• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Exalted 3E Discussion

Mortals with dice pools smaller than the Defense Value of the exalt can attack ALL day and not hit the exalt. The flip side? Exalts if they hit a mortal, if they do more than 3 times the health levels (3) in dice of damage can instantly kill the mortal.
Attack pool must be strictly superior to have a chance in 2nd ed, because you must score higher than the DV ;)
Also you're a little bit unclear on the rule here, it's that mechanically they skip the damage roll and just apply 1 HL for every 3 raw damage dice to extras ;). And since extras have 3 HLs...

So a team in a tank would against a exalt have a very good chance of missing EVERY single shot at the exalt as the exalt keeps getting closer before charms are factored in, as the exalt gets to stunt and add 1 to 3 dice, gets to recover motes 2-6 every 'action'.
Amusingly, even though generally less hax, 3e Exalts recover exactly 5 motes in every round of combat, without stunting.

Personally I prefer EarthScorpion's mote reactor anima hack: Exalts don't recover motes in combat at all, except when flashing their anima (but once they go totemic, they recover 15 motes per action...).

Attack pool must be strictly superior to have a chance in 2nd ed, because you must score higher than the DV ;)
Also you're a little bit unclear on the rule here, it's that mechanically they skip the damage roll and just apply 1 HL for every 3 raw damage dice to extras ;). And since extras have 3 HLs...

Amusingly, even though generally less hax, 3e Exalts recover exactly 5 motes in every round of combat, without stunting.

Personally I prefer EarthScorpion's mote reactor anima hack: Exalts don't recover motes in combat at all, except when flashing their anima (but once they go totemic, they recover 15 motes per action...).

Pretty much instant kill by exalts verses the vast majority of humans. Mind you, I tend to stick with core rules when debating exalted because, let's futzing about.

Also, the extra instant death, pretty much yeah.... mechanically, it's 1 HL for every 3 damage dice rolled... so erm... yeah ^_^;

So;
exalted_2nd_ed___govern_page_by_chriss2d.jpg

"It makes perfect sense if taken in context, but looks like some random bullshit that 4chan might crank out for lols."
-is this still a legitimate thing in the 3E lore?

I don't really care. This is one of the harmless bits out there. Exalted 3E have way bigger problems than this silly trivia.
But, but, but! It's the proof that someone is extactic to read Immaculate Texts.:eek:
And both Sorcery and Workings are good, what do you mean there is anything else?:p

Rule 36. Might have been more shocking to me if this wasn't QQ.

And tbh this comic always make me wonder why artist make it sylized as feudal japanese not wuxia. This is Scarlet empire of Dragon Blooded not Emerald Empire from L5R.

Rule 36. Might have been more shocking to me if this wasn't QQ.
And tbh this comic always make me wonder why artist make it sylized as feudal japanese not wuxia. This is Scarlet empire of Dragon Blooded not Emerald Empire from L5R.
The Scarlet Empire draws inspiration from both Western and Eastern Empires of the past, but most artists and writers usually lean very heavily to one side or the other rather than attempting to mix them like they are supposed to.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ition/posts/1843398?ref=backer_project_update
Hello EX3 Backers!

RichT here:
Right now, our shippers are planning to finish up the rest of the shipping of Rewards, with stragglers, because of broken addresses and such, taking place in April.
One word of caution: please don't throw away your packing material until you are sure that you have all your Chibi Bookmarks. Apparently they can slide right into the material in transit!
Now, a bit of a long post concerning the future of the Exalted 3rd game line:

For weeks on our website, and months before that, I've been mentioning that we've been working very diligently on putting together a plan for how we're going to handle EX3's releases beyond the core book.
(Seriously, this is a long one).
First off, I'm incredibly happy to announce that Eric Minton and Robert Vance have agreed to become the new developers for Exalted 3rd Edition. Eric and Robert have been all over EX3 in various capacities since writing began, and their involvement and love of Exalted goes further back than that.
(I'm not even sure why I'm introducing them, actually, since our long-time community knows these guys so well).
With their help, we have put together a schedule for releases that starts with getting the Exalted 3rd Jumpstart: Tomb of Dreams out to backers as soon as we can get the finished layout approved by the new White Wolf.
Next, they are finishing up Arms of the Chosen, and we expect to have the Advance PDF ready in three months.
They are also in the process of assigning the remaining writing that needs to be done on the Dragon Blooded and The Realm books. Most of the writing for both books has been completed, so once they get used to our process for hiring writers and contracting and all that, we can nail down expectations on when the text will be done. Which is really important, because we won't be Kickstarting Dragon Blooded until the text is completely finished.
After a lot of discussion, and a fair bit of soul-searching, we've decided that the next two books will be Exigents and Lunars. We love a lot of the books proposed on previous schedules, and think they would really expand and enrich EX3, but we have to start getting our Exalted community the projects they need to play NOW (or close to NOW), rather than multiple years from now.
But even with Eric and Robert revved up and excited to deliver the projects I mention above, we can't deliver these projects backwards through time. And these new devs need to learn their new jobs.
The remaining Kickstarter Rewards will be coming out in the months to come, with Matt Forbeck telling us that his novel's finished drafts are on their way, and Aaron Rosenberg hammering away at his novel. The EX3 Essays book is being outlined and writers are being contacted, and composer James Semple has all but one of the Exalted character themes finished. He then has to create the "adventure themes" part of the EX3 Music Suites, but needed to figure out the the character themes so he could include parts of them in the adventure themes.
I'm not a musician, so I'll have to take his word on the process.
So what we have planned are two projects that we are going to start releasing in April. That's right, in order to provide our community with playable material now and not waiting until the Arms of the Chosen Advance PDF is released three months from now, we're going to be releasing a section of each book each month as PDFs.
The first book, EX3: Antagonists, will feature both individual NPCs as well as antagonist groups. Each section will be smaller than a chapter, and we'll be combining them all together as a PDF and PoD book after we have made a good number of them available monthly.
The second book will be the EX3 Bestiary, and will features creatures of all power levels. Some will be creatures the writers of the core had to hold back on, and others will be new and determined by what gaps we see from the core book that this project can fill. We'll release these in monthly sections that we'll combine at some point into a book, as well.
Rather than adding projects to the new devs' already intimidating plate, both these books will be spearheaded by writers familiar with EX3, and reviewed by Eric and Robert. (Also, both books need to be approved by the new White Wolf Publishing before we officially can go ahead with them.)
Finally, our new devs will be making themselves regularly available on the Onyx Path Exalted forum, and will be releasing excerpts and development notes and text on a regular basis. In fact, here is an excerpt from Arms of the Chosen, and in April we'll have a look at the Dragon Blooded charms:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms%20of%20the%20Chosen%20Preview.docx?dl=0
Obviously, this whole message hasn't delved into the nitty-gritty of what brought us here, and we really don't intend to. Instead, we are celebrating a new team of creators, as well as the monumental work that John Morke and Holden Shearer were able to accomplish through some incredibly grueling times for them personally. What glories the future holds!
Thanks!

Last edited:
First off, I'm incredibly happy to announce that Eric Minton and Robert Vance have agreed to become the new developers for Exalted 3rd Edition. Eric and Robert have been all over EX3 in various capacities since writing began, and their involvement and love of Exalted goes further back than that.
(I'm not even sure why I'm introducing them, actually, since our long-time community knows these guys so well).
Oooh boy, Holden and Mørke are jumping ships just after the corebook finally gets done, and letting Vance and Minton deal with the decisions they made for the Ex3 corebook.

Let's hope they scour it for typos, it looks quite unpolished.
Also, basically, the Resonant/Dissonant keywords are the equivalent of Mastery/Terrestrial keywords, but for Artifacts instead of Martial Arts? Gotcha. Was it really needed though?...

Don't you feel better imagining that people have good reasons to do what they do?

Like, Morke has had a lot of shit on his plate for the last few years. If I'm going to make an assumption about him one way or the other, I'd rather imagine that he has to bow out because his financial situation doesn't allow for freelancing anymore rather than because he's screwing over the fanbase.

Also, Ex3 is everything I ever wanted out of Ex2, so I don't have an ounce of bitterness in me. Not for the dev team, at any rate. The only mistake they made that impacts my gameplay experience is that the limit track still exists.

Don't you feel better imagining that people have good reasons to do what they do?
No.
Like, Morke has had a lot of shit on his plate for the last few years. If I'm going to make an assumption about him one way or the other, I'd rather imagine that he has to bow out because his financial situation doesn't allow for freelancing anymore rather than because he's screwing over the fanbase.
Sure. Doesn't mean that the design choices he made won't haunt the new dev team.
Also, Ex3 is everything I ever wanted out of Ex2, so I don't have an ounce of bitterness in me. Not for the dev team, at any rate. The only mistake they made that impacts my gameplay experience is that the limit track still exists.
I had rather high expectations for Ex3, and the dice tricks and Charm bloat were only some of the disappointments I had to face.
Now, I'm going to try and run it in my RPG circle. If at least my players like it, then I suppose I'll rate it at mediocre instead of hugely disappointing.

IME all the flaws of 3E are reasonably easy to deal with.

Character Creation? Just cobble together an XP-based creation system, or hand out BP instead of XP. The latter will give you far more specialized characters, but depending on the group that's just fine.

Charm Bloat? Reference cards make that much easier to handle in-game. Alternatively, cobble together some combos - charm cards that combine the effects of multiple charms, ideally with mote-costs in multiple of fives (for ease of tracking).

Initiative Counting is best done via some sort of marker. Small game counters of any kind do, ideally with two colours (say, black for 1s and white for 5s). Whenever someone hits someone with a withering attack, you slide that amount of Initiative from defender to attacker, and add one more from the bank. If you lose something due to a gambit or decisive attack, it goes back to the bank. Pretty simple and intuitive.

Dice Tricks? Honestly those only get complicated if you run into interactions. Yes, it's an extra roll step but that's usually really quick - it's not that much extra work compared to counting your amount of hits anyway.

Crafting? Burn it with fire. Discard the whole system, either use a fan-made one or just use the system for sorcerous workings for making artifacts (without requiring crafters to be sorcerers), and simple rolls or everything else. Different craft-skills are replaced with one skill, and fields of expertise, like it works for Lore. You might need some charms, but every crafter should be happy with some basic stuff like Craftman Needs No Tools, or a "add skill relevant for the artifact, such as sail for a water-manipulating spear, to the craft roll".

Sure, but that's no excuse. They are professionnal writers (or aspiring to be), they shouldn't have been making such lousy design choices.
I shelled over 150€ for a book whose physical copy is only now being shipped, and whose contents shouldn't require any work to adapt into basic ergonomy. Forgive me for not being placated by that kind of advice.

Now, I like what they've done with sorcery a lot :).
It works great... as a homebrew idea for Ex2 :p

(Also I kinda went WTF at your post for a second, because, for a second, I mistook you for Valette-Serafina, who is rather vocal against Ex3)

Character Creation? Just cobble together an XP-based creation system, or hand out BP instead of XP. The latter will give you far more specialized characters, but depending on the group that's just fine.

Charm Bloat? Reference cards make that much easier to handle in-game. Alternatively, cobble together some combos - charm cards that combine the effects of multiple charms, ideally with mote-costs in multiple of fives (for ease of tracking).

Initiative Counting is best done via some sort of marker. Small game counters of any kind do, ideally with two colours (say, black for 1s and white for 5s). Whenever someone hits someone with a withering attack, you slide that amount of Initiative from defender to attacker, and add one more from the bank. If you lose something due to a gambit or decisive attack, it goes back to the bank. Pretty simple and intuitive.

Dice Tricks? Honestly those only get complicated if you run into interactions. Yes, it's an extra roll step but that's usually really quick - it's not that much extra work compared to counting your amount of hits anyway.

Crafting? Burn it with fire. Discard the whole system, either use a fan-made one or just use the system for sorcerous workings for making artifacts (without requiring crafters to be sorcerers), and simple rolls or everything else. Different craft-skills are replaced with one skill, and fields of expertise, like it works for Lore. You might need some charms, but every crafter should be happy with some basic stuff like Craftman Needs No Tools, or a "add skill relevant for the artifact, such as sail for a water-manipulating spear, to the craft roll".

I read this post as 'do more side work!'

I read this post as 'do more side work!'
See, I don't have any of these problems. Tons of charms means tons of options, I never wanted to make a crafting character in the first place, I'm not super-concerned with optimizing my chargen, and initiative tracking is about as strenuous as HP tracking; it's only a big deal if you rely on one person to track everyone's numbers. At my table everyone tracks their own initiative, we compare numbers to determine turn order once per round, and nobody gives a shit.

See, I don't have any of these problems. Tons of charms means tons of options, I never wanted to make a crafting character in the first place, I'm not super-concerned with optimizing my chargen, and initiative tracking is about as strenuous as HP tracking; it's only a big deal if you rely on one person to track everyone's numbers. At my table everyone tracks their own initiative, we compare numbers to determine turn order once per round, and nobody gives a shit.

Oh, it is indeed not a big deal normally - the game run smoothly enough in my experience. Is just having GM mindset makes me wary of something I can't easily predict, least I end with accidentally house-ruling something that break the game. Like easier access to multiple attack charm. Or something more mundane, like giving the opponent more Health and prolonged the battle unnecessarily. And so on.

So.... your solution to the problems with 3rd edition is to make a new game vaguely based on 3rd edition?

That... is not a reasonable response.
New system =/= new game!
Almost all of 3E is solid. The social engine works, the combat engine works, all the other stuff (travel and survival and lore and so on) works. That's most of the game,

Heck, even crafting works at simulating one specific thing, if you handle it right. Just...not what most players want out of playing a crafter, and the mechanics are way too complicated.
So you discard the crafting-system and charms.
Your new crafting system is "make a dice roll with a difficulty, that'll show whether you succeed at crafting what you wanted. More successes get a better product or maybe some time savings. Insufficient successes result in a failed product". Just...one dice roll, that's all. Oh no, the difficulty!
For artifact crafting? You just use the same system as for sorcerous workings. It's right there, all you need to do is plug in new goal numbers for each rating of artifact. Means stay the same, Finesse stays the same. You don't have to be a sorcerer to do it, but need an Occult rating. Goal Number 20 for Artifact 3, 25 for Artifact 4, 30 for Artifact 5, arbitrarily higher for N/A. The low end is reachable by mortals, but even a dragonblood can do artifact 5 if they're happy with low finesse. It's getting exactly what you want, so higher finesse ratings, that make things truly challenging. Making a Daiklave 4 with exactly the evocations you want? Has a 50/50 chance of failing if you don't have someone working with you, take extra time, or have exotic materials (magical materials are necessary and don't grant a bonus). Not happy with those numbers? Go with 3=20, 4=30, 5=40, now it's really hard to do high-rating high-finesse even for Exalts and you need extra means for anything beyond artifact 4 even if you're an exalt. It's a system that works.

That just leaves you with the challenge of coming up with charms. Yes, that's a bit of work. But since you're using a really simple engine, and it's not a competitive system, it's hard to make something that's broken. Most crafting is done during downtime, so who cares about mote costs or such.
Talk to your players, see what they want. Make about a dozen charms. Craftsman Needs No Tools, a repair-charm, a "I keep this from breaking by my will alone" charm, a few McGuyver charms, a charm that guarantees that this object works perfectly as long as the people who benefit it worship someone of your choosing (including you), and so on.

Yes, that replaces a system.
No, that doesn't replace the entire game.

Character creation isn't the entire game either. And all you need to do is make sure your players are on a level playing field with each other - you control NPC-growth, and even the speed at which PCs grow since you hand out the XP/BP. Replacing XP with BP isn't even five minutes of work and works.

And "cobbling together combos" isn't even a game design thing. It's really just a player going "okay, I use these charms together often, let's write down their combined effects". Simple, speeds up the game, nothing to screw up.

a book whose physical copy is only now being shipped

Sorry I'm only picking up on this, but what? I've not read through the whole thread, but did the kickstarter really get that screwed up? I didn't back the project, and ordered a copy from DriveThru a few weeks back, and I've got mine.

Unrelated, but does anyone have anything resembling a conversion from 2e? The changes to essence and combat in general mean I can't just port over the old antagonists wholesale, but I really don't want to have to homebrew everything, or make everyone celestial exalted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back