• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A 2nd Chance (Honkai Impact 3rd/Worm) [re-write]

As for the reproduction - what exactly do you mean?

Like: if you release one honkainium in a populated earth without any previous honkai and come back in a year, will you end up with negligible honkai levels everywhere, or will it multiply and end up with a bunch of honkainium everywhere.

It'd also depend on whether the honkai could turn onto beasts I think?

As for the reproduction - what exactly do you mean? I might be misinterpreting your question, and would rather not make a mistake when answering.
I think they mean how honkai spreads without a "Will" (MoW or CoF type capital H Honkai, I guess).
Honkai is all over the place, seemly without a "Will" and probably also with it (bubble worlds, alternate worlds*, planets outside the Solar System**, etc)

*It's very curious that honkai seemly doesn't exist in the Star Rail cluster of worlds outside Welt. I would guess it may have something to do with Qliphot's Wall, but the fact Honkai seems to be vastly older than the Aeons makes that not exactly match.

**Considering Cocoon has been on the Solar System for a billion+ years, I find it very probably that the Honkai that attacked the Sugars before they were attacked by the Sky People was not Cocoon but a different one entirely, on account of how the Sky People and their creator Sa (a Venusian survivor) avoid the hell out of Cocoon of Finality.
Finality was done with Venus 250 million years ago, and the Sugars were already on their Candy House during the Jurassic, which means the Sky People are at least 145 million years old. So there must have been a lot of honkai they have been eating over the years.

Or literally in this chapter :)

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the lore though; does Honkai reproduce automatically or does it need to be driven by an outside Will in order to propagate?

Depends on what you mean.

Honkai Energy itself isn't self generating if that's what you're asking. It needs to come from somewhere else. That 'somewhere else' being Imaginary Space and currently the only person with a connection to that is Sirin.

If instead you're asking about Honkai Beasts/Zombies, then they only form with sufficiently high concentrations of Honkai Energy. I think they would behave mostly normally too even without a Will or some other Higher Entity directing them. Hard to say completely since we only have a single set up to examine in canon but barring unexpected circumstances I would expect Honkai Beasts to behave mostly as we've come to expect.

I think they would behave mostly normally too even without a Will or some other Higher Entity directing them.
This basically, Honkai is still hostile as hell even without a Will telling it what to do as seen from the bubble worlds Captain goes to and the worlds Su observes.
...Well, except maybe that one bubble world in which people tamed Honkai Beasts to use in pokemon fights, but that one is just weird. Seele having a Chariot as a pet is just funny tho.

Like: if you release one honkainium in a populated earth without any previous honkai and come back in a year, will you end up with negligible honkai levels everywhere, or will it multiply and end up with a bunch of honkainium everywhere.

It'd also depend on whether the honkai could turn onto beasts I think?
Ah, no. Like people above have already said - unless there's something to allow it to manifest, it won't just spontaneously pop up somewhere. Even if Sirin went on a rampage like in 2E, only the areas she directly affected would've been 'irradiated'. It won't show up on the other side of the globe for no reason.

Ah, no. Like people above have already said - unless there's something to allow it to manifest, it won't just spontaneously pop up somewhere. Even if Sirin went on a rampage like in 2E, only the areas she directly affected would've been 'irradiated'. It won't show up on the other side of the globe for no reason.
Not unless there's a driving intelligence behind the Honkai that is, such as the Will of Honkai or Finality. Then things get less apparently causal. Though this is (should be at least...) strictly theoretical for this story as there isn't any driving intelligence other than Sirin around.

Or literally in this chapter :)

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the lore though; does Honkai reproduce automatically or does it need to be driven by an outside Will in order to propagate?
From what I'm aware, it doesn't need any will attached to do stuff. Though it won't generate any Herrschers without one, the energy itself is all that's needed for stuff to occur as far as I'm aware.

Edit: well this wasn't needed, bruh why does it only show those comments AFTER I put this here, I only even showed up a few minutes before this wtf...

Last edited:
Chapter 5
Mary had rarely seen Carol Dallon so stressed out. Sure, the woman always did her best to remain calm and professional, especially when it came to anything cape related, but this was on a whole other level.

The woman was pacing around the shelter's cafeteria, going over the file that Alan had prepared and muttering under her breath. She wasn't sure what exactly the woman was thinking, but Mary could guess. There existed a real possibility that reading about the girls' situation made her own trauma flare up.

"…Carol? Are you alright?"

"No, Mary." Brandish turned to her, her usually calm voice betraying her uneasiness. "I'm not. Alan has given me a general idea of what those girls have gone through, and you know better than anyone else that I'm not okay with that. I've asked Amy to come over and help the girls."

"That's… That might not be a good idea," Mary ventured. "They're on edge as it is. And even if they did manage to accept Amy's help, you can't expect the girl to "fix" them. Unless she spontaneously learned how to heal psychological trauma, I doubt she'll be able to do much. And Alan has mentioned that he's already contacted a therapist."

"…and that's a wonderful idea, Mary. Because the PRT will totally respect a civilian's opinion over their own!" Carol's voice grew more and more irritated. "You know that they'll ignore it and try to "help" the girls in their own way."

"They are still the ones with full governmental support," Mary sighed. "And a qualified therapist isn't exactly a civilian. Not for something like this."

"Which is important, yes, but may matter little. The PRT isn't run by parahumans, and that makes a world of difference in how they view matters."

Mary didn't want to argue with Carol, knowing the woman's overall opinion regarding therapy. In truth, she partially agreed with the woman. She agreed with Alan. But she was still a former member of the organization, and that meant that she was slightly biased.

"What do you, as a lawyer, suggest they do, then?" She asked. "If what Sarah told us is true, they're both homeless. Sending a kid that triggered back to the parents that caused it is out of the question. Where are they supposed to live, that's safer than the PRT building, surrounded by like-minded kids?"

"Like minded?" Carol repeated, looking at Hannah as if she'd grown a second head. "There is nothing similar between them and the Wards! What they need is a safe haven where they can adjust in their own time, like the shelter they're staying at."

"A homeless shelter is hardly a good place for children to be at," Mary pointed out, raising an eyebrow. Carol's face twitched, emotion rolling behind the woman's eyes. Her mouth tightened and for a moment she'd looked like she was about to blow up, only to suddenly turn around and head for the kitchen.

"I'll make some coffee. Alan should be back with the girls soon."
Mary couldn't help but smile. Despite everything, Carol still cared.

--------

Alan couldn't help but notice that both Sarah and Sirin seemed very tense, with the purple haired girl refusing to let go of her friend's hand for even a moment. As the three of them entered the cafeteria, the man felt Carol's gaze move over them, examining the girls.

"…you must be Sarah and Sirin. I'm Carol Dallon, Alan's friend."

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Dallon," Sarah replied quietly, her voice sounding weak.

"Hello," Sirin said, her own voice quiet and almost monotone. Carol didn't seem to mind, instead opting to sit down by the table.

"Alan has told me a lot about you girls. He also gave me your files. How about we discuss the options that you have?"

"Options?" Sarah looked at Carol, confusion written all over her face.

"Yes. The most important one is where you'll be staying. As I'm sure you're aware, this shelter isn't suitable for long-term residence, especially for children. I know that the PRT are willing to offer you a place within their custody-"

"We're not going to the PRT," Sirin cut in, her voice growing colder. Alan felt Sarah tense up again.

"…I can understand why you would think so, Sirin, but is it truly something you both want and not a knee jerk reaction? Personally, I would never send children to PRT if I had any other choice. They have a tendency to treat parahumans as assets, and that's not a healthy environment to be in. But they are also the governmental body that is fully supported. So, even though Alan has already offered guardianship over you, and a place to stay at, but I'd like to hear your own opinion. Would you prefer to stay at the shelter and wait for the PRT or go with Alan?"

Sarah didn't say anything, opting to simply look at Sirin, who bit her lip.

"...we want to stay with Alan."

"I figured. In that case, the only thing I'd have to do is to talk to the PRT and convince them to leave you alone. I'm sure Alan has already mentioned that I'm a superhero, yes?"
Sirin's eyes lit up, making Carol smile.

"Good. My hero name is Brandish. I'm a leader of New Wave, a group of heroes who don't believe in secret identities. If you'd like our help, I think we could help you live a stable life, while still enjoying the company of other parahumans."

Sarah blinked, before looking at Alan intently,then at Sirin, as if searching for confirmation. Alan didn't blame her. Even though she had no reason to trust Carol, it was still hard to argue with a superhero when one was a child.

Or perhaps she was using her powers to figure something out.

"...can we think about it?" Sarah finally spoke up, her voice uncertain. "It's a lot to take in."

"Of course. Alan has my number, so feel free to call me when you're ready."

"Thank you," Alan nodded, before turning towards Sirin. "How about we go back upstairs? We'll let Carol and Mary talk in private, and maybe make a few calls. Is that fine with you girls?"
Sirin simply nodded, still not letting go of Sarah's hand. Alan could swear that he saw Carol smile.

--------

"She seemed nice, but there's a lot of baggage," Sarah said, once Alan had closed the door to his office behind them. Sirin just nodded, walking slowly to the sofa. Sarah could feel something move inside her. Power, waiting to be unleashed. Power that would ensure their continued freedom.
She needed to find a way to control it.

"Yes, she did. Carol has always been very professional when it comes to Cape business. I'm sure she'll want you to meet the rest of New Wave –they're decent people. Now, how about we go get you two new clothes, while Carol and Mary talk?"

Sarah turned around, surprised.

"But the PRT-"

"Carol will deal with them." Alan told them, trying his best to be reassuring. "They won't bother you girls anymore. And besides, you both really need showers. Your hair is a mess, and I'm sure you'd feel better making decisions clean.. I'll try to contact a local clothing store, so we'll get you a change of clothes and some hygiene products. Does that sound okay?"

Sarah blinked. She felt Sirin grab her arm, before looking her in the eyes. The purple haired girl's eyes were positively glowing with emotion.

"...alright."

--------

As Alan closed the door behind him, Carol couldn't help but let out a sigh. This one was a sigh of relief. The girls weren't as bad as she expected them to be, but that didn't change the fact that it was difficult to look at them.

Carol wasn't sure whether it was her own past trauma, or the fact that they were children, but being around Sirin and Sarah made her uneasy. She could see herself in them, and she could feel their pain.

It was almost overwhelming.

"…what do you think about them?" Mary asked, causing Brandish to close her eyes.

"…they're in a bad place, Mary. Alan has no idea how much, and I don't plan on telling him. But I know how they feel. I've seen Amy act the same way Sarah did when she met me. And Sirin… she's something else."

"From what I've learned from them, she is from Belarus," Mary noted, causing Carol to frown.

"Belarus?"

"Yes. Will this whole... Does the international angle make it more difficult?"

"Perhaps. The biggest hurdle is Sarah Livesey, if I'm being honest. Her parents had put out missing posters back in Sacramento, so getting her emancipated would be the first thing to do. You'll need to look into getting her a G.E.D. Only after that can we talk about adoption," Carol pulled out her phone as it started ringing, opening it for a brief second to see Alan's name on the screen, before hanging up.

"Until then, Sarah and Sirin will have to stay here."

"The PRT-"

"Will do nothing, Mary. Alan is right. They have no legal grounds to take the girls in, and New Wave is far more qualified. Just let me handle this, and you focus on keeping the shelter running. I'll have Amy and the others come by tomorrow to meet with the girls."

"…will they be able to help them, Carol?"

"I hope so, Mary. Now, let's discuss our strategy for the meeting with their lawyers."

--------

Alan couldn't help but worry. As much as he trusted Carol, the PRT was still a significant force, and they had a habit of doing whatever it took to protect the world from capes. Even if they were registered.

The man slowly opened the door to his office, only to find Sarah and Sirin sitting on his sofa. The purple haired girl was resting her head on her friend's shoulder, clearly exhausted.

"Sorry that I took so long. We have about two hours before PRT arrives, so who's up to get some new clothes?"

Almost immediately, Sarah perked up, causing Sirin to open her eyes. Alan smiled.

"…are we going outside?" Sarah spoke up, her voice full of hesitation and just a hint of excitement.

"Of course. Unless you want to keep wearing the same thing for the meeting with lawyers?"

Alan wasn't sure whether Sirin was laughing or simply gasping, but the sight of her smiling made him relax.

"Alright, girls. Let's go shopping."

--------

Getting clothes was a strange experience. For one, Sirin had no idea what to wear. She didn't care, of course, but Sarah kept insisting on getting something other than hoodies. In the end, under Sarah's insistence, Sirin was put into a button-up striped blouse, a black pencil skirt, purple socks and heels, with a purple bow tie to finish off the outfit. The blonde had insisted that it look good with Sirin's admittedly unusual hair color.

Alan wondered if Sarah had a future in fashion, as the outfit did come together well. The heels did seem a bit much, but Sirin could always switch to flat shoes in the future.

Sarah herself, to Alan's initial surprise, opted to go for a rather boyish look, going for a white shirt, a navy blue vest, khaki pants, and white sneakers. Alan had to admit that she looked good in it, even if her hair still needed to be fixed.

As the man paid for the clothes, with a promise to return the tags, he noticed Sarah grabbing Sirin's hand and moving closer to the girl.

"We still have some time to kill, so how about visiting a hairdresser?" Alan suggested, noticing Sirin's smile.

"Can we?" the girl asked, her voice hopeful. Alan smiled. Finally, something to get them out of their shells.

--------

The hairdresser proved to be a good idea. Sarah could feel something move inside her as the hairdresser was trimming Sirin's hair. Something that, once again, felt overwhelming.

"…can you do something like that for my hair?" Sarah found herself asking as she looked at her friend's unruly and incredibly long hair being gathered into a ponytail that made it seem shorter, a question that made the woman nod in response.

"Of course, honey. Do you have something in mind?"

"...something simple."

"I'll take your word for it. Would you like me to dye your hair purple as well?"

Sirin's laugh made Sarah smile.

As it turned out, they returned just in time to see a dark-red Honda CR-V drive up to the shelter.A woman dressed in a business suit and carrying a legal folder stepped out of it. Parking the car, Alan walked around the car to open the door for the girls, who looked at the woman intently.

"Girls, go inside, please. I'll go talk to that woman," he said, placing his hands on their shoulders.

"...is she with the PRT?" Sirin asked, her voice cold.

"Not exactly. She's their lawyer. I'll go talk to her. They didn't bring any troops for the show of force, huh?" the man mumbled to himself, as the girls quickly headed inside the shelter. As the door closed behind them, Alan turned towards the woman.

"Mr. McIntyre?" the woman asked. At Alan's nod, she went on. "My name is Samantha Reynolds, I represent the PRT in the matter of Sarah Livesey and Sirin Krylova."

"Samantha, then. Let's head inside, shall we?"

--------

The girls' meeting with the lawyer was… odd.

Miss Reynolds was a stern-looking woman, dressed in an all-black business suit that matched the color of her hair. She didn't seem unfriendly, but both Sarah and Sirin couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong.

Miss Reynolds, thankfully, didn't make them talk about their triggers, instead opting to simply discuss their status. Sarah couldn't help but notice that Miss Reynolds was frowning at Alan's claim that both she and Sirin were his wards.

"…so, if I'm hearing this correctly, you, Mr. McIntyre, a non-parahuman, are applying for the role of their legal guardian?"

"We are aware of the difficulties regarding Livesey's legal status," Carol replied calmly, looking directly into the woman's eyes. As had been agreed prior to the meeting, she'd do the bulk of the talking.It would avoid any comments that could complicate matters. "Sarah's emancipation is the top priority, as I'm sure PRT will agree."

"And how exactly does adopting Sirin Krylova fit into that plan, Ms. Dallon?" Samantha raised an eyebrow.

"Alan will become their legal guardian, meaning that they will live together, away from the PRT. They've already made their decision," Carol replied, with no sign of hesitation.

"…so you're saying that both Livesey and Krylova will live together with a single man, who, at least in the eyes of law, will be their sole caretaker?" Miss Reynolds asked , frowning. Carol could feel Mary tense up, while Alan remained silent.

"The PRT knows better than to imply that Alan McIntyre is anything less than trustworthy. He has helped countless people in his career. I'm sure Miss Livesey and Miss Krylova will be safe and supported in his care," Carol could feel Sarah looking at her. The girl was probably trying to use her powers to check something.

"The PRT has a responsibility to these girls. Placing them in the custody of a single man, who has had no experience in dealing with parahuman children and their needs-"

"The PRT has no responsibilities towards them, nor a right to them. I'm sure you're aware how little in the way of resources have been allocated towards supporting parahumans from abusive backgrounds." Carol cut in, her voice icy. "Now, Miss Livesey and Miss Krylova are minors, and Alan McIntyre has shown nothing but concern and care towards them since they arrived at this shelter. Upon becoming their legal guardian, he has also agreed that they will be under the direct supervision of New Wave, making the matter of his inexperience with parahumans moot.

"New Wave has no official-"

"They don't. But Livesey and Krylova will reside in Brockton Bay, under Alan's guardianship, which the PRT has no grounds to question. I'm sure the courts will agree with me when it comes to their wellbeing. Now, will you try to insist that the PRT is more suitable, or will you focus on Livesey's emancipation, so the girls will finally have a chance to have a normal life?"
Miss Reynolds bit her lip, before standing up.

"The PRT will contact you later today."

--------

That evening, Sarah couldn't sleep. She was too focused on the events that happened. Her life had changed in an instant, and there was no going back.

Sirin was asleep next to her, snuggling closer as if trying to feel safe. Sarah could hear Alan talking to Brandish downstairs, while Mary was in the kitchen, helping prepare food for the shelter's residents.

Carefully, she climbed out of the folding sofa that acted as a bed and replaced herself with a pillow for

Sirin to latch onto. For all the horrible things and, if her power was correct, monstrous power that the girls possessed, she was still a child. A brave, scary child that she'd never leave alone, for both their safety.

Carefully walking out of the room and closing the door behind her, Sarah headed towards the stairs, from where Alan and Carol's voices could be heard.

"-and that's everything, Carol. Thank you for coming, I mean it. Your help was invaluable."

"Just doing my job, Alan. But you should hold your thanks for when this is dealt with once and for all."

Taking a deep breath, Sarah released the hold over her power, allowing the stream of information to come pouring in.

'Carol Dallon is angry. Repressing it to remain professional.. Alan McIntyre is nervous. Worried about Sirin. Worried about you.

Sarah blinked. Her power was telling her what they felt, even without her having to look at them. Was this normal?

Carol has had personal experience with situations similar to yours. Wants to help as much as she can. Threatened the PRT, believes they won't pursue the matter. Intends to do more to ensure you and Sirin are safe.

"…what can I do to repay you?"

"...keep caring. New Wave will support you as much as we can, but you and Mary are the ones they trust."

Carol believes that Alan's actions will help you. Cares for your future. Cares deeply.

Taking a step back, Sarah almost jumped when Alan spoke again.

"…do you think Sarah and Sirin could be like Amy?"

Carol Dallon is uncomfortable. Feel conflicted about Amy. Doesn't want Sarah and Sirin to be in the same situation.

"I hope they'll have a brighter future. Now, if you'll excuse me, Alan, I should get going. You should tell Mary I said goodbye."

Clamping down on her power, Sarah quickly turned around, heading back to the old storage room that was repurposed into her and Sirin's bedroom. As she walked inside, she could immediately tell that her absence had been noticed, but Sirin didn't bother getting up, probably sensing her through whatever spatial power she possessed.

"...what did you find out?" Sirin mumbled. Sarah sat down next to her on the bed.

"Nothing groundbreaking," the blonde felt a small smile tug at her lips. "But Brandish…I think she really cares. She's going to do something to keep us safe."

"Good," Sirin murmured. Then her arms came up, and she dragged Sarah back into the bed, falling asleep quickly after.

For the first time in months, neither girl's dreams were plagued with screams.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

All of my thanks to Snowfire for beta-ing! You are a precious person and must be tresured.

Last edited:
...huh
Kinda weird to have a story where the main character literally has not actively chose to do anything really.
I wonder what Sarah is picking up on Sirin. Also what people think about Sirin's anime hair? I guess its probably just like "this person obviously has powers but we can't prove it".

...huh
Kinda weird to have a story where the main character literally has not actively chose to do anything really.
I wonder what Sarah is picking up on Sirin. Also what people think about Sirin's anime hair? I guess its probably just like "this person obviously has powers but we can't prove it".
"Ah, yes, the completely natural purple hair that somehow styles part of itself into a cat-ears-like shape. We have dismissed those claims."
Yeah that gonna be funny.

Still easier to explain than the Seeles' double-tone hair.

"Ah, yes, the completely natural purple hair that somehow styles part of itself into a cat-ears-like shape. We have dismissed those claims."
Yeah that gonna be funny.

Still easier to explain than the Seeles' double-tone hair.
What would be easier to explain? Sirin's hair, or her eyes. Purple hair, or gold eyes with weird almost crosshair pupils.

...huh
Oh, just you wait.
I wonder what Sarah is picking up on Sirin.
Who knows, we might even find out sometimes soon :)
Also what people think about Sirin's anime hair? I guess its probably just like "this person obviously has powers but we can't prove it".
Considering cape culture and everything being a thing, people can think that the kid randomly asked her parents to dye her hair to look like... some cartoon/anime princess?

people can think that the kid randomly asked her parents to dye her hair to look like... some cartoon/anime princess?

That makes a decent bit of sense for casual observation, but anybody who stays around Sirin long and notices that she doesn't ever go to get her hair dyed (not to mind, Sarah) would start to be suspicious of it.
I guess there could always be the "bonesaw be playing around" excuse / tinkertech.

The pupils are even weirder, since they aren't dark... which kind of has the question of "how the hell is she seeing out of them when 90% of the orange light is reflected"? Maybe she just sees the world in blue colors only or something, that'd be kinda hilarious.

I actually wonder what Sirin thinks about most people having really boring hair colors and things in this universe though.

Last edited:
I actually wonder what Sirin thinks about most people having really boring hairstyles and things in this universe though.
From what we saw of Babylon - a lot of people in HI3rd/other orphans had regular/normal hairstyles. It's just the colours that are sometimes off. Sirin's just the most obvious one.

This is the calm before the storm, you guys realize that right? The moment she uses her Herrscher powers in any significant capacity stuff is gonna majorly go to shit, even by worm standards.
And she's in BB with a gang fully aware of her, so you can bet the others are gonna find out shortly if they haven't already. There is no way she won't have to put down a rabid cape who doesn't know their place.

From what we saw of Babylon - a lot of people in HI3rd/other orphans had regular/normal hairstyles. It's just the colours that are sometimes off. Sirin's just the most obvious one.
Sorry about the misleading sentence, I edited it.
I kinda wonder how the hair colors work though? Like could Sirin's mom have blue hair and her father red hair and they mix hues? Or it might be just additional genes so you inherit only one (and maybe there's a chance of combining both parent's hair colors in like seeles hair.)
But this is getting a bit off topic.

Sorry about the misleading sentence, I edited it.
I kinda wonder how the hair colors work though? Like could Sirin's mom have blue hair and her father red hair and they mix hues? Or it might be just additional genes so you inherit only one (and maybe there's a chance of combining both parent's hair colors in like seeles hair.)
But this is getting a bit off topic.
Eh, I'm always happy whenever discussions happen. They give me motivation. We actually saw Sirin's mother.
So we know for a fact that she got amber/golden eyes from her mother. Her father probably had the purple-something hair?

Tbh I have ended up in using qq as a notification center to know if this fic updated as I'm lazy to watch it on spacebattles
Thx for fic btw

Chapter 6
Alan McIntyre was no stranger to dealing with bureaucracy, but even then, the speed with which Sarah Livesey's emancipation proceedings had gone left him dumbfounded. Within two weeks, the blonde was no longer a minor and his guardianship of Sirin Krylova became final. For the moment, the PRT had made no attempt to interfere with their new lives, although Brandish and Lady Photon both promised to look out for any suspicious activity.

It was a Wednesday, a rainy Wednesday, a day and weather combination that Alan had come to hate. No one he knew really liked Wednesdays, anyway. But at least in the shelter, the girls seemed to enjoy their time; especially now that Sirin was no longer worried about someone snatching Sarah out of her arms.

"Girls, do you remember that you've got guests coming today?"

"...from New Wave?" Sirin replied quietly, putting down a comic book she'd borrowed from one of the shelter's residents.

"Right. Carol's daughters and their aunt. Apparently, the girls want to meet the two of you. And we thought you might like to meet some people closer to your age."

Alan watched the expressions of the two girls carefully, ready to call the whole thing off if it seems they weren't comfortable with the idea. Sarah perked up, while Sirin nodded slowly, clearly considering what was to come. Ever since their conversation with Brandish and Miss Reynolds, the two girls had started opening up. Sarah could still get spooked easily, and Sirin was very protective of the blonde, but they were slowly returning to the realm of normality.

"What are we supposed to talk about with them?" Sarah asked, her voice curious. Alan smiled.

"Whatever you want. Brandish said her daughters, Victoria and Amy, are parahumans too, if you remember. You could talk about that."

"…okay," Sirin spoke up, her voice unsure. Sarah moved closer, her expression determined.

"Yeah. It could be fun."

Amy Dallon was, to put it mildly, not excited about meeting the pair of girls Alan McIntyre had taken in. Carol had explained what happened to them, but she'd also asked the girls to keep an eye out. Just in case.

Victoria had, of course, wanted to invite Dean, but Carol had been firm on only her and Amy visiting, probably the only thing that made the whole outing worthwhile. Dean was nice and she could see him as a friend, but for some reason his presence was always exhausting. Amy hoped Sarah and Sirin wouldn't be anything like him.

"What do you think they're like?" Vicky asked in a conspiratorial whisper, a grin wide on her face.

"…parahumans?" Amy rolled her eyes, focusing on the buildings flicking by around them as Aunt Sarah drove. Victoria giggled.

"But you and I are parahumans. What do you think their powers are?"

"...hopefully something quiet," Amy grumbled. Victoria poked her in the ribs.

"Come on, Amy! Don't be a spoilsport! We're meeting cool parahuman kids our age!"

"...are they our age?"

"I think they are, Carol didn't mention otherwise. Sarah's emancipation just passed. Maybe we could go shopping for a present?"

"...for what?"

"To celebrate? Give them something to mark a new chapter? Just imagine, Alan opening the door, Sarah and Sirin standing behind him, and then he says, 'girls, I have a surprise for you. These kind young women have bought you a gift as a way of wishing you the best. Open it!' And they open the box, and it's-"

"Vicky, please stop. I'm getting motion sick." Amy mumbled, glancing away from the window. She was used to her sister's antics, but even she had to admit that Victoria's exuberance could get tiring. Thankfully, her sister settled for humming as Aunt Sarah drove, until, eventually, the house belonging to Alan McIntyre and housing two potential parahumans came into view.

"...doesn't look big," Victoria mumbled as the car came to a halt.

Sarah Livesey could feel her heartbeat increasing, Sirin holding her hand. Carol's daughters were climbing out of the car with their aunt, and she didn't know how to handle it. Alan had told them they could back away at any time, that he'd simply apologize and send the Dallons away. He wouldn't mind. But something inside Sarah refused to accept the easy way out.

Taking a deep breath, just like Brandish told her to, Sarah turned away from the window and headed for the stairs. Sirin followed suit, both girls wearing soft sweater-dresses. She knew Alan was going to meet Sarah Pelham and her nieces first, and was grateful for it. It gave her time to prepare herself and put on a friendly mask. Alan didn't like her doing it, saying that she should be genuine, but Sarah was too wary of showing her emotions. They were too easy to manipulate for someone who knew what they were doing.

Her parents had taught her that lesson well.

Alan greeted Carol's family at the door, offering Sarah Pelham his hand. He knew relatively little about Carol's sister, mostly just that she was a hero, even if semi-retired. The man was hopeful that the meeting would be pleasant. The woman was a stark contrast to Carol, blonde and smiling, while both her nieces seemed to carry themselves very differently.

The taller girl, Victoria Dallon, had her bright blonde hair done up in a cheerful tousle that must have taken hours to get right. Her eyes darted around as if trying to absorb everything around her. Amy Dallon seemed mousey, especially wearing a slightly oversized gray sweater, brown pants and shoes. She looked almost worried about being there, a hint of wariness clear in her large, brown eyes.

"Alan, a pleasure to meet you. Carol's told us a lot," Sarah Pelham shook his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine. Welcome to my home, would you like to come inside?"

As he moved to the side, allowing the woman to pass him, Alan quickly raised his hand, barring the girl's way which caused Victoria to look at him quizzically.

"Is something wrong, Mr. McIntyre?"

"Not really, I just wanted to ask you to be careful." Noticing the way Amy's eyes narrowed, he quickly corrected himself. "Sarah and Sirin were in a very bad place and are still recovering. I'm just asking you not to… push them, if you understand what I mean."

"Oh, yeah, mom talked about it a bit. Don't worry, I'm the best at talking."

Somehow, that did little to reassure the man.

Sarah stood silently, Sirin pressed against her side, as the Dallon family entered the living room, Alan closing the door behind them. Sarah Pelham was smiling, her nieces looking at the other pair of girls intently.

"Girls, these are Carol's daughters, Victoria and Amy Dallon." Alan said, trying his best to appear relaxed. "And this is their aunt, Sarah Pelham. Victoria, Amy, Sarah, these are Sirin and Sarah."

Victoria's gaze darted between her aunt and Sarah. "Like that's not going to be confusing," she murmured. Then she brightened visibly, a brilliant smile at her lips. "Sarah, Sirin, it's great to finally meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too," Sirin's voice was quiet, and she felt Sarah's grip on her hand tighten.. Her friend was trying to relax, but for some reason, it wasn't working.

"You've got a nice place, Mr. McIntyre," Victoria smiled, while Amy silently stared at Sirin and Sarah. Alan cleared his throat.

"Thank you, Victoria. Miss Pelham, how about we let the girls get acquainted while we talk over a cup of tea? Girls, can you show Victoria and Amy the place?"

"...sure," Sarah spoke up, before nodding to Sirin, who was silent. She didn't blame her.

Amy Dallon didn't know what to feel as she watched the pair of girls lead her and Vicky upstairs. Sarah Livesey was thin and tall, while Sirin Krylova was shorter, but they both had the same look about them. She couldn't quite describe it, but the pair of them reminded her of programs she'd seen about abandoned animals. Constantly wary, like even the safety of a home could be ripped away without warning. .

It was probably due to the circumstances Carol had explained, but Amy couldn't shake the feeling that there was something they'd all missed. Something more than what the girls had told them.

"So, uh, what powers do you have?" Victoria was asking, looking at Sarah Livesey. Amy tuned out Vicky's speech, focusing instead on Sirin, who looked incredibly uncomfortable with the presence of people she didn't know at their house.

Something Amy could relate to. Perhaps the trip wouldn't entirely be a waste of time.

Sirin didn't like Victoria Dallon. There was something about the older blonde that rubbed her the wrong way, and it took all of her willpower not to just grab Sarah and take her away. She could do it, too. All she'd have to do was snap her fingers, and they'd be gone..

With that safety secure in her mind, Sirin tried to focus on the now, leading Sarah and Amy Dallon to their shared bedroom. Victoria had been talking almost nonstop. Her sister Amy, in contract, was much more quiet and polite, only speaking up when asked a question.

Sirin appreciated that. She could relate.

"...and yeah, so, Carol doesn't really like me using my powers too much, but what can you do?" Victoria finished, a bright smile on her face. Sirin frowned.

"What can *you* do?"

"A lot of things," the young heroine grinned. "And Amy's the best healer ever," Sirin could feel Sarah tensing up at the words.

"A healer?" Sarah's voice was quiet. Amy Dallon nodded.

"I can heal people, yes. Victoria is an Alexandria package."

"...a what package?" Sirin found herself asking.

"Oh, uh, Alexandria is the Protectorate's leader. She can fly, has super strength and is invincible. Carol said that you two haven't really gone out, right? I could show you my powers sometime, if you'd like?"

Sirin didn't know what to say, but thankfully Sarah had regained her ability to speak.

"That…that would be nice."

Her power had warned Sarah about Amy Dallon's general mental state, but being around her made the young Thinker very tense. She didn't need her power to tell her about the emotions boiling beneath the slight girl's eyes, she recognised it. It was the same boiling mix that had almost had Sarah set her parents' house on fire.

She couldn't imagine that Amy had been abused in the same way she had, but that didn't make Sarah any less wary. And if what her power had told her about the older hero's power was true, the potential consequences made her shudder. It only took a spark.

And yet… Yet despite that, Victoria – please call me Vicky – and Amy seemed to be nice girls. Alan wouldn't have invited them over if they weren't, and Carol trusted her daughters to be decent people.

"...so, what do you do for fun around here?" Victoria asked, a smile on her face. Sirin shrugged, while Sarah looked unsure.

"We read, sometimes go for walks with Mary and Alan said we're getting a computer. But we don't really go out a lot."

"Maybe we could change that!" Victoria grinned. "Dean – he's my boyfriend, by the way — wanted to come, but Carol wouldn't allow it. Anyway, he suggested we could go out on a day trip somewhere. Not sure where, but maybe you could come too."

"...maybe," Sirin said, her voice soft. Sarah nodded.

"If Alan says it's okay."

"Of course he'll say it's okay! You deserve a break from all this, and I think you'll like Dean. He's a real gentleman."

Victoria kept talking, Amy occasionally adding something to the conversation. Sarah could tell Sirin wasn't sure about the idea of meeting someone else, or even going out. Not that she could blame her. They were getting better, but both still had bad moments. And bad days.

The nightmares would stop eventually though. Wouldn't they?

Alan had noticed how Sirin was practically hiding behind Sarah as they led the Dallon girls upstairs, while Amy didn't seem very interested in talking. Victoria, however, was very enthusiastic, clearly intent on befriending Sarah and Sirin. He hoped she succeeded. Alan believed the girls could use a friend close to their age.

"…so, Carol told us you're running a shelter?" The Pelham matriarch asked, sipping her tea. Alan nodded.

"Yes, the shelter opened over a decade ago, but it was a... scam of some kind. I managed to buy the rights for the building a few years ago, but only recently have I been able to turn it into what it is today."

"What about what you've done for the girls? Ever done that before?" The woman lowered her cup of tea as she spoke up. Alan considered the question.

"At the moment, just Sarah and Sirin. Most children we get are being helped by the social workers. But these two…I don't think social workers would've been able to help them. They didn't want to go to the PRT, and Mary and I are the only adults they really trust."

"And you think we could help?" Sarah Pelham's tone was curious.

"Well, Victoria and Amy are very energetic, and the girls here are usually rather skittish. But they need friends. People who could support them, maybe even have them go out sometimes?"

"...so you want us to make Victoria and Amy's visits a more frequent thing?"

"...if they'd like to come, of course," Alan smiled. "I really think it could help, in time."

Sarah had relaxed a bit by the time Alan called them for lunch. Victoria was a talker, and it was nice to learn from the older girl, but she and Sirin really weren't used to long conversations.

"…we should visit again sometime," Victoria said, smiling brightly. Amy nodded, and Sarah found herself agreeing. Sirin stayed silent, but the blonde knew it wasn't because she disliked the Dallons.

Alan and Sarah Pelham joined them soon after, Victoria and her aunt talking animatedly while Amy and Sirin ate in silence. Sarah found the older girl's eyes on Sirin a few times, and she wondered what the girl was thinking about. Oddly, her power never offered anything on the matter.

Eventually, lunch ended, and Alan invited Victoria and Amy's aunt to stay longer.

"…thanks for the invite, but I promised Carol I'd drop the girls off," the blonde smiled. Alan nodded.

"...next time, then," Sarah Livesey found herself mumbling. Sarah Pelham's smile widened.

"Next time."

Sarah watched the Dallons drive off, Sirin standing next to her, Alan smiling at their backs. The meeting wasn't as bad as she'd originally expected, especially when taking networking into account.

There were, after all, benefits to having open and famous superheroes as friends, even if it would take some time. Still, it was worth it. She couldn't remain Sirin's only friend, and having two people with a better set of moral values would hopefully prevent any unfortunate accidents, even if the jury was still out regarding Amy Dallon.

Sarah forcefully suppressed the shudder that ran through her as she remembered the analysis her power had given regarding the healer's mental state and what could happen if she actually snapped.

Her thought process seemingly reflected on her face, seeing how Sirin took her hand and gently squeezed it. Taking a deep breath, Sarah glanced at her friend, who was treating her to a single raised eyebrow. She could almost see the myriad of thoughts and emotions within those golden eyes, even without her power. The most important was still the slight bit of worry that almost made Sarah want to pull Sirin into a hug. Instead, she grinned and gestured back towards their house by tilting her head.

"…hey, Sirin. I saw a chess board in the living room. You wanna go and try playing chess?"

"...yeah," the other girl smiled as they turned around and headed back into the house.

Carol closed her phone with a sigh of relief. She'd been worried, perhaps understandably so considering what Sarah Livesey and Sirin had been through. But Amy and Victoria had liked the pair of girls. Victoria had texted her saying that Sarah and Sirin were 'nice'. Amy hadn't sent anything, but that wasn't a surprise. Her adopted daughter had always been a loner.

That thought rolled around in her mind as she leant back in her chair, the case she'd been working on temporarily forgotten. Ever since she'd noticed the way Sirin and Sarah acted, quite similarly to how Amy was acting when they'd first brought her into the Dallon household, an unpleasant feeling had started growing inside her.

The realization that she'd made the girl feel the same as that man had made her feel. Worse, honestly, as she never truly got close to Amy. She was aware of her night-time jaunts to the hospital, but never stopped them.

Was she responsible for it in the first place? Amy was never asked to work for more than a few hours during the week, but she exhausted herself by working at night, which did reflect in her grades and overall mood. But what pushed the girl? A feeling of non-existent guilt? Was Carol the reason for it?

Something had to be done, but what? Could she trust a villain's daught-

'No. Don't think like that. Amy didn't choose to be born to that man. She's a victim. Just like Sarah and Sirin. She's your victim.'

Taking a deep breath, Carol pushed the documents away and pulled out her phone, staring at the contact numbers. Did she have to do this right now, or could it wait until the girls were home and talk face to face? It was, most likely, the smarter decision, but it didn't mean she couldn't get all the facts straight before that. There weren't any immediate documents for her to worry about, so she could use her lunch break to meet up with the hospital staff and learn just what Amy was up to in those late hours. The food could wait.

Watching Sarah repeatedly beat the steadily more frustrated Sirin in chess was somewhat amusing, but Alan's work didn't stop just because he'd adopted the girls. There were things that he needed to take care of on a daily basis. Stepping out of the living room, he made his way back to his office. On the way he flipped open his cellphone, looking through the contacts.

His search was almost immediately interrupted by Dylan, one of the shelter's two security guards, calling him. Surprised by the call, Alan answered and was almost deafened by the screams coming though from the other end of the line.

"Alan! Get over here, right now! Hey, don't get close! No, dammit, move the older people first!"

"Dylan!? What's happening?"

"It's all on f*cking fire! Someone set fire to the shelter!"

His mind froze, processing everything at a snail's pace.

The shelter was on fire?

His shelter was on fire.

His shelter was on fire.

Not paying any attention to his surroundings, Alan almost knocked the door off its hinges in his dash out of his office, running straight for his car. Only to realize that leaving like this would set off all sorts of alarms in Sirin and Sarah's heads. He needed to let them know he was leaving, and make sure they'd be okay here until he got back.

"Sarah, Sirin, I need to leave you for a bit. There are som-"

"Something's happening," Sarah shut him down. Now, Sirin's gaze was torn away from the chess board as she looked at the man with narrowed eyes. "And you don't want to tell us because it's bad."

"That's… Yes. But it's not something that either of you can help with. Don't worry, I will be back in a few hours.

"If anyone calls the landline phone, tell them to call back later. I'll be back as soon as I can," Alan explained. Then he grabbed his keys and rushed out of the door. He could only hope the girls would listen to him.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

A/N: Beta'd by Snowfire, who has all of my thanks for putting up with this mess XD
I highly recommend that you check out their original, completed quest: The Practice War. It is a work of art, imho

This is a much more measured approach this time around and I think it's really helping the story be character driven as opposed to plot driven.

I'm liking it a lot Qro.

Sirin appreciated that. She could relate.

"...and yeah, so, Carol doesn't really like me using my powers too much, but what can you do?" Victoria finished, a bright smile on her face. Sirin frowned.

Quiet kids represent!

This did get me thinking of what Sirin's abilities would look like from Vista's point of view, considering Void isn't quite outright space manipulation as it is achieving space manipulation through interactions with Imaginary Space.

I imagine it'll look very weird to the uninformed.

"Oh, yeah, mom talked about it a bit. Don't worry, I'm the best at talking."

Somehow, that did little to reassure the man.

Does little to reassure me either with your particular power set Victoria.

'No. Don't think like that. Amy didn't choose to be born to that man. She's a victim. Just like Sarah and Sirin. She's your victim.'

That last line has more than one way of interpreting it you know. But I get the feeling you don't realize that Carol.

This whole fic makes me wonder how things would shake down if a Flamescion Kiana met Sirin. The memories engraved on Kiana's Void Core are not exactly happy ones to Sirin.

If it's framed right Sirin would get a "this is what you could become" moment. Though now that I think of it maybe a Void Drifter Kiana would exemplify that idea even better. And it doesn't even fit perfectly either considering Sirin has kind of already made her choice past that moment that would lead her to the Second Eruption.

"Something's happening," Sarah shut him down. Now, Sirin's gaze was torn away from the chess board as she looked at the man with narrowed eyes. "And you don't want to tell us because it's bad."

"That's… Yes. But it's not something that either of you can help with. Don't worry, I will be back in a few hours.

"If anyone calls the landline phone, tell them to call back later. I'll be back as soon as I can," Alan explained. Then he grabbed his keys and rushed out of the door. He could only hope the girls would listen to him.
Someone is absolutely going to attack Alan's home or otherwise try to pressure the girls, aren't they?

Oh, and thanks for the chapter!

This whole fic makes me wonder how things would shake down if a Flamescion Kiana met Sirin. The memories engraved on Kiana's Void Core are not exactly happy ones to Sirin.

If it's framed right Sirin would get a "this is what you could become" moment. Though now that I think of it maybe a Void Drifter Kiana would exemplify that idea even better. And it doesn't even fit perfectly either considering Sirin has kind of already made her choice past that moment that would lead her to the Second Eruption.
I mean... That kind of is one of the big questions with Honkai Impact, isn't it? Along with 'What could come from Sirin being given a chance for happiness' and stuff like that.

I always forget but officially is Vicky's boyfriend Dean or Gallant?

Chapter 7
Sarah stared at the door Alan had left through, the sound of the front door slamming shut in haste still echoing through the house. She didn't need her power to tell her that something serious had happened at the shelter. Alan had been more than just stressed, and it had all come from a phone call.

"...Sarah?" Sirin's voice was quiet, her eyes focused on her friend. Sarah took a deep breath.

"Alan… Alan probably didn't want to make us panic," she said, looking away from the incomplete chess game between them. "But something has happened at the shelter. That's where he's going. We could… we could check the news? See if anything's there?"

"...okay."

Walking over to the sofa, their chess game forgotten, Sarah looked for the remote, only to have Sirin produce it and flick on the television. The channel was still the local news station Alan had turned on earlier.

_"-breaking news, a shelter that houses some of Brockton Bay's homeless population is currently ablaze, firefighters struggling to contain the fire. Details are still unknown, but several heroes, including Glory Girl, Panacea and Lady Photon, are present at the scene, assisting the emergency personnel. We now bring you live footage of the scene."_

Sarah felt her heart stop as she saw Alan's shelter, flames spewing from the windows. She could see the older heroes, but couldn't see Alan's car. A moment later she realized that it made sense, the man had left less than five minutes ago. It would take him at least ten, if everything went perfect and there was no traffic jam.

"...but why?" Sarah mumbled, her eyebrows furrowed. "Who gets something out of this?"

Sirin's golden eyes narrowed as the girl glanced at Sarah. Her fingers had tightened on the sofa, almost into fists. "…do you think… Do you think whoever did this is trying to hurt Alan? Trying to hurt us?"

"...maybe," Sarah whispered, her voice quiet. The blonde swallowed and looked back at the tv, where the fire was being put out by the various heroes, Glory Girl was carrying several people out of the shelter.

It was like it had been some deliberate action, something meant for a purpose. But what? She couldn't tell, not from this. Her power needed more data.

Sirin was tense beside her, the girl's yellow eyes narrowed and her unusual pupils almost glowing in the cloudy afternoon weather. Her friend was angry, but she wasn't alone in that.. The shelter was the first place that she'd been accepted since… Reggie. No one had judged her, called her an idiot or shamed her for the way she'd broken. It had been the first step to a new home. And someone had burned it.

"...we could go there," the words were out before Sarah had a chance to realize what she was saying. Sirin glanced at her, golden eyes questioning. "People there might need our help, and we could... Could you teleport us there?"

"...Yes, but I'm not sure that's a good idea," Sirin shook her head, her expression pained.

"Maybe it isn't," she agreed. But only on that, pushing on with a child's insistence. "But whoever did this, if we wait for Alan to come back any sign of them will be gone or destroyed. Alan…he'll be okay. But what about everyone else, Sirin? The other people at the shelter?"

"...I don't like this," the purple haired girl said softly. Sarah nodded, but didn't say anything else. After a moment of silence, Sirin took her hand.

"It's been... a long time, and I'm not sure if I've recovered. I might not be able to get us back here. And if I get weak… someone might hurt you," Sirin's eyes were locked on Sarah's and her cross-shaped pupils pulsed unnervingly. Sarah shivered slightly, but didn't turn her eyes away.

"I trust you." It was all she really could say.

"...we should change. Sirin sighed as she stood up. "And maybe grab a knife."

Sarah nodded, grabbing the remote to turn off the TV as they ran for their room. They didn't need to see that anymore.

Minutes later they were both dressed in simple jeans, sweaters and warm jackets. Sarah had wrapped the scarf around her face, just in case. Sirin, on top of it, put on a fluffy hat with cat ears that she'd found during their last shopping trip with Alan.

Somehow, it made Sarah smile when she saw the more childish side of her friend shine through. Even now. Maybe especially now.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes. Give me a moment."

When she'd figured out that Sirin could teleport, Sarah had expected it to be something flashy. For winds to rise, or for lightning to flash. Instead Sirin grabbed Sarah's hand, stepped forward, and space in front of them simply parted. Only the gentle violet glow at the portal's edge made things any easier to process.

Sarah felt a pang of pain in her head for a brief moment, like her power had turned to static, somehow unable to properly comprehend the tear in reality in front of them. Shaking her head, Sarah did her best to ignore the sensation, instead glancing at Sirin. Her face was twisted in concentration.

"…are you alright?" Sarah asked.

"...It's been a while. But I'm not too tired," Sirin said, squeezing Sarah's hand. She could tell the girl wasn't lying, but that didn't mean she wasn't worried. Sirin was important.

"I'll be fine. Let's go." The purple haired girl pulled Sarah after her as they stepped through the portal. It only took a few moments for Sarah to recognise the alley they'd appeared in, it wasn't far from the shelter. But even here, the air was thick with smoke shouting, and the crackling of flames. Sirin coughed once, but seemed otherwise unbothered by the haze. Sarah found herself grateful for the scarf she'd decided to wrap around her face.

"...Alan isn't here," Sirin whispered, glancing towards the shelter. Sarah nodded, not needing a power to know he wouldn't be here yet. The girls' gazes met and Sarah could once again feel her power pushing, trying to analyze the girl in front of her and coming up with frankly ridiculous results.

"...we should take a closer look, see if we can help. Alan won't be here for a while," Sarah spoke slowly, forcing her power under control. She didn't need to get an information overload, especially since it could become needed in the near future. Sirin glanced at the shelter once more before nodding.

"...stay close to me," the purple haired girl muttered. She grabbed Sarah's hand again and led her towards the shelter. They could see the heroes at work, Panacea working on some of the elderly residents, Lady Photon flying around and helping with recon of sorts. Glory Girl helping the firefighters carry injured people to waiting paramedics.

"Can you sense everything inside the building? The fire isn't affecting you, right?" Sarah asked, quickly glancing at Sirin. The purple haired girl nodded, her brows furrowed.

'Good. I can do this, then. Come on, Sarah, focus on who did this. Find the culprit.'.

"You want me to find the people still inside?" Sirin guessed. Sarah's train of thought was broken for a moment, causing her to hesitate for a moment before nodding.

"...please."

Sirin closed her eyes for a moment before glancing towards a part of the shelter. Sarah could almost feel the air around them change as Sirin took a step forward.

"There's six people still inside. All on the Second floor," Sirin pointed at the area in question. "Do you think I should just-"

"Get them out? Yes. But you should probably cover your face. We don't want people to know who we are. Not yet, at least."

"...Okay. But I'm getting you to the heroes first."

Sarah didn't argue, allowing Sirin to grab her hand and drag her towards Panacea.

"-don't worry, everything will be fine," the healer was saying to an elderly woman as she held her hand to check her. The woman was staring at the burning shelter with a desolate expression on her face.

Sarah knew her as the woman who'd offered her a second portion of soup when she'd first arrived. It made the desire to find the culprits for the fire grow much stronger.

Panacea either heard or somehow sensed Sirin and Sarah coming closer, as she turned to face them. She blinked at them owlishly, clearly surprised.

"You two are- What are you doing here?" Panacea asked. She glanced over them, looking for injuries.

"We heard about the fire," Sirin spoke, her voice confident. "Sarah thought we could come here and try to help. There are still people inside."

"...alright. Not sure how you're supposed to help, but go ahead and talk to the firefighters, I guess." Amy was already turning away, her tone brisk. "I'm a little busy right now."

"It won't take long," Sirin said, letting go of Sarah's hand. Before the blonde could speak, Sirin pulled up the scarf on her face, turned and marched towards the burning building. Some firefighter noticed her and tried to intercept the girl by grabbing her shoulder, only for his hand to go straight through what should have been a solid shoulder, making him stumble. Sarah's eyes widened. She'd gotten a good idea that Sirin was a powerful Shaker, but what sort of spatial manipulation could grant intangibility?

Sirin didn't even seem to have noticed the man, as she entered the burning shelter.

"...she can phase through stuff?" Sarah glanced at Panacea, the source of the question. The brunette's eyes were wide, her jaw slightly slack.

"...that's… no, that's not-" Sarah shook her head. "She's- Nevermind. Did anyone...?"

"Die? No. Luckily, the fire alarm worked perfectly.

"What happened?" Sarah asked, just in case. Even though she could probably rely on her power to get answers, it was a crutch that wouldn't always help. Her near-capture by the ABB had taught her that much.

"How am I supposed to know?" Panacea frowned, turning away and heading for the next person that had paramedics surrounding them. "Ask the firefighters. They've got a better idea than me."

Sarah bit her lip. It wasn't a particularly helpful answer, but there was nothing she could do to try and pry information that Amy didn't have out of her.. She'd have to act quickly if she wanted to get anything before Alan arrived to prove that she wasn't useless. Which meant leaving Amy and going to the firefighters.

Alone

The thought filled her with dread. Every moment of her waking hours she spent either by Sirin's side or not far from the girl, knowing that she was safe and protected. But now, Sirin wasn't there. She was helping people, without a single shred of fear. It filled Sarah with pride, that her friend was able to be so strong, after everything. That didn't change the fact that Sirin wasn't beside her now, leaving her alone and exposed.

Shaking her head, the blonde took a deep breath and did her best to push down the fear, instead focusing on the firefighters that were carrying the injured to the paramedics. Alan would arrive soon, and if she had nothing to show for her efforts, she would end up disappointing him. Just like she disappointed her-

She shook her head, forcing that memory back. Then she pulled her scarf up and made a beeline for the firefighter who'd tried to stop Sirin. The man was busy talking to a couple of paramedics and didn't notice her approaching, which allowed Sarah to get within three feet before he turned to face her.

"Hey. Kid, it isn't safe here for you. How'd you even get here? Go over to the heroes," the man frowned, his eyes glancing between her and the shelter. Sirin was walking back, a child in her arms and two people following her, looking dazed. Sarah swallowed and nodded, before she realized he probably wouldn't see it.

"I'm with S- the phasing girl. We're here to help."

"The 'phasing girl'?" The man blinked. Sarah shrugged, trying not to give too much away.

"Work in progress. Can you tell me what happened? What set off the fire?"

"You aren't one of those PRT interns or something, are you?" The firefighter sighed. "...Alright, kid. We don't know. And it's too early to tell until the fire's put out. We won't know anything until we can look over the remains after that..

"Now, I understand you're here with," he gestured at Sirin, "her. But please, can you step back and wait with the heroes? I'd rather not have anyone else get hurt here."

Sarah sighed. That wasn't what she wanted to hear. Her power was buzzing in the back of her head, the lack of concrete data frustrating. It made her think harder, to try and understand the situation.

The shelter had caught fire. Alan had been called, and that's why he left. The heroes had been called by either Alan, the police or someone else, which was why they were present.

Glory Girl, Lady Photon and Panacea were present.

...if her power wanted more data, what about the heroes?

"Uh, miss… are you alright?" The firefighter asked, raising an eyebrow. Sarah blinked before nodding.

"I'm fine, thank you. Do you mind if I…?" the blonde motioned towards where the heroes were working. The firefighter gave her a bemused nod, and Sarah flashed him a thumbs up before turning around and walking back to the other heroes.

Glory Girl was busy helping the paramedics with the rescued residents of the shelter, the golden haired heroine chatting with one of the residents, while Panacea worked to heal any injured. Lady Photon, however, was standing to the side, talking to a police officer.

"...can you tell me more about the fire?" Sarah heard the older heroine say. The officer shrugged, his expression pained.

"It looks like it started from one of the gas cookers," the man sighed. "Which is worrying, since those are supposed to have an automatic shut down in case of emergency."

"So you're thinking arson?"

"Yes. But we can't know for sure until the firefighters are done with their work. And even then, there are no promises of anything. Fires usually destroy most evidence."

Lady Photon nodded, frowning. Sarah frowned, trying to get closer to eavesdrop a bit more. But the conversation didn't continue, as the heroine turned around and glanced at the shelter. Sarah bit her lip, trying to decide if she should approach the heroine or not.

"...Lady Photon?" Sarah asked, making Lady Photon jump and turn to face her. The woman let out a sigh of relief, shaking her head.

Recognizes you. Surprised you're here so quickly, but not that you came. Will want to talk to you about this later.

"You startled me." Lady Photon said, as Sarah absorbed her power's insight. "Who are you? How did you get here?"

"I'm here to help," Sarah shrugged. "My friend is bringing out the people that were still inside."

"Your…friend?" Lady Photon blinked. Sarah nodded, glancing back towards the shelter. Sirin was on her way back to the paramedics, another child in her arms. Behind her, a young man supported an elderly woman out through the swiftly vanishing purple ring of the girl's portal.

"You've been very helpful. Are you like your friend?" Lady Photon asked. Sarah nodded, getting the unspoken part of the question.

"I see. How exactly can you help? I can see what the 'phasing girl' is doing, but what about you?"

"I'm... just think of Sherlock Holmes." Sarah said quickly. "I want to help figure out what happened here."

Lady Photon tilted her head, seemingly mulling over the information for a moment, before shrugging.

"It can't hurt, I suppose. Do you need anything?"

"I guess... a list of everyone that works at the shelter?" Sarah suggested. Lady Photon frowned, before glancing towards Panacea.

"Amy, can you bring over the resident's list? There's a girl here that wants to take a look," the heroine called out. Panacea glanced between Lady Photon and Sarah, before sighing and muttering something under her breath. Sarah decided to ignore the heroine, instead focusing on the list Panacea shoved into Lady Photon's hands and passed onto Sarah.

"Thanks" the blonde nodded, taking the list and sitting down on the sidewalk, her power humming eagerly.

The residents' list was rather simple, with the names, ages and a few details of the shelter's inhabitants. Sarah ran her finger through the list, briefly glancing at the name before moving on to the next.

John, 30, former alcoholic.

Helena, 67, diabetic.

And so on. Sarah frowned, going through the list twice before glancing at the shelter. Sirin was walking out again, this time with two older boys in tow..

"This… should be all, right?" Sarah asked Lady Photon, glancing up from the list and at the woman who was looking at the shelter with a strange expression on her face. The heroine blinked and turned to face her.

"I… yes. Everyone's out, as far as I know," the older blonde nodded. Sarah nodded, frowning.

"Okay. Thank you. Can I…?" the blonde motioned towards the shelter. Lady Photon nodded, causing Sarah to quickly jog towards her friend, who waved her over.

"That's everyone I could find." Sirin said, her scarf still covering her face. "Are they all okay?" Sarah nodded, motioning at Panacea.

"They'll be fine. Let's go home," the blonde suggested. Sirin glanced at the heroes, before looking back at the shelter and visibly hesitating.

"They still haven't dealt with the fire. Maybe I can help, somehow? Make a portal to the pay above the building??"

"No, it's fine. You've helped enough. Come on, we need to leave," Sarah shook her head, glancing at Panacea and Glory Girl. The brunette was glancing at Sirin every now and then, seemingly trying to pretend she wasn't staring.

"Look, just let me talk to the firefighters. It'll be quick," Sirin insisted and moved forward, pulling Sarah after her, forcing the blonde to remind herself that the girl had some degree of superhuman strength. Just because Sirin was 'small and cute' didn't mean she couldn't fold someone into a pretzel.

"Okay, fine. But hurry up," Sarah huffed, following Sirin. The firefighters glanced at the two girls, but didn't seem too bothered by their presence.

"Is there anything else that can be done?" Sirin asked, glancing between the men. The older one that had talked to Sarah before, sighed and shrugged.

"Not much, Miss. It's not easy to deal with fires, and this one is burning rather brightly," the man sighed. "You've done good, getting people out, but there's not much else to do."

"I'm not just phasing," Sirin said stubbornly. She frowned, letting go of Sarah's hand to cross her arms. "I can put points in space together too. I could open a hole above the shelter for you to spray the water down on it."

The firefighters exchanged glances, before the older one shook his head.

"Thanks for the offer, but that much water will just collapse the building faster. And at this point, we're just trying to minimize damage," the man sighed. "And make sure that the fire doesn't spread to any nearby buildings."

Sirin pursed her lips, frowning. Sarah frowned too, but for a different reason. She wanted her power to help her find the people responsible for the fire, but there was nothing for it to work with for that. But she also wanted to help, and-

Structure likely to survive internal introduction of water. Many smaller portals, or a single one at the core of the fire.

"What if you opened a portal inside of the shelter? Let the firefighters go after the source of the fire directly?" the blonde spoke up. Sirin glanced at her, raising an eyebrow, but the older firefighter shrugged.

"Sure. If you can open a portal inside the burning shelter, be my guest. We're not going to stop you. Hell, that's probably easier than getting a firehose inside," the man nodded. Sirin glanced at Sarah, before turning her attention back to the firefighter.

"Alright, then. Sarah, step back," Sirin waited for Sarah to take a step back, then raised her arms. The air warped for a moment, brilliant colors flickering through it in a rainbow sheen as the purple-haired girl mustered her power.

Sarah heard the surprised exclamations of the firefighters as they watched the portal appear just above the ground a few feet away. The heat from it was a tangible thing, almost all-encompassing as close as the two girls were standing.

"Well, that's certainly something," the older firefighter nodded. He gave the two girls a short smile, then turned to his crew."That's handy as hell. Get one of the hoses over here, boys. Let's put out this fire?"

"Good job, girlie. Now, if you'll excuse us, we've got work to do," the firefighter nodded, glancing towards Sarah. The blonde nodded, before grabbing Sirin's hand and turning around, quickly pulling her far enough to not feel the heat, but not too far for the firefighters to keep track of them. She didn't doubt that they'd need several portals, so they couldn't leave just yet.

Sirin let out a soft giggle, making Sarah raise an eyebrow.

"...that felt pretty cool," the purple haired girl shrugged, letting the scarf fall down. "Helping people feels… I don't know. But it feels good. We should come back tomorrow, to check how everyone's doing."

"Alright," Sarah nodded, biting her lip.

"We should visit the heroes as well. And Lady Photon too. I'm sure they have more questions," Sirin nodded to herself, seemingly not noticing Sarah's growing distress.

"Yeah, probably. But we can worry about it later," Sarah mumbled. Sirin blinked, tilting her head.

"...is everything alright?"

"Alan's coming. He should be here within five minutes."

"...ah."

"Yeah."

The two girls fell silent, listening to the sounds of the firefighters getting to work, putting out the fire. It sounded like they were having luck with Sirin's portal.

"How are we supposed to tell him that we came to help without warning him?" Sirin asked, tilting her head. Sarah shrugged, glancing towards the heroes. Glory Girl was standing close to her aunt and sister, making sure that Panacea wasn't bothered as she worked on the last of the injured residents.

"We could say that we saw it getting really bad on TV?" Sarah suggested. "He'll probably still be upset, though."

"Yes," Sirin nodded. "But I think he'll just be worried, too. That's not all bad.

"Thank you, though," the purple haired girl spoke up again. Sarah blinked, looking at her friend. Sirin smiled at her, taking Sarah's hand and giving it a small squeeze.

"...for?"

"For being a friend. For helping. Just… thanks, Sarah."

"You too, Sirin."

The two girls stood quietly, listening to the firefighters and heroes working.

Alan arrived about four minutes later, just as the fire was finally being put out.

A/N: All of my thanks to Snowfire for betaing this chapter, and sincerest apologies for it taking so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back