• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Today I learned that hydrating rice in cold water can result in food poisoning, making it a poor choice for a food stash against events that might leave you unable to cook food.

Specific rice issue or the standard "You use hot water for these things to prevent bacteria"?

"You use hot water for these things to prevent bacteria"?
Has to be the latter.

Everyone I know (who cooks rice) likes to soak it in cold (or as cold as the tap gets, anyhow) water ahead of time. Often including salt or spices when doing the soaking.

And then it gets cooked later.

None of them ever seem to have gotten food poisoning.

Spices kill bacteria and the actual cooking kills some of the remaining ones.
Some people wash the rice before soaking it (even though the rice isn't always dirty).
Uncooked rice always leads to food poisoning and it's hell for digestion.

Today I learned that hydrating rice in cold water can result in food poisoning, making it a poor choice for a food stash against events that might leave you unable to cook food.
Being unable to make fire could be a problem in a variety of ways.
Has to be the latter.

Everyone I know (who cooks rice) likes to soak it in cold (or as cold as the tap gets, anyhow) water ahead of time. Often including salt or spices when doing the soaking.

Spices kill bacteria and the actual cooking kills some of the remaining ones.
Some people wash the rice before soaking it (even though the rice isn't always dirty).
Uncooked rice always leads to food poisoning and it's hell for digestion.
So the overall lesson is "Don't eat uncooked rice, and soaking it beforehand doesn't help".

But soaking rice to clean it before cooking it can be helpful. Probably just don't drink the cold soaking water.

I've heard positives and negatives about rinsing rice. I personally usually don't rinse it but I bet if I did it wouldn't bubble as much.

The rice I buy from the grocery looks plenty clean, I've never felt the need to rinse it.

Pre-packaged grocery stuff might be pre-rinsed (at least to some degree) anyway. The greater point is still to cook your rice before eating it.
No doubt. Besides, just from touching it, uncooked rice has the texture of large grain sand, I can't imagine it would be at all nice to eat and you might lacerate your mouth even before the digestive adventure begins.

I have both rinsed rice and not rinsed it, both white and brown, and I've noticed no substantive difference.

Much bigger differences from using the right amount of salt / using stock in place of water / getting the amount of water EXACTLY right / etc.

Was this from personal experience, or did you read it in a book?
Read on the internet.
Specific rice issue or the standard "You use hot water for these things to prevent bacteria"?
Bit of both; there's a particular sort of food-poisoning bacterium that is generally found on/in rice.
Has to be the latter.

Oh, yes, you can soak it (for a short time*) and then cook it, that works. My point is that you do in fact need to cook it, whereas there are a decent amount of vegetables that are edible raw as long as they're washed (and certainly if you buy, like, canned food, you can just eat that straight without heating it).

*Soaking it for a long time at room temperature lets the bacteria grow, and the toxin produced by these bacteria is heat-resistant.

Sup, everyone. Long and short of it is that I had a vague idea for a Fate/Grand Order fic and I didn't want to discuss it in SB's Nasuverse ideas thread. I got the distinct impression that they would rip me a new one. So BlackHadou recommend I drop the idea here.

So first off, it's at the idea stage so I haven't figured out the nitty gritty.

It would a be a VN Shirou in Chaldea fic.

Well, more like Shirou, Rin, Sakura and Illya in Chaldea fic. The idea I had is that the story would take place after the Fate route of the VN. It would take place close to a year after the 5th Grail War and Illya is pretty damn close to dying and Shirou is at his wits end. By this point he and Rin are also caught on that something is not right with Sakura or her home life. They've been trying to get it out of her, but even Rin who at this point has been bullied by Shirou to mend things can't get her to talk.

In comes Olga, who had managed to figure out quite a bit. She has a deal. She wants the three of them to join the Grand order and in exchange she will use the vast resources available to at Chaldea to treat Illya's condition.

They say yes.

Do note that the treatments they put Illya through are keeping her alive if uncomfortable. Roman is semi-optimistic that they can save her.

Maybe.

Now one thing that I think is a unique spin on things is that I would not be replacing the MC. I would be using the female Ritsuka Fujimaru. Thing is I, like many others have noticed she looks a lot like Shirou, and I want to do something with that.

Now, it might be a little silly, but I like the idea of playing with a long-lost sibling kind of deal. I want to explore how Shirou would react and deal with an actual connection from before the fire. I also want Ritsuka to meet Kormine Kieri and for her to learn that he was responsible for her family falling apart.

Haven't figured out where I would have that happen. I'm, still in the Camelot arc on the game but I think I remember someone mentioning that he shows up somewhere.

Right now I have some vague ideas for the prologue and the first Singularity.

Ok so first I don't want to spend too much time in the prologue. The main story beats I want to cover is that Ritsuka learns that Shirou was caught in the fire, which pretty much confirms who he is. Shirou and Rin having a confrontation with Archer, which while I would have the conversation on screen I might just off screen any fights. Caster Cu would be helping btw. I was thinking he would pull a Medea and buff the two.

I will say that while Shirou has gotten much better at projecting shit, he's not very good with Gae Blog. I remember in the America Singulartiy that Scathach wielding two of the 'thorns was bullshit and that Cu Alter was wielding a thousand and it was actually harming him as he did. I would go with the idea that on top of Shirou having trouble projecting Gae Blog he just couldn't use it without it trying to kill him.

I thought it made sense in the context of the setting and it takes away folks' favorite 'I win' button that wankers like to give Shirou.

Any who while the encounter with Archer is important, I intend the stars of the show to actually be Sakura, Ritsuka and Mash.

First off, I'm thinking of having Sakura save Rider and form a new contract with her. Haven't quite figured out the details just yet but my idea would ultimately be a subversion where Shirou and Rin get to Saber Alter first. I would frame it as a 'Shirou save the day' thing with some call backs to Sparks Liner High.

Only to turn around and have Shirou and Rin lose. It would be Mash who comes in to save the day and Rider who tips the scales and actually manages to beat Saber using Bellerophon.

I also think I will save Olga because fuck Lev and the horse he rode in on.

I'm not sure I would have Shirou make a contract with Saber Alter. I'm leaning towards no. Then again, I could do some stuff with it but I'm worried that it's been done before.

I need to think.

Anywho that's what I got for the prologue in the vague sense. I really want to keep everyone in character as such I will probably re-read the VN to get a better understanding of the characters. Wish there was a good Let's read of it but that's fine. Let me know if there are any fundamental flaws in the concept.

I'm not sure how I want to handle the Servant summoning Gacha thing. Any ideas would be wonderful.

Also, I kind of need a new editor for my Bleach fic. Would anyone mind giving me a hand with that?

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me nonsense and you all have a good day.

Last edited:
Honestly I would recommend replacing the prologue. Its very easy to be bogged down it. Ritsuka handles the prologue, Shirou handles some issue at Chaldea.

Kirei shows up in part 2. Your a while off him.

Honestly I would recommend replacing the prologue. Its very easy to be bogged down it. Ritsuka handles the prologue, Shirou handles some issue at Chaldea.

Kirei shows up in part 2. Your a while off him.
That, is a fantastic idea. Yeah, I like that. Need to figure out a crisis. It does lock down who Shirou's Servant would be.

I'll be heading to the Nasu thread in a bit here to post the idea there.

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

(That sentence is grammatically correct.)

Anywho, you guys wouldn't know where I could ask for help editing my Bleach fic, would you?

I really need help with this one.

Archery is just dabbing before you murder someone.

Also: can anyone point me to a LotR general thread? If there is one?

If not, I'll just leave this here:

I read a silly D&D/Pony fic a long while back, and the protagonist noted that "Ponies drank from the same well as Hobbits. Give 'em a cozy place to live, good food and plenty of it, and they're jolly, kind, and helpful. Maybe a bit thinner on average though."

Paraphrasing, because it's been a while and while I know where it is each chapter is 60k words so not unless I'm really really bored. I also can't remember whether he noted the converse, but after some LotR memes, including Second Breakfast and Tater memes, I thought of it in that context and it amused me.

Take a Hobbit on an adventure and make him eat rations and, well... Smaug and Sauron saw how that went, among others.

I forget whether the Shire was noted to have a food shortage during the whole wormtongue thing, but I'd be amused if that was the one thing he didn't touch. Been even longer since I read LotR.

I read a silly D&D/Pony fic a long while back, and the protagonist noted that "Ponies drank from the same well as Hobbits. Give 'em a cozy place to live, good food and plenty of it, and they're jolly, kind, and helpful. Maybe a bit thinner on average though."

Paraphrasing, because it's been a while and while I know where it is each chapter is 60k words so not unless I'm really really bored. I also can't remember whether he noted the converse, but after some LotR memes, including Second Breakfast and Tater memes, I thought of it in that context and it amused me.

At the entrance to Moria, your replacement Pony-tagonist has to abandon his faithful Hobbit luggage carrier who was named Sam?

At the entrance to Moria, your replacement Pony-tagonist has to abandon his faithful Hobbit luggage carrier who was named Sam?

Lol. Nah, it was the Mystara setting, with Equestria plonked down on the map.

I particularly liked the fight scene where everyone exited the bar to be accosted by several parties, including space frogs (apparently canon to the Mystara setting?) and a Beholder with a specific beef with one of them- and others I can't remember...

I was particularly amused by AJ and Big Mac getting the Beholder wrapped up in chains and dragging it up and down the street bouncing like a basketball and firing off random beams, right through the fight every minute or so.

The fight scenes in that fic made me sad that my games never measured up to the sheer chaos they usually involved.

The rice I buy from the grocery looks plenty clean, I've never felt the need to rinse it.
The rinsing is to remove some of the starch from the rice, which affects its texture. Whether this is a good idea depends on what sort of rice you're using and how you're cooking it; there are some kinds of rice where if you don't do this all the grains will essentially melt together into a solid, pudding-like mass when you cook the rice, which is generally not desired. I don't wash my rice, but that's because I use more expensive (though still cheaper than any other food) types of rice that do not have this problem.
I forget whether the Shire was noted to have a food shortage during the whole wormtongue thing
Wormtongue had very little to do with that; that was Lotho and Saruman. And the food-growing wasn't badly affected, but Lotho's/Saruman's men took an extremely-large portion of it to eat themselves or to sell elsewhere, so the hobbits didn't have enough.

Wormtongue had very little to do with that; that was Lotho and Saruman. And the food-growing wasn't badly affected, but Lotho's/Saruman's men took an extremely-large portion of it to eat themselves or to sell elsewhere, so the hobbits didn't have enough.
It has been a loooooong time since I read it. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back