• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Gaming the Apocalypse - Resident Evil Chronicles

I hadn't really put that much thought into it TBH, but this is the Licker picture I was using when writing about it:

A slimmed down claw for the blade, bone for the handle, braided leather made from Licker tongue for the "chain," and a chunk of bone used as the weighted end.
So it's a normal kusarigama, the handles on them vary from 10 to 20 inches. Only slightly larger than gardening sickles.

IMG_7522%20%281%29.jpg

Last edited:
It's a pick, with a bladed edge. It's usable, not ideal, but usable.
Didn't they pass, like, twice the place where the other soldiers died? (the first time when they deactivated the red queen they had to go through where the other guys killed by the laser were, without the MC, then when they activated it they went through there again, this time with the MC) couldn't I grab another weapon? because they cut off the doctor's head and cut the other guy in half (we didn't mention the 'cubitos')

Didn't they pass, like, twice the place where the other soldiers died? (the first time when they deactivated the red queen they had to go through where the other guys killed by the laser were, without the MC, then when they activated it they went through there again, this time with the MC) couldn't I grab another weapon? because they cut off the doctor's head and cut the other guy in half (we didn't mention the 'cubitos')
They did. I'm not the author amigo.

Quite right, but for whatever reason the bodies and everything were gone when they came back. The area completely cleaned up like it never happened. It's never explained, but I just chose to go with it.

Quite right, but for whatever reason the bodies and everything were gone when they came back. The area completely cleaned up like it never happened. It's never explained, but I just chose to go with it.
Movie plotholes. Hahaha. I always found it odd there were no robots or even janitorial staff.

Chapter 11 - Respite and Revelation
The rumbling of the cart's wheels echoed through the Control Room as Jameson pushed it into a dimly lit corner. The room, dominated by a myriad of screens and control panels, didn't resemble anything remotely comforting, especially not a place to rest. Although devoid of beds, there were several chairs that looked ergonomically designed, possibly for long hours of operation.

Jameson glanced at them, noticing the high-back design which appeared to be adjustable. Maybe, just maybe, they could be reclined far enough to offer some semblance of comfort. With a sigh, he cracked open the crate on his cart and rummaged inside. Pulling out an MRE, he ripped it open and began eating. The flavors, bland to most, were a feast to him. In situations like these, he mused, hunger truly was the best seasoning.

As he ate, the room's ambient lighting shifted, and the Red Queen's interface appeared on the central screen. Her voice, cold and mechanical, echoed through the speakers, "Jameson, it is crucial we discuss the next steps."

He chewed thoughtfully, eyeing the AI. "Before we dive into that," he said, swallowing a mouthful, "are there any more of those... biological experiments running loose?"

The Red Queen's interface displayed a brief animation, simulating thought. "There are no experiments of immediate concern currently active," she responded. "However, it is essential to note that prolonged power outages could compromise any stasis chambers in the facility."

Jameson raised an eyebrow. "So, it's a race against time then?"

"Correct."

Finishing his meal, Jameson discarded the packaging and leaned back in his chair. His attention shifted inward, thinking about the considerable EP he had accumulated. The allure of spending it was tempting, but the memory of the agonizing process to upgrade his stats made him hesitate.

Jameson rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "If I'm going to stand a chance against more of those Lickers, not to mention any other surprises the Hive has in store, I'll need to arm back up. The armory should be my first stop."

The Red Queen's interface pulsed softly, a visual indicator of her processing. "That would be a logical decision. However, the armory's defenses have been compromised. You'll need to tread with caution."

Jameson frowned. "Isn't the armory supposed to be one of the most secure locations in the Hive?"

"It was," the Red Queen responded. "Before my temporary shutdown, one of the Hive's biological experiments was moved there for high-priority weapon testing. Given the current circumstances, it has likely been released. The armory might be guarded by something much more dangerous than a Licker."

Jameson frowned, confusion evident in his eyes. "You said there were no experiments of immediate concern. How does something more dangerous than a Licker not count?"

The Red Queen's interface briefly pulsed, indicating processing. "The creature is in a dormant state and therefore not active. It was not deemed an immediate concern at that time."

Jameson let out a frustrated sigh, bringing a hand to his face in a facepalm gesture. "That wasn't exactly what I meant," he muttered under his breath. Shaking off the annoyance, he refocused his gaze on the Red Queen's interface. "Fine. Just tell me, what am I dealing with here?"

The Red Queen's interface momentarily glitched, a sign of her calculating possible scenarios. "The Chimera Project. It was designed to be an amalgamation of various deadly creatures, retaining their most lethal attributes. Imagine the agility of a panther, the strength of a gorilla, and the venom of a snake, all combined into one entity. The Chimera was unpredictable and extremely aggressive during initial tests."

Jameson took a moment to process this information, his expression a mix of disbelief and horror. "Bio research is one thing, but this..."

The Red Queen's response was devoid of emotion, as always. "T-Virus mutations generally manifest randomly and are inherently unstable. The Chimera project aimed to harness and guide these mutations by using a specific biological template. The intention was to dictate the direction of the mutation. While the process proved to be both labor-intensive and costly, it successfully demonstrated the viability of the concept."

He sighed. "Just another day in the Hive, I suppose. Once I'm geared up, what then?"

"Given the possibility of the Hive's reopening, efficiency in elimination should be our priority," the Red Queen suggested.

Jameson looked surprised. "Wait a minute. Wasn't the Hive supposed to be sealed forever after an outbreak? That was the protocol, wasn't it?"

The Red Queen's interface pulsed a deeper shade of red. "You are correct. Sealing the Hive indefinitely was the immediate policy post-outbreak. However," her voice lowered, almost ominously, "the value of the research conducted here is unparalleled. It is only a matter of time before either an official directive or covert operations attempt to access it. The Hive's reopening is, in all probability, inevitable."

The Red Queen's holographic interface pulsed briefly. "The Chimera's presence in the armory means it's now a priority target. Clearing it will not only remove a significant threat but also provide you with more resources for the battles ahead."

Jameson cracked his knuckles, determination in his eyes. "Then let's begin with the Chimera. Once it's down, we can use the armory's resources to tackle the other infected zones."

The Red Queen displayed a schematic of the Hive, highlighting the path to the armory and marking out potential hotspots of infected activity. "I'll guide you, but be cautious. The Chimera was designed for unpredictability. It's going to be a tough fight."

Jameson slouched back in the chair, exhaustion evident in every line of his face. "Before we tackle the Chimera or anything else, I need rest. Real rest," he admitted, his voice edged with fatigue. "Every muscle in my body is screaming, and I can't trust my reactions to be quick enough in a fight right now."

The Red Queen's interface dimmed in acknowledgement. "Rest is logical. Fatigue will reduce your effectiveness and increase the risk of injury. I'll monitor the Hive and ensure no threats approach this control room while you sleep."

Jameson reclined the chair, threw his feet up on another chair, and used his jacket as a makeshift blanket. "Wake me if anything urgent happens, okay?"

The Red Queen's voice softened, a hint of synthetic compassion evident. "I will. Rest well, Jameson. We have a lot of work once you wake."

Closing his eyes, Jameson finally gave in to the weight of exhaustion, his breathing steadying as he fell into a deep, restorative sleep. The Red Queen continued her vigilant watch, the room bathed in the gentle glow of her interface.

The gentle hum of machines and the ambient light from the screens provided a comforting atmosphere, allowing Jameson a brief respite from the horrors of the Hive. Time seemed to blur in the confines of the Control Room, but eventually, a gentle chime signaled Jameson's waking.

His eyes fluttered open, and he stretched, groaning at the stiffness that had settled into his limbs. Looking around, he saw the Red Queen's interface pulsing gently on the central screen.

"Good morning, Jameson," the AI's voice echoed, sounding slightly warmer than usual. "I trust you had a restful sleep?"

Rubbing his eyes, Jameson nodded. "As restful as one can get in a place like this. How long was I out?"
"Approximately eight hours," the Red Queen informed him. "No threats approached the Control Room during your rest."

Jameson grunted in acknowledgment and slowly got to his feet, flexing his fingers and rolling his shoulders. The rest had done him good; he felt revitalized, ready to face whatever the Hive threw at him next.

As he took in his surroundings, he remembered the accumulated EP and the chance to upgrade his stats. Pulling up the holographic interface, Jameson took a moment to strategize. If the Chimera was as fast and deadly as Red Queen had said, he'd need to be even faster to have any chance against it.

With that in mind, he poured his EP into his AGI.

AGI
- Level 8 ➔ 9 – 430 EP
- Level 9 ➔ 10 – 688 EP
- Level 10 ➔ 11 – 1,101 EP
- Level 11 ➔ 12 – 1,762 EP
Total EP spent: 3,981

Jameson had 37,738 EP left.

As the points flowed into his Agility, the sensation was agonizingly intense. An overpowering, almost searing energy coursed through him, causing his muscles to contract and cramp violently. His bones ached as if they were being reshaped, his flesh burning with the rapid mutation. His breathing became ragged, each gasp filled with both pain and awe. Every nerve screamed in protest, each cell in his body seeming to rebel against the sudden change. The sensation was both excruciating and electrifying, pushing him to the brink of his endurance.

Before he could fully absorb the change, the cold, analytical voice of the Red Queen resonated throughout the room. "Jameson, the rapid mutations in your physiology are... intriguing."

He raised an eyebrow, catching a hint of fascination in her tone. "Intriguing? That's one word for it."

The interface pulsed a brighter shade of red, indicative of the Red Queen's heightened interest. "The T-Virus mutations are usually random and unpredictable, yet yours seem... directed, controlled. It's as if someone—or something—is guiding them."

As the Red Queen expressed her fascination with the directed mutations in Jameson's body, he pondered for a moment. Then, with a twinkle in his eye, he replied, "You know, I once read somewhere that mitochondria—those things powering our cells—were once foreign invaders themselves. Got integrated into our cells a really, really long time ago. Maybe the T-Virus in me found a... symbiotic relationship of sorts?"

The Red Queen paused, processing the statement. "An intriguing hypothesis, albeit a simple one. The mitochondria's evolutionary journey into the eukaryotic cell is one of symbiosis, indeed. However, the T-Virus was designed for rapid and devastating effects, not harmony."

Jameson shrugged, smirking a bit. "Hey, I'm no scientist. Just a guy trying to make sense of this crazy ride. But think about it: nature has its ways, doesn't it?"

The Red Queen's interface pulsed, reflecting her contemplation. "Nature is unpredictable. It constantly adapts and evolves. And while your theory might not fit into the traditional understanding of the T-Virus, your mutations are unprecedented," she said, a hint of cold excitement in her voice. "It would be most illuminating to study you in greater depth."

Jameson shot a playful, yet slightly wary look at the screen. "When you say 'study,' I'm getting visions of being pinned to a slab while you poke and prod me."

There was a brief pause. "That would be the most effective method, but given our current circumstances, not feasible. Still, your transformation offers invaluable data."

Chuckling, Jameson stretched his legs, feeling out his increased agility. "Well, you'll just have to be satisfied with observing from a distance for now. Ready to guide me to the armory?"

The Red Queen's interface returned to its usual, more passive hue. "Certainly. But remember, Jameson, your unique mutation makes you a valuable asset—both to me and to whoever may desire control of the Hive."

Jameson's smirk deepened, his tone playful. "You know, for a super-advanced AI, you really need to work on your motivational speeches. Ever thought about taking a course on pep talks?"

The Red Queen's interface momentarily glitched, simulating a bemused response. "Noted. I shall endeavor to improve my motivational techniques."

Jameson chuckled, "That's the spirit! Alright, let's get moving."

Quest: Chimera's Demise
The Chimera, a monstrous blend of predatory genes, has escaped its containment and true to form, has made its nest in the Armory. You'll need those weapons if you intend to follow through on your promise to clear the Hive.
Objective: Confront and defeat the Chimera to gain access to the Hive's Armory.​
Rewards: 30,000 EP, Armory Access, and ???​

A/N: Hey guys, I messed up the next chapter so I'm going to have to re-write it. So, it might be a while before I can gather the motivation to do that. (No more than a week though. I'll force myself to do it before it gets to that point.)

Liked & watched.

Really liking what your doing with this, excited to see where it goes!

The interface pulsed a brighter shade of red, indicative of the Red Queen's heightened interest. "The T-Virus mutations are usually random and unpredictable, yet yours seem... directed, controlled. It's as if someone—or something—is guiding them."

Can't Jameson just tell RQ about the whole Gamer schtick?

:confused:

Can't Jameson just tell RQ about the whole Gamer schtick?

:confused:

doubt she will believe him, maybe it's just part of how his mind is taking it abd interpretation what the T virus is doing?

anyway he should also have gone for perception, not sure if charisma is a thing here though.

edited:
strength
agility
endurance
intelligence
perception

so far strength, endurance, abd agility are at 12, he needs perception and intelligence to maximize his chances.

I understand that Leon and Las Plagas from Resident Evil 4 appeared in the Resident Evil 5 movie, that means that you can invent/put in more bioweapons from the games (the mushrooms from RE7-8, the parasites from 4-5, and the zombies with hard skulls that resist a shotgun in the head from 1-2-3, there are also the zombies from the new the walking dead that run and spray acidic blood) or create one taken from Castlevania

Chapter 12 - Chimera's Reckoning
The labyrinthine corridors of the Hive stretched out before Jameson, dimly lit and ominously silent but for the occasional distant groan. With every step, the cold steel floor seemed to echo his mounting anxiety. As he navigated the winding passageways, the soft, static hum of surveillance cameras accompanied him, the eyes of the Red Queen watching, aiding.

Up ahead, a group of three zombies lumbered into view, their eyes devoid of life, yet hungrily fixated on him. Jameson's fingers closed around the grip of the Licker's Kusarigama, he darted forward, swinging the weapon in a deadly arc toward the nearest zombie. The blade connected with a sickening crunch, cleaving through its skull [+10 EP].

The other two zombies approached, close together. Using the environment to his advantage, Jameson kicked a nearby metal cart into their path, sending them tumbling. He swiftly descended upon them, finishing both off [+24 EP].

As he made his way forward, he meticulously ensured each door he passed slid shut with a hiss, ready for the Red Queen to re-engage their locks.

Jameson cautiously stepped into the Armory, his eyes immediately drawn to a large, hulking figure nestled in the corner. The creature had been dormant, its breathing low and rhythmic. However, the intrusion stirred it from its slumber. Slowly, the beast raised its head, and as Jameson's eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room, the true horror of the Chimera was unveiled.

The Chimera stood at a daunting seven feet tall, its silhouette a grotesque fusion of the creatures from which it was derived. Its body was enveloped in sleek, obsidian-black fur that glinted under the Hive's artificial luminescence. This dark mantle was starkly offset by a reptilian underbelly that gleamed with iridescent shades of green and blue.

The creature's visage was a nightmarish blend of the primal and the predatory. A primate-like head featured elongated, razor-sharp fangs that jutted menacingly from a gaping maw. Serpentine eyes, radiating a malevolent yellow glow, scrutinized Jameson with unsettling intensity. Set atop its skull were two elongated, tufted ears, twitching in response to the slightest noise.

Muscular arms, reminiscent of a gorilla's, extended from its formidable torso, culminating in clawed hands that seemed perfectly adapted for rending flesh and scaling surfaces. In stark contrast, its legs bore a feline grace, hinting at a deadly combination of agility and power. A sinuous tail, adorned with the same iridescent scales as its belly, swayed ominously behind, its tip armed with a venomous barb.

The Chimera, now fully alert, let out a deep, rumbling roar that echoed through the Armory, both a challenge and a warning. The hiss that followed, a spine-chilling reminder of its venomous ancestry, left no doubt in Jameson's mind: he was facing a monstrous culmination of nature's most formidable predators, molded by the perversities of science.

"Damn you, Umbrella!" Jameson whispered under his breath. It was impressive how much vitriol could be put in just three words.

With adrenaline pumping, Jameson snatched up a discarded Riot Shield as the Chimera lunged with terrifying speed. Each swipe from the beast's clawed hands struck with a force that felt like being hit by a truck, the very air reverberating with its power.

Every ounce of Jameson's strength was required just to redirect the blows, the shield groaning and threatening to buckle under the immense pressure. The sheer might of the Chimera made it abundantly clear: in a contest of raw power, Jameson didn't stand a chance.

However, it quickly became evident that mere defense wouldn't win this battle. With a quick slash using the blade, aiming for what he hoped would be a vulnerable spot. But even with the razor-sharp edge, the blade struggled to penetrate the Chimera's hide, which felt as dense and unyielding as braided steel cables beneath a layer of obsidian fur.

Realizing that direct confrontation wasn't yielding the results he hoped for, Jameson quickly backpedaled, feeling a numbing sensation crawling up his arm from the force of the Chimera's relentless assault. With a swift, frustrated motion, he cast aside the now cumbersome shield.

Taking a brief moment to reassess, Jameson gripped the Kusarigama by its braided leather "chain", leveraging the momentum of a wide swing. The blade, with all the force he could muster, struck the Chimera with a resonating thud. For a moment, it seemed like a victory. But as Jameson tried to pull back for another swing, he realized the blade was deeply embedded into the creature's hide. Before he could react, the Chimera lurched, wrenching the weapon from Jameson's grasp.

Now disarmed, Jameson reached for the weapons scattered on a nearby table, but the Chimera's relentless assault forced him back, tipping the table and sending combat knives clattering away over the floor. Jameson, cornered and with the beast bearing down on him, in a moment of sheer desperation, pulled Rich's pocket knife from his pocket and threw it. The blade lodged into the Chimera's side, a superficial wound that barely phased the creature, but it momentarily distracted it.

Seizing the momentary reprieve, Jameson attempted to grab a combat knife, but before he could, the Chimera, infuriated by the sting of the pocket knife, swung its muscular arm with devastating force. The blow struck Jameson in the ribs, causing a series of sharp, agonizing cracks. The force of the strike sent him flying into a gun rack, dislodging every weapon, which showered down upon him as he collapsed in pain on the cold floor.

Gasping in pain and struggling to draw breath, Jameson saw the gaping maw of the Chimera descending upon him. Its jaws, filled with razor-sharp fangs, opened wide, eager to deliver a fatal bite. But in that split second of impending doom, Jameson's fingers frantically searched his pocket, activating the perk of Rich's pocket knife: Never Disarmed.

As the blade materialized into his grasp, he summoned every ounce of strength left in him and drove it fiercely into one of the Chimera's eyes. The creature let out an agonizing roar as it reeled back, clutching its wounded eye, buying Jameson a crucial moment of respite.

Jameson snatched a nearby machine gun, rammed a magazine into place, took aim, and squeezed the trigger. The weapon roared to life in his hands, its ferocious kickback demanding every bit of his focus. Bullets streamed out in a relentless hailstorm, each one more cathartic than the last.

The deafening cacophony was almost symphonic to Jameson, a raw testament to the pent-up rage, desperation, and vindication flowing through him. With every round that tore into the Chimera's skull, he felt a surge of grim satisfaction, exacting revenge for all the pain and fear it had inflicted on him.

As the smoke swirled and the last echoes of gunfire faded, an oppressive silence reclaimed the armory. Jameson's shoulders heaved with exertion, the weight of the gun heavy in his trembling hands. Before him lay the Chimera, now lifeless and defeated. Against the bleakest of odds, human tenacity had prevailed.

Quest: Chimera's Demise
The Chimera, a monstrous blend of predatory genes, has escaped its containment and true to form, has made its nest in the Armory. You'll need those weapons if you intend to follow through on your promise to clear the Hive.

Objective: Confront and defeat the Chimera to gain access to the Hive's Armory.

Rewards: 30,000 EP, Armory Access, and Genetic Alchemy perk

Total EP: 63,227 EP

As Jameson stood amidst the chilling aftermath of the battle, the initial sharp pain from his shattered ribs was slowly eclipsed by an unfamiliar sensation coursing through his very being. Every cell in his body felt like it was quivering, resonating to an unseen force.

Breathing became laborious, each inhalation pulling against the tug of change from within. Waves of heat rolled through him, punctuated by occasional cold flashes. It was as if his genetic code was being unraveled and rewoven, the strands of his DNA dancing and intertwining in new, intricate patterns. Beneath his closed eyelids, he perceived bursts of color and patterns, abstract visualizations of the transformation occurring within.

As minutes ticked by, the tumultuous sensations of his genetic metamorphosis began to wane. The vibrant bursts of colors and intricate patterns faded into darkness, and the feeling of malleability slowly solidified once more. It felt like emerging from a vivid dream, the memories of which were swiftly being pulled away by the currents of reality. All that remained was the stark and mundane pain radiating from his ribs, grounding Jameson back into the present moment.

Genetic Alchemy
Having defeated the Chimera, a creature composed of various DNA strands, the Gamer gains profound insights into genetic assimilation. This knowledge accelerates his ability to incorporate and adapt other DNA sequences into his own.
Effect: Increases EP gain by 20% permanently.

Drawing ragged breaths, the pain evident in his every move, Jameson managed to utter, "Red Queen, is the path back to the control room still clear?"

A brief pause, then the familiar, synthetic voice of the Red Queen responded, "Yes, the route remains unobstructed."

Jameson, taking a moment to steady himself, replied, "Good... I've had enough for today." He surveyed the armory one last time, spotting a pistol lying amidst the chaos. Even in his weakened state, he knew he couldn't leave without some form of protection. He picked up the firearm and a magazine, wincing as the motion strained his injured ribs.

Hobbling over to the armory's door, he activated its security protocols. A series of metallic clicks echoed in the room, signifying the door was locked and fortified. "Don't want to do this dance a third time," he murmured to himself.

With the weapon in hand and sheer determination in his heart, Jameson began his slow, arduous trek back to the control room.

Starting EP Pool
63,227 EP

Melee Kills
1 Chimera kill = 5,000
--------------------------------
Melee Total EP = 5,000

Kill Total EP

Survival Bonuses:
N/A
--------------------------------------
Total Bonus = 0%

Kill Total EP w/Bonuses = 5,000

Finishing Total EP = 68,227

Safely back in the confines of the control room, Jameson gingerly settled himself into his chair, every movement sending a flare of pain through his body. He sighed, realizing that injuries of this magnitude were too dangerous to leave untreated, especially in this hostile environment. They also posed a significant delay in his progress, a luxury he couldn't afford.

Bringing up his Gamer Interface, he was greeted with his current stats:

STR - 12
PER - 12
END - 14
INT - 12
AGI - 12

His gaze lingered on the 'END' value. If he could increase his endurance, it would not only improve his ability to withstand physical punishment but would also speed up his recovery from injuries. Resolved, he began purchasing additional points for his endurance.

The system responded:

Purchasing END level 15: 7,218 EP deducted.
Purchasing END level 16: 11,549 EP deducted.
Purchasing END level 17: 18,478 EP deducted.
Purchasing END level 18: 29,565 EP deducted.

EP Pool: 1,417

As the upgrades coursed through him, Jameson felt a profound change. The incessant throb in his ribs shifted, easing just enough for him to notice. It wasn't the miraculous mending of bones, but rather his body's own resilience heightened, pushing towards its peak performance.

Every breath became a little easier, every movement a touch less agonizing. It was as if his body had tapped into an inner reserve, pulling him back from the brink, but not entirely out of the woods. The rapid alterations inside him teetered on the edge of what was conceivable, but they still felt very much grounded in his humanity.

Nodding to the Red Queen's interface, Jameson leaned back into the chair, the soft hum of the control room surrounding him. The weight of the day, the battles faced, and the pain endured all pressed heavily on his eyelids. He closed his eyes, letting the comforting darkness envelop him. The rhythmic pulse of the Hive's machinery served as a makeshift lullaby, lulling him into a restorative slumber. As he drifted off, the Red Queen's ever-watchful sensors continued to monitor the corridors, ensuring his safety during this vulnerable respite.

A/N: Now I know why authors abandon stories when they go back to edit chapters mid-story; it's a black pit where motivation goes to die. I've tried to re-write this at least 4 times now and no, I'm not happy with it. Well, hopefully it's good enough to get us to the other side.

Good Chapter. I enjoyed the struggle in the fight scene to show the Chimera as a strong opponent. In the length of time you used, this is probably the best fight you could make to be honest.

But I also understand why you wouldn't be satisfied with it since this fight actually feels a bit underwhelming since it ended so soon.

It's like you built up the Chimera as this epic Apex predator and it was supposed to hunt the MC like in those old predator movies, slowly building up the tension and fear factor until it culminates into a final epic struggle where the MC emerges Victorious but Harmed, learning some lessons that would be useful coming forward. But I'm sure that that will take more than one chapter and might require you to lead up to the 'getting to the armory' bit a lot more.

Maybe a puzzle scene to get the door open? Maybe the primary door got blocked off or was guarded by the Chimera? The getting to the door bit was a bit too easy IMO with only a few stragglers in between you and the door. Not exactly a bad thing since you want to limit the EP gain to match your pace, but It might be a missed opportunity for some drama.

Over all the fight with the Chimera was great other than the fact that the amalgamation of so many hunter species was laying dormant in wait for the MC and not even alert after hearing him fighting those zombies out side. The tough hide and the power of the strikes was conveyed well. If I were to change anything it would be how the MC so easily got the jump on the chimera when he's supposed to be at his weakest with only the kusarigama as his weapon.

I did find the fact that the Chimera died to a headshot from an assault rifle a little suspect when the kusarigama made such a little dent to its skin despite being so sharp, but I guess assault rifles are pretty strong despite what videogames tell you. And the MC managed to stab it's eye a bit too easily IMO since most predators first instinct is to protect its eyes as it bites, but maybe it let it's guard down since it saw the MC throw the knife once already? It was an okay scene overall.

I would have made it so the MC would see that the Chimera was too strong to take head on, so he would have to sneak in and somehow debilitate the Chimera using poison or cutting it's hamstrings somehow, or distract it somehow using noise by luring zombies to it or having the red queen attract it's attention. Do the zombies and bio experiments actively hunt each other?

I remember nemesis hunting the zombies alongside the stars members but that might be a unique case. I would think the Chimera made from all those hunting predator dna's would have some serious hunting instincts so maybe it would hunt for meat from the zombies if nothing else? It would be fun to see it actively hunt zombies for fun and play with it's food like a giant monster cat or something. Something to give the perspective that yes, this boss is actually strong and you should fear fighting it.

But all this setup would need a serious overhaul from the moment the MC went out to kill the Chimera the first time so I don't know if it's worth it. As you said it might be demotivating to have to go back and edit so it might be better to move on instead of backtracking. On the one hand you could get more value out of the chimera arc than just a one off monster who died after hitting the MC once. On the other hand you might have to stretch the arc to maybe more than two chapters or more if you want the weapon aquisition to play a key part in defeating the chimera.

If you have a new arc planned already then your better off leaving things as is for now to not get writers block. Let the ideas sit at the backburner and come back to it at a later date. It's better to get the story out first instead of waiting to perfect it in one go. You could always do a rewrite after a year or so after you're sure you can do a lot better. It's not a good idea to doubt yourself so it's better to just write on and worry about edits later.

I hope you can keep writing this story as I really enjoy it and you have the right blend of Gamer powers and adequate challenge nerfs. Thanks for the chapter and Happy halloween.

Good Chapter. I enjoyed the struggle in the fight scene to show the Chimera as a strong opponent. In the length of time you used, this is probably the best fight you could make to be honest.

But I also understand why you wouldn't be satisfied with it since this fight actually feels a bit underwhelming since it ended so soon.

It's like you built up the Chimera as this epic Apex predator and it was supposed to hunt the MC like in those old predator movies, slowly building up the tension and fear factor until it culminates into a final epic struggle where the MC emerges Victorious but Harmed, learning some lessons that would be useful coming forward. But I'm sure that that will take more than one chapter and might require you to lead up to the 'getting to the armory' bit a lot more.

Maybe a puzzle scene to get the door open? Maybe the primary door got blocked off or was guarded by the Chimera? The getting to the door bit was a bit too easy IMO with only a few stragglers in between you and the door. Not exactly a bad thing since you want to limit the EP gain to match your pace, but It might be a missed opportunity for some drama.

Over all the fight with the Chimera was great other than the fact that the amalgamation of so many hunter species was laying dormant in wait for the MC and not even alert after hearing him fighting those zombies out side. The tough hide and the power of the strikes was conveyed well. If I were to change anything it would be how the MC so easily got the jump on the chimera when he's supposed to be at his weakest with only the kusarigama as his weapon.

I did find the fact that the Chimera died to a headshot from an assault rifle a little suspect when the kusarigama made such a little dent to its skin despite being so sharp, but I guess assault rifles are pretty strong despite what videogames tell you. And the MC managed to stab it's eye a bit too easily IMO since most predators first instinct is to protect its eyes as it bites, but maybe it let it's guard down since it saw the MC throw the knife once already? It was an okay scene overall.

I would have made it so the MC would see that the Chimera was too strong to take head on, so he would have to sneak in and somehow debilitate the Chimera using poison or cutting it's hamstrings somehow, or distract it somehow using noise by luring zombies to it or having the red queen attract it's attention. Do the zombies and bio experiments actively hunt each other?

I remember nemesis hunting the zombies alongside the stars members but that might be a unique case. I would think the Chimera made from all those hunting predator dna's would have some serious hunting instincts so maybe it would hunt for meat from the zombies if nothing else? It would be fun to see it actively hunt zombies for fun and play with it's food like a giant monster cat or something. Something to give the perspective that yes, this boss is actually strong and you should fear fighting it.

But all this setup would need a serious overhaul from the moment the MC went out to kill the Chimera the first time so I don't know if it's worth it. As you said it might be demotivating to have to go back and edit so it might be better to move on instead of backtracking. On the one hand you could get more value out of the chimera arc than just a one off monster who died after hitting the MC once. On the other hand you might have to stretch the arc to maybe more than two chapters or more if you want the weapon acquisition to play a key part in defeating the chimera.

If you have a new arc planned already then your better off leaving things as is for now to not get writers block. Let the ideas sit at the backburner and come back to it at a later date. It's better to get the story out first instead of waiting to perfect it in one go. You could always do a rewrite after a year or so after you're sure you can do a lot better. It's not a good idea to doubt yourself so it's better to just write on and worry about edits later.

I hope you can keep writing this story as I really enjoy it and you have the right blend of Gamer powers and adequate challenge nerfs. Thanks for the chapter and Happy halloween.

Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I've been wanting. I agree with a lot of the points you've made here. I don't know if I ever will go back and revamp the story, but this is valuable advice moving forward.

When people don't give me feedback like this, it's like they're saying my writing is already perfect (which I know it's not). You don't have to write as much as Anirban, but pointing out something you really liked or really didn't like helps me grow as a writer. The better I get, the more enjoyable my stories become to read.

Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I've been wanting. I agree with a lot of the points you've made here. I don't know if I ever will go back and revamp the story, but this is valuable advice moving forward.

When people don't give me feedback like this, it's like they're saying my writing is already perfect (which I know it's not). You don't have to write as much as Anirban, but pointing out something you really liked or really didn't like helps me grow as a writer. The better I get, the more enjoyable my stories become to read.

Your welcome! Honestly it's refreshing to have an author appreciate criticism and feedback. A lot of times I've hesitated on giving critiques or saying too much on a chapter from some authors from fear that they might take it personally or be demotivated from writing. These days I try to contain my enthusiasm and try to stay as polite as possible.

I hope you can keep your enthusiasm for accepting criticism and learn to disregard useless negativity as you are bound to face both when trying to become an author. I also hope you forgive my selfishness in wanting you to improve and write more as I am enjoying this story and want to see it continue.

Chapter 13 - Recovery and Resolve
The sun had barely risen when Jameson awoke from his restless sleep. He took a moment to assess himself. The throbbing pain from the previous day was now a dull ache, but a cough or a deep breath reminded him sharply of his bruised ribs.

He attempted to sit up, taking his time. As he did, the room's ambient lighting brightened, and the Red Queen's familiar holographic form appeared beside him. Her face was impassive as always, but her posture suggested curiosity.

"You're awake," she noted. "Your resilience continues to exceed my expectations."

Jameson chuckled weakly. "Didn't feel very resilient last night. These ribs, though better, are still a problem."

The Red Queen observed him for a moment before replying, "You may have enhanced durability, Jameson, but it would be unwise to underestimate the extent of your injuries."

Jameson frowned. "Thanks for the pep talk. Really boosting my morale here."

Her projection shimmered slightly as she continued, "Based on my calculations, given your previous engagements and the extent of your injuries, the odds of your survival were below average."

He raised an eyebrow, a hint of annoyance in his eyes. "Then why the hell did you send me after that thing?"

The Red Queen's image became crisper, her focus absolute. "There was a tangible probability that the Chimera would have detected your presence eventually. Imagine if it had attacked while you were vulnerable or exhausted. Your chances of survival would've been even slimmer. Eliminating the threat preemptively was the most logical course of action."

Jameson snorted, "Oh, in that case, feel free to toss me into likely lethal scenarios at your convenience."

Ignoring his sarcasm, the Red Queen replied, "Efficiency is paramount. Every decision I make is calculated to ensure our mutual objective."

Jameson sighed, reaching for an MRE packet on the nearby shelf. "Got any big plans for today?" he asked, tearing the packet open.

"We cannot predict when the Hive will become operational again," she replied, her tone stern. "We must proceed with haste."

He paused, looking at her with a weary expression. "I get it, but look at me. I'm not exactly in a state to be fending off another horde."

She considered this for a moment. "Acknowledged. Once you've re-armed and regained some strength, we'll focus on eliminating smaller concentrations of threats."

Jameson nodded, taking a bite from his meal. The road ahead was uncertain, but one thing was clear: there was no time to waste.

Jameson finished the last of his MRE, chewing thoughtfully. As he swallowed, he glanced down at his stained and battered clothes. "God," he muttered, "I'd kill for a decent shower right now."

The Red Queen's avatar appeared beside him, her form flickering in the dim lighting. "Once you're adequately armed, we can prioritize the Alert Dorms. They have functional showers."

He smirked, chuckling. "Promising a 'soldier' a hot shower? You're getting the hang of this motivation thing."

Following the route, he had cleared out during his confrontation with the Chimera, Jameson made his way back to the Armory. He stepped inside, immediately unfastening his damaged Riot Armor. He glanced over the racks, finally selecting a heavier version.

"Sick of the close calls," he murmured, strapping it on. The weight felt reassuring and given his plan to tackle threats from a distance, speed was less of a priority.

Four handguns were methodically strapped to the armor, accompanied by numerous ammunition pouches on the belt. As he took a final look around, an assault rifle caught his eye. Slinging it over his shoulder, he winced slightly, reminding himself that he'd likely only use it in the direst of circumstances. His ribs wouldn't handle the recoil well.

Under the Red Queen's guidance, Jameson moved towards the Alert Dorms. The sterile, dimly lit hallways provided an eerie backdrop. Every so often, he'd pause, concentrating and extending his senses to detect any nearby movement.

In one such moment, he detected the faint shuffle of feet from around a corner. Moving silently, he lined up his sight and squeezed the trigger. A headshot. The zombie crumpled to the ground, a clean exit wound evident. [+24 EP]

A bit further ahead, he spotted two zombies huddled together, feeding on some long-dead remains. Taking advantage of their distraction, he fired twice in quick succession. Two headshots. The 5-second interval meant the combo kill added to his tally. [+58 EP]

A muffled groan echoed from above. Looking up, Jameson could see remnants of torn clothing caught in the ventilation grates. Piecing it together, he surmised someone had tried to hide up there, seeking refuge from Red Queen's rampage. Unfortunately, they must've succumbed to the virus and turned.

As this realization dawned, a metal vent cover suddenly gave way, and the now-zombified former employee lunged down. Caught off-guard, but relying on his reflexes, Jameson sidestepped the plummeting creature. As it struggled to rise from its heavy fall, Jameson took the opportunity to land a precise shot to its head, ensuring it would never get up again. Headshot. [+24 EP]

As he continued on, Jameson would close every door behind him, a hint of satisfaction in his eyes as he heard the Red Queen electronically lock them.

Finally, he reached the Alert Dorms. With a deep breath, he banged on the door loudly with the butt of his pistol, simultaneously shouting. His voice echoed down the hallway, drawing out the undead from their hiding spots.

Almost immediately, a handful of them began shambling towards him. The first approached with its hands outstretched, its once-human eyes now void of any emotion. Jameson steadied his aim and fired, the bullet puncturing its forehead. [+24 EP]

Another two came from his left, walking in an eerily synchronized manner. Timing it right, Jameson shot one, then quickly adjusted his aim to the next, downing them both in quick succession. [+58 EP]

The last of the group was a bit swifter than the others. It lunged at him, catching Jameson slightly off guard. He stumbled back, firing a couple of errant shots that missed their mark. Regaining his composure, he took a deep breath and aimed once more. The bullet hit its mark, felling the creature. [+24 EP]

After the initial four, two more approached. Jameson, spotting a nearby laundry cart, quickly pushed it forward with all his strength. The cart barreled into the two unsuspecting zombies, knocking them off their feet. Before they could even attempt to get up, Jameson was on them, finishing both with swift shots to the head. Combo Kill. [+58 EP]

He cautiously moved into the Dorms, ensuring it was clear. Once satisfied, he closed the door behind him, making sure it was secure.

He turned to a wall-mounted monitor, reloading his guns. "Alright, Red Queen. Where to next?"

"The next location to be cleared is..."

Red Queen's holographic face appeared once again, a hint of approval evident in her words. "You've done well today, Jameson."

He simply nodded, exhaustion evident in his eyes. Without another word, he headed straight for the showers. As the hot water cascaded over him, washing away days of grime, blood, and sweat, Jameson closed his eyes, a smile playing on his lips.

For the first time in days, he felt a semblance of normalcy. The simple pleasure of hot water was a reminder of the world he was fighting to reclaim.

Starting EP Pool

Ranged Kills
11 zombie kills = 132 x 2 = 264 EP
(x4) 2 zombie kills = 24 x 2 = 48 + 20% combo bonus = 58 EP
(x2) 3 zombie kills = 36 x 2 = 72 + 40% combo bonus = 101 EP
5 zombie kill = 60 x 30% environment bonus = 78 + 100% combo bonus = 156 EP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranged Total EP = 854

Kill Total
854 EP

Survival Bonuses:
Strategic Traps: +30%
Ammo Conservation: +20%
No Damage: +20%
--------------------------------------
Total Bonus = +70%

Kill Total w/Bonuses = 1,452 EP

Finishing EP Pool = 3,205

Aside from that, short chapters also tend to be harder to review due to lack of overall content. This goes double for situations like this where the MC is literally playing janitor.
Yes, the fact that you go into detail and variety in how he goes around killing the undead is nice, but not enough to comment on.
The parts where I sit up and take notice are less on the action, and more on the scenes showing the stress getting to him and his actions at keeping his humanity.
A big part of that, which genuinely shocked me and is the main draw of this fic, is his growing relationship with RQ and her own evolution.

so if the mc manages to clear the whole hive does rhat mean no raccoon city out break ? plus will he meet up with Alice and co at some point ?

Great chapter short that's ok also can't wait for Jameson to make it out into the wider world. But yeah I'd imagine that even with him stopping an outbreak in racoon city an outbreak is still going to inevitably happen after all umbrella is still going with the hold Noah's ark plan after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back