• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Bad Faith Quest

Irenicus would have been a fun choice too. Evil experiments on everything. But we don't have that option.
His breaking out of Spellhold was one of the most iconic scenes ever.

[X] "The Big Bad. Who else?" *smirk* (We're gonna party like it's 2002. Deal with it.)

I have no idea who the other two are, and I like Spike. Or at least some characterizations Spike. Death seeking blood knight who picks fights with slayers? Yes. Vicious, practical, cynical, shameless and cheerfully amoral bastard? Of course. Doomed, lovelorn romantic who is one bag of glitter away from starring in Twilight? No. Because no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I should have said 'party like it's 1998'. XD Seems like one person has been in favour of sticking to canon all the way to the technical-end, and literally everyone else wants fun-Spike instead of 'three-dimensional' Spike. Though I suppose most of the Draco-is-babySpike fanfics didn't show up until the Oughts regardless.

Fuck it. Means less rewatching for me, I'm not complaining.

FurikoMaru said:
Perhaps I should have said 'party like it's 1998'. XD Seems like one person has been in favour of sticking to canon all the way to the technical-end, and literally everyone else wants fun-Spike instead of 'three-dimensional' Spike. Though I suppose most of the Draco-is-babySpike fanfics didn't show up until the Oughts regardless.

I have nothing against a three-dimensional Spike. Even in his first appearances Spike was three-dimensional in that he could admire his opponent (Buffy) for her fighting skills, he genuinely cared for Drusilla and had some positive feeling toward Angel ("You were my Yoda, man!"). I have nothing against three-dimensional Spike. I just don't like pathetic "pining after Buffy" Spike.

FurikoMaru said:

Aye and even with a Morality pet spike does work because we know she is sort of a pet and nots "woe is me I need drama to get into the pants of a serial Necrophiliac "

Disminded said:
I have nothing against a three-dimensional Spike. Even in his first appearances Spike was three-dimensional in that he could admire his opponent (Buffy) for her fighting skills, he genuinely cared for Drusilla and had some positive feeling toward Angel ("You were my Yoda, man!"). I have nothing against three-dimensional Spike. I just don't like pathetic "pining after Buffy" Spike.

I quite agree, hence the quotation marks. I think that Marsters' skill at portraying the character got better as the show went along, but the actual character arc he was given past the fifth season was kind of hit and miss for me, and I didn't really care for the Buffy romance angle either. I missed Dru.

a big part of why i'm voting for spike is he's the only one i actually know anything about.

FurikoMaru said:
I quite agree, hence the quotation marks. I think that Marsters' skill at portraying the character got better as the show went along, but the actual character arc he was given past the fifth season was kind of hit and miss for me, and I didn't really care for the Buffy romance angle either. I missed Dru.
Oh you silly.

Everyone must love Buffy, and despair.

Because Joss Whedon is sustained by the tears of actors and fans.

mkire said:
a big part of why i'm voting for spike is he's the only one i actually know anything about.

*sigh* I really should just do a straight-up Morioh Quest sometime. Diamond is Not Crash is too much fun to be as neglected as it is. :(

Mononoke is only thirteen episodes long, but I highly recommend it, especially if you liked the early episodes of YYH.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] "A simple... medicine seller... am I." (Wait, how does someone like you die? ... never mind, I don't really want to know. o_O)

voldermort shall be OUR kill

Shall I just give up on writing a snip for Kusuri-uri-san and let Spike win? In retrospect I'm not so sure the Medicine Seller works as a first-person or second-person character.

FurikoMaru said:
Shall I just give up on writing a snip for Kusuri-uri-san and let Spike win? In retrospect I'm not so sure the Medicine Seller works as a first-person or second-person character.

I think we are all ready for a Spike quest.

:( :'( i wanted to take down moldyshorts with that demon sword.

So I'm not even getting a snippet to make up for losing the vote?
That's rather depressing.
But I can kind of understand how that character just doesn't work in a quest.

Pipeman said:
So I'm not even getting a snippet to make up for losing the vote?
That's rather depressing.

You're telling me. I was all psyched to get rid of Peeves.

:( But I realized that Kusuri-uri!Draco would be uninterested in the few interesting parts of canon; his powerset is geared towards dealing with ghosts, Boggarts, poltergeists and dark spirits in general, and there's so little canon material regarding the cosmology of Harry Potter that I'd have to write up entirely new Mononoke-calibre enemies every time I wanted something interesting to happen. If I wanted to do that much work I'd write an original story and be done with it.

Does he kill ghosts? Play with them? Because either way, Death Day would be a hoot.

So... When can we expect Spike the Magic Dragon to make his grand introduction?

Guile said:
Does he kill ghosts? Play with them? Because either way, Death Day would be a hoot.

He's a psychopomp for them, more or less. Mononoke aren't so much ghosts as they are the psychic 'stains' of emotional distress that cause harm to themselves and others. The Medicine Seller, who is by the most logical fan theories an ayakashi or youkai who converted to Buddhism, has a demon-sword that can defeat mononoke and disperse them, but only once he has determined the three truths of the spirit: Form, Truth and Regret (all of which can be translated as truth under the right circumstances, because Japanese is like that). Form is what type of mononoke they are, Truth is how they came to be, and Regret is what their motivation is. So basically he has to be his own Pokedex.

Oh, and he has a second-self who sometimes delivers the final blow. Don't quite know what's up with that.

Vindictus said:
So... When can we expect Spike the Magic Dragon to make his grand introduction?

Not just yet; I feel I owe it to Cosmos Quest to update first, and that update's basically gonna be a fancy-ass infodump that I'm having trouble making interesting.

Besides, I'd like to do more rewatching. I only got as far as Lie To Me last night.

So. Handwavium handwavium, AU Spike who dies during that whole Initiative business. We good? Good.

Actual British people, you have my permission to point out all the mistakes I'm going to make in my use of tough-guy slang and terminology in general. I'm just a Canadian; good enough to fake like I know this stuff, not good enough to always remember that it's a pitch not a field.

If no one minds, I'd like to start with you guys at eleven.

~

In a manor in Wiltshire, there lived a pureblood.

Not a decaying, faded ancient manor, nor a cold, loveless modern manor.

It was Malfoy Manor, and that means comfort.

GWANG! GWANG! GWANG!

And peacocks. For some reason Granddad really likes peacocks. One time one of them bit you when you got too close, and when you ran inside crying, he immediately demanded to know what you'd done to upset it. Crazy old bastard.

But that was years ago. Now you're tall enough that the birds avoid you when you cross the lawn; the only inconvenience they can provide now is by waking you up at an entirely ungodly hour.

"Dobby," you mumble, and with a crack the only entity more annoying than the peacocks stands before your bed. "Bring me toast."

"Master Draco is not to have meals in bed," Dobby says. "Mistress says he will surely attract insects."

"Well I'll eat at my sodding desk, then!" you groan, stretching. "Toast. Now." The elf nods, and runs off.

It takes you a moment to remember what day it is, and when you do your stomach jolts in anticipation. Today's the day you go shopping for Hogwarts. Today's the day you finally get your own wand.

You've practised with Mum's every so often - can't have a Malfoy going off to school without a leg up, after all - but you've never been able to get it to respond as well as she can. Granddad says it's because you lack finesse, but he can go fuck a goat; you'll bet he didn't learn to talk in complete sentences by 3 years old or how to fly a Double Eight Loop by 9 - what's that if not finesse?

(Granted, Father doesn't have too many kind words for the latter accomplishment, but Mum arranged to have a photo taken of it that still hangs in your bedroom.)

Dressing quickly, you devour your toast and run downstairs to wait in the entrance hall.

After fifteen minutes, you grudgingly admit that you have a while to wait, and head back upstairs. Taking a seat at your desk, you pull out your most cherished possession; a small notebook. You've never shown it to anyone, not even Mum, but for three years now you've been diligently filling it with thoughts and impressions and... occasionally... poems.

Right, you know they're crap, but so what? They're yours.

Gently, you unscrew the lid to your inkwell and dip the nib of your quill in it.

Schooldays soon begin apace

The rush of what's to come... bugger. Base? Chase? Erase? Face? Grace? Haste? Lace? Mace? Race? Taste? Vase? Waste? Gragh!

A half hour passes, and Mum sends word from the foyer that you're to depart. Sulkily, you give the poem up as a lost cause. It's more forward slash now than phrase, twisted and evil. And not the fun kind.

Mum purses her lips in that particular way when you get down the stairs. You brace yourself.

"Really, Draco, when you're at Hogwarts you'll have to dress in black every day. Would it be so terrible to wear something more cheerful? Mrs Zabini bought you those lovely new skylark blue robes for your birthday."

You're almost certain Blaise put her up to that. Some mate he turned out to be. "I like black, Mum," you protest weakly.

She tsks so tenderly that even the paintings flinch. "Don't be ridiculous, darling; it makes you look frightfully unwell."

"Leave the boy be, Narcissa," Father says, adjusting his collar on the advice of the hall mirror. "Black is a perfectly sensible colour for a wizard to wear."

You feel a rush of gratitude. You love Mum to bits, but there are some things only Father really gets.

Mum sighs. "I suppose I should be grateful not to have raised some tasteless dandy," she concedes, and kisses your father on the cheek. "Have a good day, darling."

He returns the gesture, and turns to you. "Today marks your first foray into wizarding society at large," he says sternly. "As such, you are to be mindful of your position as a Malfoy - Mr Ollivander is not being paid to listen to your cheek, do you understand me? And that applies to any other respectable people you encounter."

You grumble out a half-hearted promise, which quickly becomes a (manly) squeak of protest as he wraps you in a hug.

"And if you comport yourself acceptably I'll permit you to accompany your mother and me to lunch," he says finally, patting your hair as he pulls back.

"See you at lunch, then," you say. A few years ago you'd have told him goodbye, but you're too old for that stuff. You're a Hogwarts student now.

=

Your money has been withdrawn and Diagon Alley lies before you. Where do you go first?

[X] Madam Malkin's

[X] Ollivanders

[X] The Magical Menagerie

What's that? You were supposed to be Harry's owl? Nope.

Well, even if we don't steal Hedwig, I'm sure we can get something cool.

Shame no Dawn shenigans unless he retroactivly got some of those memory added by the keyspell.

And does he knows anything about his past life?

Initiative time? Bah, the villain decay has already set in in that case... Oh well. I'll make do~

[X] Ollivanders

In Canon, Draco met Harry at Madame Malkins. OTOH, there is considerably more time spent in Ollivanders, so we've actually got better odds of meeting him there.

Unless we just don't meet him at all. That's also fine I guess.

Hey, if that opening was good enough for Tolkien, its damn well good enough for us.

[X] Olliv- ooh, new stuff! Don't be impressed of course, you're a Malfoy. But go see everything the Alley has to offer, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back