• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

We could always ask our mother about the common combinations tonight. I mean we are planning on spending time with her.

Also, i would like people to remember this:
If you have another Class allowing those skills to go above E rank

Lets see how to put this. Say you picked up a Lightning elementalist Job crystal. You could equip lightning Magic and raise it alongside your ice since it falls into the broad 'Magic' class that the elementalist jobs belong too.

Now say you picked up sword warrior. You could not level swords past E because they fall into the 'martial' class of Job skills. You would have to actually level the sword warrior Job to be able to level skills it.
This means that if we do equip the "Axe Warrior Job", we wouldn't be able to level up our Ice Magic anymore, so we'll need to spend a lot of time without improving our magic to get our Axe Warrior Job to C.

It's not "we can do both". A Martial Job means we can't keep improving our magic while it is itself improving.

@yrsillar: Now, a question. I guess if we equip the Axe Warrior Job we get two skills (maybe shield and Axe warrior?). Could we then add Ice Magic rank D (once we have it) while we improve our Axe Warrior and Axe Warrior Job to rank D, then switch back to Magic and increase our Ice Magic to rank C while having Axe rank D equipped, then switch it again? Or is it even impossible to 'equip' a Rank D Magic Skill while we have a Martial Job.

I bet there is Magic Weapon Jobs that do allow you to sort of cross train job specializations. Lightning Axe, Ice Spear, Fire Sword, that sorta thing.

Yes, you can equip any skill you want at any time. You just can't raise their mastery rank above the rank of your highest Job of that type.

I bet there is Magic Weapon Jobs that do allow you to sort of cross train job specializations. Lightning Axe, Ice Spear, Fire Sword, that sorta thing.
Yes, those are probably either uncommon jobs or the result of job fusions. Hence why i was asking. While i don't think Alice is suited for those kind of Jobs, it's good to know what we could plan later on.

However, we have to keep in mind that it will halve our training for magical skills until we do get the fusion/etc. As such, it's only worth doing if we luck out on a rare crystal we have a /great/ idea for fusion with, or when we are higher level and confident on our ability to quickly get to rank C.
Yes, you can equip any skill you want at any time. You just can't raise their mastery rank above the rank of your highest Job of that type.
Thanks, that helps a lot.

This also means that always keeping a "Magical" and "Martial" class at high rank while quickly we relevel the same classes to C-rank in order to fusion them is probably the best way to always keep levelling our skills. (That, or just plain finding mixed-type jobs).

We're still incredibly new. We'll probably have to wait until we're capable of clearing an A-B Rank dungeons before we see rare job orbs.

+blinks+

How about suggesting to Anshelm to equip it until he has a better Crystal/Skill to equip over it?
It won't clash with his Spear Warrior, I think.

We're still incredibly new. We'll probably have to wait until we're capable of clearing an A-B Rank dungeons before we see rare job orbs.
No reason we can't find uncommon ones even now.
+blinks+

How about suggesting to Anshelm to equip it until he has a better Crystal/Skill to equip over it?
It won't clash with his Spear Warrior, I think.
I was actually thinking either this or for Shimah, so she can have something to fight with when out of SP. But yeah, Anshelm being able to take out a Axe when needed could be good, especially as we keep finding lots of them.

@yrsillar:
This seems to imply that even without a Job equipped it still influence us. Does it mean that if we gave our D-rank Ice Elementalism to Shimah, it would be a E-rank for her?

If you gave your D rank Ice elementalist to Shimah it would go back to E rank for her, yes. Mastery is tied to the person, not the crystal itself.

This goes for fusion too. If you fused your current job and then bought or found another Ice Elementalist Crystal, the Mastery would remain the same.

Do you accept Minor actions for this quest too? I wanted to ask our Mom if she knows any of the currently known combinations.

I would accept that. Don't go crazy with minor action stuff, but if its just a suggested conversation topic or something, sure.

Cool. Thanks. : )

[!] Minor Action: Inquire if our mom has any knowledge on the currently known job and skill fusions.

@yrsillar
If Anshelm equips the Job Crystal (of which we don't really understand if it will replace his Spear Warrior Job or just give an Axe Skill, or if there is an extra Crystal Slot), will he have to split his JP gain smaller, or will he still get the same JP bonus?

It will unequip spear warrior and give him the skills for the job. He can just change back to spear warrior if he wants though.

I will state only the first person who uses a Job crystal gains the skills from it. To prevent player abuse of the system.

It will unequip spear warrior and give him the skills for the job. He can just change back to spear warrior if he wants though.
Apparently we can't switch accessories in dungeons. Is it possible to switch weapons? E.G, would it be possible for Anshelm to switch from Spear to Axe as needed in the middle of a fight?

No, you can't change equipment during a dungeon.(Exceptions may exist in later, much longer dungeons.)

This is pretty much a choice to prevent things from getting bogged down in micromanagement and also to keep the combat simulation workably simple for me.

Last edited:
[X] Alice:
-[X]1 [Amrita], 1 [Potion], [Magikal Robe], 1 [Ogre's belt]
[X] Shimah:
-[X]1 [Amrita], 1 [Ether], 1 [Potion], 1 [Barbarian Vestment]
[X] Maya:
-[X]1 [Potion], 1 [Ogre's Rucksack]
[X] Anshelm
-[X]3 Potion, 2 [Hi-Potion], 1 [Axe Warrior Job Crystal],
- [X] Suggest to Anshelm to activate the Crystal, having an option to switch to another damage-dealing class might have helped us finish the ogres faster
[X] Communal- Acquire something like a communal locker or the like to store specialized/situational gear that we might not want to carry all the time.
-[X] [Purty Hat]
[X] Ask the group if it would be ok to for you to hang on to 1 [Magikal Robe], in case we group again with another Elementalist or someone who wants it (so not selling it, and probably giving it to Seraphine, which will make Maya smile).
[X] Go home, maybe you can catch Mom before she goes to sleep.
[X] Agree with Maya, and suggest, if you are going to new Dungeons, you might be willing to de-equip your Cat's Curio's first.

Axe warrior is AWFUL for our build. I really doubt we're going to get some tricky fusion on axe warrior that somehow works well with our puny arms. At best we're going to fuse it with another skill crystal and get something shitty we can't use instead of a decent skill crystal. It's also pretty dickish to take loot that's not compatible when there is a party member who could use it. If we get any elemental job classes I don't want to be competing with the whole party for them, so let's not roll on other kinds unless we know they'll be useful. What's more, Anshelm can probably equip it now and level the skills for it while still using his spear abilities.

We're also never going to level it. That said, if we're trying to farm low ranking dungeons we might want Anshelm to DPS instead of tank for speed. Having the versatility to swap is quite good and this is a core warrior class. Give it to our warrior, this is a no brainer.

Now, the ogre's belt is an accessory, so no one can use it (Anshelm's keeping his hat). Give it to whomever's getting the least gear here, that seems to be Alice given that everyone else got something useable and I like our old robe more.

The purty hat is useful and just the kind of thing that should be kept around in a communal storage in case we're going to any kind of lightning heavy area.

Planning is key and that kind of conditional gear is tops as we go onto more strategic areas, I would say hand it to Seraphine for the moment but be ready to reassign it. Creating a communal loot pool gives our party incentive to work together and the versatility to assign gear as needed rather than fighting over very situational items.

Maya had traumatic memories of a certain dungeon, went into Crystal Lake before with a party and had to use escape orbs. What does this suggest? After failing at crystal lake they went to the other dungeon and her party died. That's why she was alone. Let's be a little more sensitive to that trauma. Also she got no loot out of the cave while we got a tops robe perfect for our class. In the interest of spreading things around, let's give her the pouch. We haven't needed our slots and worst case scenario we just farm Ogre's Den or Goblin glade at E/D rank until the party has them.

Before trying a new dungeon that's harder than an easy E rank, we ask around about it first. Towns have inns for a reason and we want to know the gear/spells to use. Treat this as an MMO. You don't run dungeons blindly, especially not in a roguelike. Read the guides and figure out the strategies you need before going in with a plan. Tomorrow I'd like to do this, and potentially if there's some service around that does this, offer information on bonus bosses if they don't have it. If there isn't any service, writing up the dungeons we've done and giving the information to Adel to distribute would be a great way to bolster our reputation (And the information isn't as valuable as it would be for dungeons that aren't the starter set right next to town.)

No, you can't change equipment during a dungeon.(Exceptions may exist in later, much longer dungeons.)

Any common skills or jobs that change this?

Also are there any kind of locked gear or soulboundish type stuff (IE: Once gained after the dungeon it can't be sold?) or is everything sellable?

Is it possible to fuse two of the same job crystal together? Like Ice Elementalist+Ice Elementalist?

What happens if you fuse your last two jobs in a category together.

Say we have C ranked magic skills and two C ranked magic job crystals and then fuse them to a new E ranked one. We now have skills we don't meet the requirements to use. How does this work?

Last edited:
Only thing thats similar to locked/soulbound are Job crystals in that they only generate skills for the first person who uses them.

This is so whole parties can't just pass around a Job and give eveyone the skills.

As for changing the no equipment swapping in dungeons.... there are dual wielding skills which allow you to use multiple weapons at once. but nothing that really allows you to actually swap equipment slots. Like I said, its anissue with keeping the back end relatively simple, there are enough moving parts under the hood for this one already.

Fusing two of the same is one of those situations where the crystals are just incompatible.

In the situation you just described, you would still be able to use the skills, you simply wouldn't earn any job points for them until you leveled your new Job higher than C.

Mmmmh.

Very good point about Maya. She hasn't been getting any personal (e.g, upgrade) loot for Crystal Lake, so it makes sense to try to give her something she may use right now. Anshelm having the Axe Warrior Job also makes a ton of sense when we want him to focus on damage more than tanking, especially now that he has much better gear.

So, switching to Darkened's suggestion:
[X] Alice:
-[X]1 [Amrita], 1 [Potion], [Magikal Robe]
[X] Shimah:
-[X]1 [Amrita], 1 [Ether], 1 [Potion], 1 [Barbarian Vestment]
[X] Maya:
-[X]1 [Potion], 1 [Ogre's Rucksack]
[X] Anshelm
-[X]3 Potion, 2 [Hi-Potion], 1 [Axe Warrior Job Crystal],
[X] Communal- Acquire something like a communal locker or the like to store specialized/situational gear that we might not want to carry all the time.
-[X] [Purty Hat]
[X] Ask the group if it would be ok to for you to hang on to 1 [Magikal Robe], in case we group again with another Elementalist or someone who wants it (so not selling it, and probably giving it to Seraphine, which will make Maya smile).
[X] Go home, maybe you can catch Mom before she goes to sleep.
[X] Agree with Maya, and suggest, if you are going to new Dungeons, you might be willing to de-equip your Cat's Curio's first.

Thing is, we're by nature a curious sort. Who have an exposure and grounding in the back end of the magic like few others would.

Anselhelm doesn't WANT the job crystal, he's not going to be using it for anything other than to sell, it's a damage dealer class not a tank one. Ie it's not something he wants to use.

Of everyone here Alice is the only one who has the ability(desire) to make use of the crystal beyond selling it, since she's an investigative Mage from a FAMILY of Investigative mage. And she'd be asking questions like, What can we combine this with? can we cause it to change conditions of its specs? How are these formed, and what can we do to alter or improve it beyond what is already known?

A job crystal for straight up experimentation to take back to her mage parents is a HUGE thing, which we should indulge in doing ever chance we get.

Don't forget where CAT''S CURIOSITY and MAGICIAN'S BLOOD come from... a back ground of magic with her being intensely curious about HOW things worked... and how to ALTER how they worked. This is Definitely something relevant to us that we can experiment with.

She's basically a Harpel in training. (Mad Science Mages)

Anselhelm doesn't WANT the job crystal, he's not going to be using it for anything other than to sell, it's a damage dealer class not a tank one. Ie it's not something he wants to use.

Except he should have a damage class skillset as well. Demonstrably. We can talk him into it because versatility is the selling point of adventurers. Adaptability is good AND he can equip a third skill most likely.

He SHOULD want it. And if he doesn't we can talk him into it fairly easily.

Of everyone here Alice is the only one who has the ability(desire) to make use of the crystal beyond selling it, since she's an investigative Mage from a FAMILY of Investigative mage. And she'd be asking questions like, What can we combine this with? can we cause it to change conditions of its specs? How are these formed, and what can we do to alter or improve it beyond what is already known?

Our mom is a PHD in the field essentially. What you're saying is like "Grab a CD and then take it apart to randomly learn how CDs work while ignoring the PHD in computer science standing behind us"

This is an incredibly common job crystal, one the city can hand out to newbs for free more or less indefinitely. It's not something of value to our parents.

Now, what questions about it do you think we'd actually need the job crystal on hand to ask? What do you plan for it that requires a physical thing there instead of just asking the PC's mom a few questions? What actual magical abilities does Al have to do this? Because I don't see any manufacturing skills.

She's basically a Harpel in training. (Mad Science Mages)

Except not really. Because branded NEED to be murderhobos or they take progressive penalties. We need to work to avoid inactive penalties which stops us from sitting around researching all the time.

If you want to mad science? Find a mad science job crystal and then do it. I don't think we're going to get anywhere as it is, and I also think that we have 0 reason whatsoever to expect that Alice randomly has professional skills in taking apart job crystals and the like or even enough of a reference point to be able to use them.
By contrast it's fairly easy to demonstrate that Anshelm would benefit.

@yrsillar

We've got a few questions.

Does Alice have the skills needed to study the Job Crystal and actually learn anything from it? And what are the inactive penalties?

Oh, and some people aren't sure if Anshelm wanted it, but was giving it to Maya out of obligation.

Well you would have to ask Anshelm, he didn't mention it, but he never said he didn't want it. Why that might be Alice doesn't know.

As for actually studying the crystal, not really. I mean you could probably ask your Mom how to get started. Also it is a common crystal, you could just buy one once you have the gilder on hand.

Inactive penalties are basically stacking debuffs that eventually kill you. You can take a day or two off now and then though. You'll get an in character warning before they kick in.

@yrsillar
Can we tell if the Axe Warrior can still equip Shields?

[X] Hang out with your party!
- [X] Agree with Maya, and suggest, if you are going to new Dungeons, you might be willing to de-equip your Cat's Curio's first.
- [X] If the others amenable with each other (inform Shimah about Seraphine), how about making the party official and have communal item and Gilder storage
-- [X] First order of business, get Maya an [Escape Orb]

Loot:
[X] Shimah: [Barbarian Vestment], 1 Ether

[X] Maya: [Ogre's Rucksack], [Purty Hat], 2 Potions
- [X] Suggest keeping the Hat in storage, in case we want to repeat the Ogre's Den

[X] Anshelm: [Ogre's belt], [Axe Warrior Job Crystal], 2 Hi-Potion, 2 Potion
- [X] Suggest to Anshelm to activate the Crystal, having an option to switch to another damage-dealing class might have helped us finish the ogres faster

[X] Alice: [Magikal Robe], 2 Potions, 1 Amrita
- [X] You are thinking of trading the Robe to Sera later, she certainly can use it... Why is Maya laughing?

Last edited:
You can't but given the common - ness of the knowledge... (Maya could tell you) yes they do. All warriors get shields.

Was worried that if Anshelm picks the Axe and unable to equip shields mean that he will lose his aggro/provoke ability.

Grosstoad, why are you trying to get rid of the one thing that makes Alice such a formidable party member? Cat's Curiousity pays out in spades for the risk it gives.

Yeah, I want to be clear on this. The number of bonus bosses you've encountered is an anomaly of the dice. Even with your skill the chance is only around ten percent. Getting them on three of your four dungeons is crazy.

You know, I wonder if we should try doing the Ogre's Den a few times. I think a lightning job crystal might pop out there and we do need a heavy damage dealer for our party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back