The anti-perk? That also makes them less likely to betray you, but only them in specific. Doesn't do a thing for, say, puffs.
(2:40:28 PM) Bii_Nyan: num
(2:40:36 PM) Pipeman: k
(2:40:49 PM) Pipeman: Loyality is cheaper anyways.
(2:41:58 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Random crossover element thing could be ultra useful and cheap, or incredibly useless and expensive.
(2:42:58 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Like, you might get Saber's excalibur for one.... or you might get Soul Eater's excalibur for everything you have and not be able to bear having him around at all as his voice rubs sandpaper aaaaalll over your brain, for all the points you have.
(2:43:33 PM) Pipeman: Couldn't we just cheat by getting 0 or 1 points before buying that one?
(2:44:30 PM) Chibi-Reaper: You have to have at least one point. That aside, good catch! ... yeah, you don't want to do that while you're sitting on a huge pile of points.
(2:47:12 PM) Bii_Nyan: Chibi-Reaper... how many points to BUY more resources; "discover" to be legit inheritor of Black vault/wealth/properties?
(2:49:50 PM) Chibi-Reaper: Well, as far as the Black stuff, Sirius is currently incarcerated and didn't have the right to write a will determining where all of that went when he wasn't.
(2:50:46 PM) Chibi-Reaper: So, basically, if he just.... /happened/ to die, either all of it would go to one of the three black sisters, or all of it would be divided between them.

Also vote:

[X] Build action/adjustment.
- - [X] Silver Tongue [Costs 2]
- - [X] Loyalty [Costs 1]
- - [X] Buy off an Anti-Perk Suspicion of Law Enforcment [Costs 2]

Silver Tongue because the crappy version is so unreliable.
Loyalty mitigates both the Slytherin anti-perk and gives us more non-Slytherin allies, which are way better anyways, because they're not obviously evil.
And getting rid of the suspicion allows us to act far more freely, which we probably want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plot-Hole exploit sounds pretty cool.

Or it would if I remembered them.

[X] Build adjustment
-->[X] Silver Tongue [Costs 2]
-->[X] Buy off Anti-Perk 'Son I am Disappoint' [Costs 2]

Also guys... we wanna conserve at least 1 player point. just in case~

Okay, I have a general plan for what Lucius will be doing-

[X] Your son is going to go to Hogwarts in a year- You HAVE been considering Durmstrang, but quite frankly you don't have the same pull there as you do here. While you could just prepare at the last minute, like the muggleborns... Haha, who are you kidding? Not happening.
-->[X] Inquire with Severus what exactly is expected from entering first years. It's a good excuse to talk with the man, you have been out of touch with him for a while.

You know what? Fuck it. You can now only buy or buy off one thing at a time.

So, that's silver tongue, leaving you with three points.

No other Lucius votes, so I guess you'll be discussing things you already know with Draco's godfather, who you actually speak with semi-regularly.

Two secs, have a roll.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 89, total 89[/blockquote]

Your body moves almost on its own as you Floo Severus up from the castle, already cringing at the knowledge that you're going to make a little bit of a fool of yourself.

(no, see, this is a justified action. Shut up. None of you had any ideas, did you?)

Thankfully, Narcissa can easily accomodate another table-setting.

Is what you would say if Narcissa had ever cooked a day in her life, and it wasn't elves handling the food, and you couldn't conjure plates and tableware from nothing, or expand the table to fit another seat. If it wasn't fantastically large to begin with. Because you are rich and live in a mansion.

"Ah, Severus." You say, almost genially, as he takes a seat.

You may well have to have that chair burned once the man leaves. Really, he's a close friend of the family and all of that, but hint as you might the state of his hair suggests the man never bathes or showers.

You spend great sacks of gold on every winter solstice and birthday that passes on fine shampoo, and you suspect he just stuffs it all in a box somewhere.

"I'll admit, I am somewhat.... surprised, to recieve the standard monthly invitation... two weeks early, I believe?"

"Did you bring me a gift?" Draco interrupts, too eagerly to be seemly.

Severus arches one eye, very slowly, until Draco releases his grip on the older wizards' robes and ceases all but trying to rummage through the man's pockets in his haste.

"Have you finished the last one already?" Severus queries.

".... No." Draco grudgingly admits, blatantly sulking.

Of course not. It was, like every gift Severus has given, a book, and the boy abhors reading in his free time when he could be badgering you into buying him another racing broom to waste heaping sacks full of gold on crashing into the lake when you are trying to get your wife into the mood to make a less distressing infant.

You hurry the conversation along.

Fortunately, Severus overlooks the fact that you're re-hashing information you were already well familiar with even before the last time you went over it with him, with the occasional sidelong and meaningful look at your son, now petulantly stabbing at his vegetables with a fork, hinting you have had reason... alright, further reason, of late, to believe that he's going to be an embarrasment to you somehow, a year from now, when he enters the public eyes.

Severus, for his part, grumbles about how next year is also going to be the day that the Potter Spawn starts its schooling, but to be fair, he's only lamented this fact and groaned about only having a certain number of years, months, and days until that date since he became Hogwarts potions instructor in the first place.

(Yeah, this is boring as fuck. Can we make him do anything interesting, maybe?)

---

[ ] Lucius action?
[ ] Build? (3 points remaining)

[X] Government. Talk to it. Bribe it.
-[X] See about asking our good friend Fudge to start taking a personal interest into the hiring and promotion practices of the local law enforcement.

Time to put that upgraded talky-talk perk to good use.

The Law may be suspicious of us, but maybe we can muzzle it. Something worth looking into anyway.

People who are loyal to us on some level would be ideal, but incompetents or sycophants would work if we only want them to leave us alone. While we do whatever nefarious things we'll be getting up to.

We are going to do nefarious things right?

[X] Smoking hot red-headed mistress: Amelia Bones.
Lots of angry sex and government secrets spilled under the sheets.

Is it too late for Draco to be tossed off a cliff, as the lions do?

I don't know, maybe Gryffs are just negligent parents.

[X] Moving on. Severus, I've been thinking, when was the last time you took a sabbatical for research and potions development? Life is too short to teach dunderheads full time. (Possibly something to make the boy less of a disappointment. Tincture of Snake, Essence of Lion... an improvement on Baruffio's Brain Elixir? Something?)
-[X] Horace could be induced to sub in for a time... (Someone a little less likely to bias that young protagonist against Slytherin.)

[X] I've been thinking of introducing something new at the next board meeting. That groundskeeper savage is trying to be made a professor again, I think I may stop blocking his application. Weekly trips into the Forbidden Forest are probably good for a growing boy. Help thin out the herd. (And that janitor fellow... what was his... Filch, yes. He tells me the lash is good for discipline. And he has all these traditional implements, the rack, the iron-maiden... tradition is good.)

[X] Moving on. Severus, I've been thinking, when was the last time you took a sabbatical for research and potions development? Life is too short to teach dunderheads full time. (Possibly something to make the boy less of a disappointment. Tincture of Snake, Essence of Lion... an improvement on Baruffio's Brain Elixir? Something?)
-[X] Horace could be induced to sub in for a time... (Someone a little less likely to bias that young protagonist against Slytherin.)

[X] I've been thinking of introducing something new at the next board meeting. That groundskeeper savage is trying to be made a professor again, I think I may stop blocking his application. Weekly trips into the Forbidden Forest are probably good for a growing boy. Help thin out the herd. (And that janitor fellow... what was his... Filch, yes. He tells me the lash is good for discipline. And he has all these traditional implements, the rack, the iron-maiden... tradition is good.)

I am okay with this.

Wasn't Hagrid blocked for not having a wand or be considered a wizard anymore?

Just curious but the point system? How do we get more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back