• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Castle Quest (Zelda, illustrated)

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

Welcome to Castle Quest, the (badly) illustrated quest where you must escape the castle before...

gibbousmoons

Well worn.
Welcome to Castle Quest, the (badly) illustrated quest where you must escape the castle before the dark forces looming overhead kill everyone inside it, including you.

FBRnzVE.png

Wait- why are you in the castle in the first place?

What's your job/occupation/class?

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Severnt/bodyguard. you were trained to protect the princess while making everyone think of you as a mere maid, only your now dead teacher knows the truth.

[X] Concubine of the Crown Prince. Luckily your position required you to learn to fight in case you were forced to be the princes last line of defense. Unfortunately he tripped and broke his neck while running to saftey.

[X] Janitor. While it may not be the most glorious job, it has left you in fairly good shape, and you know the castle better than anyone but the person who designed it.

[x] The Princess, whose wisdom warned you of this day. In spite of your preparations you still were ill prepared for the onslaught. Hopefully you won't be forced to wait around to be rescued this time.

Fair warning, trying to gimmick the choices to give you both social and fighting skills doesn't work.

Combat maid? Sure, you can wear a frilled dress while fighting, but you won't be the picture of womanly beauty and charm, and fooling the castle guards isn't exactly hard. Bodyguard/Concubine? You won't be better than average as talking and fighting, but not too much better. Trying to generalize could work, but I'll say that it'll be harder than just picking a direction.

[X] Gutter Rat - No one knows how you got into the castle as a young boy in the first place, even you've long forgotten, but ever since you've been a sort of ghost, surviving by stealing morsels from the kitchens or the servants and sleeping in overlooked nooks and crannies. You've overheard the guards tell new servants horror stories about you, the mad sewer-boy who haunts the castle dungeons; the exaggerated stories mean most servants flee on sight. For years you've lived like this, half-feral from lack of real human interaction, constantly hiding in the shadows or fleeing from the guards when you slipped up and were spotted. It's gotten harder and harder as you've gotten older and bigger, but your firsthand knowledge of the castle's hidden passages and hiding spots have kept you free and alive despite years of capture attempts. Now, dark forces swirl around the castle, the like you've never seen before. But you are nothing if not a survivor and no one knows this fortress as well as you do.

gibbousmoons said:
Fair warning, trying to gimmick the choices to give you both social and fighting skills doesn't work.

Combat maid? Sure, you can wear a frilled dress while fighting, but you won't be the picture of womanly beauty and charm, and fooling the castle guards isn't exactly hard. Bodyguard/Concubine? You won't be better than average as talking and fighting, but not too much better. Trying to generalize could work, but I'll say that it'll be harder than just picking a direction.

Oh. Let's specialize then.

[X] Cover Identity Archivist, true profession Sheikah.

You are the last scion and heir of the legacy of the Sheikah and have dedicated yourself to rediscovering your people's lost techniques and arts. When you reached the limits of what you could learn from your clan's few remaining members and surviving teachings, you sought the only remaining copies within the Castle's walls. Knowing that many would would oppose your efforts, you have conducted your research in secret, acting as one of the Castle's archivists to gain access to its massive repositories.

[X] Maid/bodyguard- A warrior of Gerudo descent you grew up poor until taken in by the royal family. Neglecting social skills you've trained to be an inconspicuous bodyguard to the princess for years. While you're deadly in a fight, your main advantages lie in your speed and your ability to get the jump on enemies. You suffer greatly in prolonged fights where your twin bladed offense can't sustain itself. Likewise you tend toward the quiet side, having trouble verbalizing your emotions or intentions, or even talking with strangers at all, largely as a response to the prejudice you endured as a child of a people with such a bad reputation.

We're going pictures and adorably awkward ninja-maid seems like a winner for a quest that's going to be mostly visual. Gerudo suggests an aesthetic, a skillset and a fighting style and secret bodyguard gives us a reason to be in the castle.

gibbousmoons said:

Gibbous let me know if my vote works. In it we've focused on developing combat skills and techniques to the detriment of our social skills including manipulation, and only some esoteric knowledge and knowledge of old artifacts and histories preserved by our clan were enough to convince the Castle's functionaries to let us act as one of its archivist.

megrisvernin said:
Gibbous let me know if my vote works. In it we've focused on developing combat skills and techniques to the detriment of our social skills including manipulation, and only some esoteric knowledge and knowledge of old artifacts and histories preserved by our clan were enough to convince the Castle's functionaries to let us act as the Castle's archivist.
Thief is a totally valid character choice.

Since there seem to be a lot of votes trying to edge in good disguise/stealth skills as well as a perquisite, I'm going to go on the record that the castle guards are as smart as a bag of rocks, and that's when you add them all together mind you. You can fool them reliably as long as you put in any effort at all.

gibbousmoons said:
Thief is a totally valid character choice.

Since there seem to be a lot of votes trying to edge in good disguise/stealth skills as well as a perquisite, I'm going to go on the record that the castle guards are as smart as a bag of rocks, and that's when you add them all together mind you. You can fool them reliably as long as you put in any effort at all.

Hmm. I'll shift my backstory then. Let me know if this works?

[X] Sheikah

You are one of the more promising members of the Sheikah in generations, which has fallen far from its illustrious past. You have dedicated your life to restoring it to its former glory and have entered the Castle to recover a number of artifacts once entrusted to your Clan's keeping, which have found its way within its walls.

You can do whatever you write, but I'm the one interpreting it.

gibbousmoons said:
You can do whatever you write, but I'm the one interpreting it.

Sounds fair. Since you said the guards are easy to get past if we make even a token effort, I decided it be better to just strip out the cover-story for my character and play the thief role more overtly.

[X] 1 Concubine of the Crown Prince. Luckily your position required you to learn to fight in case you were forced to be the princes last line of defense. Unfortunately he tripped and broke his neck while running to saftey.: (dreadis)
[X] 1 Gutter Rat - No one knows how you got into the castle as a young boy in the first place, even you've long forgotten, but ever since you've been a sort of ghost, surviving by stealing morsels from the kitchens or the servants and sleeping in overlooked nooks and crannies. You've overheard the guards tell new servants horror stories about you, the mad sewer-boy who haunts the castle dungeons; the exaggerated stories mean most servants flee on sight. For years you've lived like this, half-feral from lack of real human interaction, constantly hiding in the shadows or fleeing from the guards when you slipped up and were spotted. It's gotten harder and harder as you've gotten older and bigger, but your firsthand knowledge of the castle's hidden passages and hiding spots have kept you free and alive despite years of capture attempts. Now, dark forces swirl around the castle, the like you've never seen before. But you are nothing if not a survivor and no one knows this fortress as well as you do.: (Rinsemon)
[X] 1 Janitor. While it may not be the most glorious job, it has left you in fairly good shape, and you know the castle better than anyone but the person who designed it.: (Selias)
[X] 1 Maid/bodyguard- A warrior of Gerudo descent you grew up poor until taken in by the royal family. Neglecting social skills you've trained to be an inconspicuous bodyguard to the princess for years. While you're deadly in a fight, your main advantages lie in your speed and your ability to get the jump on enemies. You suffer greatly in prolonged fights where your twin bladed offense can't sustain itself. Likewise you tend toward the quiet side, having trouble verbalizing your emotions or intentions, or even talking with strangers at all, largely as a response to the prejudice you endured as a child of a people with such a bad reputation.: (Darkened)
[X] 1 Severnt/bodyguard. you were trained to protect the princess while making everyone think of you as a mere maid, only your now dead teacher knows the truth.: (Silversun17)
[X] 1 Sheikah: (megrisvernin)
[X] 1 The Princess, whose wisdom warned you of this day. In spite of your preparations you still were ill prepared for the onslaught. Hopefully you won't be forced to wait around to be rescued this time.: (ttd0000)

No two same votes

You are Hyrule's Spymaster, a relatively new position. When you were hired, the King informed you that he wanted to make sure that the only spies in the castle were his own.

. . . He then told you that you were his only spy.

In the course of your investigation you found many security holes, which you then plugged. Sometimes you plugged actual holes too, but that's neither here nor there.

Castle Security bonus granted.

PH6z4wB.png

Oh, but drat. You don't have a name yet, do you?

Or rather, you have dozens of names, none of which are actually the one you were born with.

Your birth name is . . .

[X] Susan Merryfield Summers the 8th

Family tradition states that the first born bears the name Susan, no matter their gender, thankfully it matches your own not like your poor father.

[X] Susan Merryfield Summers the 8th

[X] Ov Noe Rela-Vance

Only child of Ov Vance and Noe Rela.

Call me Ov.

[X] Ov Noe Rela-Vance

Perhaps you've met our brothers, Ir Rela-Vant and Ov Noe Conse-Quence?

Trick question, I have no brothers.

They were actually me, in disguise.

Acting.

[X] Ov Noe Rela-Vance

Just because it's so hilliarious.

FLEibdN.png

Your name is Ov Noe Rela-Vance, and you were born to be a spy.

Well, most specifically you were born because your parents needed a son to carry on the family trade of putting on disguises for money.

You are in the top of the tallest tower of Hyrule Castle, where you are employed by the King of Hyrule to find sedition and other spies. As you are the only spy the King employs, it's a good thing you haven't found any others, because you're not all the good at brawling, instead having mastered the art of disguise! You've gone so far in the pursuit of your duty that you found an entire secret room at the top of the tallest tower!

That's your disguise chest against the wall with the windows. There's a door ahead of you that you've never bothered to open, and a trapdoor around here somewhere.

What do you do?

[X] Check out the disguise chest
-[X] Take as much as you can reasonably carry, you don't know who you'll have to imitate during your escape
[X] Check what lies beyond the door

[X] Check out the disguise chest
-[X] Take as much as you can reasonably carry, you don't know who you'll have to imitate during your escape
[X] move the rug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back