• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Fallen Kingdoms

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

lost star

Connoisseur.
Primary Thread now : http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/fallen-kingdoms.273632/

Your name is Jax Wright. You are a child of the famous scientist Glorifica Wright, and have a little sister who's a pain in your rear named Terra Wright. You have sandy brown hair and are by all accounts a rather handsome young man with dark green eyes and an easygoing smile that has charmed more than one person.

The world you dwell in is called Origin. It's a place where humanity is penned inside a set of twelve cities. They've been out of contact with each other for ages so you couldn't say what they are called now, but the names are still taught in school. Jupiter, Juno, Neptune, Ceres, Bacchus, Phoebus, Diana, Mercury, Minerva, Mars, Venus, and Vulcan. You are in the city of Jupiter.

It's a massive city. Full of technology and bright happy people. There are skyscraper hydroponics farms that feed everyone, and the city is totally self sufficient. In fact, there is still plenty of room to grow even with The Wall.

The Wall is an interesting subject. It's old. Ancient even. Built at the founding of the city. Mandated by something texts only refer to as the 'Treaty of the Fallen.' There is an old copy of it in the museum for people to marvel at it, but most people ignore it nowadays, secure in The Wall's function.

For outside The Wall are monsters. Creatures that disobey every rule of science and the world you live in. They disregard everything at their whims. Some can fly without wings or propulsion. Some can breath fire that freezes. Others can simply ignore everything physical and reach into your body to pull things out.

The wall keeps them out. It's several stories high, and eternal as the rising sun. Nothing has managed to damage it, and no monsters have ever crossed it. Your people can at leisure, but outside life expectancy is usually measured in hours. Everyone is thankful for The Wall. (Well a few people have tried to blow it up, but you file those under madmen.)

Your mother has actually made her living studying the monsters. She has made a lot of inventions and has documented more than a few of the creatures and their abilities. It's allowed people to actually venture beyond The Wall and survive sometimes. Which is a first in your entire history.

Part of you wishes you were able to follow in her footsteps. But you've never had a head for science. Despite the flying, automated cars, death lasers, and other assorted entertaining machines, you are content with your history degree. And your engagement to your fiancee.

Her name is Kale Annie. She's a beautiful woman with bright pink died hair, and a body to die for. You and her hit it off at college and are now engaged to be married in about a month.

It's something you are looking forward to, despite the fact that her mother and yours do not get along at all. Janie Annie is a prominent politician who's been butting heads with your mother for years on end. Your engagement shocked them both, and while they try to keep it quiet around you, you know it's been rather... Turbulent.

But, you've dithered enough really. Right now you are at your first job. It's a archival job for the government. You are in the city hall, and have been working very diligently filing and otherwise sorting some very old records. You are on a break now for a good hour.

You can:

[] Call your Fiancee
[] Poke the guards
[] Go check out the museum nearby
[] Visit your soon to be mother in law

Also, I will entertain setting questions since this is likely a bit different than what you are used to. Technically it's in the same universe as http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/villainous-ideals-ep-2.269147/ but you won't find out why in awhile.

Index:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Jax Wright II
Relationships:

Glorifica Wright - Mother
Jax Wright - Father (Deceased)
Terra Wright - Sister
Kale Annie - Fiancee
Janie Annie - Soon to be mother in law

Skills:
Bachelors in history - Ancient Languages, History of Jupiter
Charming - People find you easy to talk to

Stats:
Instinct (5/10)- There are things just at the edge of your perception. Otherworldly things.

1 - You can tell when others are speaking
2 - You can tell when you have another's attention
3 - You can hear the 'intent' of others
4 - You can hear the 'words' of others
5 - You know when others have intent to harm you.

Humanity (88/100)- You are human.

Appearance:
Hair: Sandy Brown
Eyes: Bright, Startlingly Green
Complexion: Tanned
Clothing: Casual Business with comfortable shoes.

[X] Go check out the museum nearby

My first thought was this is a very dark pokemon world.

[x] Museum.

You decide to visit the museum nearby. It's a lovely little building that houses several dozen historical documents. It's actually one of the few that has a copy of the Treaty of the Fallen. Actually it's probably the oldest of the bunch, and is the main draw for the place. It's honestly pretty dead at this time, so you have free reign of the place.

The first place you stop at is Leroy's Folly. It contains the official documentation about an expedition outside The Wall. About a century ago a group of one hundred men armed with the latest weapons and devices attempted to head outside the wall. The intent was to eventually establish contact with other cities on the world eventually. instead they were massacred to the man. There are several transcripts of their communications and other details.

Prominent among those are the pictures of the monsters. Not all of them are hostile. There is a picture of a massive cloud of impossible large insects. A cat like creature the size of a house with fangs the size of a person taking down something even larger. There is even a picture of what looks to be a living storm cloud.

Sadly no one knows what killed the people. They just stopped communicating one day. It was likely sudden since they had regular checkups.

There is a picture of all of them at center point. One hundred people, dead like that. It was pretty much the last serious expedition.

Second place is 'Jupiter's Rights.' A document detailing the general rules and regulations for your city. Officials are elected by sections in the city, and there are rights for each citizen detailed within. This is the original document so it lacks the amendments and other details. It's an old thing, just as old The Wall, and the Treaty of the Fallen. You've always thought it odd that this has survived while the Treaty hasn't.

Something about the Treaty made the people ashamed. There are few texts you've found, and they detail a general distaste for the treaty. Most students of history pick up on it, but there really isn't much out there that would clarify the reasoning. It's irritating in a way, but records from the past have a habit of going missing.

You know there have been several attempted coups of the government. Two of them are in this museum. One's called the 'Food Revolution' which happened when one of the hydroponics buildings shorted out. The other was called the 'Rich Revolution' which was an attempted coup by a few millionaire heirs.

They both merited changes in the constitution. One is that food is mandated and regulated now. The other is that wealth cannot be passed on. The first is popular. The second... Well there is an attempt to change it every election.

The final place you visit is the Treaty of the Fallen. Or rather the copy.

It's in old text. There is a translation on a plaque next to it as there was for Jupiter's Rights. You know this one is less accurate though, and you take the time to read the proper translation.

'We fall today.
Because there are no winners here.
No victory for either.
Here is shall be the records of Origin.
We shall place a wall between us.
And forget.
The rest shall become Dust. (It's capitalized. You don't know why.)
Guard us from ourselves.
And sleep until the end of time.
We agree in this.
In this Treaty of Fallen.'

It's not really a treaty per say. There are agreements that there is likely a lot missing. Unfortunately any records are likely lost to history at this point. Due to the way Jupiter is setup it's really hard for any serious records to stay. The history stretches back for thousands of years, and it's all contained inside The Wall. About the only thing you know for certain is your species came here from somewhere else. Some of the technology is old. As in older than the city. Only recently have your sciences managed to catch up to it actually.

You probably could browse more, but your break is starting to come to an end, so it's time to start heading back.

Then the fire alarm goes off and the ground shakes a bit.

You frown and look up. You don't see any smoke, but it's probably a good idea to head out. It's pretty deserted, so you don't have any trouble with other people. Actually thinking about it, that shake was likely something being damaged. There haven't been any bombings lately, but that sort of shake is enough to convince you that something bad happened.

You start to run outside.

And come to a scene that defies comprehension. A massive stone snake is circling the city hall. There is no hint of where it came from. No sign of entry. The small shake you felt was it actually settling in. It rears up into the air and looks around. Atop it you see a figure standing on it. Too far away to make out any details.

Then the snake lunges forward and smashes it's head through the city hall.

The sound is horrific. The damage more so. And when it pulls it's head out, the figure atop it is gone.

You see a few guards shooting their weapons at the creature, but the lasers just sort of hit and do nothing. Since you know for a fact that those shots can melt through stone, this is an issue.

You have no idea what to do.

[]

Just as an FYI. The previous choice was where you were gonna be for that event.

You chose the one that had you farthest away from the entire thing, which is both good and bad. Good in that it's far less chance for you to be injured. Bad in that you have no idea what's going on... And for other reasons which will be apparent :))

Chances are that at least our soon-to-be mother-in-law and possibly our fiance as well are in the city hall, aren't they?

Mom in law is definitely. Fiancee no.

[X] Watch what's happening. From a safe distance, of course.

We're a geek, not a warrior. Let's not get roflstomped by giant snakes two updates in, kk?

Do we have any skills that could be of use here at all?
The best I can think of is trying to identify the thing, but, given what we've been told about these monsters so far, chances are that there is no accessible information about it to be had anywhere.

We're a scholar.

A historian, at that.

I doubt we'll be much help one way or another in this situation.

[X] Call your Fiancee
-[X] If not, watch from a safe distance.

We can hope that the phones still work...

Phones are cell phones basically. You have one, and it works fine.

lost star said:
Phones are cell phones basically. You have one, and it works fine.

I was thinking more that service might be an issue, considering we're in the middle of a 'giant stone snake' attack. That tends to get a lot of people making phone calls they consider to be important.

[x] Call your fiancee

You take a few steps back and find a place to hide. Off in the distance you can hear helicopters start to move in. You aren't a fighter. You aren't a hero. You are just a man who's trying not to be squished by the massive stone snake. Fortunately it seems content to wait outside the building, and even the helicopters attacks do little more than make it twitch a bit. You pull out your cell phone and dial a number. At least the service is robust in this area.

"Hi Jax!" Your fiance is peppy today apparently.

"Listen, Kale. You near a TV?" You ask as you peak out.

"No. Just at home doing some exercising." She sounds a bit confused and you hear her move.

"Go to the TV and put it on low." You look out. The snake is still there, looking like it's annoyed that it's raining. A missile impacts it's head an it twitches slightly.

"Okaaay." You hear her move again, and then a soft. "Oh my god. Are you all right?! Is MOM all right?!"

"I'm fine." Your reply has her exhale slightly. "I don't know about your mom. I'm outside the building."

"Ok, ok." She breathes out. "The military should get there soon. We have a big picture of some snake thing. Oh..." She trails off. "Oh my god, oh my god."

"Kale!" You bark out. "What's going on?!" The snake isn't moving.

"No, no no no." She mutters out and you hear her on the verge of crying. "They have feed of the inside. Something is walking through the halls. The guards are just sort... of falling apart."

You feel your heartbeat start to speed up, and you swallow dryly. "Falling apart?"

"I think I'm going to be sick." Your fiancee continues. "It's going after mom!"

"What?!" You turn out. Snake still there waiting.

"The councilors! They were in a meeting with the president." She's speaking rapidly. "They are in a secured room, but that thing can get to them!" The phone hangs up abruptly and you are left staring at it incredulously.

For a long moment nothing happens. There are more helicopters coming in, and soldiers start to pull up. But the snake ignores them unless they try to get inside the building. Then it moves far too fast for it's size. You are quietly sick in an alleyway as you watch.

Then as abruptly as it began, it ends. Snake ducks it's head into the hole it just made, and then comes out with the figure atop it's head once more. It blinks sleepily at the helicopters and then dives into the ground. Where it disappears without just a ripple, and a small rumble of the floor beneath you.

The aftermath is... Brutal to say the least. There are over a thousand dead. Most of them the heads of the government. The most senior person available is roughly five positions below the president. Your town's leadership has been effectively decapitated, and there are riots everywhere.

You manage to get to your fiancee's house afterwards, but have been basically hiding there for now.

She's a wreck. And while you barely knew anyone there, you aren't that much good either. So you've been huddling down so far. At least your family is all right. Mother and your sister are at home. Considering that's at the very wall itself, they likely won't have any issues.

The news is bad for the rest of the city however. You've not been into work again, and likely won't go into it.

Any sort of peace you might have is rather broken when your fiancee gets another phone call.

"Kale." She's still crying, but at least she's coherent. "Yeah, he's right next to me." She pauses, and then her eyes go wide. "What?! That's insane!" You turn. "No, that's impossible. He was outside the building when it happened!" She inhales sharply. "How bad?" She swallows and slowly clicks the phone closed.

You turn. "What?"

"They are accusing you of luring the monsters into the city."

"That's insane." It is really. You have no way what so ever of doing that.

"The current line is you found something your mother was using in her monster studies and called them in. There are people testifying that you have been talking with them about murdering me and my mother." She's starting to cry again.

"I would never!" You are interrupted

"I know! But they don't! There are a few dozen people clamoring to storm my house to get you!" Kale's just starting to sob now.

[]

[x] Let's both go to my mother's. She might have some answers.

[X] You don't know what's going on. This is insanity of the heighest measure- But you can't just roll over and let a vengeful mob kill you. You don't want to die. You don't want to die. You don't want to die!
-->[X] You have to find somewhere safe to hide, until this blows over- Until this is revealed as the farce it is, until you wake up from this nightmarish bizarro dream-world!

[X] This is not the time to panic. Stop take stock of safe places you can get to and try to piece together why they might think you a traitor of such magnitude. Calming breaths.... then run like hell.

hah. Three votes with variations of run like hell. :)

Well, as long as we believe that our mother isn't currently under siege, I think that destination counts as 'somewhere safe'.

- Run

---

You spare a brief moment to have your own quiet panic attack. Thoughts race through your head and you find yourself feeling rather faint. At some point you wind up sitting on the couch nearby and hyperventilating. In the end though, sitting there and panicking isn't getting you anywhere.

"I'm going to have to run." You state simply. "If I stay here, I'm going to die."

Kale nods tearily. "Where will you go?"

"To mothers at first." You state, thinking. "Hopefully she has some ideas. Then I will have to wing it. There are a few places around The Wall that can be used I think. She would know more. You can come with."

Kale shakes her head. "I can't. I'm useless right now, and if you have to run and hide, I'll just be a hinderance." She frowns some, and move to her purse. "Here." She hands you her phone.

You look at the device. Yeah, you remember talking about this. Her phone is beyond cutting edge and into experimental. Something her mother grabbed as an indulgence for her daughter. It's robust, has a massive range, and requires just sunlight to recharge. It's actually far more powerful than anything in the city needs to be. Which makes it useful for you.

"You sure?" You ask.

"They are likely tracing your number." Your fiancee states. "They wouldn't dare do mine. I'll use mothers." Her face crumples up again as she starts to sob.

You hiss through your teeth. But yeah, this is the best option. You have to leave now as well. Especially if you want to avoid anything problematic.

You give her one last hug and kiss, and start to head out. You grab one of the cars in the house. (Seriously, there are three.) And have it drive to a garage nearby your home. Traffic is almost non-existent. People are staying home and away from anyone else. In one way that's good. In another. It makes you pretty obvious.

You walk the rest of the way to your mothers house and ring the door bell.

She opens the door almost immediately. Green eyes widen slightly and she ushers you in without a word. You collapse on the couch and just shake slightly as the panic starts to overtake you again.

"Dear?" Her hand on your back makes you finally break down.

The entire story comes out. Throughout it, your mother listens sympathetically, nodding at certain points. When you are done, you are exhausted and just collapse against the couch. She watches you a moment before getting up and leaving the room. You barely notice. She's gone for a fair amount of time actually. And just when you are starting to pull yourself back together, she's back with something strange.

"Well, you can't stay here." She's matter of fact about it. "It's the second place they are going to check." She's carrying a set of wires.

"I know. I was hoping you had ideas." You admit.

"I do. Stand." You get up wearily and she starts to pull off your shirt. Confused, you let her.

First a metal collar. Then a pair of bracers. A small, thin wire connects the two. Then a rather heavy belt which is again connected to the collar. You have no idea what this is.

"Drop these down your pants." Again matter of fact, though it makes you flush at the wording. "Dear, I gave birth to you. I've seen it all." Your mother's mouth quirks as you push the small wires down your pants.

A pair of anklets go on. Then she takes a step back to check everything. You are certainly a strange sight right now you think. The wires are pretty obvious. Her next words make you cringe.

"This part is going to sting a bit." You jump as the wires hiss and blend into your skin. The sensation is not unlike touching a hot pan. It's over with quickly and the wires are now barely visible.

"What the hell?!" You aren't exactly happy about this right now.

Your mother rolls her eyes. "Big baby. I've tested this myself. It's perfectly safe."

"What is it?" You ask with a very confused expression. If it wasn't so obviously high tech, you'd call it a manacle set.

"I call it 'Aethermorph Camo.'" Your mother explains. "It keeps you from being seen by the Aethermorphs."

You take a moment to process this. Aethermorphs are the scientific name for the monsters. Not that anyone but mother uses it. "Wait, you want me to go outside The Wall?!"

"I've done it quite a few times." Your mother replis abesntmindedly. She's fiddling with something on a device she's pulled out. "Even spent a week in a small cabin I moved out there. That's where you should stay. It's out of range of everything, and as safe as it gets out there."

"Do you have any idea how much this could change things?" You are caught up a bit in the thought before your mind switches tracks. "Wait, I can't go outside the Wall! I've no clue what to do!"

Your mother chuckles slightly. "Stay in the cabin and try not to go stir-crazy." She states simply. "I'll come by with provisions when I'm sure I can't be followed."

Urk.

[]
Questions, comments, what you want to bring if anything. ECT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back