• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Fallen Kingdoms

[] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields)

We're not going to have enough food to last until our GF manages to get our sorry ass back into the city, if she manages to get us safely into the city. This sounds like the one most likely to give us a chance at extra foods.

[X] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields)

If we ever get back we are going to have to find whoever the hell framed us for this aren't we? Ah well at least we'll have a reason to go for that faustian thing.

[X] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields)

It would almost be routine now, well if there wasn't a chance to be killed horribly if you step in the wrong area. But so far you've had some pretty good luck, so you go toward the last of the easily explored areas. The fork in the stream goes in two directions one's towards a cliff, and the other is towards a field. From what you can tell it's basically a modulated drop off rather than the sheer drop that's on the other end.

As you get closer the first thing that strikes you is the smell. It's nasuating at best, and downright revolting at worst. It's pretty obvious what it is when you finally get there, but you kinda wish you didn't know.

There are a lot of bodies around the area. As best you can tell, it's two types of ants? You could probably see more if you were to get closer, but you don't want to. It's sort of like a battlefield with big bugs instead of people. There are places where there are explosions even, and you aren't certain you want to know how that happened. Not the best place to visit.

"Good food!" The voice is coming from somewhere close by, and your stomach briefly rebels. "Bug meats make this one happy. Good food!"

Sorta like a poorly sung song actually. You move warily to where it's coming from and you see a fairly large crow pecking at one of the bodies littering the ground. As you watch it pulls out something red and you have to close your eyes.

"Good food!" The crow continues to 'sing.' "Bug meats, for this one."

"Ug." You make a sound of disgust and the crow jerks.

"Something there?" It's head cocks. "This one senses nothing." It looks around and sees you. "What is that one?"

"Don't mind me." You mutter. "Just exploring."

"Oh, sneaky one then?" The bird states. "This one likes that. Well unless you want to eats it. Then this one will fly aways."

"I don't think you have to worry about that." You reply, straightening. This particular monster doesn't seem that dangerous at all actually.

"All right then." The bird pecks into the carcass and you have to close your eyes again. "Food for this one."

"I don't suppose you know what happened?" You ask curiously.

The raven caws several times, you think in laughter. "This one watched, so it does know. You must be newborn Explorer. You would know that crows are best for knows stuff."

"Well then, could you tell me?" You ask curiously.

"This one cannot." The crow pulls out something from the body. "Trade in trade. Since you are new, this one takes no offence. But remember that many have rules of this. In deals and gifts."

"So, I need to buy information from you." You work it out somewhat. "Or give you something?"

"I like riddles." It looks at you and caws again. "Good informations too. Gift me, and I will owe thee."

[]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, oooh! I have the perfect riddle~

[X] I have keys that open no locks, space but no room, and you can enter but never go in. What am I?

The bird would never get it~

I should probably clarify something just so you don't unintentionally shoot yourself in the foot. Try to use riddles that the Bird could know the answers to. If you have to explain the answer, it's not very 'good' for him.

Ah, darn. Well, that makes it a little less shooting fish in a barrel. Strike out my old vote.

[X] Can you please tell me what happened? And here is the riddle in Payment. If you like it then keep in touch with me that i might pay you again.
I run not walk on place to rest. I in sorrow appear...
I am shed by joy and exertion both, and sometimes tinged with fear...
I am vast... and I am small... I am dire of thy need...
I am almost every where... save in desert where scarce i breed.
In days you break without my kiss...
Yet you can find me lurking in the mist...
Brave sir, do you know me?

Answer:(Water)

[x] I run not walk on place to rest. I in sorrow appear...
I am shed by joy and exertion both, and sometimes tinged with fear...
I am vast... and I am small... I am dire of thy need...
I am almost every where... save in desert where scarce i breed.
In days you break without my kiss...
Yet you can find me lurking in the mist...
Brave sir, do you know me?

----

The bird's beak clacks several times and it faces you fully. "Not bad. Lengthy, but flowery. This one likes it. The answer is water." It caws and flaps it's wings. "So this one will tell you what happened."

"There are two ant mounds within a days flight. One nearby the Absolute Rule, and the other down the stream and near the Three Clans." The bird points in each direction as it speaks. Absolute Rule is The Wall? "Ant queens can't go through the Rule, and the Three Clans are big and dangerous. The Queen nearby the Three Clans can move some, and has room. But the one next to Rule is confined. So it goes to war with other."

"I'm afraid I'm not quite getting that." You smile briefly, and hope you aren't pushing too hard here.

"This one understands. You are new, so it will explain." The crow hops around slightly. "First let this one explain Absolute Rule. It is that big straight mountain in the distance. You can see it now. It is an old thing. If one gets very close, one can hear it state these rules. 'None enters without permission. None stays without permission. Such is the will of Dust.' This one doesn't know Dust, but this one knows it's power. We call it the Absolute Rule because no one has ever managed to deny this rule."

The bird nods at you as you indicate your understanding. "Three Clans is three groups. They each have the rule 'We stand together.' Gold, Red, and Blue. They have the numbers to fight Queen Ants should they need, but also don't like each other. So they ignore Ants so long as ants leave them alone."

That's pretty easy actually.

"Now big thing to remember is Ants want to expand, build, and grow. Best spots around here." The crow spreads it's wings to indicate the area. "So two queens go to war."

To be honest it sounds remarkably human like. "Thank you, that was very helpful."

"This one is happy to be of service." The crow turns back to it's meal.

[]

If you are done, choose tomorrow's action just so we can keep things moving.

[] Siren's song (The pools) - Action
[] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields) - Action
[] Faustian Pact (Down the right fork, and near the cliff) - Action
[] Royal curiosity (A strange cave nearby the fork of the stream)
[] Call Kale, check for news on phone, look for messages from mother. (Basically the catch all for 'check back home')
[] Explore (Dangerous)

-1 humanity from crow event (98)

*Note, instinct is now a bit more variable when it will level. It will unlock when it's provoked or practiced now.

[] Royal curiosity (A strange cave nearby the fork of the stream)

---

It seems pretty clear that the crow is involved in it's meal now, and you have things to think about as well. So you make your way back to your shack. There are a lot of things you've learned now. Probably the most interesting thing you can think of is these 'clans'. This implies organization and a cohesive social network, which is far different than what you've observed so far.

The closest analog would be the ants, and those are apparently run by a queen. Which isn't unexpected. It does give you a bit of framework, and lay of the land though. It also implies reasoning capabilities in the monsters. This has been theorized, but to be frank none of the current theories have anything close to the reality.

You are trying not to think of why you can understand these creatures. It hovers at the edge of your consciousness, but you really don't want to explore the reasons at all. Your best guess is that you are being influenced by proximity, but you really really don't want to think about it.

Your night is troubled to say the least. Unpleasant dreams that linger but are forgotten upon waking. You write a bit down on what you've observed so far in your journal, and then think a bit.

It's time to look at the ants again you believe. With your new understanding, you want to see if you can investigate some.

So you travel again. Down the stream, and into the cave. There you slowly but surely sneak into the area.

It's still busy. Insects moving all over. Now you try to identify the various types. It's not quite standard ant behavior actually. In retrospect that's obvious, but now that you can hear better, you can get snippets of strange conversations. It's not quite words, but you understand enough.

Pretty simple stuff actually. One says it's hungry and going to eat. Another reports that there is food at such and such place. You catch a few reports of 'nothing here' that you would guess is coming from the guards.

Altogether, it's a lot like watching a city with a lot of people working. Though you don't get the impression of any immense intelligence.

Or for that matter whatever spotted you last time. The ants aren't paying attention to you at all again. So you have no idea what triggered it before.

You do decide after some observation to pull back again though. No sense in lingering as long as last time. You move back towards the tunnel that you entered in, and that's when the ground crumbles underneath you.

It's a brief fall thankfully. It hurts like hell, but nothings broken. Bruised most certainly. Winded yes. Broken no.

Though that's not much comfort when the hairs on the back of your head stand up again. This is the same presence that spotted you last time. Something massive moves, and you slowly get up.

Well... You've found the queen.

She's a massive ant. Bloated in the way that insectoid queens are. And the size of a small buss. Her mandibles click once, and you have the sense of immense danger.

"Now what shall we do here?" It's not spoken, but the words are clear.

[]

Instinct +1 (5)

You know when others have intent to harm you.

The Bad-End is strong in this update.

[X] "Preferrably, anything that doesn't end with me dead? I like not dying. Also, I probably taste terrible.

To very seperate votes on QQ and spacebattles... And spacebattles won. :) However, this isn't a good thing.

[x] Apologize for the intrusion and explain that you are just a simple explorer. Oh and that you are new.

"I'm quite sorry!" You immediately apologize and bow slightly. "I'm just a new explorer looking around and I fell down here."

The queen ant shifts slightly. "This is an interesting thing." She looks at you as her antenna twitch. "For you were just here several mornings ago. Explorers seldom go to the same place twice." The 'voice' is steadily going more flat and the sense of danger grows. "And though we cannot see you well, we could state that you did almost the same thing twice. You came in, watched, and left."

"I can assure you I intended no harm." You state nervously.

"We think you are lying about being an explorer." The queen stills now and moves back slightly. About all she can do easily with the bulk of her form. "Thus we think you are still lying. And are a danger to the hive."

It's too dark to see very well around you, but you notice scuttling starting to happen around you. Some part of you is saying run right now. But you can't tell which way.

"Goodbye liar." Those are the last words you hear as the soldier ants attack.

You have a brief moment to scream as white hot pain lances across your body. Then things go dark.

(QQ vote)

"Now what shall we do here?" It's not spoken, but the words are clear.

You blink a few times as you are about to answer, the previous set of words dying on your lips. You hiss slightly as a pain rushes through your head, and that sense of warning DANGER flares inside your head. You feel something trickle down your nose, and think you have a faint nosebleed now. All of your sense feel hyperactive, and you can't make anything pass through your throat for an instant.

"Well?" The queen's head twitches.

"Preferrably, anything that doesn't end with me dead? I like not dying. Also, I probably taste terrible." You babble slightly.

Abrubtly the danger ceases. And the ant begins to laugh. "Oh, a babbler. We have not seen one of you in awhile. Most intruders beg for their lives, or lie shamelessly."

"Babbler?" You can't help but ask, and almost slap your hands to your mouth.

The ant laughs still more. "A being that when nervous starts to babble insistently. Now what are you doing here?"

"Just observing your hive." You state, and the danger spikes. Your mouth starts to run again in response. "It's fascinating! I've never seen the like before really. I mean there were smaller ants back home, but nothing like this!"

The queen tilts her head and the danger stops. "Strange thing." She states as she settles back. "So you are learning?"

"Yes, something like that." You reply back and wipe away the blood that's come out your nose. "I don't mean any sort of harm."

"Very strange indeed. We have not encountered your like before." The queen makes a motion that you interpret as 'I'm thinking'. "You will be watched should you return." She states finally. "But we grant you permission to enter the hive. Do not interfere with our work, and we will allow you to 'observe.'"

With that she turns away from you.

You sigh as the last of the feelings of danger fade. And then you find that you have no idea how to get out. "Umm." The queen pauses at your voice. "Could you show me the way out?"

"Strange thing indeed." The queen chuckles. "Bound to just sight then? Behind you is a wall. Follow that with a limb and you should reach a lighted tunnel. Down there a distance is close to the way you got in. You should recognize it from there."

You nod and immediately begin to move in the indicated direction.

As you get out, the aches and pains of falling and whatever happened earlier start to make their presence known. You've got more than a few tears in your clothing. It's nothing serious, but when you get back you find there isn't that much in the way of medical supplies. A few bandages, and some emergency stuff, but you go through that quickly.

And are left with nothing left.

This could be an issue should you get hurt again.

Despite this problem, you are unable to think on it. You are exhausted suddenly. And hit your cot with a thud.

[]

-10 Humanity (88)
16 days rations left

You've hit the 'easy' actions by now. Technically there are two days before another action will open. It's up to you what you wish to do.

[] Siren's song (The pools) - Action
[] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields) - Action
[] Faustian Pact (Down the right fork, and near the cliff) - Action
[] Royal curiosity (A strange cave nearby the fork of the stream) - Action
[] Call Kale, check for news on phone, look for messages from mother. (Basically the catch all for 'check back home') - Action
[] Explore (Dangerous)

Since there were a grand total of three votes, and all of them different, I'm going to be moving to the next event. This one is probably one of the biggest 'forks' in the quest. You can't necessarily lose this particular event, but you can make your life very very difficult.

-x- Undecided

You spend the next two days lingering around your shack and basically waiting for any news whatsoever from someone inside The Wall. About the sole news is a quick message from your sister.

'Stay safe. We have a picket at our door, but it's starting to slack a bit.'

Not exactly reassuring, but it does give you some hope that things are getting better inside. Kale sends you a quick text as well detailing the same thing. Aside from that, you fiddle with your phone, write in your journal, and basically try not to go insane.

It's during the night of the second day that things go very much south. One moment you are in a deep sleep, and then the next you are tumbling out of bed, your instinct blaring 'danger.' For a few seconds you blindly roll around, but the surge of adrenaline clears your head rapidly. The shack is a bad place to be in right now. Every instinct says so.

So you get out of it. Into the woods nearby, panting heavily and utterly confused.

Then you see the shapes in the distance. People. Humans.

And you know with utter certainty that they do not mean to be nice. Especially as you watch them break down your flimsy door and rush into the small building.

You swallow dryly. You are clad in your underwear. Your phone is in there. Your journal. On the plus side you are fine, but as the men come out of your shack you can tell that they are looking for you. You can almost see exactly where they are looking.

Likely nightvision goggles. It's standard gear for enforcers, and these men are at least somewhat official. The sort of weapons you can vaguely make out are something that only they have. Even as you watch, one of them clicks on something on his helmet, and your heart sinks. You know what that is. It's a trace tracker. And in a place like this, your bare feet leave a gloriously solid trail.

So the question is, what do you do now?

[]

Humanity +5 (93)

...Well we could do that contract. That would certainly all us to kill these humans.

The ant queen is a reasonable idea. She might take offense that we drew enemies into her nest but ehhh she might like some food to eat as well.

[X] Seek Sanctuary with the ants. Beg protection from the queen in exchange for knowledge of the enemies you face, convince her that these are enemies who would see her kind as legitimate targets even without your stay and that in taking you into her protection from them, you can provide her with more information about them than she and her kind might be able to learn on her own.

Why not go near that siren's pool instead? It'd raise less questions then if we seem to be in cahoots with either the ants or that faustian thing though the last one might be a useful last ditch option.

Ug, hit a slump in desire to write. Think I've gotten over it though.

[x] Ant Mound

---

You run. Or rather move as fast as possible. The moon has risen enough for you to see your path somewhat, but it's still dangerous to flat out sprint though. Combined with your bare feet, you just barely are able to keep ahead of your pursuiers. More than a few shots flash by your body to impact the trees around you. The trees don't explode from the impacts, so you can safely conclude that it's a tazing shot. They want you alive.

Which doesn't really comfort you much.

Down the stream, and through the ice cold water. Your feet ache, and your breath is heavy. Into the cave, and you stumble as darkness evelops you. You navigate the next few feet by touch, and into the main area of the hive.

It's almost empty. A few ants here and there, but they appear to be guarding more than actually working.

Your pursuers rush into the area, and you hiss in frustration. The guards ignore them as they ignored you. For a moment you are stunned, but then realize.

Your mother's design was likely copied. A proper scientist has things peer reviwed. And your mother has always been a consumate scientist.

The lead man's rifle barks out, and you just barely manage to turn your body in time as your senses blare danger. It's a glancing hit.

Which is almost worse. A body shot would have put you down. Instead your arm convulses, and you just barely refrain from shouting as you drop to the ground. It hurts beyond anything you've dealt with previously. Half your body is numb, but your legs still work for all the good that does you.

You kick out, and try to get into cover. Their boots stomp against the floor as they move slowly closer.

[]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back