• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A Symphony of Ice and Fire (HOTD/The Ice Dragon)

The next chapter is going to be basically politics, plots and general reactions, and then we're getting back to Daeron and Adara and we'll be diving right back into the magical stuff and actually getting into compelling stakes that aren't magical visions and a whole lot of implied threats.
All I'll be saying about Aemond is that the man needs a lot of work in the days to come.
dohaeras-vhagar-by-draw-souls-v0-f58gcjorxdv91.jpg

"Your mind is the starting point of all war and all♟️strategy. A mind 🧠 that is easily overwhelmed by emotion😡, that is rooted in the past instead of⏳the present, that cannot see the world with clarity and urgency, will create strategies that will always miss the mark." — Robert Greene, The 33 Strategies of War.
"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth." — African Proverb
"Only those who do not seek power are qualified to hold it." — Plato
"The true soldier 🪖 fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves ❤️ what is be-hind him." — G.K. Chesterton
"The general who advances without coveting fame🏆 and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only 💭 thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom." — Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Well, that's an understatement of the year. It actually baffles me so much how Aemond's family (both Blacks and Greens) themselves are so willfully ignorant to the fact that they are the ones who're responsible for his own trauma and warped state of mind in the first place and then got the audacity to question later why he's so monstrous and cruel when they are really the root causes of him being this way. I hope that Adara makes them all admit to this fact and own up to their follies. Metaphorically speaking, Aemond is the quiet kid at school who was disabled and bullied by the other kids, but he found his confidence in solitude, learned the art of war and combat. Then he returned to his old stomping ground to kick their ass. Adara knows those types, she's seen that face...she probably saw it in her own reflection everyday. Unlike his family, she'll come to fully understand him and perhaps, intentionally or unintentionally, motivate him to be better and not care about anyone else says or thinks anymore if they don't actually contribute to his own happiness and growth as a human being.

Of course, he's so easy to dislike, but he's actually such a nuanced character as well. Look at his life as we've seen. Constantly doubted, overlooked, and forgotten. Then, he pairs with Vhagar and feels like he belongs, finally finding a dragon, and one of the strongest at that. Then, as he said to Cole, he was the one who took his position as a successor seriously, while Aegon didn't. And he took it personally that he was never even considered by his mother or father. I believe him acting the way he does, is him lashing out for never receiving the love his siblings had. He's desperate to prove his worth when he already has. But few to none acknowledge it and I think that makes him internally angry. He wants validation and has never gotten it, so he chooses to rule from fear rather than gaining respect from his steadfastness and intellect. Because he lives in Westeros which has always been a feudal and martial society. Since, the lords and knights, particularly those living in the South, tend to care more about martial glory and battle rather than chill and appreciate more intellectual pursuits such as wonders of science, nature, technological uplifts and stuff like "counting coppers." In short, a bunch of overly proud, ambitious and shortsighted fools who lack vision. Sadly, none of the Targs (except Rhaenys, Helaena and the children who are too young such as Jaehaerys, Jaehaera, Maelor, Aegon III and Viserys II) are actually exempt from having any of these flaws either.

Which is another major reason why Adara has been thrust into the role of being commander-in-chief for House Targaryen and the realm as a whole. Since, a good general does not rush into battle just to gain recognition or praise. They do not make decisions based on emotions or fear of repercussions, even if it means making difficult choices. Their primary concern is the safety and welfare of the people they lead; making them a valuable asset to the army or nation. Because essentially, a good leader puts the people's interests and needs above their own reputation or self-preservation. Which's what Adara had more or less done in the past and as a reward for all her selfless acts; she was betrayed in the end by her own people. And that's why she still so reluctant to deal with human beings anymore and why she wants to make sure whether or not the Others are an enemy that she and her best friend Frostsinger can't simply deal with by themselves. Since, she doesn't trust anybody anymore and therefore refuses to basically rely on the prophetic words of the Three-Eyed Raven. Because information can easily be the difference between victory and defeat, or war and peace. Knowledge gives one the power to persuade opponents to compromise or to lead them into making mistakes. The phrase 'knowledge is power' is often spoken since it emphasizes the importance of information in gaining power and victory over one's opponents. However, without understanding how to utilize this knowledge effectively, its potential remains untapped. So, knowledge combined with both intelligence and decisive action is what makes it truly powerful. Hence, Adara wants to confirm the veracity of the Raven's claims and to personally gather intelligence on the enemy in order to make correctly informed decisions and think over on how to develop the right plan of attack afterwards before calling the shots.

Unlike Aemond, Adara doesn't have second son syndrome or has some sort of inferiority/superiority complex (and if she ever did then she doesn't have it anymore at this point) that she wastes brainpower angsting over. She's able to recognize her own power and doesn't underestimate her own capacity for harm as Frostsinger's rider. While Aemond doesn't seem to realize nor care how much harm he can potentially cause with Vhagar altogether. I think this is the exact point Viserys was trying to make when he told Rhaenyra that dragons are a power men should never have trifled with. He rode Balerion which I'd imagine was a similar experience to claiming Vhagar. We don't know exactly the nature of the bond but you have to think they feel each other's feelings and experiences to some extent (remember when Caraxes reared his head back and screamed in pain when Daemon got hit by that arrow) Balerion and Vhagar are veterans of 100 battles and have killed thousands upon thousands of people. We can only imagine what that would feel like to the rider. The interesting difference between Viserys I and Aemond is that Viserys seems to have recoiled from what he experienced when he bonded with Balerion and Aemond has embraced it. I'm definitely stoked for any future information we can learn about bonding and dragons in general. When the next volume of GRRM's Fire & Blood is finally released. On a side note, I find it hypocritical and stupid of the Blacks to say that Aemond had no 'right' to Vhagar because of who her previous rider was. Even if that were true, (power always goes to those willing to take it, fire is power, and dragons are fire made flesh, dragons are power made flesh) it was not Rhaenyra's children's place to enforce it. Also, if dragons were living heirlooms then Daemon would be riding his mother's dragon Meleys and Rhaenys would be riding her father's mount Caraxes.

Concerning the Driftmark incident. For me, it's difficult to assign blame to either party. Rhaena pushed Aemond because he claimed her mother's dragon, brung up her dead mom and insulted her. Baela punched Aemond because she sees her sister getting smacked around by a bigger boy. Jace jumps in because he sees two girls being punched by an older boy and Luke follows because he sees his brother getting beaten up. Meanwhile, Aemond is being ganged up on by four kids all at once. Aemond grabs a rock for defense but he also tells a six-year- old boy he's going to kill him by fire while holding said six-year-old in a chokehold, after breaking the six-year-old's nose, so I can't exactly fault Jace for bringing out a dagger to defend his brother, just like I can't fault Aemond for defending himself. I also can't fault Luke for using a knife when he sees Aemond standing over Jace holding a rock, especially considering the fact that Aemond has said that he's going to kill them. It's tragic to me because I feel like all the children are acting purely on instinct that's been shaped by their parent's obvious hatred towards each other. I mean, all Aemond's ever heard about Jace and Luke is that they're bastard abominations who are stealing his family's birthright. Neither side is blameless, which is of course the theme of the entire story. But what I don't understand is why people are so intent on blaming any of the children. The adults are the ones at fault for the whole thing. Period. All those Velaryon and Targaryen household guards and all goddamn seven knights of the Kingsguard were present yet not one of them knew where any of these five children were. For real, how did they lose an entire fucking herd of royal blooded children? Also, nobody heard the commotion first with Vhagar then with a bunch of kids screaming at each other in an echoey ass cave? How did nobody notice five kids running around unattended? And Aemond entering the castle without a single person stopping him? That's bullshit. Their parents...when you teach your children to hate they're gonna hate. If it hadn't been this incident it would have been something else at some other time—violence between these children was inevitable. The way the so-called adults handled things was completely unreasonable. Yes, all of them. Rhaenyra's manipulation, Alicent's violence (her anger was warranted, the stabbing was not), Viserys' favoritism, Daemon's flippancy, Cole's negligent deflection of his duty, and Corlys standing there like an NPC in his own castle. They all acted like dumbasses so, of course, nothing was resolved. This is one of the reasons why the tale of Fire & Blood and House of Dragon highlights really well that no side commands a moral high ground in war and that history is written by the victors.

Anyway, Aemond, whether he realizes it or not, has now found a new role model (or rival depending on his perspective) whom he doesn't seek to kill and couldn't even if he wanted to or tried (because it's obvious that Aemond somehow idolizes Daemon but never wanted to be his uncle per se. People say that Aemond wants to be like Daemon, but I think that Aemond wants to be BETTER than Daemon. Aemond wanted Daemon to see him as an equal and a potential threat, because then, it would prove that Daemon approved and respected him as a warrior. Before he finally killed and surpassed him. After all, to become a legend, you have to slay a legend. At least, that's the impression I had when I saw their initially one-sided rivalry at the start of Season 2 of the series. Aemond wanted the glory of killing the Rogue Prince, he wanted to be the one to kill Daemon Targaryen (considered by many to be the most dangerous man in all of Westeros). To become the most dangerous man in Westeros you need to win the title by killing the most dangerous man in Westeros, Aemond needed to kill Daemon to win that title but had ultimately failed in the canon). Even though, she's a few years younger than him. And in the near future, she'll possibly act and be like the mature, intelligent and responsible sibling who he always needed to keep his head straight or properly bond with in terms of martial and intellectual pursuits. A role which Rhaenyra and Aegon II had failed and never cared to fulfill throughout his entire life. Since, she'll make it totally clear to everybody that she won't ever conform nor bend to the rules, customs, traditions and norms of their backwards society where it's taught that girls are solely good for giving birth, looking pretty and not learn how to defend or think for themselves while men are the only ones who should fight, lead armies or rule. And anyone who's foolish enough to think that they can threaten, manipulate and indoctrinate her into such a dull and rigid system or attempt to demand her obeisance (like Daemon and Otto) will severely suffer the consequences. Thus, she's actually more of a rebel than Daemon himself is or could ever dare to be in this regard. In more ways than one, she is now the most dangerous and unpredictable person in Westeros, with or without her ice dragon, not the Rogue Prince. And everyone in the Seven Kingdoms will come to know this fact soon.
ymbmxrig7eaz.jpg

Reactions in King's Landing to Aemond's warnings about Adara are anticipated to be dismissive, with Aegon (totally agree with TheEmpyreanSpeaks in one of his latest videos. Aegon II is the best character of House of the Dragon: Season 2. Because of Tom Glynn-Carney who is such a good actor since he made his character so sympathetic and compelling in such a tragic way. In the show, Aegon's inability to do some things makes him very human. I also don't get the sense that he is outright stupid, he comes off as someone lazy. He isn't better at certain activities because he doesn't have drive and discipline, not because he is inherently incapable. I think starting him off as this non-threatening person who everyone perceives as weak, who is then forced by circumstances to become more ruthless and strategic makes for a better story. In the book, he was mostly an irresponsible hedonist before the coronation and the Dance forced him to change very fast. When I was reading it, I didn't expect much from him after Rook's Rest and he proved me wrong. But my expectations were low after Rook's Rest not because I thought he was weak or that people thought he was weak. I just imagined all the trauma and injuries he suffered would crush him. I found his storyline in the book very impressive and that's how he became one of my favorite characters. The actor Tom says he hopes Aegon will be more cold and calculating from this point on (in Season 3 and beyond). He will try to portray the character in this way as best he can, and he might mention it because he will have a say in some parts of the writing of his character, but we'll see what the incompetent writers decide. I too would love to see a cold, calculating, ruthless and vengeful Aegon because that's the Aegon in the book, especially after his scars. In Season 3, I think him and Aemond may switch places and people will be surprised Aemond will become more mad and reckless and less calculative as we saw so far and Aegon who everyone underestimated; we'll see that he is actually a dangerous person and not stupid at all as everyone thought. He'll no longer seek love since he was betrayed too many times now. He will be on the real path to revenge soon just like his book counterpart. Both brothers weren't born monsters. They became tragic villains due to being molded in the worst way possible because of their stupid and dysfunctional family as well as the decadent society that they were born into. Anyway, I like to think of Book Aegon II as the sibling most similar to Viserys. Had he lived in peace like Viserys did, he would have grown up to be like his father, but the war shaped him into an angrier, harder form. In your story, I hope that Aegon II will eventually aspire to be the opposite of his petty, spineless, spiteful, negligent and stupid manchild of a father, Firewillreign.) likely to laugh it off until he sees the words of the prophecy lit from a fire upon his father's dagger. Alicent and Otto may patronize Aemond due to the fact that Vhagar has long held the heavyweight title of being the world's largest dragon. Criston Cole and Helaena might be the only ones to take Aemond seriously. Rhaenyra at Dragonstone might consider her son's words more seriously after hearing him say that a girl who rides a dragon bigger than Vhagar saved him, but her initial skepticism about Adara's warnings may persist until Luke mentions the Song of Ice and Fire. I doubt Daemon will believe the warnings, and Jace may trust his brother's words. But I don't think he or anyone else will fully believe them unless they see Adara and Frostsinger for themselves.
the-ice-dragon-chapter-7-second.jpg

"When in 1806 the Prussian generals...plunged into the open jaws🦈 of disaster by using Frederick 👑 the Great's oblique order of battle, it was not just a case of a style that had outlived its usefulness but the most extreme poverty of the imagination 💭 to which routine has ever led. The result was that the Prussian army under Hohenlohe was ruined more completely than any army has ever been ruined on the battlefield." — Carl von Clausewitz, On War.
"What limits individuals as well as nations 🏰 is the in-ability to confront reality, to see🔎things for what they are. As we grow older, we become more rooted in the past. Habit takes over. Something that has worked for us before becomes a doctrine, a shell🐚to protect us from reality." - Robert Greene, The 33 Strategies♟️of War.
"Repetition replaces creativity. We rarely realize we are doing this, because it is almost impossible for us to🔎 see it happening in our own minds 🧠 . Then suddenly a young Napoleon 🐉 crosses our path, a person who does not respect tradition, who fights♟️in a new way. Only then do we see that our ways of thinking 💭 and responding have fallen behind the times ⌛️." - Robert Greene, The 33 Strategies of War.
"Never take it for granted that your past successes🏆 will continue into the future. Actually, your past successes are your biggest obstacle: every battle, every war, is different, and you cannot assume that what worked before will work today. You must cut yourself loose from the past and open your eyes to the present. Your tendency to fight the last war⚔️ may lead to your final war☠️." - Robert Greene, The 33 Strategies of War.
"The greatest military🪖disasters in history have more often than not originated from leaders👑who lack ♟️ strategic wisdom." — Robert Greene
"No battle can be won in the study, and theory without practice is dead." — Alexander Suvorov
"The knowledge📚of higher leadership🪖can only be acquired by the study of military history 📖 and actual experience." — Napoleon Bonaparte
"I never read any treatises on strategy ♟️....When we fight, we do not take any books with us." — Mao Tse-Tung

P.S. In the near future, Aemond and the rest of the teenage dragonlords will also likely be a bit jealous and envious of Adara at first. When they learn that Winterchild was practically a child soldier who had her fair share of battles in a prehistoric age rife with sword and sorcery. Then, they'll feel shocked and a bit queasy when she bluntly describes her experiences on the battlefield in explicit detail. All of them (especially the bloodthirsty ones like Aegon, Aemond and Baela) will begin to realize that war itself isn't as glorious as it's cracked up to be. Furthermore, once she assumes command and control over House Targaryen. She may introduce 'new' ideas, tactics and strategies to the already outdated and traditional styles and doctrines of Westerosi and dragon warfare during her war council meetings with the Targaryens. Like Aemond and Daeron, she possesses tactical intelligence and a keen understanding of warfare. Unlike them and the rest of the royal children, however, she also possesses strategic wisdom and battlefield experience that cannot be simply simulated and honed by just training and reading books alone.

https://powerseductionandwar.com/tactical-hell-or-strategic-heaven/#:~:text=The incompetent and stupid are,leaders who lack strategic wisdom.
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-and-worst-things-about-Aemond-Targaryen
https://www.reddit.com/r/HouseOfThe.../the_loss_of_aemonds_eye_was_everyones_fault/
https://www.tumblr.com/the-daily-dr...ns-saying-aemond-was-right-losing-his-eye-was
https://collider.com/house-of-the-dragon-aemond-targaryen-beyond-fire-blood-book/
https://collider.com/house-of-the-dragon-aemond-vhagar-ewan-mitchell-comments/
https://collider.com/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-aemond-kinslayer/
https://collider.com/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-daemon-aemond-betrayal/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eudSWhruUNA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAvT5t0QEw&pp=ygUQYWVtb25kIHRhcmdhcnllbg==
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esJ6fSY2CQI
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH82oMJTcOXJrZ4hXNguTOkRznztDFgIc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXG9JUQHHE&list=PLycRb3yDtW4Z91FlhOO_JPCxA6x47zunr&index=33&pp=iAQB

Last edited:
hq720.jpg

Cersei Lannister: We still outnumber them.
Robert Baratheon: Which is the bigger number: Five or one?
Cersei: Five.
Robert: [holding up his fingers] Five. [holding up a fist]One. One army - a real army united behind one leader with one purpose. Our purpose died with the Mad King. Now we've got as many armies as there are men with gold in their purse. And everybody wants something different.
Game of Thrones, "The Wolf and the Lion".

"Be it thy course to busy giddy minds with foreign quarrels." — King Henry IV Lancaster of England, 👑 Henry IV, Part 2.
"Know who you're dealing with—do not offend the wrong person." — Robert Greene, The 48 Laws♟️of Power.

Adara and the Targaryens don't realize yet that they absolutely need each other. None of them can actually defeat this threat with their dragons alone. There are reasons why the Three-Eyed Raven, the Old Gods, and perhaps the Fourteen Flames and all the other powers that be have chosen to assign the Winterchild and Daeron the Daring this duet role of being the new prophesied savior. Besides the fact, there are no other viable options.

If the White Walkers from HBO's Game of Thrones had invaded Westeros during the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, they would have ultimately lost with mid to high difficulty. The Night King is portrayed as being reckless on the battlefield, with the White Walkers lacking effective strategy beyond overwhelming the enemy with numbers. In contrast, the book version of the Others shows more strategic planning, such as coordinating attacks and using deception. In the show, the White Walkers are portrayed as weak and easily defeated, with the wights crumbling easily. However, in the books, the wights are much stronger, requiring burning or dismemberment to kill, and are immune to dragonglass. The Others in the books are heavily implied to possess giant ice spiders and at least one ice dragon, making them much more formidable opponents.

The main advantage of the Others is their ability to increase their numbers over time by converting those they kill into wights. While the show depicts around 20-30 White Walkers, the books suggest there are at least 99, with the potential for even more due to sacrifices of human babies over the years. The book Others also have a range of abilities not seen in the show, such as camouflage armor, the ability to disappear into shadows, and the power to incapacitate soldiers with extreme cold. They are experts at seeing in the dark, which could give them a significant advantage at night. They seem to be able to somehow control or affect the weather whenever they are nearby. Because there is always either this chilly mist or cold and wintry storm 🌨️ that comes with them. Therefore, opponents have no choice but to face them in total darkness when they come down and invade.

In conclusion, the book version of the Others would pose a much greater threat to Westeros than the show's White Walkers. With their strategic planning, powerful abilities, and increasing numbers, they would likely overcome any opposition, even potentially resurrecting fire dragons to aid them. The idea of a prophesized hero being needed to defeat them emphasizes the extreme danger they pose to the world of Westeros. If there is no Prince Who is Promised in this era, then I say the book Others win with low to mid difficulty. Because if the book Others have the same ice spears as the show and can resurrect fire dragons then its a wrap, once they get one dragon it won't take long to get all 18 or 19 of them. They would win with nearly zero difficulty. There's a reason that the world needs a magical prophesised saviour to defeat them because they can never hope to do it themselves, even with a thousand dragons.

Also, I can think of more than one reason why the Others perceive Adara to be a challenge to them like the Raven said. Adara is somehow similar to the Others but at same time they aren't really alike. Unlike them, she was born from a human not created. I think one of the main reasons why they see her as a challenge is because other supernatural powers that be may potentially use her to replace them at the top of the pecking order to restore balance since she doesn't actively pursue the destruction of all life. And because she might also have the same kind of magical abilities as the Others but doesn't really know how to fully use them yet. The Others are currently at the top or at least near the top of the mystical food chain at this point and time. Apex predators like them never like nor can tolerate even the remotest possibility of a potential rival gunning for their throne. As I've said before in another post, Daeron Targaryen himself may have latent powers that haven't been awakened through his mother's side of the family tree. Since, the Hightowers and Starks were both First Men and rumored to be kin (according to the mythical legends of Garth Greenhand and his children) before the Andals invaded. Like the unaired pilot of HBO's Blood Moon has confirmed. Before the Andals came, the First Men and COTF had lived together in a quite a considerably long period of peaceful coexistence after the Others retreated back to the Lands of Always Winter and after the two species had forged an important treaty or pact that's now to lost to human memory. The abilities of skinchanging and greensight probably wasn't common amongst the First Men until after this more peace-filled era of coexistence between them and the Children of the Forest happened. A multitude of them also could have mated and had a bunch of children with the Earthsingers which is how their descendants afterward came to inherit these abilities as well (unless they received their skinchanging and greenseer abilities by the Earthsingers who taught them to do some kind of magic ritual or sacrifice to the Old Gods which is more likely). In House of the Dragon, Daeron's sister Helaena might not only be a dreamer like Daenys but also a greenseer too. She has dragon dreams, which is a trait that runs in the Targaryen family. As far as we knew, Helaena's abilities seemed to be just visions inherited by the Valyrian side of her family thus far, but in the season two finale she clearly exhibits supernatural abilities and greenseer traits. Since, her abilities resemble those of the Three-Eyed Raven, a character we see during Daemon's weirwood vision in the show. So, it can also be possible in this story that all her siblings and kin may possess an inactive but different affinity to the spectrum that is magic due to their ancestral heritage which they aren't aware of. . .yet.
GUOZGRbakAAPNsh.jpg

Either way, when Aemond comes back to the capital. He'll realize quite sooner than his show canon counterpart that his strange but beloved sister is a seer after everything that he's just encountered and witnessed. Helaena Targaryen is secretly a dreamer in House of the Dragon, but no one ever believes her prophecies or dismisses her riddles and mutterings as dimwitted nonsense including her lazy and self-indulgent douche of a dad Viserys who supposedly had a vision and mistakenly thought the Prince Who Was Promised would be the son that Aemma bore him. The Targaryens only survived the Doom of Valyria because of the existence of a dreamer, which makes their ignorance and refusal to accept Helaena's power so confusing. This is one of the reasons why I blame Aegon the Conqueror for assimilating the line of Rhaenys into the totally rigid and absolutely hypocritical culture and religion of the Andals. Due to this and other factors, the Targaryens begun ignoring the influence of magic, which is really the source of their diminishing power and influence. Anyways, I think one of the most likely questions that I believe Aemond will ask Helaena since he'll be one of the first to finally realize that she's a seer. Is whether or not that they can trust Adara and if she'll pose any kind of danger to their family? And Helaena's subtle reply is more or less be that as long as Aemond and everyone else in their family doesn't attempt to manipulate nor backstab Adara. Then the Winterchild will never harm nor turn on them ever. Since, she's honestly a girl of her word and won't ever betray her allies unless they are egotistically stupid enough to betray her first. And she doesn't harm the innocent just the guilty (or at least those who try to get in her way). In short, Helaena will likely advise Aemond and the rest of their kin that it's far better for them to never piss the Winterchild off and work with her instead of against her. Since, she and perhaps Daeron are actually their leaders now and the realm's only hope of survival. So, all of (including Daemon who I know will be more than irritated that he has to follow the commands of children until the Winterchild personally straightens him out) them must follow the chain of command or perish when winter comes.
war-map-house-of-the-dragon-s2e1-6-v0-bcfmglu57ged1.png

"In the midst of chaos⚔️, there is also opportunity." — Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
"Take small bites🦈. Before people realize it, you have accumulated an empire." — Robert Greene, The 33♟️ Strategies of War.
"He who obtains the principality by the assistance of the nobles🐍maintains⚖️himself🤴 with more difficulty than he who comes to it by the aid of the people." — Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

I'm curious to see the social and geopolitical upheaval Adara's actions will bring to the male-dominated system of Westeros and beyond. As far as I can see, she's a true leader who could bring revolutionary change to this world. The potential impact of the massive power shift that will inevitably happen when she seizes absolute control over House Targaryen is possibly greater than that of the Doom itself, depending on the decisions and commands that Adara may make in the near future. But I won't be surprised if she acts like Genghis Khan in this fic in terms of ruthlessness and meritocratic leadership. A character who deliberately creates a common threat for the warring factions to unite against and promotes individuals based on merit rather than noble birth, which helps her gain loyalty from her future followers and fosters a sense of unity. And often utilizes fear and reputation as tools to intimidate opponents, often leading to surrender without battle. She's also a combination of Joan of Arc, Lawrence of Arabia and Cincinnatus; meaning she embodies the strong leadership and inspirational charisma of Joan of Arc (and like Adara, the French peasant girl was also ultimately betrayed by her own countrymen) as well as the strategic prowess and ability to rally diverse forces like Lawrence of Arabia. Because perhaps by the end of this journey beyond the Wall, Adara might gain more potential strong allies that'll ultimately bolster and support her unconventional and unprecedented position of regency over the House of the Dragon as well as the realm itself: such as the North and the Free Folk. Because normally, the Northerners don't care enough to involve themselves in the politics of the south. This time, they have no choice since the Others are coming and they need the Targs set their bullshit aside and command their dragons and the rest of the kingdoms to help them. And the wildlings don't want to die and be added to ranks of the armies of the dead. Hence, I'm certain Cregan Stark and his vassals by extension will no doubt follow Adara's lead and support her unprecedented role as regent over the royal family because his kingdom will be the first one to be ravaged first by the Long Night. And just like her, he doesn't really care about the Targaryens' dysfunctional family drama and has no desire to waste precious time and manpower over their petty bullshit when their real enemy is coming to destroy not just the realm but all life on this earth. Adara has the dutifulness and willingness to let go of power just like Cincinnatus which I'm sure will perpetually surprise everyone by the end of this story. And I'm sure she'll be highly respected for it in the future even if a number of people can't actually fathom why she would do so while some like Cregan Stark, Jeyne Arryn, Princess Rhaenys, Mysaria and Daeron will to a certain extent.

Just like the Black Death and the Bronze Age Collapse, the Long Night and Winter Fever represents a period of extreme devastation and widespread death, potentially causing significant societal disruption and population decline. After the Others are vanquished, will the lords and ladies of Westeros could very well go right back to scheming or will the feudal system of Westeros be significantly altered in any way in this story, I wonder? After all, this is can be a great opportunity for the Targaryens to further consolidate their royal power over the continent and continue to centralize the entire realm into more of a nation-state instead of the decentralized confederation that it is. That is if any of the surviving Targs within the aftermath of this cataclysmic war are politically astute and intelligent enough to realize and enact such a plan in the first place. After all, a consolidation of power, especially if it has to be done quickly, comes in response to a crisis such as a war or an invasion.

Since the lack of successful centralization in the realm of Westeros can be attributed to a considerable number of interrelated factors. I think the most common answer to this is that circumstances got in the way. Aegon I was more concerned with completing/consolidating the conquest; Aenys and Maegor were focused on completing Aegon's work, especially the Red Keep, and maintaining their own positions; and then Jaeherys attempted centralization without rocking the boat too much. The Old King tried for decades to reform and unify the disparate laws of the Seven Kingdoms, he built roads to knit the regions closer together, and he made his yearly progresses to demonstrate Targaryen supremacy. Like Jaehaerys managed to do some centralisation with codifying all laws into one and building the kingsroad. But his later years were spent much like his predecessors, being reactive instead of proactive. Viserys I wanted everyone to like him so he didn't impose any major reforms to the laws, even when it could have benefited his female heir. His inaction and foolishness is partly what led to the Dance of Dragons. Then the Dance screwed everything and set the kingdoms against each other. Further, killing all the fighting dragons removed the central unifying power structure that kept Targaryen rule unquestioned. Changes in relative power frequently precipitate conflict and predictably the kingdoms faced rebellion after rebellion, civil war after civil war.

Feudal systems are decentralized by their very nature (you get lordship of some land, you provide taxes and levies when your overlord calls). Keeping one's vassals balanced against each other keeps any one from challenging you, and 1-v-1 the highest lord should be able to take on any rebels, but you're essentially first among equals. It's a durable system overall but prone to frequent internal conflict, hence pre-Targ Westeros never being unified in any sustained way. Targaryen power in Westeros was not in land or armies but dragons, so post-Dance you have a feudal overlord with imperial ambitions that is demonstrably less powerful than several of his vassals.

On a side note, I think Aegon V "the Unlikely" shows the paradox the Targaryens were in, especially after the dragons died out. Egg (as he is known as a kid and as I'll call him for simplicity sake) was a reformer and hence the most unique monarch out of all the Targaryen kings. He implemented many necessary reforms to win the love of the "smallfolk", and promote growth and trade by allowing small businesses to take off more. The problem is, with the way things were set up leading to his reign, of a very rigid feudal and manorial system with little mobility, multiple lords rebelled because of their lost privileges. This meant Egg spent a lot of his reign putting out these insurrections. These constant, unending petty rebellions made Egg desperate for a solution. Desperate enough to try and resurrect the dragons. In his failure, he destroyed Summerhall (the Targaryens second seat of power later on, both a vacation home and a very rich and fertile area), and got himself and his son and heir burned alive. This left his sickly and a lot more traditional son Jaehaerys II in charge, and put his grandson Aerys (who would grow into the Mad King Aerys II) further up in the line of succession. In other words, the Targaryens needed both dragons and their own personally massive army to keep a whole continent in check. As well as finding constant ways to make sure that they influence and control the peasants more than the nobles do.

By contrast, true imperial systems like Valyria or Old Ghis are extremely centralized, with one entity utterly dominating and exploiting all others through economic, mercantile, and military force. But those systems tend to disintegrate when you remove the instruments of power that enable the central entity to dominate their vassals. Common cultural unifiers like language, religion, communications infrastructure, and trade have kept much of the Seven Kingdoms together longer than would be expected given the power relationships involved, but it seems pretty clear that as a single entity the Seven Kingdoms' power has ebbed steadily since the Dance and without a central dominating power to assume control, they will eventually fall apart. Which is exactly what happened in the books. In short, the Targaryens can pretty much be divided into two almost separate dynasties pre and post Dance due to the drastic loss of power.

Pre-Dance:
The Targaryens didn't care to institute too many drastic reforms, taking their lead from Aegon the Conqueror who seemed to prefer a more decentralized system and tried to avoid interfering with localized politics and traditions. Jaehaerys did a fair bit to try centralize Westeros but aside from that no other Targaryen King pre-Dance really shared that ambition.

Post-Dance:
The Targaryens power and dynastic respect took a massive hit. They went from Westeros' near undisputed Valyrian dragon riding masters to just the ruling house of the time. Rhaenyra's and Daemon's descendant Aegon V tried unsuccessfully to institute reform but was plagued with rebellion and disobedience because he lacked the power to force it through. Anyways, a lot of this is likely reflective of GRRM's own views on how reform happens with drastic reform needing violence and more subtle progress requiring some level of improvement in general education and/or living standards. Westeros also struggles by virtue of geography and cultural disparity. It's very big and there is at least one or two fundamentally incompatible culture pairings.

Generally lords are very prickly about their power and privileges, and while Targaryens can break them by force, it tends to be expensive and risky. Especially if too many of them feel threatened at once. The closest any king came to restricting the power of certain lords was probably Aegon V passing laws for the sake of the smallfolk, and he faced constant opposition and even rebellions for it. But the one thing that made Aegon really special in that regard is that he cared a lot more about how the realm was run for the benefit of most of the people living in it, while other Targaryens were often just trying to make sure they were the ones running it, and keeping the status quo was the safest course of action in the short term. Many of the Targaryens before and after Aegon V weren't exactly wise and smart rulers. They were entilted and spoiled. Even the good ones have an over inflated perception of themselves and a fucked up perception of things. Also, the Targs were never really liked all that much, they were mostly tolerated. Also, there is no sense of national identity on Westeros. These people were their own thing in every one of the kingdoms for thousands of years until the Targs came and said "No"....and then did essentially nothing to foster complete unity.

Furthermore, House Targaryen's biggest weakness is that their power is rooted in fear. Now that's an effective tool for being followed, but it does not inspire loyalty. Tywin Lannister's dynasty crumbled the moment he died because there was no one to be afraid of. Aerys had no weapon of mass destruction (except wildfire) at all and saw his family come to ruin. Rhaenyra basically sat aside and did nothing when the smallfolk slaughter all of her dragons. They all should've learned to work with their citizens, nobility and smallfolk alike (but the smallfolk mainly since the commoners tend to always outnumber the nobility. Three to one), instead of holding themselves above them as if they were actually chosen by gods. Instead they're a family slowly tearing their kingdom apart piece by piece. Their overall reliance on the dragons to win wars and as political tools to solely maintain their rule over the realm was very shortsighted error on their part. After all, a dragon or a sharp sword isn't always a suitable tool for solving all problems. That's why Adara will be the one to majorly hold the reins of power instead of the Targaryens in this AU. Because she has a more controlled temper and never acts without thinking. And that she precisely knows when and how to demonstrate a fine balance between violence and mercy in terms of sovereignty and leadership. Even if she (for now) bears neither crown nor title of a sovereign in this fanfic (but she may really become one or may be offered such a regal position of power if she later on becomes renowned and seen as a living folklore hero by the people of Westeros. Especially among the Crownlanders, the Riverlords, the Northerners and of course, many of the smallfolk in general. The Targaryens will inevitably want Adara to officially become a part of their family through marriage to one of their princes due to the control she has over her massive dragon as well as her own powers which we haven't specifically seen yet. Any abilities that can be inherited from her magical blood could probably empower the Targaryen dynasty and doubly enhance the potency of magic in their bloodline is a thought that'll run through their minds once they realize that she means them no harm. But I think that she can care little and less for any offers of wealth, power and status. Currently speaking, Adara just wants to fly far away from human civilization and live wild and free in the cold wilderness with Frostsinger. She's completely done with humans and their self-destructive bullshit).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WMEdnBoQcxA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmrUTR_7oc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss4yw9-zUvc
https://readomain.com/read/theprincebyniccolomachiavelli/chapter9/begin
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/p/the-prince/summary-and-analysis/chapter-9
https://bjpcjp.github.io/pdfs/behavior/48-laws-power/The-48-Laws-of-Power-Robert-Greene.pdf
http://48laws-of-power.blogspot.com...oure-dealing-with-do.html?m=1#google_vignette
https://metallicman.com/laoban4site...not-offend-the-wrong-person-48-laws-of-power/
https://www.cbr.com/house-of-the-dragon-helaena-targaryen-seer-prophecies-explained/
https://collider.com/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-helaena-greenseer-powers/
https://screenrant.com/house-of-the-dragon-helaena-targaryen-bran-stark-replacement/
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/y6zr32/spoilers_published_the_empire_of_the_dawn_and/#
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1j0roz/spoilers_all_grrm_drawing_inspiration_from_black/
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-none-of-the-kings-of-Westeros-try-to-centralize-their-realm
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/15mic6k/spoilers_extended_why_didnt_the_valyrian_freehold/
https://atheoryoficefire.quora.com/How-did-the-Targaryens-rule-so-long-before-Robert
https://warsofasoiaf.tumblr.com/post/138017854841/what-would-it-take-for-westeros-to-start-moving
https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-think-about-the-Valyrian-Invasion-of-Hardhome-Theory
https://towerofthehand.com
https://towerofthehand.com/blog/2015/01/04-worst-man-in-westeros-slavers/
https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/essays/
https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/a-laboratory-of-politics/
https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hollow-crowns-and-deadly-thrones/
https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hands-of-the-king/
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-8CZiYA3p9Mlxq9f9Swfs1qO8mkId_lP
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNzLIPV6_4lzKwxNzGBJG77tF4A9KOc1n
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaBYW76inbX7fRvdlVyeCBNVXXp6_Pmuc
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2eDLj_mdbyvUocz9ZX9yKNigbEoApbH8
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUyGT3KDxwC8xD2S2Q1IqH_S_ocWwXWHv
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4VoyER2bxcQs1Z6V77QFe2TcEzTm1phC
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsTzegJZgtyh4kNfnrSuT2BUb-iREgntm
https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Wh...or-Ahai-What-are-the-dark-mysteries-of-Asshai
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHvft-cyPmAMAMVS1CITMYC4FGyTlhjb
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl22MT8gNGbva6o1UH9i0FvEWGKIl6xmZ
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl22MT8gNGbv3fnQ6srS-qIckS-E_hmV6

Last edited:
DfQQugijb5eTXql2qihvGVZyWgW9pz8t6I_UiZmhztU.png

I believe that there are quite a number of reasons why this world hasn't technologically advanced for thousands of years and not all of them can be solely blamed on the paranormal existence of the Others. They (the entirety of Planetos as far as we know) have been fairly stagnant for at least 8,000 years, likely longer. Seems excessive, our world changed a little faster than that. But I think it's the loss of magic that makes them seem so "primitive", for lack of a better term. Magic took the place of technology and as it's died tech hasn't replaced it.

Another short answer for why Westeros isn't industrialized yet is because GRRM didn't want it to be. But if we search for the in-world reasons though, I think it's just too early. The last Long Night was a reset point, it occurred 8,000 BC or so they say. In the books, Sam pointed out to Jon Snow the fact that the Maesters and every other scholar themselves cannot precisely pinpoint that time means that the most of the human knowledge was generally lost at that time. Around 4700 BC, so not that long after the Long Night, Valyrian Freehold removed its main competitor, Old Empire of Ghis, and dominated the world until 102 BC. Since this was an empire based on slavery, they literally had no need or incentive for improving technology. This is what people don't get about Rome: Rome wouldn't bring technological civilization, as some people claim, they had slave-based economy, they didn't need technology. Same situation with Valyria. So the time starts again after the destruction of Valyria, events of the War of the Five Kings take place just around 400 years after the destruction of Valyria. If the destruction of Valyria is the end of their Antiquity, however long it lasted, their Middle Ages just begun 400 years ago. It's just not enough time for the development of technology to reach industrial era.

In recent centuries, people didn't live in the constant fear of the Long Night: the events of the Long Night were all but forgotten during the events of ASOIAF, in the books nearly nobody have ever seen the Others, in the show they obviously made them more common, still, before the actual attack of the Others nobody considered them as real. Which is exactly what the Others wanted them all to believe and think. As part of their waiting game and overall strategy due to the fact that humans themselves have short lifespans and even shorter memories. Too much has passed and they reverted back to fighting amongst themselves like the Others have patiently predicted.

As for Westeros (or rather the whole of "Planetos"), theres' a few unique factors in play. The long and irregular winters would slow progress by forcing societies into survival mode, with a high casualty rate. For much of ASOIAF history, magic was a powerful and practical force, which would replace technology and absorb a lot of the limited intellectual labour effort available (why be an engineer when you can be a magician?). Lastly, in Essos (which accounts for much of the world's economy) slavery was and is universal, and it's thought that the availability of cheap human labour discourages the invention of mechanical labour, which, in it's early stages, is often unreliable, expensive and limited in capability and versatility. It's thought that the latter factor might be one of the principle reasons for the Roman Empire never developing more advanced technology despite having many thinkers capabl of inventing it.

If you cannot predict the length of the seasons, you cannot properly plan how much food to stockpile before winter. Even if they knew, there's an upper limit of how long you can store before food starts going bad and you're not benefitting from stockpiling. It's not that winter is long that's particularly the issue, it's that it's inconsistent. Except for the very few elites, everyone is in a save for winter - survive winter cycle. Except for military/related military production and prostitution, there is little for commoners to do apart from farming/fishing and food related logistics. Commoners work to save for winter, lords tax the farmers and enforce their rule with their militaries, and even in periods without war there is almost guaranteed to be a famine once every 10 years. A complete lack of food surplus means that the population has little ability to innovate or take risks doing things that have never been done before. If you think outside of the box, you're almost guaranteeing your death. Of course, this is mainly due to the Others but I also think that this world's stagnation is because of the humans as well.

Furthermore, I've always figured Westeros's lack of societal progress also had something to do with the people setting themselves back with their constant warring and looting. In Essos, the Dothraki burned entire civilizations along with its great knowledge, and the Valyrians (and also Valyria was highly magically advanced. They probably focused more on developing magic than technology. When the Doom happened, a lot of their knowledge died with them) did it before them. Westeros was in a constant state of war before the Conquest. The Doom of Valyria also destroyed so much technological marvels and Valyrian knowledge. Similar to the Dark Ages after the fall of Rome or the flood of Alexandria. Valyria had its knowledge concentrated in one spot, and it all went up in flames.

There's a few key differences with our world. Like the Maesters who seem to be controlling every domain of science and technology (because the grey rats 🐀 are deliberately keeping knowledge to themselves. They don't want most people to be able to read and write. They don't want books to be easily copied. They want to be people's only source of knowledge). Westeros is also NOT densely populated. The Targaryens remaining stagnant is in their advantage due to dragons. If you have fighter jets, you don't want your subjects to develop tanks or anti-aircraft technology themselves. AGOT is darker and deadlier than the regular Middle Ages so science can be slower. Also, the middle ages are really long and GoT doesn't have an absurdly long timeline. Then consider that industrialization is NOT something that happens naturally in the growing process of any civilisation. It's a step where a lot of civilisations got stuck and couldn't move past. Like China, Japan or Rome. Industrialisation takes a ton of luck and ingenuity to figure out.

I saw a video by Preston Jacobs on YouTube a while ago where he argued GRRM wanted ASOIAF to be Marxist in terms of economic and social development and tbh I see this argument! Dragons and magic are so powerful that they keep the ruling class in power for a long time, and so the feudal/monarchical system doesn't change. During the "modern" main story, dragons are (mostly) gone and so conflicts require technological innovation for one side to have an advantage over another, as is the case in our real history.

By the end of the books, though the show doesn't do this, we are meant to assume that the only thing which will stop the Long Night is all of Westeros coming together to defeat a common enemy. We are also shown repeatedly by GRRM that monarchy and feudal conflict is very bad for the people, and characters like Dany talk about not "stopping the wheel" of feudalism, but "breaking" it. Preston Jacobs also argued that the actual book ending of ASOIAF is meant to be the weakening or the end of monarchy and the introduction of some kind of democracy, as well as centralising the Seven Kingdoms into one state (even Joffrey talks about this in season 1 with an army just for the crown). This would also be the result of, and would itself encourage, economic development out of feudalism and into mercantilism, proto-capitalism, capitalism etc.

The problem is as is established Westeros was in perpetual conflict with each other's kingdom for thousands of years, and combined with harsh winters this kept stunting the development of Westeros because so many men kept dying and so much was spent on warfare and just surviving. When Aegon's Conquest happened peace was mostly achieved, but this made things worse during warfare as when war came now all the kingdom was having to get involved, the Dance of the Dragons for example killed tens of thousands and left the Riverlands badly damaged while food later ran scarce due to the men having left to fight rather then gather crops, and as populations grew winters kept affecting and hampering them, the North for example is perpetually stalled because of its climate and the winter affecting it the most. The Citadel is also hoarding knowledge and the maesters clearly don't want people getting ideas of their own, so is deliberately preventing society from modernising to keep knowledge under their control and lords dependent on them. So, the simplest answer for all this stagnation is war, power lust, and magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=op6seNKakmo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRTUqBfou4Y
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbPyQ8lWGoyoRs3kr72brm8j8uo26Uyu
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzmxZDoWkpQ&pp=ygUoaG91c2Ugb2YgdGhlIGRyYWdvbiBiYXNlZCBvbiB0aGUgYW5hcmNoeQ==
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl22MT8gNGbva6o1UH9i0FvEWGKIl6xmZ
https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Pilot_(Bloodmoon)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HqUzLVn5FQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1S9zIIsv0
https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/politics-of-the-seven-kingdoms/
https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/03/an-economic-map-of-the-seven-kingdoms/
https://racefortheironthrone.wordpr...throne-westerosi-economic-development-series/
https://warsandpoliticsoficeandfire.wordpress.com/2019/12/19/economics-of-westeros-ii/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back