• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Counterpoint: A little war called the American Revolution
Done by the wealthiest and most populous colonies of British settlers, with copious aid from multiple Great Powers like France and the Netherlands. As opposed to some third rate guerillas fighting with equipment donated by another third world country.

Trying to equate them is just desperate.

Done by the wealthiest and most populous colonies of British settlers, with copious aid from multiple Great Powers like France and the Netherlands while the British Empire was near the height of its power.

As opposed to some third rate guerillas fighting with equipment donated by another third world country while the French were still trying to recover from having been outright conquered by the Nazi's.

Fixed those for you

Recover? They got their arse pasted within 6 weeks and then spent the rest sitting with their thumbs up their arse until the Allies liberated Paris. At which point they started acting like they should be counted as one of the Victors despite contributing less than China did.

What should they be recovering from? Britain spent that time getting flatted by bombs and fighting two different Axis Powers across the globe, but she still put down all revolutionaries.

Little things like... the Nazi blitz across the French countryside, the Allies invading and pushing the Nazi's back across the Rhine, the stagnating population resulting from the casualties of the First World War, etc, etc.
And of course, we all know that France was the only nation to take casualties in WW1. And received no aid from the Marshall Plan at all. And wasn't facing opponents who faced much worse casualties under the Japanese.

Royalist France, and Spain both contributed arms funding, and recognition to the American Cause yes Washington's victory helped insure that recognition but it was recognition of legitimacy from international powers which brought Britain to the table

Little things like... the Nazi blitz across the French countryside, the Allies invading and pushing the Nazi's back across the Rhine, the stagnating population resulting from the casualties of the First World War, etc, etc.
France's population had already basically stagnated before WW1, the only reason they survived in WW1 is England committing the BEF, and even then the French high command in 1910 already planned to throw colonial troops at the Germans until they ran out of ammunition in conjunction with extending conscription to a very unpopular three years with the expectation that Russia would surge troops into east prussia that Von Moltke lost his nerve and the German navy ate up budget appropriations are really what insured the Germans didn't win in 1914 and after that it was English Credit, and then American Credit, grain and bullets that allowed France to survive... which was of course to result in France defaulting on its war time debts to the US to the tune of several billion dollars 1920s money.

I finally got a nasal spray and holy shit it's great to be able to breathe through the nose and not be a mouthbreather anymore
also not waking up with a dry mouth and a layer of gunk on the teeth is awesome
Yep. Sometimes you buy something like that on a whim, use it, and wonder why in the world you didn't try it before.

A huge part of it was shit being started by France that distracted the British forces- they could fight America, and almost certainly win.

Or they could fight France and maybe win.

Both was never really in the cards.

Came up again later in the war of 1812.

A huge part of it was shit being started by France that distracted the British forces- they could fight America, and almost certainly win.

Or they could fight France and maybe win.

Both was never really in the cards.

Came up again later in the war of 1812.
I thought 1812 was before the america war of independence.

I thought 1812 was before the america war of independence.
... The American War of Independence was officially declared 1775 (plus about a decade of increasing unrest that's considered the 'American Revolution' before then), and ended 1783.

The war of 1812, as the name implies, was about 29 years later.

Also, the US tried to conquer Canada. Which is fun.
Tried? We were succeeding.

Granted, we were only succeeding because Britain was spending most of its resources dealing with Napoleon.

And the USA knew that, which was why we accepted returning the land we'd conquered as part of the peace treaty.

And also promised not support Napoleon. Which we were never gonna do anyway because he was a fucking psycho, and also the concept of what would one day be known as the 'Monroe Doctrine' was already entrenched in the American zeitgeist.

At the same time, Britain really had its hands full with Napoleon, and ALSO didn't know how long it was going to last (three more years, FYI). Which is why they agreed to stop trying to fund native uprisings against the USA and to stop fucking with our boats.

It was officially a draw. But only one side got even part of what they wanted that they couldn't have gotten by just asking nicely.

In other words, it was a pointless waste of human life.

Mate, France got its ass beat by North Vietnam. They're the only colonial power to get legitimately beaten and driven out by force. The rest left because they were broke and the US and Soviets forced them to. France defied the US's decrees and tried to fight it out, and that's why they're called the Fifth Republic of France.

If anything, they fell the lowest of all Colonial Powers.
Remember 177-

Ninja'd.
This kills the Brit.

Tried? We were succeeding.

Granted, we were only succeeding because Britain was spending most of its resources dealing with Napoleon.

And the USA knew that, which was why we accepted returning the land we'd conquered as part of the peace treaty.

And also promised not support Napoleon. Which we were never gonna do anyway because he was a fucking psycho, and also the concept of what would one day be known as the 'Monroe Doctrine' was already entrenched in the American zeitgeist.

At the same time, Britain really had its hands full with Napoleon, and ALSO didn't know how long it was going to last (three more years, FYI). Which is why they agreed to stop trying to fund native uprisings against the USA and to stop fucking with our boats.

It was officially a draw. But only one side got even part of what they wanted that they couldn't have gotten by just asking nicely.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhS5xMK845U

Only thing I could find on YT that's any good of the show, but somewhat related if silly. Skip to 3:50 for the theme song and somewhat of an explanation.

TL;DR: Bruce Campbell plays an American spy sent (banished for fucking... Jefferson's daughter, I think) to a small island from which they think Napoleon intends to launch various plans for world conquest, to help a British spy prevent that. Various historical figures show up (some of whom were actually dead at the stated year of 1801) and various adventures are had. Also Jack pretends to be the local version of Zorro sometimes.

How the hell do genetics even work? I keep seeing couples that look like ogres produce kids that look like princes and princesses. Both in media and IRL.

How the hell do genetics even work? I keep seeing couples that look like ogres produce kids that look like princes and princesses. Both in media and IRL.
Leaving out the obvious possibility of infidelity?

Lifestyle.

Humans as a whole have solid potential to be good looking if they take care of themselves and otherwise aren't fucked over by the innumerable pitfalls that are congenital disorders, accidents, and diseases.

The number of people doomed to be 'ugly' due to genetics is relatively few, and typically from parts of the world that have been exceptionally isolated from the wider gene pool.

And most of that comes down to how the human brain is wired in ways that detect 'genetically diverse' and register that as 'attractive'.

Ever notice how all those "composite photos from x country" things produce hypothetical 'average' faces that are anything but 'average'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averageness

There's a whole science about it. Which, by logic and observed data (re: mixed race individuals tend to be seen as more attractive on average), means that two ugly parents could average out their features to a fairly attractive offspring, so long as they're different forms of ugly.

But, mostly, it's a matter of 'everyone starts at a reasonably high attractiveness potential and then life starts deducting points'.

So a book suddenly fell from the bookshelf for absolutely no reason at all, just as I'm about to go to sleep after binge watching LP's of indie horror games.

If I don't log in tomorrow, the demons got me. If I do log in and sound weird, it's a mimic or some shit.

So a book suddenly fell from the bookshelf for absolutely no reason at all, just as I'm about to go to sleep after binge watching LP's of indie horror games.

If I don't log in tomorrow, the demons got me. If I do log in and sound weird, it's a mimic or some shit.

Tell us the name of the book, so we can track down the demon using literary clues later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back