• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

[X] The one with the ensuite bathroom.
[X] You have this idea about converting storage seals to hold chakra in reserve until you need it. Let's see if that's feasible...
[X] Work on your Sasuke army. (Choose up to two.)
-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (One of each of our friends.)

uju32 said:
Additional commentaryIntelligence GET!
Chuunin-san just dropped a key bit of information; they had no history with Gaara, so had no reason to call him a demon.
Unless they were privy to intelligence she doesn't have.

Also, given who came in afterward, we know yet another team: Amegakure (Rain). So out of 16 that go into the forest, we know:

Konoha: Team Ino, Team Shika, Team Gai, Team Sakura (4)
Other: Team Gaara, Team Mist, Team Sound, Team Kusa, Team Ame (5)

So 7 unknown teams now.

One other thought:

(Third Heaven scroll acquired. Third Earth scroll acquired.)

That should be 2nd Earth scroll, not the 3rd, right? We only see Ami conning a 2nd Heaven scroll out before Ino picks up yet another Heaven and Earth. So 3 Heavens, 2 Earths unless she picked up another Earth scroll somewhere?

The exam debrief of Ino's team and just general review on the part of the proctors is certainly going to be interesting.

[X] A little less fight and a little more spark
I'd be surprised if there's anyone who doesn't recognize Elvis.

The tower has a couple dozen rooms set aside for chuunin training in the Forest, and since you have first pick you guys choose:

[X] The one closest to the onsite kitchen.

[X] The one close to the library.

[x] Bathroom

If the bath is large. Let's hope that Team Sa makes it in time to share it with Ami and Ino. Possibly creating an opportunity to leave the past in the past. If it's not large, then,

[x] Library

Well, at any rate, you have a lot of free time to fill in the next few days. (Pick two.)

[X] You have this idea about converting storage seals to hold chakra in reserve until you need it. Let's see if that's feasible...

[X] Shintenshin. Hey, are you the clan heir or not? Get it up and running.

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Multiple incarnations of any one of the Fab Four, or one construct of each.)
-> [X] Figure out if you can leak your mental static into a memory palace and subject people to it intentionally.
-> [X] Write in?

[X] Make a genjutsu of your own, you lazy brat. (Write in subject to GM approval.)
[x] Shintenshin

Because we're a Yamanaka, muthufaka! ... I waited for so long to say this, but now it feels like a very stupid idea.

[x] Genjutsu

The Chakra Storage Seal is all kinds of cool, so it's probably going to win anyway. Still, I'm casting this vote, hoping it gets some "usefull / not usefull" input.

Option 1: A genjutsu that could be cast together with Shintenshin, making the target think they're now in Ino's body. Whatever they do now should be different enough from Shintenshin countermeasures.

Option 2: A "Gravity Genjutsu". Targetting the inner ear, it disrupts the target's sense of ballance. Stumbling like a drunk, nausea, and generally making the world spin should work fine in tandem with senbon, coated in itching powder. For a "Stage Two", shifting the sense of "up" with an additional visual layer might make the target think we're actually manipulating gravity.

Option 3 (half-joking option): Possibly incorporated with Option 2. Just some background music whenever Ino enters the stage.

PS: Little details like taking time to hunt down the サ and put it in the text is why I read this quest.

The tower has a couple dozen rooms set aside for chuunin training in the Forest, and since you have first pick you guys choose:

Well, at any rate, you have a lot of free time to fill in the next few days. (Pick two.)

[X] The one close to the library.

Because the other two options do not offer anything immediately obvious; you can walk to the kitchen or library at will.
There may be hidden bonii, but without GM confirmation that's just speculation.
A bathroom, OTOH, has real tangible benefits for a team with two girls.
And it allows for privacy, and you not to waste time trying to share the communal facilities.

And if Team Nurse actually make it in, they might need somewhere more private.

This is a priority.
Our two major problems at the moment are chakra reserves and range.
This helps solve both.

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Lupin.)
-> [X] Figure out if you can leak your mental static into a memory palace and subject people to it intentionally.

This.
Very much this.
The last time we exposed Kiba to our mental static, he came out shivering because of the killing intent.
And we've improved things since then.
Let's share with our opposition.
Besides, pitting the Four against chuunin-candidates sounds like fun, and has future applicability.

Shintenshin can wait till we get to talk to Dad.
I would have liked to cook up a vertigo genjutsu, or Ino's version of a theme tune :D but it's not just as useful as the two options I picked.
IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Library
-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Fab Four one construct of each.)

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Four of Lupin)
-> [X] Write in: We need some kind of construct that's really good at chasing people down. Sort of like the Konoha police, except even more annoyingly single-minded in the pursuit. And for some reason, you're remembering that pin from Tanzaku Gai...

Save working on Genjutsu when you have a teacher there to help make sure you don't screw anything up plus it's a longer process.

Edit: Changed because that's an awesome idea.

Edit2: changed vote again.

If we took the kitchen room Chouji would snap us in half.

-> [X] Fab Four (one of each).
We still remember that crushing genjutsu mom put us under.
-> [X] Write in: We need some kind of construct that's really good at chasing people down. Sort of like the Konoha police, except even more annoyingly single-minded in the pursuit. And for some reason, you're remembering that pin from Tanzaku Gai...
6cf8_2.JPG

Shintenshin is tempting, but it's not amazing in a 1v1 bout and we got speed-masking earlier.

Huh. I gotta say, did not expect my seal idea to get so many votes at this stage. Still, if it wins, nice. Even if we can't recharge we can still summon a shitload of cats as a panic button and not many are gonna stand up to that.

And you wanna get Zenigata Guile? Well....could be interesting. Although I imagine getting Lupin hanging around our head, or Gomen cause PRETTY, would have the most benefits.

I forget where we used our mental static. Can someone give me a link?

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Huh. I gotta say, did not expect my seal idea to get so many votes at this stage. Still, if it wins, nice. Even if we can't recharge we can still summon a shitload of cats as a panic button and not many are gonna stand up to that.

And you wanna get Zenigata Guile? Well....could be interesting. Although I imagine getting Lupin hanging around our head, or Gomen cause PRETTY, would have the most benefits.
I want them all!

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Fab Four one construct of each.)

Idea for a genjutsu!

Everything is fine and dandy! Right up until it isn't : A persistent genjutsu based on False Surroundings. The genjutsu is placed on someone and the believe everything on them is as they should be. They check their pockets, their wallet is there. They stretch their arms, their shirt is intact. They check their pack, that shiny golden ancient statue is right where it's supposed to be. Then the genjutsu falls and they're broke, their shirt is missing, they're wearing assless chaps, the pack is empty, and whoever did it is long gone.

A genjutsu meant to induce blind spots or make a person see things that are no longer there, but once was. By playing on what the person expects to be true, and indeed what once was true, the genjutsu is much more effective and longer in duration. For a sufficiently skilled and experienced genjutsu user, the genjutsu may not even expire on its own at all and requires sophisticated methods to dispel. Much like the genjutsu related to Yamanaka Ino's mother placed on the carriage driver or the boys.

Or, it can be dispelled by a trigger phase from the right person. Such as a Yakuza underling presenting the week's earnings to his oya-bun, and it is only when his boss chastises him that he realizes he's holding a literal pile of shit and understands why everyone was giving him a wide birth earlier. He will not, however, ever remember the leggy blonde that put him under the genjutsu, walked right up to him and made the swap in plain sight. Sucks to be you, buddy.

If we want to go into Fridge Horror territory, the genjutsu does not allow the target to even recognize pain or attacks on them. So they could be stabbed in the heart and wouldn't even realize they were dying. In a way it's merciful. In another way it's scary, because toss this shit on in combat and people don't notice they're taking damage.

If I can come up with a good combat genjutsu, I'll share.

Furiko's Omake Theatre~!

Scroll Heist in High Def

"There's a large tub of them under the table," Hinata says. "I suppose they wanted to be sure they had enough. They might not even notice some extras are gone until they pack up to go home, if you're lucky."

You smirk. "When am I not?"

=

At the door to the hut, you pop off a quick False Surroundings genjutsu, making the primary a simple hallucination of the movements of a white cat with black facial markings, and adding in the necessary tactile element to be activated later.

"Scroll me," Kiba says, handing in your waivers.

The man reaches under the desk and hands over a Heaven scroll to Ami, who reaches over her shoulder to stick it in her backpack. As it slips into the unzipped section, an empty storage scroll with Heaven written on the outside falls out of your sleeve.

Before Ami can so much as say 'oops', Akamaru jumps off Kiba's head, barking joyfully, and snatches it up. Menka follows, and shimmies under the desk to grab an Earth scroll.

"Good boy!" Kiba says encouragingly, "Now bring it back."

Tail still wagging, Akamaru bounds off with the scroll.

"Oh, not again..." Ami says, exasperated. "I thought nin-dogs were supposed to be intelligent."

"Shut up!" Kiba snaps, and runs off after his canine companion.

"Menka, no!" you say in dismay as an illusion of your bodyguard darts over the desk. "Crap!"

"Is it too late for me to switch teams?" Ami asks the proctors as one of them scoops up the kitty and tries to wrest an Earth scroll out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry," you tell the two chuunin behind the desk sheepishly, taking Menka from them and dislodging the scroll to slip up your sleeve. You hand the cat back, activating the touch-genjutsu as you do so. "I've trained him to bring me stuff I want and sometimes he gets carried away." You hold empty air in the shape of a cat up and say in a syrupy tone, "No, you're not getting a treat this time, mister. You almost made us fail the exam."

The proctor drops Menka into the tub of scrolls, where he proceeds to grab the two scrolls for Team Office Lady.

"He shredded it," Kiba growls, dragging a whimpering Akamaru back into the hut, the remains of the fake Heaven scroll in his hand.

"I don't believe this," Ami says, eyes wide with anxiety as she starts to hyperventilate. "First Ino's stupid ego trip almost gets us thrown out and now your idiot dog gets us disqualified before we even get a chance to really compete!"

You stroke her on the back comfortingly. "Hey, Ami, it's okay, it's only a six month wait, we can try again next time."

"Calm down," one of the chuunin scolds, pulling out a fresh Heaven scroll from under the desk. "Have some dignity, will you? You're representing the village here."

Ami gasps at the new scroll, blinking back tears as she smiles hopefully at the proctor. "W-we can really have another chance?" she asks, biting her lip.

"W-well, yeah," he says back, suddenly slightly pink around the ears. "You can pay me back by getting to the finals. Konoha's honour is at stake with Suna sending that demon brat here to steamroll the competition."

Ami snatches up the Heaven scroll and clings to it like a drowning woman, beaming at the chuunin and bowing repeatedly. "Thank you, thank you so much!" A thought seems to strike her, and her expression becomes slightly panicked again. "Please, sir, promise me you won't tell any of the other competitors that I cried?"

"I promise," he says, embarrassed, "just please, move along."

You do so, Ami still repeating her thank yous as you pull her out the door with a fond roll of your eyes.

Menka rejoins you, and the genjutsu collapses with a wave of your hand just as a team from Amegakure enters the hut.

=

The two chuunin don't see the last portion of the tape, because they spend it glaring at each other.

The assistant hits the eject button.

"I hope you know you aren't getting paid," Anko says flatly.

~owari~

Ha! They are a right menace, they are.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I forget where we used our mental static. Can someone give me a link?
I was rereading the Story Only thread and found it. Look for the post titled [X] A pervert, a tsundere and a freaky dog guy walk out of a movie theatre...
on page 3 of the Story Only thread.

So basically, it looks like we inflict showtunes and catchy commercial jingles on them.

Guile said:
Ha! They are a right menace, they are.I was rereading the Story Only thread and found it. Look for the post titled [X] A pervert, a tsundere and a freaky dog guy walk out of a movie theatre...
on page 3 of the Story Only thread.

Huh. Well, I have to admit, if we can subject everyone hostile in there to it, that's a right nasty distraction and debuff to level the playing field.

Poor chunin no paycheck for you. you'd think word of mouth would have spread that people should keep a better eye on us.

Jack Trade said:
Poor chunin no paycheck for you. you'd think word of mouth would have spread that people should keep a better eye on us.

To be fair, we were right in front of them. They can be excused for thinking that was enough. This time. :p

That was wonderfully subtle if it wasn't for the cameras those chunin would have never known.

Hmm.

Would the Fab Four constructs be of fairly low quality if they're only one of each? If we choose a single character but make multiple incarnations, would that mean that the one person we put in retains more skills or kicks more ass?

If that's the case, the best choice is probably just Gomen. Lupin....Ino interacting with Lupin sounds like an explosive recipe in her head, and may end up being too much alike to get along. Or Lupin's like a back-seat driver. For straight up ass kicking, Gomen sounds best. And Ino has extra incentive because she fangirls him.

I somehow can't help but see this leading Ino to flirt with what's in her head, and Gomen gently rejecting her because he knows he's not real. Cue existential angst for Ino.

....God damn there's some serious narrative potential for all Gomen. And I barely know him.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Hmm.

Would the Fab Four constructs be of fairly low quality if they're only one of each? If we choose a single character but make multiple incarnations, would that mean that the one person we put in retains more skills or kicks more ass?

If that's the case, the best choice is probably just Gomen. Lupin....Ino interacting with Lupin sounds like an explosive recipe in her head, and may end up being too much alike to get along. Or Lupin's like a back-seat driver. For straight up ass kicking, Gomen sounds best. And Ino has extra incentive because she fangirls him.

I somehow can't help but see this leading Ino to flirt with what's in her head, and Gomen gently rejecting her because he knows he's not real. Cue existential angst for Ino.

....God damn there's some serious narrative potential for all Gomen. And I barely know him.
It sounds to me like we can either get all four of Lupin's buddies, or we can get 4 incarnations of one of them.

Gomen rejecting her because he's a figment of her imagination would be neat, but let's let the girl dream, huh? I'm still holding out hope for a Genjutsu Route.

Guile said:
It sounds to me like we can either get all four of Lupin's buddies, or we can get 4 incarnations of one of them.

Gomen rejecting her because he's a figment of her imagination would be neat, but let's let the girl dream, huh? I'm still holding out hope for a Genjutsu Route.

Really? We can mass produce Sasuke so I figured doing the same for the Fab 4 would be viable since there's less thinking in making them. Instead we just copy and even if it's just like building a building, it's still requires less thinking after the first success. Plus the Fab Four certainly changed as they aged, never mind how they're depicted in media.

And Genjutsu route? What do you mean by that?

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Really? We can mass produce Sasuke so I figured doing the same for the Fab 4 would be viable since there's less thinking in making them. Instead we just copy and even if it's just like building a building, it's still requires less thinking after the first success. Plus the Fab Four certainly changed as they aged, never mind how they're depicted in media.

And Genjutsu route? What do you mean by that?
I think our mental images of the Fab Four are more realized and complete than our Sasukes. I might be off base on that, of course.

Genjutsu Route: Ino rides off into the sunset with Lupin's crew, nevermind the impossibility.

uju32 said:
It's hard coming up with stuff for him to say and do, but I like to think I do all right.

uju32 said:
Lady teachers tend to be harder on girls than men are, in my experience; might just be they tend to see through the bullshit much easier.
Mostly I think there's a certain amount of pride involved. "No, being upset and pretty and delicate does not obligate me to help you; the world is a hard place, and I know you can take it if you get your ass in gear. You will never be more than someone's stroke fantasy until you actually contribute something worthwhile."

Whereas guys in my experience like to fix short-term problems first; she's crying -> make her stop crying.

katreus said:
One other thought:

That should be 2nd Earth scroll, not the 3rd, right? We only see Ami conning a 2nd Heaven scroll out before Ino picks up yet another Heaven and Earth. So 3 Heavens, 2 Earths unless she picked up another Earth scroll somewhere?
Fixed. Sorry, I have terrible spatial sense; it's hard for me to keep track of objects when they're in motion.

uju32 said:
This.
Very much this.
The last time we exposed Kiba to our mental static, he came out shivering because of the killing intent.
Oh, is that where the killing intent came from? 8)

Guile said:
6cf8_2.JPG
I want to drag this idea into a secluded round-table booth in a high-priced bar, buy it 20-year-old scotch, and drunkenly make out with it on the limo ride home.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
If we want to go into Fridge Horror territory, the genjutsu does not allow the target to even recognize pain or attacks on them. So they could be stabbed in the heart and wouldn't even realize they were dying. In a way it's merciful. In another way it's scary, because toss this shit on in combat and people don't notice they're taking damage.
This one is also pretty boss.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Hmm.

One of each gives you a nice wide variety of surprises to throw at people, while making multiples of a single person means you have a set of fully-refined constructs that can act individually or as a hivemind, or collapse in on themselves to be one person.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Lupin....Ino interacting with Lupin sounds like an explosive recipe in her head, and may end up being too much alike to get along. Or Lupin's like a back-seat driver.
There's something fun in store if you pick Lupin, trust me.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Aw, man, I was totally gonna write that scene, too. XD

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
It is a source of continual frustration to me that Fujiko got a spinoff and Goemon didn't.

Even if he was totally adorable in it.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Really? We can mass produce Sasuke so I figured doing the same for the Fab 4 would be viable since there's less thinking in making them. Instead we just copy and even if it's just like building a building, it's still requires less thinking after the first success.
It's viable, just not in less than a week.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Plus the Fab Four certainly changed as they aged, never mind how they're depicted in media.
The anime actually bears you out on that, honestly. Fujiko gets less genuinely backstabbing over time (to the point that by the time the movies and annual OVAs start coming out, her switching sides is the standard way the team gets out of tight situations), Lupin becomes less dark and merciless and more light-hearted and gadget-obsessed, Goemon finds a way to balance tradition with the wider world in a way that suits him (he sings YMCA in the bath, for heaven's sake), Jigen gets a bit more taciturn with every heartbreak, and all of them grow to care for each other more.

Hell, in The Fuuma Conspiracy, Zenigata retires from the ICPO to become a monk and pray for Lupin's soul to reach the Pure Land while he's faking his death. I mean, that's... that's kind of huge.

Guile said:
I think our mental images of the Fab Four are more realized and complete than our Sasukes. I might be off base on that, of course.
Well, yes, but a lot of it's unconscious. You'd have to do some digging and dreaming to get each of them perfectly up to par, which is why making one of each gives you a weak-but-skilled-variety-pack-watered-down demo of the four, but making four of one person gives you a not-very-versatile-but-at-full-strength construct that can telescope out to a full army eventually.

Fuck it.

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Lupin!)

I almost just dropped the seal idea because we aren't gonna get full on chakra regen yet. But even stored chakra as a panic button for cats is probably our best bet if shit goes south. I was gonna go with my genjutsu because a genjutsu that keeps people from noticing they're hurting in an arena match? Yes please! But we probably won't get that far, so save it for later. When we pick up poisons.

Also liked mental static, but the GM loves Zenigata so that's in, and fun times for Lupin are promised.

So even if I DEARLY want to have Goemon in our mind, draw someone in, and this use a Z-Slash for Goemon to use a Z-Slash for MAXIMUM RECURSION....there.

Unless Zenigata will spend the entire time in our mind chasing Lupin instead of fighting the intruders. Then Lupin gets the boot for static for Goemon.

Also, I suspect being near the library will let us notice who else goes to visit it and eavesdrop inside. But hey, bathroom. Desire for privacy is a valid enough point.

And sorry for guessing ahead on your scene Furiko. Shall I keep my predictions to myself?

changing my vote

[X] clan tech

-> [X] What's say you add some more... 'exotic' predators to the mix? (Lupin, Jigen, Goemon, and Fujiko)

I really like the idea of the Zenigata construct.

FurikoMaru said:
Furiko's Omake Theatre~!*snip*
The two chuunin don't see the last portion of the tape, because they spend it glaring at each other.
The assistant hits the eject button.
"I hope you know you aren't getting paid," Anko says flatly.
~owari~
That's harsh, Anko-san.
A fine perhaps, but their entire paycheck?
We plead force majeure

FurikoMaru said:
Oh, is that where the killing intent came from? 8)
Am I missing something?
Did something take up residence in Ino's head without being noticed?

uju32 said:
That's harsh, Anko-san.
A fine perhaps, but their entire paycheck?
We plead force majeure

For this job at least, not paying them seems...harsh, but no unreasonable.

Am I missing something?
Did something take up residence in Ino's head without being noticed?

A geas, if that counts. And probably some unconscious quasi-constructs.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
For this job at least, not paying them seems...harsh, but no unreasonable.
You can't-or at least shouldn't- punish people when they fail due to being rolled by superior skill.
Just like you wouldn't blame people for getting speed blitzed by Minato.

Then again, it's entirely possible that it'll be rescinded or decreased after we pass through the next exam; I'm pretty sure Anko knows nothing of our skillset.
Though I suspect her next exam plan is going to include remote video monitoring :D

Then again, I will point out that we didn't use superspeed in front of the cameras either, so that's still under our hat.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
A geas, if that counts. And probably some unconscious quasi-constructs.
Our head is supposed to be S-class thought screened; Itachi had to brute-force it IIRC.
I wouldn't think he'd have the detail to work in something as versatile as that, or to give us a mental guard.
Unconscious quasi-constructs? Sure.
Though I'm still trying to figure out why Ami felt nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back