• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Erratic Alerts & Emails

I was also getting all replies immediately after the update. I then tried messing with the Preferences to only get thread starter replies (Because threadmarks only doesn't seem to exist). Since then I've gotten no alerts at all.

I was also getting all replies immediately after the update. I then tried messing with the Preferences to only get thread starter replies (Because threadmarks only doesn't seem to exist). Since then I've gotten no alerts at all.
Mind posting a pic of your preferences?

That would be a lot of pics with how spread out it is. But something seems to have helped when I was messing with it now, got an Alert again. Maybe Thread Starter replies always alerts?

Sorry, I thought by 'vanish' you meant they were being grouped, I misunderstood.

Try - Alert pop-up options - Select - Never mark alerts as read - if I understand it correctly, this is the universal option.
Trying that, will see whether it works tomorrow (setting the Alerts summarize threshold to 100 did not help, today my alerts went from 34 to 11).

Alternatively, in the - Settings by notification category: When someone… - section, you can individually disable which alerts are 'auto-read' and which are not. Deselect 'Pop-up auto-read' for whichever alert type that you don't want to disappear when you click the bell.

NOTE: This is my understanding, it may very well be wrong.
I do not appear to have a Settings by notification category: When someone… section at all. Is it in Preferences (which is where I looked for it), or some other area?

Good News?
Good news everyone. I - tentatively - believe my Erratic Alerts & Emails issue to be less of an issue. I don't know how, but they seem to be functioning the way I intend them. Whether it's something I've tinkered with recently or something they've changed in the background of the website, I don't know. That said I've checked, and rechecked, New Threadmarks & Watched Threads, over the last three'ish days an I think I've gotten every Alert and Email I should have.

For Anyone currently struggling with the same issue. I'll post my settings below, but first, I'll describe my goals for my settings. I want to be alerted via onsite Alerts as well as recieve an Email Notification whenever a new Chapter is released. Notably a Threadmark, but some Authors put their chapters in the Index for whatever reason. A cardinal sin to be sure. You know who you are... Anyway, I also don't want to receive alerts when the general masses reply to a thread I'm watching, as if I want to interact with the thread I can peruse it at my leisure without being bombarded by alerts. Everything else I want the same, I want to know when someone likes a post I make for that dopamine rush, so I can reread what I posted an thing to myself 'Ah, yes, Quality Content.'. I want to know when someone replies to one of my posts, or comments on a thread I made, etc.. In short. The only two things that are changed are:

- No more alerts for general replies to a thread.
- Always receive an Alert & Email when a story updates. (You must choose 'Watch this thread… and receive OP email notifications' on a watched thread for the Email Notification.)

At the very least this should be a good starting point if your having difficulties. *There should be 7 Images.*

Last edited:
I've started getting new alerts thankfully but i've noticed something annoying, and some settings-fiddling so far doesnt' seem to have worked to get what I want
Previously the alerts popup would display roughly like 20 alerts before the rest would only appear on the alerts page itself, but maybe like 10ish minutes after you read an alert from the popup it would be cleared and a new one could take it's place
The new functionality seems to just always have alerts be in the alerts bar even if they're really old and already read. What setting controls that, if any?
Say I have 10 alerts, I read them, I get 20 new alerts, as it stands now in my alerts bar I get 10 of those new alerts actually in that bar, with the other 10 that can fit being the old ones (and thus me probably accidentally rereading multiple old chapters several times rather than the new one I want)

So I don't know about email notifications since I have long since turned it off to not get my mailbox bloated. However I have a problem with not getting an "op posting a new chapter/threadmark".
I've recently found out that I've missed on a couple of story updates because of similar issue.
Only even more erratic, quotes/replies are going just fine while OP threadmark alerts are coming in once in a blue moon.
As in: one OP threadmark alert, then none whatsoever for next few chapters, so it's more likely a bug than anything.
No fiddling with preferences seem to work.

Also how come there isn't [threadmarks only] alert setting in the prefs?

Is there a way to configure alerts so you only receive them when a thread's OP makes a post or when a threadmark is made?
Having alerts happen every time a post is made is overwhelming

Somebody in another thread mentioned QQ having to pay for access but I don't know if that's true or not.
I highly doubt it. There's no way something as general as "filter a particular type of specifically marked content in forum search" can be claimed as IP, and there is usually more than one way to implement a feature. Or edit a blatantly stolen code just enough to be legally distinctive.
All those jokes about "—Dude, I've steal your code. —Dude, that wasn't my code." ain't based on nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back