• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Since the West looks to be cranking out a lot of their own "Progression Fantasy" like Korea, China and Japan have been doing

How long till those books get more regular comic adaptations?

Because frankly, even a single chapter/issue can take months unless it's from an American Comicbook company where it's at most 20 pages per issue, most of which are lackluster

I think they'll be using AI generated assets and/od tracing over them if so, kinda like how Korean WebToons are so easy to mass produce because they're skipping out on so much drawing via assets that were bought

Since the West looks to be cranking out a lot of their own "Progression Fantasy" like Korea, China and Japan have been doing

How long till those books get more regular comic adaptations?

Because frankly, even a single chapter/issue can take months unless it's from an American Comicbook company where it's at most 20 pages per issue, most of which are lackluster

I think they'll be using AI generated assets and/od tracing over them if so, kinda like how Korean WebToons are so easy to mass produce because they're skipping out on so much drawing via assets that were bought
Not sure it'll ever really happen. Webcomics maybe, but western comics don't seem to adapt from novels very much if ever. The most you get is specifically companies that own an IP getting graphic novels made.

D&D came from the West.

All these progression fantasies are just adaptations of D&D tropes.

It's weird to see someone talking about the West appropriating from shit that originated in the West, like it should feel bad for copying its own homework.

Not sure it'll ever really happen. Webcomics maybe, but western comics don't seem to adapt from novels very much if ever. The most you get is specifically companies that own an IP getting graphic novels made.

Western Webtoons then….I think lots of those indie comic guys will have to "downgrade", but it'll be for the better

D&D came from the West.

All these progression fantasies are just adaptations of D&D tropes.

It's weird to see someone talking about the West appropriating from shit that originated in the West, like it should feel bad for copying its own homework.

TBF, I am not sure how much Japan, Korea and China even play Tabletop Gaming

TBF, I am not sure how much Japan, Korea and China even play Tabletop Gaming
Japan? A lot.

A lot a lot.

Or at least their game designers did.

Every JRPG from the early 80s to mid 90s was built entirely off of D&D. To the point where several dozen notable monsters had to be renamed for copyright reasons in the American release.

Japan? A lot.

A lot a lot.

Every JRPG from the early 80s to mid 90s was built entirely off of D&D. To the point where several dozen notable monsters had to be renamed for copyright reasons in the American release.

Most of the Light Novel/Web Novel stuff just seems loosely based off of Dragon Quest

It's only Goblin Slayer that goes on about dice

Japan? A lot.

A lot a lot.

As an aside, it always cracked me up when people were complaining that D&D was becoming too video-game-like because it was taking jargon from games that had been ripping off D&D mechanics so hard that they were effectively doing D&D things better than D&D currently did, like monster aggro and morale (both of which were relevant in oD&D and 1e but fell out of favor in more recent editions).

As an aside, it always cracked me up when people were complaining that D&D was becoming too video-game-like because it was taking jargon from games that had been ripping off D&D mechanics so hard that they were effectively doing D&D things better than D&D currently did, like monster aggro and morale (both of which were relevant in oD&D and 1e but fell out of favor in more recent editions).

How much "balance" is there between the Character Classes and Races?

Because I get most of the stuff coming out of Japan is about being an overpowered munchkin, but it still feels weird for Healers to be able to do so much

Because I get most of the stuff coming out of Japan is about being an overpowered munchkin, but it still feels weird for Healers to be able to do so much
Works that way in D&D, too.

Or have you not heard the phrase 'CoDzilla'?

Do they have "appraisers" for example, who can do just about anything?

The general best three classes in D&D, over many editions, are the Cleric, Druid, and Wizard. Because they can either get a spell or turn into something that can accomplish anything, including kill lots of mooks, equal to or better than the classes that specialize in those things. Anything else in their tier is generally a variant of them.

There was also the "Convert-Spell-To-Power Erudite Psion". A Psionics user... that could spend XP to learn Arcane powers as Psionic powers. Thus letting them spontaneously and material-lessly cast almost anything in the game. Which is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

How much "balance" is there between the Character Classes and Races?

In older D&D editions? Less than zero balance.

That's fairly new, but yes it's definitely a thing now.

In ye olde editions, it was common for a character who got "too strong" (e.g. 10th level) to retire. These characters who retired got to put their name on whatever mechanics they were able to trick the DM into allowing, stuff like new spells ("Melf's Acid Arrow" was from a PC named Melf for example).

Then the player's new character could talk up their old character's mechanics and spread the name in-world.

In older D&D editions? Less than zero balance.

That's fairly new, but yes it's definitely a thing now.

In ye olde editions, it was common for a character who got "too strong" (e.g. 10th level) to retire. These characters who retired got to put their name on whatever mechanics they were able to trick the DM into allowing, stuff like new spells ("Melf's Acid Arrow" was from a PC named Melf for example).

Then the player's new character could talk up their old character's mechanics and spread the name in-world.
or the game shifting to domain management

Overlord exists because Maruyama was killing time when his D&D group had to cancel one night so he started writing a webnovel.

Record of Lodoss War started as transcripts of a D&D campaign being published in magazines, got turned into novels, then anime, manga, etc and even spawned a new TTRPG of it's own that has supplanted D&D's popularity and become the most popular TTRPG in Japan.

Because Japan?

Everything is bureaucracy in Japan.

Fair

Explains how/why they have analogies to office workers, even though it's a more physical job

Same for Guilds in Korea's Tower System Apocalypse LITRPG equivalents which started with Solo Leveling. Where it's more of a toxic corporate office environment than a PMC.

Same for Guilds in Korea's Tower System Apocalypse LITRPG equivalents which started with Solo Leveling. Where it's more of a toxic corporate office environment than a PMC.

Solo Leveling takes place on Earth, in the modern day, after magic showed up.

There are bureaucrats and receptionists because it's Earth, in the modern day.

That doesn't bug me at all.

It is different and absurd to see the various fantasy medieval worlds which decided they need bureaucrats and receptionists (and goddamn receptionist uniforms holy shit) because the authors can imagine an escapist fantasy but not freedom from the systems of social coercion that forced them into fantasy escapism in the first place.

If there was an Adventurer's Guild in the Forgotten Realms setting it would be the uncontestable world superpower.

Same reason merchants and craftsmen used guilds historically: mutual aid and protection
If there was an Adventurer's Guild in the Forgotten Realms setting it would be the uncontestable world superpower.

I think it would work best if there are multiple competing guilds rather than one big international body

Think of "Fixers" from Cyberpunk

They don't necessarily all have buildings where everyone goes to, hell, they may go to you instead and keep the deals a secret

You know, besides the competing Adventurer's Guild in the next city over. And the six thousand or so others in the kingdom. And the million or so worldwide.
I guess I'm used to all the manga where it's all the same guild wherever you go. Because if it was like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back