• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

I've noticed Americans don't really "get" it when you use sarcastic understatement. They tend to say what they mean and mean what they say, and expect everyone else to do the same.

That or its just sampling bias. What do you think?

I've noticed Americans don't really "get" it when you use sarcastic understatement. They tend to say what they mean and mean what they say, and expect everyone else to do the same.

That or its just sampling bias. What do you think?
A lot of it is the lack of body language and tone . I freely admit that in internet conversation, I have a hard time picking up sarcasm in American English sarcastic comments generally entail some degree of body language transmitting or signaling

A lot of it is the lack of body language and tone
Also requires a certain level of paying attention to the other person and having a level of preexisting understanding of what they do and say. It's easier to spot sarcasm from someone who is known for being sarcastic.

Treble's problem is as much 'everyone is so accustomed to him being unironically stupid that they fail to realize when he tries ironic stupidity' as it is anything else.

Treble's problem is as much 'everyone is so accustomed to him being unironically stupid that they fail to realize when he tries ironic stupidity' as it is anything else.

Also, of course, it's possible for a person to be sarcastically pretending to be stupid, and yet also organically stupid in a non-sarcastic sense, both at the same time.

So people calling him stupid might not be missing his point, but rather pointing out something else.

Does anyone here know about Pokegirls? 2001 origin date, QQ level of degeneracy, post-apocalyptic world loosely based on pokemon with anthropomorphic pokegirls... weird rabbit hole to fall at 2 am.

Vaguely heard about it here on QQ iirc, but no explanation was provided.

Vaguely heard about it here on QQ iirc, but no explanation was provided.
Long story short: a setting inspired by Pokemon where the majority of women have been turned into nyphomaniac monstergirls styled after Pokemon in a post-apocalyptic Earth after some journo-bitch smeared the inventor of said Pokegirls. Feel free to ask further questions.

Does anyone here know about Pokegirls? 2001 origin date, QQ level of degeneracy, post-apocalyptic world loosely based on pokemon with anthropomorphic pokegirls... weird rabbit hole to fall at 2 am.

My uneducated outsider impression is that it was basically co-opted by Monster Girl Encyclopedia and that setting took away attention from the Pokegirl fandom by delivering the same experience but with a lot more flexibility in terms of fetishes *and* lower chance of getting sued by Nintendo.

Original Fic that started it all is still there

Wild. Not sure whether the author posts now, or if he still posts. I remember finding a site with a lot of links to other works, including the backstory, but this is, as I understand it, the actual first original work that kicked off the whole shebang.
Nah the author left in 2001, the original was Wild Horses and Pokegirls. you can read it in the link that I provided, the page that it redirects you is so old that it specifies that the chapters are in HTML format.

Is Grammerly Pro worth the money? The free version is pretty decent from what I have seen, but it looks like the Pro version can do a lot more.

I don't understand why people are telling me I shouldn't be worried about the pacing of my story. I just want things to flow perfectly, I don't care if I've already published those chapters.

I don't understand why people are telling me I shouldn't be worried about the pacing of my story. I just want things to flow perfectly, I don't care if I've already published those chapters.
Speaking from personal experience, wanting things to flow perfectly - among other things, mind - led to a multiple year hiatus that I'm still struggling to find my way out of.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC on May 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back