• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

Guile said:
Hey Furiko, if you can have the Hyuuga come off as not super-evil, that'd be swell.

*sigh* Eventually as a writer who isn't Kishi, you have to come to a decision: are the Hyuuga kinda evil, or is Neji a whiny entitled little bitch?

And I don't think he is.

He's a moody arrogant little bitch, but that's neither here nor there.

Time skip a year. You want to see memories made with:

[1] Hinata
[1] Kiba
[2] Mom

Jutsu learned (pick three):

[X] Henge
[3] Bunshin
[5] Kawarimi
[4] Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique
[1] Water Purification Jutsu (technically a C-rank, but only because of chakra-control issues, which are nonexistent for you and your dad knows it)
[X] Matchless Flame Jutsu (D-rank) - will be difficult for you, considering your primary affinity, but is a good place to start if you want to learn more fire techniques down the line.
[5] Utsusemi no Jutsu (D-rank, supplementary) - aka 'throw voice'

Y'know, the henge is still really useful to know, considering impromptu disguises with it are likely to be better than impromptu disguises by conventional means. It can also make you taller, which'd make for more convincing crossdressing.

Free-time:

[2] Tessen
[2] Work on memory palace constructs
[Nai] Gun research
[2] Pester Mom to learn about poisons and healing salves and stuff

[X] Mom

[X] Bunshin
[X] Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique
[X] Utsusemi no Jutsu (D-rank, supplementary) - aka 'throw voice'

[X] Tessen

[X] Hinata

[X] Kawarimi
[X] [X] Bunshin
[X] Gun Research

I got your first post? ;D Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Hinata

[X] Kawarimi
[X] Bunshin

[X] Tessen

We have perfect chakra control. Maybe we should start studying anatomy a bit (Plus we can also use the opportunity to... ahem... study "anatomy" as well. :p), and branch out to learn some medical, or at least some minor triage and first aid jutsus?

Edit: Oh, also, another idea for jutsus, although maybe a higher classified jutsu: Far-feeling, far-tasting, far-smelling, etc. That is, projecting your senses to beyond your reach. Very good, to, say, taste test something you think might be poisoned.

Edit2: Oh, and a smell jutsu. Basically: "Make something smell of something else, with the strength you determine." Good escaping from smell based trackers, infiltration, and reducing the budget we have to reserve for perfume.

Time skip a year. You want to see memories made with:

[3] Hinata
[2] Kiba
[3] Mom

Jutsu learned (pick three):

[_] Henge
[6] Bunshin
[7] Kawarimi
[7] Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique
[1] Water Purification Jutsu (technically a C-rank, but only because of chakra-control issues, which are nonexistent for you and your dad knows it)
[_] Matchless Flame Jutsu (D-rank) - will be difficult for you, considering your primary affinity, but is a good place to start if you want to learn more fire techniques down the line.
[6] Utsusemi no Jutsu (D-rank, supplementary) - aka 'throw voice'

Free-time:

[4] Tessen
[2] Work on memory palace constructs
[1] Gun research
[2] Pester Mom to learn about poisons and healing salves and stuff

I was going to start the update, but we've got some ties I would like sorted out, if at all possible.

... you guys really like Hinata, huh?

Switch from me Kiba to Mom.

Some variety already people.

EDIT: In fact, if it wraps this up quicker, you can switch me from Throw Voice to Bunshin too.

I just realized that according to that history snippet, at one point something will happen to us, that gets rid of our lupiny bits.

well, I may be reading too much into it.

[X] Mom

[X] Kawarimi
[X] Utsusemi no Jutsu (D-rank, supplementary) - aka 'throw voice'

[X] Pester Mom to learn about poisons and healing salves and stuff

Pestering mom for lessons gives synergy bonus with making Memories with her.

Well, now that Darik has thrown weight behind the two top contenders and elevated Throw Voice, guess there's no need for switching to Bunshin for me.

Still, Darik, votes about to close, poison likely ain't winning....

Ah, screw it, synergy is synergy, switch me from memory to mom if someone else will vote to make poison a decisive win. Otherwise, let it roll.

R.A.G. said:
I just realized that according to that history snippet, at one point something will happen to us, that gets rid of our lupiny bits.

well, I may be reading too much into it.

Or, y'know, your parents grounded you for two months and you started being more discreet about where you practised seals. ^_^;

Votes are now locked.

[X] To be happy forever, I know

Genjutsu takes a lot more effort than the Throne, but in a way it's more rewarding, you think. Pushing your reality on others instead of inviting them into your world should be a challenge, and it's one you rise to admirably.

Hell Viewing is really simple and efficient to cast, even with lacklustre chakra stores; it mimics the effects of greater genjutsu by putting most of its focus onto getting a person's mind to come up with the illusion for you. There's less detail-work, so it's a common my-first-genjutsu to teach kids.

The problem with it is that it's expressly designed to prompt the victim's mind to envision the worst thing it can imagine, so it's essentially useless for the kind of ninja you eventually want to be; kinda hard to be a charming daredevil when you leave quietly sobbing people in your wake.

Regardless, it's an important first step on the road to genjutsu mastery. You know you're already pretty far ahead of everyone else on theory, so you don't see any harm in building up your practical ability in the subject. Shahera-sensei says that if you have the talent young it's important to practice, since most people don't bother much with genjutsu until they're older, making it a valuable skillset to have in the *~mysterious~* chunnin exams that no one ever goes into detail on.

On this particular afternoon in early summer, you're 'writing an essay' on the comparative merits of scent-based genjutsu and hearing-based ones, which means that you're sitting at the kitchen counter with an exercise book and pencil, talking to mom about the theory behind the Hell Viewing Technique and its sister jutsu, the Paradise Viewing Technique.

"It's such a simple modification I don't know why we aren't taught the Paradise in school," you say, tapping your pencil lazily on the side of your head. "We could test it on each other, even, the biggest problem would be accidentally finding out someone has an embarrassing 'paradise'. And it would be harder to get out of, since in order to break a genjutsu you have to first recognize that you're under one, and no one's gonna want to leave a perfect moment."

"You might be surprised," Mom replies, turning the pasta sauce down to minimum. "In some cases a happy illusion is more likely to be perceived as unrealistic than an unhappy one."

"I get that," you acknowledge, "but wouldn't that just be all the more reason to practice? Repeated exposure would dull the effects for those who buy into it too much and make the casters better at keeping in the people who escape easily, wouldn't it?"

"Sweetheart..." Mom hesitates. "Has Shahera-sensei ever put you under visual genjutsu before before?" she asks quietly.

You shake your head. "She says only jounin-sensei are allowed to do that kind of thing. There are laws about it and stuff. Dad can do it when he gets home, though," you add, "if you think it's important that I go through it."

"No need to trouble him," Mom says, years younger and wearing completely different clothes than she was half a second ago, smiling. "I can replicate the effects in a limited manner, I'm sure."

You leap backward out of your chair in shock, but Mom is already gone.

Wait, she can't be gone, you can sense her, she's-

Oh, what the fuck, she's everywhere, the song is coming from every corner of the room, and it's more organized and complex and massive than you've ever heard in your life, it's pressed against your skin, it's like you're drowning in sound and glory-!

"You will not understand the pure cruelty of genjutsu until you have seen a kind lie turned to dust."

You jerk awake as the Fiat goes over a pothole.

"Geez. We've only been trying to wake you up for the last five minutes," Jigen says. "I thought ninja were supposed to be light sleepers."

"The ones who prefer to get a full eight hours usually are," you reply, stretching as best you can in the cramped back seat. Your knuckles brush against a soft cheek - "Oops! Sorry, Goemon-san." Your own cheeks go hot.

"I-it's fine," he says, suddenly becoming very interested in the pedestrians on the sidewalk out the window.

"So? What was your dream about?" Lupin asks, making a turn. "You were talking in your sleep."

"Mm? Oh. It was kind of weird," you say, rubbing your eyes. "I was back in my mom's kitchen, talking to her about genjutsu, and she... put me under one, I guess. Or the dream just acted like a dream, whatever."

"I thought you said your Mom isn't a ninja," Jigen says with a quirk of his eyebrow.

You shake your head. "She isn't. But she's strong in her own way."

As if in confirmation of this thought, the men and the car go dark, the lights come up, and you realize with astonishment that you're seated on the couch in your living room.

Was...?

The tears well up.

Did...?

But you blink them away.

Your mother is standing in front of you, in a long red dress. You stare up at her, hurt and confusion and worry and anger and above all fear warring within you.

"The Princes known as Hope and Despair," she says, smile as empty as a doll's. "As they torment humanity in its waking life, so too do they rule its dreams."

"Mom?!"

"Mm?" she says from the kitchen. Steam blooms wildly from the sink as she pours the pasta into the colander. "I'm sorry, sweetheart, could you come here to talk to me? Lunch is ready."

Slowly, cautiously, you make your way over to the seat you were in before, and resume it, eyeing your mother suspiciously.

"Do you have a better understanding of the nature of illusion now?" she says, putting your plate before you.

"... are we still in one?" you ask, eyes hard.

"I have my answer," she replies with a sad smile. "Kai it and see, sweetheart."

You do so. Nothing changes.

"I'm sorry, Ino," Mom says sympathetically, clasping your hand. "Whatever I gave you and then took away, I am so sorry that I had to." She sighs. "But if you continue down the path of the illusionist, you should know these things. You need to understand what it is you're really doing to people. Genjutsu isn't something you can just build up an immunity to, and if you try, you could easily drive yourself mad."

"... Mom?"

You raise your strange eyes to meet hers.

"Who the hell are you?"
I used to be a witch.
"Don't use such rough language, and eat your lunch before it gets cold," she says, and turns back to the stove to fix herself a plate.

----------

Without chemicals, she points. 8)

This year you're learning the Academy Three. Since you already know the Kawarimi, you have a free spot in your training open for one jutsu that isn't covered at the Academy.

[X] Water Purification Jutsu (technically a C-rank, but only because of chakra-control issues, which are nonexistent for you and your dad knows it) - good for survival missions and long stays in remote parts of certain impoverished foreign countries.
[X] Matchless Flame Jutsu (D-rank) - will be difficult for you, considering your primary affinity, but is a good place to start if you want to learn more fire techniques down the line.
[X] Ear-Blinding Jutsu (D-C-rank) - a deafening genjutsu. Usually applied right after you've set off an exploding tag, so the person won't suspect it's a genjutsu.

Memory to recall:

[X] Kiba

[X] Sasuke

[X] Menka

[X] Ami

[X] Lee

No Mom for anticipation-building reasons. No Hinata because I am running out of things to write about her.

[X] Water Purification Jutsu (technically a C-rank, but only because of chakra-control issues, which are nonexistent for you and your dad knows it) - good for survival missions and long stays in remote parts of certain impoverished foreign countries.
[X] Menka

[X] Kiba

[X] Menka

Wow, yeah, NOT fun on the receiving end.

Can Ino put herself under Genjutsu? I think the temptation would be there.

[X] Ear-Blinding Jutsu (D-C-rank) - a deafening genjutsu. Usually applied right after you've set off an exploding tag, so the person won't suspect it's a genjutsu.

In order to mess with

[X] Kiba

Oh wow. That was NASTY. I am impressed and like Mom a lot more now. Well played. Well played indeed.

[X] Kiba

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Oh wow. That was NASTY. I am impressed and like Mom a lot more now. Well played. Well played indeed.

XD Y'know, you really aren't doing much to combat the stereotype that men like being led around by the nose by a beautiful bitch in a red dress.

FurikoMaru said:
XD Y'know, you really aren't doing much for the stereotype that men like being led around by the nose by a beautiful bitch in a red dress.

Hey now, stereotypes exist for a reason!

More seriously, I'm mostly impressed by how...ruthless isn't the right word but it's close, Mom is. It was elegantly simple, effective way to convey a life changing lesson, and she did it with class. It's less, "That is so hot," (although it is a tiny factor for me), and more, "Oh, you are good," and appreciation for a job well done.

T

Memory to recall:

[X] Kiba

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
More seriously, I'm mostly impressed by how...ruthless isn't the right word but it's close, Mom is. It was elegantly simple, effective way to convey a life changing lesson, and she did it with class. It's less, "That is so hot," (although it is a tiny factor for me), and more, "Oh, you are good," and appreciation for a job well done.

Ever read Dune? One of my main inspirations for Takae-sensei's character is Lady Jessica Atreides.

Never could get into Dune. Too... I dunno, 'wordy' almost seems like a dirty word for a bunch of writers to use, but I just never saw what everyone else sees in it.

Stephan King's Dark Tower series, either, come to think.

[X] Kiba

I read a bit of Dune, but it was a long time ago, and I think I had the same problem as Guile.

Herbert (and Anderson as well) tended to focus on building up the setting first, then having the characters interact in it after it's all set up. So you'd get a lot of words where nothing was really happening at first. If you're the type of person who can really get interested in someone else's created world it's not a problem, but if you're not you'll tend to get bored.

And I'm the type that reads a story for character interaction and plot, not for the setting.

[4] Water Purification Jutsu (technically a C-rank, but only because of chakra-control issues, which are nonexistent for you and your dad knows it) - good for survival missions and long stays in remote parts of certain impoverished foreign countries.
[Nada] Matchless Flame Jutsu (D-rank) - will be difficult for you, considering your primary affinity, but is a good place to start if you want to learn more fire techniques down the line.
[3] Ear-Blinding Jutsu (D-C-rank) - a deafening genjutsu. Usually applied right after you've set off an exploding tag, so the person won't suspect it's a genjutsu.

Memory to recall:

[5] Kiba

[Zip] Sasuke

[2] Menka

[Zilch] Ami

[Rei] Lee

XD I guess having a Mom-focused segment reminded people of what I can do with non-fleshed out characters. This is rather intimidating; I hope I can measure up to your expectations.

[X] Menka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back