• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Hagrid Quest

[X] Hunt the Desert Fox to prove yourself! That'll show 'em.

We're playing HAGRID... who think's Dragons are cute. And that giant spiders are sweethearts.

[X] As fun as that sounds you were getting an introduction with your original guide… you think?

Torgamous said:
True, but he doesn't hunt dragons.

Of course not... No more that Steve Irwin hunted Crocodiles... Oh wait I might be wrong... Fancy that.

Only thing Hagrid was ever missing was opportunity not desire.

That is not to say that he'd ever allow it to be Harmed in his hunt... but he'D definitely go do it.

This is where the hilarity truly begins.

Last edited by a moderator:

We will be known in history as the legendary arch-enemy of Rommel. Hagrid, the giant of the battle..

Wait, don't we have to take on a new Name for the Legions? Did we already choose one?

Was it ever mentioned how old Hagrid's half-brother is, I seem to recall him being younger but can't remember by how much.

Thomasfoolery said:
Was it ever mentioned how old Hagrid's half-brother is, I seem to recall him being younger but can't remember by how much.
Not as such, but Grawp is canonically the younger brother.

Fridwulfa left Hagrid's dad after Hagrid was born due to Hagrid disappointing her. He tries not to let it get to him.

Heaven Canceler said:

We will be known in history as the legendary arch-enemy of Rommel. Hagrid, the giant of the battle..

Wait, don't we have to take on a new Name for the Legions? Did we already choose one?
Nah, that's what your Original Guide option would be, properly signing on with the Legion. Write-in a name if you like, and even if Hunting the Desert Fox wins, Hagrid can do that.

Guile said:
Nah, that's what your Original Guide option would be, properly signing on with the Legion. Write-in a name if you like, and even if Hunting the Desert Fox wins, Hagrid can do that.
I know what his last name should be. Géant or Colosse as on word reference(1) those are the two words for giant in French. I more lean to Colosse as it is less obvious to Hagrid that a reference to giant is being made. While the name Caw on meaning-of-names(2) is the name of a giant from mythology in Scotland.

So Caw Colosse is my top vote followed by Talos(3) Colosse if we don't want alliteration.

(1) http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/giant

(2) http://www.meaning-of-names.com/scottish-names/caw.asp

(3) http://www.meaning-of-names.com/greek-names/talos.asp

[X] As fun as that sounds you were getting an introduction with your original guide… you think?

[X] There's still other things you could poke into around camp. Those pigeons, for instance, or those big metal muggle toys.

Go Hagrid.Pigeon are boring because they lack poision or sharp claw but the muggle need it.

Sorry for the long wait, folks! Turns out this quest isn’t quite dead after all.

“Then ’s settled,” you say firmly. “I’ll take care o’ yer ghost problem.”

"Quelle?"
It’s a word squawked like a parrot - and you’d know - and it’s followed by some quail-like peering about amongst the gaggle of… well, not frenchies, but frenchies for hire? Still need to get a handle on this legion thing and why are they reminding you so much of birds? Thankfully, by the looks on their faces you’re in good company to be confused.

"Vraiment ?"
"Okay, je commence à douter que ce gars soit pour de vrai."
"Tu l'as déjà dit!"
"Non, c'était Hassan - ignore ça, il est actuellement sérieux!"
"Je me moque qu'écouter ce fous d’anglais soit amusant, c'est clair qu'il ne comprend rien! Si il part, il va-"

"Il va quoi ?" A lad with a proper moustache, oiled and flowing down to his chin, throws in. "Tu ne penses pas que ce soit plus probable qu'il aura sont ego percer par la souffrance approprié pour une "fox hunt" en plein désert ? Il vaut mieux que ça arrive le plut tôt possible. Il reviendra en rampant et-"
"Et qu'est-ce qu'il arrivera si il parvient à le trouver, huh ?
Moustache man keeps talking, and talking. "Franchement, trouver Rommel durant l'une de ses sortie vaut bien la vie d'un nouveau qu'aucun de nous connaissons."
"Adskhan...t'es vraiment un salopard."
"Mais je ne suis pas faux. Maintenant, laisse Alan satisfaire cette brute." Moustache says with finality.

By the time they’ve sorted out whatever it was they’re babbling about, you’ve got your head back on track - old Professor Dumbledore’d be pleased, you reckon. And thinking on it, this is kinda like a sign isn’t it? Animals in general, and tracking them too? It’s kind of your area of expertise, and you didn’t have any major plans, anyway. You kept meaning to think about the future, but then the firewhiskey had gotten involved…

So here you are out in the arse end of nowhere. One group of muggles is as good as another really - no, that’s not fair of you, is it. Not that many folks back home would be so easygoing. They didn’t seem to mind you knocking over their stuff, and there was only a little screaming when Aragog showed himself. They got animals - you saw quite a few beasties you could spend months getting to know - and now you find out they track down fickle critters too. It’s like a match made in the stars, if you feel like quoting some centaurs you know. And even just getting to see a ghost fox would be pretty neat, nevermind if it’s bothering muggles who couldn’t do anything about it.

Alan laughs, a short harsh bark. “Good man, English! You give him hell, okay?” Nice of him to say, really. They’re not so bad, these blokes - the break from getting looked at like dirt for your size ain’t bad, either. It’s almost like they respect you for towering over everyone else, strange as it is.

Jean frowns. “Hold on, both of you. Last word we got from the west, the British were massing armor to attempt to bring him down. In Egypt. They are our allies and may accept you, but how would you get there from here? It must be several hundred miles!”

Well fine, that’s a big number and all, but… it don’t mean much to you. You spent plenty of time wandering through woods that’d kill folk if they weren’t respected proper, and finding old ways and secret rooms in old Hogwarts was always great fun. You’re good at that. Besides that, sleep’s nice but you can go without if you want. So if you don’t waste much time sleeping and keep up a proper jog for a few days, you could probably do it. ... Assuming ‘several hundred miles’ is what you’re guessing it is.

Ah, it’ll work out.

You shrug. “Walk, I guess.” You cough into a fist loudly. “An’, uh… Egypt, tha’d be… where…?”

Jean cradles his face in his hands again, and the fellers looking on jostle about, one of them clearly trying to say summat and getting elbowed into oblivion.

“Too perfect,” Alan sniggers, slapping his knee. Now you’re getting embarrassed with all this well-wishing. “Go west, pass the Suez between the Red Sea and the Mediterranean, cross into Egypt, ford the Nile, and you’re as good as there!”

West, eh? West is an easy enough direction to follow – and it sounds like there’s plenty of water on the way, for drinking and washing and and all. Maybe you could even get a spot of fishing done. What helpful blokes these legion-types are! Good sorts all around; you wonder why folk always told you the French were stuck up.

That fellow with the braid is back too, jabbering away in probably-French. That wispy moustache kid answered something back. Braid answered back, louder and sounding somehow incredulous. Good folk, but you will not miss not understanding more than one sentence in five.

You do notice the braided frenchie is very carefully keeping on your left side, so that you’re between him and Aragog. Little insulting to Aragog, that, but at least he didn’t say anything … uh, that you can tell.

“Well, guess I best be gettin’ on. Good meetin’ you lads,” you say simply, and orient yourself west.

Jean sighs deeply, like an upper classmen disappointed by the new firsties. He translated, “Sergent Pip has resolved the situation with your registration. You’re down in the rolls as ’Caw Colosse’ with the Pioneers.”

“Well tha’s right nice o’ yeh, I s’pose.” You’re not entirely sure how you managed to sign on with these blokes, or what that even means exactly, but it’s nice to be part of something again. “Well, off I go.”

Jean translated for the Braid Guy – er, ‘Pip’ - again. “Stay long enough to get clothes on your back, man. If you will allow yourself to be provoked, do not go off half-cocked.”

You pause again, putting a hand on Aragog’s head. The lil’ guy is pretty eager to go, but settles down at your prompt. Such a good boy. “Oh. Er. Well, I reckon I could. Not quite sure how that all happened.”

So nice, these muggles! They must have big hearts to make up for their lack of magic.

They send you off to a laconic British ex-pat type feller they just call ‘the quartermaster’. You take in the heavy-set frame with a definite belly from easy living that stubbornly exists despite what’s probably some hard desert travel. The blue eyes that look half closed, the downward-turned lips, a face that looks bored of the world at large. The curly red hair that perfectly frames that disinterested mug; a thick mop atop his head, the thick sideburns and the incongruously sharp beard that comes to an upward-thrust point between chin and lip put you in mind of a lion’s mane.

The quartermaster raises an eyebrow when he sees you tagging along behind that Pip feller. “Another new one, hm?” he drawls. He looks you over with a discerning eye like a horse at market and nods in a self-satisfied sorta way. “We’ll find him something.”
Before you know it you’re kitted up in a set of baggy pants with lots and lots of pouches, and a thick leather strap of a belt. Not a patch on your coat of course, but nice. Your fellow Brit digs out a long sleeved shirt and a pair of suspenders to go along with it, and a once-patched coat like those other fellers got. You can still manage to fit your moleskin coat over the whole lot, so that’s fine. Pip’s sudden bout of sniggers might have something to do with your new cap, which doesn’t fit on your head and perches lightly on your frizzing hair (the desert isn’t doing you any favors, there).

With dignity, you say, “Thank yeh very much fer the kit.” Your da’ didn’t raise a savage, after all.

That’s about when Professor Dumbledore explodes into existence in the middle of the camp in a flash of fire. A tall man just about your height (if you count his proud, 10 inch tall pointy hat and you most certainly do), magenta robes setting off his auburn just-starting-to-grey hair, and an absolutely beautiful phoenix on his shoulder. Your favorite professor cuts a sharp figure.

“Hagrid, my boy!” he says warmly. “I’m glad I managed to find you. You all but disappeared after your trial!”
You do as is your wont to do when startled by an authority figure-
“Yuh.”
– and retreat like a turtle going into his shell.
Bless his little heart, Dumbledore don’t mind none - though Fawkes, ever the kidder, makes a point of trilling over your little flub.
“Indeed - how fortuitous that I managed to find you. Tell me young Hagrid, how are you after all that mess, hm?”

You notice the quartermaster inching further behind racks of clothing. Pip has fallen over, and seems absolutely obsessed with checking how empty a hipflask of his is. Muggles can be bloody odd sometimes.

But more importantly - Dumbledore! How strange to see him again, but a right happy bit of strange! He was always such a nice professor. Ever since your da’ died, or even before that, he’s looked out for ya as best he can. You’re not that scared Firstie anymore though, or even the third year that got tossed out on his arse. What tone do you take?
[X] Apologetic. You didn’t mean to end up in this ‘Lavant’ place. If you’d known he was looking for you…
[X] Wretched. You know I didn’t kill nobody, don’t you professor? Please believe me.
[X] Pleased as punch. You didn’t know he cared that much! Do you think he’d mind a little hug?
[strikethrough][X] Suspicious. He did say he had some ideas for getting you off the hook, that he’d talk to some folk. But nothing ever came of that at your trial, and you didn’t see him there-[/strikethrough]
[X] Animal crazy! You’ve never gotten to see his phoenix up close before. This immediately takes priority over everything - you got a thousand idears about how to make a Phoenix right happy to test out! ...Oh, and you suppose the professor should get a greeting, too.
[X] Write-in.

What do you discuss with the good professor? (Just choose a few. You don’t wanna see the good professor’s gonna-be-polite-but-getting-kinda-irritated look again - gave you the heebie jeebies last time you saw it!)
[X] Take Dumbledore around, introduce him to these nice muggle folk.
[X] No no, introduce Dumbledore and Fawkes to Aragog! Two of the most important people in your life will surely get on like a house on fire.
[X] What brings such a busy man here?
[X] News from home?
[X] Try and get a lift to Egypt. Save your feet a walk.
[X] Can you pet the phoenix again?
[X] Write-in!

‘Chasing the Desert Fox’ is still locked in, this was just Dumbledore pulling a Paragon Interrupt.

[X] Animal crazy! You've never gotten to see his phoenix up close before. This immediately takes priority over everything - you got a thousand idears about how to make a Phoenix right happy to test out! ...Oh, and you suppose the professor should get a greeting, too.

We need to keep our priorities straight, here.

[X] Animal crazy! You've never gotten to see his phoenix up close before. This immediately takes priority over everything - you got a thousand idears about how to make a Phoenix right happy to test out! ...Oh, and you suppose the professor should get a greeting, too.

[X] Pleased as punch. You didn't know he cared that much! Do you think he'd mind a little hug?

Great man Dumbledore, Great man.

[X] Pleased as punch. You didn't know he cared that much! Do you think he'd mind a little hug?
Guile said:
Could you put the translations of what they're saying in parentheses? I don't know French, and google translate sucks.

[X] No no, introduce Dumbledore and Fawkes to Aragog! Two of the most important people in your life will surely get on like a house on fire.

I like how in a certain way we're insulting Dumbledore by focusing on Fawkes.

Beautiful plumage.

Of course this is before Gilwhathisface in Germany is dead or Voldemort has been defeated.

Selias said:
Could you put the translations of what they're saying in parentheses? I don't know French, and google translate sucks.
Actually, keeping them untranslated was a stylistic choice intended to keep the questers feeling as confused and growing-annoyed as Hagrid is. Even if I feel kind of hipster saying it that way.

I figure I'll toss in a little Dumbledore assisted mini-powerup soon, and one of the options will be 'learn French with magic', if it bothers you.

Guile said:
Actually, keeping them untranslated was a stylistic choice intended to keep the questers feeling as confused and growing-annoyed as Hagrid is. Even if I feel kind of hipster saying it that way.

I figure I'll toss in a little Dumbledore assisted mini-powerup soon, and one of the options will be 'learn French with magic', if it bothers you.
It really does. Thank you.

[X] News from home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back