• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Help Running a Quest

UnknownEldritch

Friendly Neighborhood Eldritch Abomination
Hello everybody! First time posting here, long-time reader, and lately I've begun to think about the possibility of running a quest, but I wanted to ask something first:

In my time reading, lots of quests that I've seen have these really interesting systems for character stats, abilities, bonds, etc, etc. Are there any resources anybody could recommend me to figure out how to put one of those together for my own quest?

Unless there's some preexisting game system you want to draw ideas from. For example, Dungeons and Dragons, Storyteller, GURPS, Crusader Kings. Then not really. Kinda depends on what you want to do really.

Hmm... Do yu have any recommendations then? I'm not really sure about most of the systems, just that D&D probably wouldn't work and that I've seen a lot of quests that say they use a CK2 system, whatever that is.

For the most part when they mention CK2 it means they'll roughly use the stats of it, and most often from what I've seen apply that as a bonus to things like a d100 roll.

But without knowing what kind of quest you want to run(is it using an original or preexisting setting, more combat focused, more management focused, how complicated/simple do you want it to be with a rule system to refer to.) Though for really super basic, just figure out what basic stats/attributes that will be a thing, what skills/abilities or what have you that can be trained up as a second set of values, apply those as bonuses to an effective dice roll if you want probability to be much of a thing. Or not, that's also an option.

Hm... alright, I think I get it. So like Martial, Diplomacy, Stewardship, stuff like that then? That makes sense.

Oh, and just so you know about the quest, it's based on a pre-existing setting (specifically the universe of Project Moon), won't have a particular focus on one thing over another (has elements of combat, relationship management, exploration, etc), and I'd like for it to have a relatively simple system, just to make it easier on me to run it and crunch the numbers, since I've never done something like this before.

Last edited:
Then the CK2 stats used in conjunction with d100 rolls is probably not a bad bet I guess. Scales up high I suppose. Other options could work as well, but I don't really know Project Moon well enough to say other than GURPS. Because technically, anything can be run in GURPS.

I'll keep the CK2 thing in mind, though what's GURPS? Thank yu for the help so far btw, much appreciated.

GURPS is the Generic Universal Role Playing System, a totally generic system made to play anything. Magic, Scifi, superheroes, dungeon diving, even modern political thriller if that's your fancy, all of it can be done if you're willing to take a look through the rules.

Interesting, interesting... I might have to look into it. Thank you for the help

No problem. Just make sure to pace yourself well.

You can read game design books and look at existing games..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back