• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Everyone from QQ wake up as their Avatar, what's the first thing we do in real life?

... as in Hemisphere?

if that's the case, I might just need to wander down that way; I'm pretty sure god-slaying sword+resistance to almost nuke levels of damage/not needing to breathe+anti magic should be enough for me to handle things

(I'm not a big fan of snow days)

... as in Hemisphere?

if that's the case, I might just need to wander down that way; I'm pretty sure god-slaying sword+resistance to almost nuke levels of damage/not needing to breathe+anti magic should be enough for me to handle things

(I'm not a big fan of snow days)
Mostly the bits already covered in snow most of the time.

Mostly the bits already covered in snow most of the time.
I'm sure the world governments could be convinced to just give you the arctic circle if it means they can enjoy their fossil fuels without all this bitching over global warming. Seems like a win-win.

How do you feel about only getting one sunrise and one sunset per year?

I'm sure the world governments could be convinced to just give you the arctic circle if it means they can enjoy their fossil fuels without all this bitching over global warming. Seems like a win-win.

How do you feel about only getting one sunrise and one sunset per year?
As long as I get to be a sovereign nation.

So, I was considering the bonus round in DC and it lead to me wondering whether a certain power of my avatar would work on alien technology; it's called "Return to Medieval style" and work by reducing the civilisation level of an area so that nothing beyond the means of medieval times would work.

But I'm not sure how this would apply when other species' histories get involved; for example green lantern rings have been around for thousands of years so they're older than medieval (which makes me think they might be immune) but also way more are the product of a civilisation more advance than that level (by which logic the effect should apply.

and sexuality isn't really a choice AFAIK?
Very debatable, that... or, well, it's not debatable about it not being a matter of choice... it's clearly not.

But it is very much debatable if sexuality is biological or behavioral.

It's clearly not purely, or even predominately biological... or identical twins would have identical predilections, as opposed to only having a roughly 2-3% increase in odds of being gay or bi if the subject has an identical twin that is gay or bi.

But there's also clearly a biological component, else that minor increase wouldn't be there at all, and we wouldn't see that women are over twice as likely to be bisexual (but slightly less likely to be gay) compared to men.

Or the ones whose sexuality changes over time, or due to severe mental or physical trauma.

And then there's that unknown percentage of individuals who somehow have the ability to intentionally alter their own sexuality. I know: weird, but they exist. Those "pray the gay away" camps aren't entirely fictitious. Just mostly fictitious and also fucked up.

In any case, the murky oceans of biochemistry are filled with far more that we don't understand than that which we do. And how it influences personality is among the least understood of those unknown depths.

But if this "personality swap" leaves behind your sexuality, then it would also be required to leave behind your favorite food, favorite color, left or right handedness, favorite music, response to stress, whether you're introverted or extroverted, phobias, PTSD, OCD, depression, all Cluster A personality disorders, most Cluster B disorders, and probably most Cluster C disorders as well.

Basically, at that point, it's less "you become your avatar" and more "the avatar gets your memories"... so it's safe to say you keep your sexuality... it's really the only sane way to resolve that quagmire...

It's clearly not purely, or even predominately biological... or identical twins would have identical predilections, as opposed to only having a roughly 2-3% increase in odds of being gay or bi if the subject has an identical twin that is gay or bi.
Even identical twins don't have completely identical DNA. Very similar, yes... But not identical. I read it in an article once. https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/health/11real.html

I guess your way of handling it does make it less of an existential nightmare tho.:D

Well, if it's limited to the arctic circle then so long as it doesn't wreak havoc with global weather, that seems like it isn't causing enough trouble for someone without a movement related power to bother with.

It might be interesting to see a global warming ad showing images of a polar bear on a tiny bit of ice only for blonde woman to appear, wave her hand and it suddenly has a pathway back

polar bear on a tiny bit of ice only for blonde woman to appear, wave her hand and it suddenly has a pathway back

Then she has to blast it dead because it's a fucking polar bear and the last million years has genetically programmed them to have no instincts other than running toward the nearest living animal and eating it.

Then she has to blast it dead because it's a fucking polar bear and the last million years has genetically programmed them to have no instincts other than running toward the nearest living animal and eating it.
What do you think the ice golems are for?

Elsa is Disney royalty with vaguely defined powers with a theme of ice, she'll probably end up turning it into her mount

Golden-Compass-polar-bear.jpg

But we're our avatars biologically, and sexuality isn't really a choice AFAIK?

Oh well, I guess I'd have to ask OP.
Well Trauma can certainly result in previously straight people going gay. So I'd say that, realistically, it's as much of a clusterfuck as your personality. If you get your Avatar's neurology then you wouldn't even have your own memories, but we're clearly not going for that as it's "You wake up as your Avatar" not "Your avatar replaces you".

So, simply put, if it's a part of your identity? Then it sticks. If it's not? Then it doesn't.

Plus, it has been fairly well shown that psychological trauma and other such fun shit can drastically alter the brain without any extra purely physical injury being involved. The easiest example of that is PTSD, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back