• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

GIANT ROBOT Quest

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

In the future, GIANT ROBOTS are the weapons of choice for war.

Logically, this doesn't make...

shaderic

An ordinary cat?
In the future, GIANT ROBOTS are the weapons of choice for war.

Logically, this doesn't make sense. Tanks, dedicated combat aircraft, and artillery pretty much make them gigantic, incredibly expensive walking targets. People who say such things and feel that giant robots have no place on the battlefield may leave at this time.

The rest of you, WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!

I welcome you to a tale of brave men, beautiful women, and the giant robots they pilot!

Alternatively, brave women, handsome men, and the giant robots they pilot. We're equal opportunity here. Speaking of which! The story can't actually go anywhere without a Hero now, can it?

So, let's get started. You have four person stats.

STRENGTH
I don't think I need to explain this one.

DEXTERITY
Again, pretty straightforward.

INTELLIGENCE
This one isn't exactly hard either.

WILL
Okay, so Will isn't just how hard you're going to yell when unleashing a Super Attack. It's also your social stat.

To start off, you need at least one point in each stat, but no more than four. To start off, you have 8 points to split among them. Doesn't seem like a lot, does it? Well don't worry, there'll be ways to up your stats more down the line. For now, there's a couple of other things to think about.

Things like the Hero's name, perhaps?

[ ] (Write In)

How about if they're a boy or a girl?

[ ] Boy
[ ] Girl

Well, this leaves one more matter of business to take care of, before we can really move on to the second phase of character development. Since the Hero is going to be becoming an elite commander in a giant robot setting, what makes them special? What's going to make them stand out above the rest of the crowds of mook units they're going to be blowing away?

[ ] PSYCHODRIVER
- - The Hero's unit makes use of an advanced psychic amplifier that can go tell physics to sit down in a corner, it's got business to take care of.
- - - PROS: Super Robot Bullshit. Could maybe make you psychic!
- - - CONS: Locked to this unit, makes upgrading difficult.

[ ] ACE OF ACES
- - The Hero has a level of skill that is, quite frankly, bullshit. Doing the impossible is just another day to you.
- - - PROS: Real Robot Bullshit. More starting development points.
- - - CONS: Takes longer to level up.

[ ] LUCKY BASTARD
- - Sometimes, it's better to be lucky then good.
- - - PROS: Lucky. Dice Gods may kind to you.
- - - CONS: Lucky. You will also dance for the Dice Gods.

[ ] BIOLOGICAL SUPERIORITY
- - The Hero is a new breed of human, one that push the very limits of what is and isn't possible.
- - - PROS: Newtype Bullshit. You think faster, react quicker, and can multi-task really well.
- - - CONS: Nobody likes a Newtype.

Well, what're you all waiting for? Have at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
[1] Str
[2] Dex
[1] Int
[4] Will

[X] Gai Digoji (Yuki Saotome)
[X] Girl (No Im not! Im a guy dammit... these things on my chest are just biological defects...)
[X] LUCKY BASTARD (Ok ok... so I guess it was a little bit luckly that I managed to type in the activation sequence... and dodge those first shots... But I'm telling you... everything from there on was all Skill... SKILL DAMMIT!)

[X] Kuro(ko) Kamito
[X] Boy YES

[X] Ace of Aces

[X] Strength 1
[X] Dexterity 3
[X] Intelligence 3
[X] Will 1

Lucky isn't as major for a Rein. It just bleeds into overkill.

And yes. Gender is YES.

I should note that Lucky goes both ways. Taking this is pretty moot if you have bs luck. Consistently.

More seriously, it's not ally friendly. That Luck comes from somewhere you know.

The Psychodriver one is workable around if you know what to do. Likewise with Ace.

Newtype is... well, not Ally friendly until your efforts pay off. And it'd stay that way for newer people... and the big wigs upstairs.

[1] Str
[2] Dex
[1] Int
[4] Will

[X] Gai Digoji (No my name is not actually Jiro Yamada, that's just some worthless crap on my birth certificate.)
[X] Guy
[X] LUCKY BASTARD

Sorry Xicree, going to play it straight this time, funny as it would be.

[1] Str
[1] Dex
[2] Int
[4] Will

[X]Gender: yes
[X] PSYCHODRIVER

About a year ago I didn't even like giant robots that weren't Arbalest. Now I'm here.

[x] RainZero.

Thank You. Thank you for being awesome, shaderic

[1] STRENGTH
[2] DEXTERITY
[2] INTELLIGENCE
[3] WILL

[X] Hoshigawa Hanakaze, written as star river, flower wind.

[X] Girl (No I'm not! I'm a guy, dammit! These things on my chest are just biological defects...)
(Can we? Please? Trans protagonists are rare...)

[X] ACE OF ACES
- - The Hero has a level of skill that is, quite frankly, bullshit. Doing the impossible is just another day to you.
(I'd go for the newtype option, but the description here sold me 100%.)

[X] Valette-Serafina

Because I really don't want to be at the whim of the Dice Gods.

[1] Strength
[2] Dexterity
[1] Intelligence
[4] Will

[X] Ace (Now see here, blame my old folks for naming me this. I did not expect to be named Ace of Aces or something...AND STOP CALLING ME THE WHITE DEVIL, DAMNIT!!!)

[X] Boy

[X] ACE OF ACES

[2] STRENGTH
[1] DEXTERITY
[2] INTELLIGENCE
[4] WILL

[X] Boy

[X] ACE OF ACES

To clarify, are votes counted as a whole, or are they counted as, Stats, Name\gender, hero type?

[1] STRENGTH
[2] DEXTERITY
[2] INTELLIGENCE
[3] WILL

[X] Guy
[X] Riccardo Battaglia
[X] ACE OF ACES

[X] Valette-Serafine

Going Ace with high Will and low int and dex. That's... *facepalm*

[1] STRENGTH
[2] DEXTERITY
[2] INTELLIGENCE
[3] WILL

[X] Boy

[X] ACE OF ACES

We have 8 points people.

Enohthree said:
[1] STRENGTH
[2] DEXTERITY
[2] INTELLIGENCE
[3] WILL

[X] Boy

[X] ACE OF ACES

We have 8 points people.

So why the 3 Will then?

Good Real Types need capabilities more than social and hotbloodedness. Besides, Ace has no social drawback.

Rein is kinda right. The specific set of Min-maxing I made was made to work alongside of the "Lucky Bastard" type. Maxed out will to get people to go along with him (her) when she proposes insane badass Giant Robot stuff... that he (she) can pull off because he's (she's) just that bloody god dammed lucky.

Of course on occasion he (she) crashes and burns... but that's fine Part of being a real badass is walking out of your wrecked mech as it explodes dramatically in the background... (Read: You scamper out running like the dickens while hoping the whole thing doesn't go up like fire works...)

Unlike Ace of Aces which would work more on the Logical side of things. Where He'd need physical strength and actual Agility to properly work with his super-human skill, While Psycho Drive players would need more INT to handle their inhuman physics breaking bullshit powers.

Is there such a difference between 2 and 3?
The Ace pilots a real-type robot, are his (her) physical stats as important, or are they there for out-of-robot action?
Is this part of char-gen as vital, or will later development render it minor?

But only one can answer this.

Shaderic, could we have a short summery of the system?

Alright, so the system I'm using, MECHA, has three sets of stats.

One for the actual player characters, one for the giant robot, and one for Linked Stats. Linked stats are pretty much unique to MECHA, so I'll explain them here.

Your actual Giant Robot has four stats: Weapons, Armor, Technology and Speed. Players, after laying out their stats, choose which of their personal stats to link to which Robot Stat, which creates a Linked Stat.

To put it another way...

Attack = Weapons + Pilot stat X
Defense = Armor + Pilot stat Y
Engineering = Technology + Pilot stat W
Movement = Speed + Pilot Stat Z

Most of these are straightforward again, but I feel the need to clarify that Engineering is used to determine initiative.

You can choose to link any personal stat to any Giant Robot stat. Mechanically, the only effect is supposed to be number, it doesn't actually limit your abilities or anything. Fluff-wise, this is supposed to determine just what kind of pilot you are. For example, linking Int to Weapons implies that rather than go charging in, every shot is carefully aimed to maximize damage. Whereas linking Technology and Int makes it more like you're reading the tide of battle, deciding where to go next. Dex and Armor? Your defense is not being hit in the first place. Simple enough, right?

Now, outside of your GIANT ROBOT, you roll a d6 to meet various challenges with your stats and skills. Basically, let's say you were trying to use your Repair skill. You'd roll (Int)d6, aiming to roll at or under whatever your Repair skill is at. Every 1 your roll explodes, counting as a success and letting you roll again. If you get more than five successes, you get a point of Overdrive.

Overdrive is essentially a free success that you can use whenever you want. You can get more overdrive by being awesome, rolling lots of successes, and accomplishing major goals.

This isn't going directly into combat yet, but we're still in character creation. I've given you the barebones of the system, and we still need to set skills and Linked stats, which'll come up after we lock in basic character traits. I'll explain combat in depth during the combat tutorial.

To that end, I'll be locking the votes in an hour or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xicree said:
Rein is kinda right. The specific set of Min-maxing I made was made to work alongside of the "Lucky Bastard" type. Maxed out will to get people to go along with him (her) when she proposes insane badass Giant Robot stuff... that he (she) can pull off because he's (she's) just that bloody god dammed lucky.

Of course on occasion he (she) crashes and burns... but that's fine Part of being a real badass is walking out of your wrecked mech as it explodes dramatically in the background... (Read: You scamper out running like the dickens while hoping the whole thing doesn't go up like fire works...)

... Your build doesn't make sense with 'Lucky Bastard' either. It's actually more Super Robot or Newtype.

And no, your set up means that if bad luck strikes, it will get worse instead, and also inability to capitalize on good luck either.

Unlike Ace of Aces which would work more on the Logical side of things. Where He'd need physical strength and actual Agility to properly work with his super-human skill, While Psycho Drive players would need more INT to handle their inhuman physics breaking bullshit powers.

And Psycho Driver doesn't need that much more INT, those are the Super Robot Type. Ace of Aces is Real Robot Type.

Strength is more Lucky and PsychoDriver (depending on combination for the latter). You need Strength to survive shit for Luck.

Int works best for Newtype, varying for PsychoDriver, and also important for Ace.

Dex is more so important for Ace, due being, well, Real Type.

Will is primarily needed for Super Types, due to the kind of thing/shit and all. Lucky, not so much.

Not a fan of lucky, but the stat spread could be interesting and Xicree's suggested name/gender stuff amuses.

[X] Plan Xicree

Darkened said:
Not a fan of lucky, but the stat spread could be interesting and Xicree's suggested name/gender stuff amuses.

Then just vote and remove the one you're not a fan of.

ReinZero said:
... Your build doesn't make sense with 'Lucky Bastard' either. It's actually more Super Robot or Newtype.

And no, your set up means that if bad luck strikes, it will get worse instead, and also inability to capitalize on good luck either.

And Psycho Driver doesn't need that much more INT, those are the Super Robot Type. Ace of Aces is Real Robot Type.

Strength is more Lucky and PsychoDriver (depending on combination for the latter). You need Strength to survive shit for Luck.

Int works best for Newtype, varying for PsychoDriver, and also important for Ace.

Dex is more so important for Ace, due being, well, Real Type.

Will is primarily needed for Super Types, due to the kind of thing/shit and all. Lucky, not so much.
Um, do you know the system? 'cause the QM didn't say any O'that.

I mean, if ya do then I'll listen, but I can't see how a robot pilot must be fast for their mech to move fast, Ya'know?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back