• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

I want to know how were supposed to do that considering we can't tell the difference between him and his puppet.

Guile said:
So, I had a fun idea to take on Kankuro.

Shortly before the third exam, we sneak attack Kankuro and take his place using our masks. Then, disguised as Kankuro, we convincingly stage a loss to 'Ino', which is actually Kankuro under mind control or a genjutsu that causes him to think he's fighting as himself or whatever. How else do they expect a stealth-focused ninja to pass a public exam?

Not saying we have to do this exactly, but I really want to learn Ranton and then NOT have to use it.

Here, here on that last part.

If we could pull this off it'd be pretty cool. That one genjutsu that came up a while back could maybe work for it.

That said, if Ibiki wanted to stop us from using masks in the first exam, somehow I think we won't want to use it in the finals, in view of all the clients we may potentially rob. Don't wanna reveal that trick to them of all people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple auxilliary thoughts:
Ami has no one to celebrate with;Kiba's in the hospital, Sas needs coaxing, and Shikamaru may or may not be home; same with Choji.
Something to mention if it's brought up as to why we didn't go home tonight.

Concerning our matchups though, we are significantly more effective against single opponents than I first realized.
Check out this list of derived jutsu:

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Puppet_Switch_Cursed_Seal_Technique
Unknown rank.
This technique allows us to move an enemy's mind into an inert, prepared puppet, and to control the puppet ourselves.
Fu used it against Aoi.
The similarity to, and applicability against Kankuro, is obvious; it would be really fun to jack Kankuro's puppet and beat him with it.
Probably beyond our league at the moment, and too risky.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Body_Disturbance_Technique
B-rank, long range.
Allows us to manipulate an enemy at a distance.
It doesn't require us to send our mind out, unlike base Shintenshin, just chakra.
It has a mass version, the http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Disturbance_Dance_Performance_Technique
That one is short to mid range.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Clone_Switch_Technique
Unknown rank, ?short range
This canonizes Constructs, as it allowed Ino to control multiple targets at the same time.

With a partner in our head, any two of those is a killer against anyone short of Gaara.
I do believe we have been shortselling the Yamanaka techniques in a one-on-one role

uju32 said:
Couple auxilliary thoughts:
Ami has no one to celebrate with;Kiba's in the hospital, Sas needs coaxing, and Shikamaru may or may not be home; same with Choji.
Something to mention if it's brought up as to why we didn't go home tonight.

Concerning our matchups though, we are significantly more effective against single opponents than I first realized.
Check out this list of derived jutsu:

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Puppet_Switch_Cursed_Seal_Technique
Unknown rank.
This technique allows us to move an enemy's mind into an inert, prepared puppet, and to control the puppet ourselves.
Fu used it against Aoi.
The similarity to, and applicability against Kankuro, is obvious; it would be really fun to jack Kankuro's puppet and beat him with it.
Probably beyond our league at the moment, and too risky.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Body_Disturbance_Technique
B-rank, long range.
Allows us to manipulate an enemy at a distance.
It doesn't require us to send our mind out, unlike base Shintenshin, just chakra.
It has a mass version, the http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Disturbance_Dance_Performance_Technique
That one is short to mid range.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_Clone_Switch_Technique
Unknown rank, ?short range
This canonizes Constructs, as it allowed Ino to control multiple targets at the same time.

With a partner in our head, any two of those is a killer against anyone short of Gaara.
I do believe we have been shortselling the Yamanaka techniques in a one-on-one role

honestly, I completely forgot she had any jutsu outside of her basic first one.

I guess it's probably because she barely shows up after the timeskip.

Vindictus said:
We... Huh... Whaaaaat?!

I. That is, um. What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? Besides giving the Judges a headache, I mean.
You say that like that isn't reason enough to do it by itself.

Guile said:
You say that like it isn't reason enough to do it by itself.

To be fair, we are supposed to put on a show.

Although personally, I would be quite satisfied in making Kankuro beat himself up with his own puppet.

EDIT: Annnnd that's exactly what you described, just minus the whole disguise bit, huh, what is up with me tonight?

But yeah, I'm totally fine with just walking into the arena, engage genjutsu (possibly placed on him earlier) watch Kankuro knock himself out.

[X] One is silver and the other gold.

"You know what?" you say to Hinata. "I think I could use a bite to eat; how about you?" At her nod, you turn to her teammates. "Shika, Chouji, you in?"

"You have to ask?"

"Hey, Temari!" you call. "What are you guys doing for dinner?"

Temari blinks. "Well, we were talking about finding a restaurant..."

"Hey, look no further!" You throw an arm around Chouji's shoulders. "This guy'll hook you up and I'll cover the tab. The only catch is you have to sit with us while you stuff your faces."

Before she says anything in reply, Temari slams a hand over her little brother's mouth. "Are you sure, Ino-san?" she asks. "I've seen Gaara close down a restaurant in under half an hour with how much he eats."

You grin evilly at Chouji, who gains a determined fire in his eyes. "Oh~ that sounds like a wager to me, how about you, Chouji?"

"OSU! Don't underestimate an Akimichi cook!"

Gaara laughs behind his sister's hand, and after a moment she pulls back in disgust and wipes the spit off on her pants.

"Why not?" Kankuro says, shrugging. "Can't be worse than what happens when Gaara tries to cook."

"Awesome! I'll just swing by the infirmary to pick up Ami and see if anyone else can come."

Kibi sounds like she wants to ask if she can go too, but Ira puts a hand on her shoulder and eyes Kuyo, and she keeps quiet.

=

"No joke, it wasn't a fire on the ceiling, it was the whole ceiling and it was on fire."

Gaara drinks his daiquiris without the straw, throwing back the ice, sugar and rum as though he's never heard the words 'brain freeze' in his life. He gestures at Ami with a garnishing cherry. "You seriously know how to have a good time, you know that?"

Oh, this is comedy gold. She's actually blushing and Sasuke actually seems pissed about it.

Should we tell him it's partly 'cause her skin's still peeling?

Hell no. High school drama is a sacred rite of passage, my young apprentice. We must not interfere.

Speaking of drama, Shikamaru and Kankuro are having a little tête-à-tête in the corner over god knows what, Chouji seems to be trying to think of something cool to say to Temari, and the off-duty ANBU at the bar against the far wall (he's not in his gear, but you can see the tan line at his jaw where the mask would end) is pretending he isn't watching you guys out of the corner of his eye.

In less tense news, Tenten and Hinata seem to have hit it off, so that's nice; they're talking about some movie they both saw.

Neji is sitting by himself, drinking water and defending his food from Menka.

Your hostess instincts indicate to you that for the next ten minutes, no one is going to actually stab anyone else.

And you know what that means.

"I'm gonna go for a smoke," you announce, getting out of your chair.

"You have smoke-free bars here?" Gaara asks, surprised.

You roll your eyes. "Don't these guys all wish."

"If you haven't got your health you haven't got anything!" Ami calls after your retreating back by way of retort.

The autumn air is crisp against your face as you take your first drag. You watch the smoke rise up past the harsh red light of the alley's one bulb and drift away on the breeze.

Aw, shit.

"Whacha starin' at?" you ask Kankuro without looking at him. "You gonna propose?"

"I'm not looking to start anything," he says. "I just want to talk."

You turn to face him with a mischievous smirk. "So talk."

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a scrap of paper. He unfolds it and holds it up.

The black ink makes it hard to make out in this light, but you recognize it after a moment's thought.

It's the note you left on his puppet in the first exam.

"Did you write this?" he asks.

[X] "I think the real question is, can you prove I wrote that?" ;)

[X] "Never seen that note before in my life."

[X] "Well, yeah. No hard feelings or anything, I'm just really scared of your brother."

Didn't we just write -2 points on it?

Hmm....I'm not sure whether admitting our fear of Gaara is a good thing to Kankuro. Gaara route is apparently easy to fall off. But hell, we really are terrified, so maybe it says something about us that we're looking past that? Depends what Kankuro reads from it.

First one seems a safe choice.

Second....nah, why would we deny it?

I kinda want to say, "My only regret is that I couldn't forge the note in your handwriting."

Poor Kibi. Wants to be a part of it all, and maybe we coulda gotten away with just here, but...yeah. Kuyo. Awkward.

[x] "My only regret is that I couldn't forge the note in your handwriting."

>[X] One is silver and the other gold.
I'm guessing this is referencing something beyond Bender (foghat grey ver.) and his alternate world clone (gold ver.)? I get that feeling like I'm still one step of separation from the real reference.

[X] Look into your heart. The answer is there.

...Son of a bitch, Kankuro really might know it's us and he's just looking to see how we answer.

Kankuro is the brains of the operation here. The sneaky guy.

How much you wanna bet he has a kit for checking finger prints? If he could get a sample of something we handled he might actually be able to get a confirmed match for prints.

It's a long shot, and if it's true and suddenly we need to be a lot more careful about what we touch in the future, but it's possible. He really might have our number.

That would be a very interesting discovery.

Guile said:
>[X] One is silver and the other gold.
I'm guessing this is referencing something beyond Bender (foghat grey ver.) and his alternate world clone (gold ver.)? I get that feeling like I'm still one step of separation from the real reference.
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMAxP-95yn4[/embed]
Shameful confession time: your GM was temporarily sucked into the Girl Guide cult as a young lass.

nightblade said:
Wait Temari is wearing pants?
Since this isn't a shounen anime, I'm working from the premise that people wear different clothes on different days.

FurikoMaru said:
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMAxP-95yn4[/embed]
Shameful confession time: your GM was temporarily sucked into the Girl Guide cult as a young lass.
Shame! Shame upon your house!

<-- Cub scout back in the day

FurikoMaru said:

Good thing you changed that to Girl Guide from Scouting, proud Boy Scout here.

Dull at first, but when you get to go on High Adventure trips? Totally worth it.

Girl Scouts....I think I remember some story about some Girl Scouts considering sleeping in a heated cabin to be roughing it. Wimps. My sister stuck around for the friends, and lured as many off as she could to go on real trips.

Girl Guides was a damn joke. I mean, I'm glad I know how to cook over a fire and read maps and clean a toilet and stuff, but I don't know anything about starting a fire without matches and I could easily have learned the other stuff from my parents. All it really taught me was that I'm not very good at dealing with girl bullshit.

Wow. Yeah, that's a waste of time. Although to be fair, with the Boy Scouts we really are not big on starting fires without matches either. Sure, you could use flint and steel, but that's really a last resort and if you had the foresight to carry flint a steel, you shoulda had the sense to bring matches and a lighter.

Incidentally, preprepared cotton balls soaked with vaseline is the ticket if you really need to use flint and steel. Keep 'em stored in something like an empty film canister. Very handy. You're still better off with matches and lighters though.

Also? We're all pyros, every single one of us. Bring out the fire and everyone wants to huddle around it and watch things burn. :p

See, I tend to assume that starting a fire without matches is like knowing how to swim without water wings. In the event that you need to know how to do it, you usually need to know how to do it immediately, so it's not a bad investment, overall.

a quick google search suggests that GSA and BSA differences is do to backing. they both have different sponsors and that influences what's in there guides.

FurikoMaru said:
See, I tend to assume that starting a fire without matches is like knowing how to swim without water wings. In the event that you need to know how to do it, you usually need to know how to do it immediately, so it's not a bad investment, overall.

Boy Scout motto is 'Be Prepared' for a reason. If you don't have matches, flint, steel, fire starters, and you need to make a fire immediately?

Well, you're probably SOL. Rubbing sticks together? That's not immediately, in fact that's probably just gonna hurt you even if you do find sturdy enough sticks. There might some trick with a magnifying glass or glasses I don't remember, but that's also a stretch. With so much modern gear, you really are just better off keeping a lighter and some gear in your car or something.

I mean sure, I've gone on a trip where the only stuff you can take is what you can fit in your pocket. How to navigate, and how to improvise with reason, by which I mean getting more use out of less.

A particularly memorable example: One guy taught how to do your business in the woods with one square of toilet paper. I have never used it and I hope I never do. I don't think anyone would want to but yeah. It'll work. Just....keep some hand sanitizer in that survival kit. If you pack smart it really won't be that big.

But by and large it's not about being able to to everything from nothing, it's about keeping the right equipment on you at the right time. Don't get yourself into situations where you might be stranded or forced to rough it without having a survival kit.

Silversun17 said:
a quick google search suggests that GSA and BSA differences is do to backing. they both have different sponsors and that influences what's in there guides.
Not American and not a Scout. Probably has more to do with it.

Yeah, 99% of the time we just used matches. But starting a fire sans matches/flint isn't hard, just fucking tedious.
One of my favorite memories was when they just marched our happy asses out into the woods and were told to "survive" for a couple days.
Way more fun than you'd think.

May not use the skills often, but goddamn will you appreciate having them when you're scrunched up in your little shelter, sleeping free of the rain.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Good thing you changed that to Girl Guide from Scouting, proud Boy Scout here.
Scout-five!

Actually in the spirit of the current topic of discussion, take a look at this: http://scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/SubPages/SurvivalGame.htm

Survival Game. Given a list of items, rank them in order of importance. You'd be surprised. I was when I first did it.

Very information, and gives you an idea of how important and versatile some things are.

Also, given the nationality of the GM, I offer a hearty 'fuck you' To Canada and your woods' insect population. On one hand it's beautiful out there. On the other hand you have the worst mosquitos I have ever encountered. I had to get in my tent and seal it up tight every evening in preparation for the swarm descending, thirsty for blood.

TheOtherSandman said:

You! You are my new friend here!

5a131e0c6f1623b5e137ed01191def2ea30a5417.jpg

And ah hell with it.

[X] "My only regret is that I couldn't forge the note in your handwriting."

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Also, given the nationality of the GM, I offer a hearty 'fuck you' To Canada and your woods' insect population. On one hand it's beautiful out there. On the other hand you have the worst mosquitos I have ever encountered. I had to get in my tent and seal it up tight every evening in preparation for the swarm descending, thirsty for blood.
How did you think we won the war of 1812? 8) Invading Canada is the perfect way to shoot your troops' morale in the foot right from the start.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Same way Russia beats everyone stupid enough to invade during winter?
You know it. As for summer, I hear their horseflies are worse than our mosquitoes and horseflies combined. And given I still have the scars from my last encounter with Canadian horseflies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back