• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Erratic Alerts & Emails

Torcer

Getting sticky.
I'm still having issues reliably getting Alerts & Emails. Some threads send neither an Alert nor Email, others give an Alert, but no Email, and just moments ago I had one provide an Email, but no Alert, Which I think is the first time that circumstance has occurred for me. This erratic behavior for notifications has been going on for over a year. It got better, but never fully functioned correctly, and now it seems back to being chaotic again.

---
Good news everyone. I - tentatively - believe my Erratic Alerts & Emails issue to be less of an issue. I don't know how, but they seem to be functioning the way I intend them. Whether it's something I've tinkered with recently or something they've changed in the background of the website, I don't know. That said I've checked, and rechecked, New Threadmarks & Watched Threads, over the last three'ish days an I think I've gotten every Alert and Email I should have.

For Anyone currently struggling with the same issue. I'll post my settings below, but first, I'll describe my goals for my settings. I want to be alerted via onsite Alerts as well as recieve an Email Notification whenever a new Chapter is released. Notably a Threadmark, but some Authors put their chapters in the Index for whatever reason. A cardinal sin to be sure. You know who you are... Anyway, I also don't want to receive alerts when the general masses reply to a thread I'm watching, as if I want to interact with the thread I can peruse it at my leisure without being bombarded by alerts. Everything else I want the same, I want to know when someone likes a post I make for that dopamine rush, so I can reread what I posted an thing to myself 'Ah, yes, Quality Content.'. I want to know when someone replies to one of my posts, or comments on a thread I made, etc.. In short. The only two things that are changed are:

- No more alerts for general replies to a thread.
- Always receive an Alert & Email when a story updates. (You must choose 'Watch this thread… and receive OP email notifications' on a watched thread for the Email Notification.)

At the very least this should be a good starting point if your having difficulties. *There should be 7 Images.*

Last edited:
Bumping as I don't want to make a new thread for it.

This is still occurring.

Checking new threadmarks on Chrome only shows 1 new threadmark. Checking it on Firefox shows 27 pages of new threadmarks. Could this contribute to my problem? Will deleting History/Cookies on Firefox help?

I also don't get alerts from several thread I followed after the update.

I'm also getting inconsistent alerts for new OP posts on watched threads. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Some older stories also showed all thread marks as unread while others don't. But others showed only the new threadmark as unread.

I did wonder where the alerts for this morning's updates had gone. Guess the problem found its way here too.

Edit: For future people reading this, disable this setting, if it's enabled every thread you watch makes alerts if someone posts in it regardless of you having read the thread. It was enabled for everyone around ~2024-05-10 20:00 UTC ± a few hours.
public

I'm noticing I get alerts for threads that I'm watching all posts, but I don't think I've seen a single alert for threads where I set it to op email. There's definitely been new op threadmarks that would've normally alerted me before the XF2 transition. And like other people mentioned, a lot of threads I'd fully read list threadmarks as new that definitely aren't.

I noticed this setting wasn't toggled on, so I'm testing if that helps any.

public

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, I think I've only gotten alerts for threads created since the XF2 transition

Edit 2: Think turning that option on just made me get alerts for non-op posts regardless of what I actually set, haven't been emailed yet though.

Last edited:
The last alerts I got were from Wednesday, which I believe was before the change to XF2? Nothing since has given me an alert, and i've checked at least a dozen of my watched threads and practically all of them have had at least one new threadmark that I never got an alert from

I did more testing,
  • If I change pre-xf2 transition threads from op email -> email, I get alerts + emails. I've changed them back in interest of not spamming myself
  • I've added a number of new threads, created both before and after the xf2 transition, configured for op email to see if I get alerts + emails
I'm waiting for more threadmarks at this point, but my hypothesis is either op email alerts are broken, or op email alerts for threads from before the xf2 transition are broken. I suspect it's more complex than just that though as popular threads with new threadmarks still have way too many likes for it to be broken for all users.

There might be an account specific factor (perhaps following > x number of threads, some account option, etc.) that causes op email to be broken. If anyone wants to compare, I'm following 469 threads and here's my settings,
w=3840

If nothing else, I'll probably prune all the stories I was watching that last updated before 2020/stuff that died after chapter 1 to see if that fixes anything since I already toyed with my settings.

Edit: Well I seem to be getting op email alerts again, so I'm guessing admins fixed something.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah I keep getting alerted to the same alerts whenever i come back to site after 10 minutes or so. Not an email alert, just the little bell will say 3 alerts and I tab over it to it was the same 3 things I already saw but chose not to open 20-30 minutes ago. All are considering themselves red but it seems like the site is regularly marking them unread again,

Yeah I keep getting alerted to the same alerts whenever i come back to site after 10 minutes or so. Not an email alert, just the little bell will say 3 alerts and I tab over it to it was the same 3 things I already saw but chose not to open 20-30 minutes ago. All are considering themselves red but it seems like the site is regularly marking them unread again,
Turn this option in preferences off, it got turned on for everyone and makes every thread alert but not send emails if there's new messages and it wasn't already alerting.
public

Unrelated, I've gotten two op threadmark emails since my last post in this thread, so I think admins fixed that problem.

Turn this option in preferences off, it got turned on for everyone and makes every thread alert but not send emails if there's new messages and it wasn't already alerting.
public

Unrelated, I've gotten two op threadmark emails since my last post in this thread, so I think admins fixed that problem.
Ah. Thank you.

Why was this set to default though?

I'm noticing I get alerts for threads that I'm watching all posts, but I don't think I've seen a single alert for threads where I set it to op email. There's definitely been new op threadmarks that would've normally alerted me before the XF2 transition. And like other people mentioned, a lot of threads I'd fully read list threadmarks as new that definitely aren't.

I noticed this setting wasn't toggled on, so I'm testing if that helps any.

public

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, I think I've only gotten alerts for threads created since the XF2 transition

Edit 2: Think turning that option on just made me get alerts for non-op posts regardless of what I actually set, haven't been emailed yet though.
I've been trying it for a bit since the upgrade. It doesn't seem to have helped.
SNIP...

If anyone wants to compare, I'm following 469 threads and here's my settings,
Following 400 myself.

It really feels like I'm getting a notification for every other post or so. This is nuts.

It really feels like I'm getting a notification for every other post or so. This is nuts.

This is the case for me as well since the server change. Even if I haven't looked into a particular thread, I will get notified if someone posts there. If it isn't fixed, notifications will be completely broken for those affected.

This is the case for me as well since the server change. Even if I haven't looked into a particular thread, I will get notified if someone posts there. If it isn't fixed, notifications will be completely broken for those affected.

OK, weird thing that probably fits here: when I click on the Alerts bell, a significant number of my Alerts suddenly vanish. Like, I arrived at the forum and it said I had 38 alerts, and then as soon as I clicked on the bell to see them, the number went down to 16. The new posts were still there, I found them in Watched Threads, but having them vanish from Alerts is annoying. Any idea how to fix this?

I've never used email alerts, so I can't comment on that, but I've noticed a rather large increase in "spam" alerts, that is when a random user comments in a thread I'm following.

Previously, I'd reliably get OP alerts and occasional thread reply alert, especially when thread was woken up after a period of inactivity.

Now, it looks like I'm getting an alert for every reply, which means that from yesterday evening to today morning, I was greeted by a 3-digit alert count. Out of those, maybe 3 or 4 alerts were for me being quoted/a chapter being posted.

Trying to find threatmark notifications in that wall of text is, naturally, a pain.

OK, weird thing that probably fits here: when I click on the Alerts bell, a significant number of my Alerts suddenly vanish. Like, I arrived at the forum and it said I had 38 alerts, and then as soon as I clicked on the bell to see them, the number went down to 16. The new posts were still there, I found them in Watched Threads, but having them vanish from Alerts is annoying. Any idea how to fix this?
Sounds like you don't have - Alerts page skips summarizing - You should make sure it is checked. Alternatively change - Alerts summarize threshold - to a number you'd like.

I've never used email alerts, so I can't comment on that, but I've noticed a rather large increase in "spam" alerts, that is when a random user comments in a thread I'm following.

Previously, I'd reliably get OP alerts and occasional thread reply alert, especially when thread was woken up after a period of inactivity.

Now, it looks like I'm getting an alert for every reply, which means that from yesterday evening to today morning, I was greeted by a 3-digit alert count. Out of those, maybe 3 or 4 alerts were for me being quoted/a chapter being posted.

Trying to find threatmark notifications in that wall of text is, naturally, a pain.
Try - Settings by notification category: When someone… - the 5th option down - Replies to a watched thread - uncheck these.

---

As an aside from this comment and to the thread itself, I thought it was better today I woke up to 5 out 6 working Alerts & Emails. As they day progressed. I got nothing. I think missing 3 more A&E. So currently at 5 out of 9 today. Which is vastly better to what I normally wake up to, that being about 10-20% correctly working A&E. No, that's not overstatement. Also, some threads have never given me an Alert Notification or Email. For example: Deep In The DONJON, He Dives [Danmachi] Unwatching & Rewatching hasn't helped either.

Last edited:
So I don't know about email notifications since I have long since turned it off to not get my mailbox bloated. However I have a problem with not getting an "op posting a new chapter/threadmark". For example yesterday out of maybe 5 new updates I got only 1 notification from a single thread, instead of 5 notifications from the 5 updated threads that op posted in.

edit: Posted a screenshot of of notifications setting in case I am dumb and misunderstood a setting that is causing all this.
edit2: For some odd reason can't post the screenshot of "alert preference" so I'll have it in writing.

Alert Pref:
Alert page skips summarizing: ON
Use per-alert configuration: ON
Generate new alerts without reading threads: ON
Show tags in alerts: ON
Use Custom: ON

4crjkD.jpg

Last edited:
Mine looks like this. Why are our 'reset' options different?
Note that I have recently, as in a few hours ago, turned on 'Thread Starter replies always alerts' I've had it turned off as I just want the threadmarks. If I want to peruse the thread for responses I can do it without any alerts. That said, I'm seeing if it improves my erratic Alerts and Emails.

A follow up. Since my previous response was lacking in explanation.
Under - Alert Preferences - locate - Generate new alerts without reading threads - it reads 'If disabled, new alerts will only be generated after you visit a thread.' which implies that if enabled then the thread never goes inactive and you will always receive an alert if your preferences allows for it.

So with this in mind, and my prior post. You have 3 choices.
Try - Settings by notification category: When someone… - the 5th option down - Replies to a watched thread - uncheck these.

Enable - Generate New Alerts
Enable - Replies to A Watch Thread
End Result, No Thread goes inactive, and every reply will generate an alert.
---
Disable - Generate New Alerts
End Result, The thread can go inactive, and you will only receive alerts indicating that there was activity on the thread.
---
Disable - Replies to A Watch Thread
End Result, No alerts for general replies. Presumably you should still receive alerts for OP posts, and Quotes to your posts if you've not changed those preferences.

NOTE: This is my understanding, it may very well be wrong.

Last edited:
A follow up. Since my previous response was lacking in explanation.
Under - Alert Preferences - locate - Generate new alerts without reading threads - it reads 'If disabled, new alerts will only be generated after you visit a thread.' which implies that if enabled then the thread never goes inactive and you will always receive an alert if your preferences allows for it.

So with this in mind, and my prior post. You have 3 choices.

Enable - Generate New Alerts
End Result, No Thread goes inactive, and every reply will generate an alert.
---
End Result, The thread can go inactive, and you will only receive alerts indicating that there was activity on the thread.
---
Disable - Replies to A Watch Thread
End Result, No alerts for general replies. Presumably you should still receive alerts for OP posts, and Quotes to your posts if you've not changed those preferences.

Thank you! I found your response very helpful.

Mine looks like this. Why are our 'reset' options different?
Note that I have recently, as in a few hours ago, turned on 'Thread Starter replies always alerts' I've had it turned off as I just want the threadmarks. If I want to peruse the thread for responses I can do it without any alerts. That said, I'm seeing if it improves my erratic Alerts and Emails.

I'm sorry but I honestly can't find the difference other than the color scheme. I'm using "Dark" style with the text size 28. I'm also on PC version of Chrome.

edit: Yeah I'll try having that option turned on and see what happens in the next couple of days. Hopefully that fixes it.
It's been a bit obnoxious having to find every thread that I'm watching and looking in to see if OP posted a new chapter.....

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't have - Alerts page skips summarizing - You should make sure it is checked. Alternatively change - Alerts summarize threshold - to a number you'd like.
I do and did already have Alerts page skips summarizing on, and I had already set Alerts summarize threshold to 30. Do I need to set it to 50 or 100 to get it to not make my Alerts vanish as soon as I try to click on the bell?

I do and did already have Alerts page skips summarizing on, and I had already set Alerts summarize threshold to 30. Do I need to set it to 50 or 100 to get it to not make my Alerts vanish as soon as I try to click on the bell?
Sorry, I thought by 'vanish' you meant they were being grouped, I misunderstood.

Try - Alert pop-up options - Select - Never mark alerts as read - if I understand it correctly, this is the universal option.

Or

Alternatively, in the - Settings by notification category: When someone… - section, you can individually disable which alerts are 'auto-read' and which are not. Deselect 'Pop-up auto-read' for whichever alert type that you don't want to disappear when you click the bell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back