• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Alea Iacta Est - a Worm AU Fanfic

Okay, now I'm curious.
You have no one to blame but YOURSELF.

"You wait; she'll ask us if we're interested in each other."

I stared. "You're shitting me."

"I shit you not." Another flashing grin. "It's okay; I'll tell her we're not serious."
*points up*

Oh, I TOTALLY ship it. And half-sisters makes it so delightfully transgressive!

Besides, can you just IMAGINE that phone call?

"Um... Danny... about the fact that your daughters are now dating...."

"Andrea, you should know me well enough to know that I don't care if Taylor's ga-"

"No. No no no. You need to LISTEN. Let me say it again: About the fact that YOUR daughterS are now dating...."

*thud*clatter*

"...did you just faint? ...god dammit, he just fainted, didn't he. *sigh* MEN."

... Hate to say it, but yeah, you guys convinced me. I'm hopping on board the ship. Poor Ack. He tries to write a nice clean story and this happens.
Yay, I'm helping! :D

Besides, I never suggested Ack write anything but a nice, clean story. He doesn't need to. My imagination is strong. *eyebrow waggle*

You have no one to blame but YOURSELF.

*points up*

Oh, I TOTALLY ship it. And half-sisters makes it so delightfully transgressive!

Besides, can you just IMAGINE that phone call?

"Um... Danny... about the fact that your daughters are now dating...."

"Andrea, you should know me well enough to know that I don't care if Taylor's ga-"

"No. No no no. You need to LISTEN. Let me say it again: About the fact that YOUR daughterS are now dating...."

*thud*clatter*

"...did you just faint? ...god dammit, he just fainted, didn't he. *sigh* MEN."
It get the feeling this is more likely in Meet the Heberts than here in Alea Iacta Est.

Glenn is going to tear his hair over this one as well. An all-girl independent team? PR Gold!
...I hadn't even noticed that aspect. Holy crap, now I want Dinah to start poaching girls from all the other teams in the Bay.

Glenn would be FREAKING OUT.

"Look at this! They've got the tiny brainy one! The serious solemn one! The one with the power she's scared of!"

"Yeah, about that... Sundancer wants a restraining order against Trickster. He keeps showing up and begging her to come back."

"...we'll deal with it. Hell, they've even got the woobie with the power that messes with her! Incidentally, Faultline's still upset about Labyrinth joining them."

"Uh... Glenn? They managed to get a 'dirty girl,' too. Squealer managed to join somehow."

"The toys I could have sold with that team.... *sob*"

On a serious note, how good is Dinah's ability to manage people and help them use their powers? Because if she could meaningfully help Noelle or Elle deal with the issues with their powers...

But yeah, there could be some interesting stuff occurring.
With a goal in mind, she can tell exactly who can help, who can't, and who won't, and what the people who can help will be bringing to the table. She can then determine exactly what role is ideal for each participant, and how best they can work together to achieve that goal. Finally, she can determine how to get the job done most efficiently and most effectively, and give instructions to that end.

Thirty seconds after walking into a room full of strangers.

With a goal in mind, she can tell exactly who can help, who can't, and who won't, and what the people who can help will be bringing to the table. She can then determine exactly what role is ideal for each participant, and how best they can work together to achieve that goal. Finally, she can determine how to get the job done most efficiently and most effectively, and give instructions to that end.

Thirty seconds after walking into a room full of strangers.
...fuck me, the Endbringers are going to have a sharp shock, aren't they.

Admittedly, some capes are going to be PISSED when she takes one look at them declares them "worthless to the fight" and benches them.

...fuck me, the Endbringers are going to have a sharp shock, aren't they.

Admittedly, some capes are going to be PISSED when she takes one look at them declares them "worthless to the fight" and benches them.
"You, you and you. Search and rescue. You, you're here to impress girls. Go home. You and you, front line. You, you and you, you'll cave and run away. Go home. You and you, ranged support .."

You, you're here to impress girls. Go home.
Except she might be able to phrase this as something like, 'go attend to this task that will allow you to claim you were here when you try to impress girls, but which nonetheless keeps you out of the way of useful people and - more importantly - convinces you not to kick up a fuss in response to my instructions and thereby waste everyone's valuable time.'

Except she might be able to phrase this as something like, 'go attend to this task that will allow you to claim you were here when you try to impress girls, but which nonetheless keeps you out of the way of useful people and - more importantly - convinces you not to kick up a fuss in response to my instructions and thereby waste everyone's valuable time.'
When you've got Alexandria standing beside you, objections tend to melt away. :p

Does Taylor have any kind of use limit on her power? She's been using the dice an awful lot compared to the number of questions Dinah got per day with her canon power.

Does Taylor have any kind of use limit on her power? She's been using the dice an awful lot compared to the number of questions Dinah got per day with her canon power.
Her hand started cramping earlier when she used it too much, as I recall.

The limit is a couple orders of magnitude higher than Dinah's was, though. This is compensated for by a couple limitations: (1) must roll dice or dice-substitutes and then observe the result, (2) no way to peek at a specific future (as Dinah did on a rather important occasion near the beginning of the S9 arc).

Her hand started cramping earlier when she used it too much, as I recall.

The limit is a couple orders of magnitude higher than Dinah's was, though. This is compensated for by a couple limitations: (1) must roll dice or dice-substitutes and then observe the result, (2) no way to peek at a specific future (as Dinah did on a rather important occasion near the beginning of the S9 arc).
I only noticed the hand cramping when she asked unanswerable questions. It makes sense as an overuse warning although it's kind of irrelevant if the limit is as high as you say.

Taylor's secondary power of perfectly guided throwing seems handy if not quite as momentous as the specific future peek. I've seen people suggest it's limited to "predictive" throws but the basketball scene seemed to suggest otherwise. Even if that's a real limitation Taylor can always do "if the sun will rise in the east tomorrow then [crazy trick shot will work]" when asking for a "prediction."

I only noticed the hand cramping when she asked unanswerable questions. It makes sense as an overuse warning although it's kind of irrelevant if the limit is as high as you say.

Taylor's secondary power of perfectly guided throwing seems handy if not quite as momentous as the specific future peek. I've seen people suggest it's limited to "predictive" throws but the basketball scene seemed to suggest otherwise. Even if that's a real limitation Taylor can always do "if the sun will rise in the east tomorrow then [crazy trick shot will work]" when asking for a "prediction."
The basketball shot was about as far as she could push the secondary power. Friendly competition equals nonaggressive conflict, so the shard said, "oh, okay, yeah, you can do that with it." :p

Her hand will cramp after a certain number of dice rolls, as anyone's would. But yeah, it's not limited to a certain number of questions, as canon!Dinah is. Questions that she can't answer right now will cramp the crap out of her hand though. Literally, if the answer could be one of several numbers, her hand will try to roll them all at once, and the muscles will fight against each other. Instant cramp, whee.

So random thought, what if she asks her power what number she'll roll on the die she's rolling?

So random thought, what if she asks her power what number she'll roll on the die she's rolling?
She can roll one die and ask it what number she's going to roll on the next die she rolls. This will result in both dice ending up with the same number.

If she asks that of the die she's rolling ... it rolls.

What if she asks a die for a number she will not roll on that die? (I'm guessing "hand cramp".)
Correct.
Literally, if the answer could be one of several numbers, her hand will try to roll them all at once, and the muscles will fight against each other. Instant cramp, whee.
If she asks that of the die she's rolling ... it rolls.
So her power doesn't cause a cramp or anything as she attempts to confuse it? What if she asks it something like what is seven minus the number I am about to roll? Ooh, what if she asks it what is the chance of her rolling the number she is about to roll?

Correct.

So her power doesn't cause a cramp or anything as she attempts to confuse it? What if she asks it something like what is seven minus the number I am about to roll? Ooh, what if she asks it what is the chance of her rolling the number she is about to roll?
If she asks for a paradoxical result (one that doesn't have a solid, set answer) then she will get a hand cramp instead, of course.

If someone asks for a rolled result with the specific intent to screw with that result once it's retrieved, she just gets a cramp instead. Note that percentages are fine; if there's a thirty percent chance of someone doing something, and they do it, it just means that the thirty percent chance will come up.

But if someone asks "Will I raise my right or left hand after you roll the dice?" with the intent of raising whichever one is not named, she gets a cramp. Or, if they are particularly on point, she might get "FK U" instead.

I still want there to be a scene where there wasn't enough 30-sided number dice in stock from a single company so Danny had to get the rest from a different company, thinking nothing about them having slightly different layouts.

Taylor notices since she gets a hand cramp whenever she tries to use one of the brands, specifically when trying to use only the one with 4 'wildcard' spaces while mixing in the brand that fills those spots with <.> <,> <'> and <space> works just fine.

Turns out QA is a serious grammar nazi and refuses to write if it can't use proper punctuation. Taylor gets a little misty eyed at this, remember her mother choking down her fury at that english paper Taylor flubbed badly and forcing helping little Taylor correct it, thinking this is one more legacy Annette left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back