• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

How Myotismon Saved Christmas (Digimon/PMMM)

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

This post is for the Index as well as the various pieces of information you will accumulate as...

Talos

Know what you're doing yet?
This post is for the Index as well as the various pieces of information you will accumulate as you go.

If curious, the original thread as well as all the updates to date can be found at this location.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-wandering-path-of-light-and-shadow-digimon-pmmm.254066/#post-10340052

Imagine.

A void of infinite blackness. No up nor down nor hot nor cold. A titanic emptiness which stretches on for as far as the eye can see. Bereft of light or dark, this place is like a festering wound in the heart; a gnawing emptiness where something should be. Words cannot describe the hunger that this place exerts across its existence. It is a void yearning to be filled, and yet it never can. For this is the primordial heart of ancient chaos itself. Buried deeply within the core of the Digital World; packed beneath mountains and cities and graves and forests and oceans.

Look now, and see. There is a faint light that casts aside the gloom of the inky void. A flat road of softly glowing light which stretches across the deepest part of the pit. The illumination it casts is like a defiance of its surroundings. Like a strange, winding path, it reaches across the void and then leads off to some mysterious destination of its own. Though made of light, it is solid enough to walk upon. Wide enough to fit two men at the same time, and strong enough to support many more. There are faint markings in the centre; runes which are too faint to be seen clearly and yet glow with an inner power of their own.

Pull back now, and see that it is not one path but many. Criss-crossing the blackness until the faint light grows stronger and stronger, and the void itself seems almost afraid to cross. Indeed, look closer and one would see that it is no path at all. In fact, the operative word is more like a chain. A prison.

And if you had the courage to look into the swirling darkness below, you would peer down and see shadowy forms. Still and motionless, locked eternally into frowns or cries of rage. Their faces twisted into looks of hate and fear. The shadow is thick about them, like a cloak, and even frozen as they are there is a sense of sleeping power. If a titanic giant which, once awoken, is not easily put back to sleep.

There are runes too; carved into the road at its very lowest point. Where the light and the shadows fight for dominance, you would see them and – if you could read them – they would say the following:

Here Are the Seven Great Demon Lords. Bound Forever With the Sacrifice of One of Our Own.

A comforting thought that such evil may not be unleashed upon the world again. Then, you would splutter and look down. A cold horror gripping your heart as the realization slowly dawned. The sign spoke of seven.

There are six statues.

_

Talos Proudly Presents

A Digimon/ Puella Magi Madoka Quest

A Spin-Off of The Wandering Path of Light and Shadow

Demon Vs Vampire

Or

How Myotismon saved Christmas.

Ah! Greetings my friends. Have you come to hear another tale of our brave adventurer Myotismon? Why, I believe that the last we heard of him, he was in the Digital World, and had just seen one of his closest friends cut down before his eyes!

You want us to continue that story? Hmmm, well, I suppose I could do that, but wouldn't you much rather hear a Christmas story? It is the time of year for it after all!

Wait, what do you mean Christmas was over ages ago? And that Japan has a totally different tradition in regards to it? Humbug and poppycock I say! Now sit down in front of the fire, and uncle Talos will tell you a great story. A story of Christmas, and of fierce battles, and of the fate of two worlds. I shall tell you how Myotismon encountered a powerful new enemy and was nearly overcome. I shall tell you of the savage power that it sought to unleash, and how only a few stood in its way.

Did Myotismon win in the end? Well, that's what we're going to find out isn't it? Now, before we go any further let's set the scene.

It was the night before Christmas...

[] -And snow had been falling steadily for a week at least. Emotions were high, and the children of the city were ready for the visit of a certain red-clad gift giver. We join our hero in deep debate with Kyubey about the meaning of Christmas.

[]-And rain poured from the heavens; the constant thudding of the droplets as they splashed into the streets and roofs of the city had dampened spirits considerably. No one walked the streets tonight if they didn't have to. We join our hero as he talks with a representative of a powerful council of Seers.

[]-And it was a fine day. In complete defiance of holiday tradition, the sun beamed down upon the city and it was far too hot for even the smallest amount of snow. Myotismon is tracking someone who has been a mystery for far too long – a Magical Girl named Homura who may or may not have a Digimon partner.

[] Other

Last edited by a moderator:
*slowly raises eyebrow*

Well. Think I may have accidentally spoiled myself for what happened in the Quest after I dropped off....but I gotta admit, I'm somewhat curious now.

Debating the meaning of Christmas with Kyubey does sound pretty funny though.

[X] The snow fell heavily in the city and a mystery was afoot. A dark presence haunting the place. Familiar, yet foreign. Like the edge of a memory recently forgotten. Myotismon did not get where he was by ignoring such things. He would have to track it down.

Index

It would be difficult without an index.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

[x] -And snow had been falling steadily for a week at least. Emotions were high, and the children of the city were ready for the visit of a certain red-clad gift giver. We join our hero in deep debate with Kyubey about the meaning of Christmas.

Philosophy with a rational being? Sure.

Last edited:
-And snow had been falling steadily for a week at least. Emotions were high, and the children of the city were ready for the visit of a certain red-clad gift giver. We join our hero in deep debate with Kyubey about the meaning of Christmas.

Debating the meaning of Christmas with Kyubey, oh Yes. This could lead to all Sorts of hilariously awesome things.

[X]-And it was a fine day. In complete defiance of holiday tradition, the sun beamed down upon the city and it was far too hot for even the smallest amount of snow. Myotismon is tracking someone who has been a mystery for far too long – a Magical Girl named Homura who may or may not have a Digimon partner.

"Christmas," Kyubey said, "Is a holiday of religious significance when is celebrated in response to the birth of the central figure of one of the biggest religious currently active on this world. Contrary to popular belief, it was actually co-opted from another tribe of humans with different beliefs and used as a way to promote cooperation and assimilation of native cultures."

The cat-rabbit creature gave another shake of its body; piles of snow were sent cascading to the ground at the motion. The frozen grass of the park was already thick with the stuff, so that only here and there might you spoke a defiant outcropping of green. The frozen trees waved slowly in the chilly wind; their branches bowed with the weight of the snow. In the centre of the part, there was a small lake – now frozen over and glossy.

You stood at the edge of the lake. The ice looked to be quite thick, and the cold was enough to drive even the most hardy humans away from the place, but you weren't quite ready to walk on it just yet. Even if it couldn't kill you, going for a surprise dip in icy water wasn't your idea of fun. Kyubey, of course, was standing happily on the ice. Not for the first time, you considered shattering it and letting him fall in.

"That may be so." You said in response. " However, that was quite some time ago I am given to understand. Meanings shift over the centuries, and what may once have been a religious festival has taken other connotations since."

"Obviously." Kyubey said. "However, understanding of an origin is crucial in the understanding of the thing itself. The original roots may be lost, but the perception that they created will have been passed along the generations. Even if it is warped by time, shades of the original meaning can still be found within the festival. Therefore, one cannot understand a thing without knowing why it began."

"Perhaps." You had to allow. Also not for the first time, you mused on the alien creature called Kyubey and how intelligent he actually was. This was not your first meeting in this park; though usually they took place long after dark. Situated near the middle of the city, and away from your own region of control this was a comfortable place to meet in a neutral setting; though you would never like the creature and certainly had plans to deal with him in the future, the fact was that for now you had no way to permanently destroy him. Worse, he seemed to know it and so treated your veiled threats and implied abilities as a venue of new discovery rather than as an actual danger. You weren't even sure he entirely comprehended the concept.

One thing you were sure of was that he was constantly learning. Probing into your territory whenever he got the chance. You were sure he talked frequently with Sayaka, the other Magical Girl who made her home base in your part of the city, and that he was doing his very best to divine your true nature. Given that, it would seem that your best course of action would be to spend as little time as possible with him and indeed, initially you had tried to do just that. Now however, you were sure that eventually he'd figure it out with or without you. The least you could do was to keep an eye on him and see what he knew.

Hence these seemingly meaningless discussions that the two of you shared. The subject itself wasn't important; it was more about how you thought, how you each presented your argument. It was a game of subtle implications wherein you each tried to learn more about the other without giving away anything of your own.

"However." You began, marshalling your thoughts into a careful sentence. "The original meaning has been nearly entirely eclipsed by the modern incarnation of the event. I would wager that more use could be found looking into the current iteration than the past ones."

"What conclusions have you drawn then?" Kyubey cocked his head to the side, though his face was as blank as it ever had been. "I am interested to know. What is the meaning of Christmas?"

This was the challenge. Now, you had to present an answer with a sliver of truth, and yet one that did not betray too much of your thought processes. You decided to take refuge in an altered truth.

"It is a time of emotional release." You said. "Without point or purpose other than that it has always taken place. The buying of presents symbolises the renewing of family bonds, and the strengthening of the bonds of friends. It is a holdover from ancient times when it held much more importance and now is a shade of what it once represented."

"True." Kyubey agreed easily. "But not all of the truth."

"Then what have you come up with?" You asked. "And please don't tell me that there is no reason, emotionless you may be but I doubt you're that stupid."

"Humans attach a lot of importance to the event." Kyubey said with the unspoken implication that this meant his kind also placed a certain amount of importance in it. Like knowing the fields in which your cattle like to browse, you thought. "In actual truth, Christmas is about obligation. The giving of presents is representative of mutual obligation within the family unit. The young ones are given trifles and toys until they reach a certain age and then take on the duty for their own young."

"An interesting take on things." You wondered how much of it was actually how he thought.

"I could say the same to you." Kyubey countered. "I don't suppose you've reconsidered telling me just what kind of being you are, Myotismon? I have met many races, and yet none have the unique mix of abilities that you seem to enjoy."

"Now why would I tell you anything?" You let your mouth shift into a cocky grin. "It would spoil all the fun and take all the satisfaction from your mission."

" All right then." Kyubey said with his false amiability in full swing. "Then what about the Magical Girls who were attacked and their Soul Gems stolen? I can track every Soul Gem in this city, and yet only one was recovered. Moreover, something is hiding it from me. It is...vexing."

"I'm sure your own theories are superior to mine." Was all you said.

"My theories are many." He replied. "And I am sure that some of them are quite close to the truth. In time, I'll know everything about your kind."

"You sound certain."

"I have more time than you can believe." Kyubey said. "How long will it take to crack you secrets? A hundred years? A thousand? A million? We are very patient, and we don't grow bored. You've set me a task to catch my interest and now I intend to follow it up. Some day I will know exactly what you are."

"But not today, I think." You said. "So unless you have anything else to add, I think that this little discussion is at a close."

"As you wish." Kyubey. You turned away, and as you did so you heard the soft flutter of tattered wings; and a weight landed on the ground at your side. Jade; the Puella turned LadyDevimon nodded to you, and with only a slight glare at Kyubey, started to speak.

"Myotismon, we're done hunting for the day."

"Good." You inclined your head; Jade had always been a tricky one to predict. It seemed so long ago that she had been a young girl, wounded and in need of aid. Though you had bestowed her with some of your power in the hopes of creating a valuable minion, what you had ended up with was so much more. She had been a normal human at the time, and when she did contract with Kyubey later your latent power had reacted quite drastically.

You were not entirely sure what she was. Though shaped like the female equivalent of a Myotismon, she still held the magic that came of a contract and also wielded a Soul Gem that seemed not to require being recharged at all. One thing that you were sure of was that she exceeded your expectations, and was now your hand-picked second in command, or would be at least, once you had more to command than a handful of allies.

"How well did it go?" You asked. " I hope its not as messy as it was last time?"

Her lips twisted into a savage grin. "I caught a couple of muggers trying to take advantage of the snow."

Ah. The one flaw in Jade's otherwise outstanding record was her tendency towards white and black morality. A strange and ironic trait for a LadyDevimon. Though her own unique system of morals wouldn't exactly have jelled with that of, say, a Leomon for example, she held those who abused their power against the helpless in deep contempt. Indeed, you suspected it was that deeply held belief which had triggered her transformation. Much like, you sought to bring about a world without conflict; however, unlike you, she was much more proactive her in approach. Attacking anyone who would seem to threaten her ideal. Her loyalty to you was beyond reproach of course, but sometimes you wondered how she would perform on her own. A LadyDevimon with no regard for subtlety wouldn't last long in the Digital World.

"Humans consider murder to be an evil act, you know." Kyubey put in. "How much blood did you leave staining the snow?"

"Enough that a little bit more won't hurt." She gestured with her free hand, and a lance of darkness shattered the ice at his feet. The tiny creature fell into the churning water, and didn't re-emerge. "If only he'd stay like that." She muttered to herself.

Inside, you were shaking your head. So easy to get a rise out of her. Kyubey had won that little exchange and you suspected they both knew it.

"As much as I have been wanting to do that all day." You said. " He does have a point. Murder is obvious, and the humans don't often fail to notice."

"Please." She said. "I might have wanted to kill them, but the scum didn't deserve the time it'd take to do it. Since I couldn't find a Witch to feed them to either, I just scared them a bit."

"Very well. And the rest of the hunt?"

"Sayaka tracked and killed two Witches on her own. ChaosGallantmon helped of course, but you know he is still recovering from his wounds."

The dark-knight had been badly injured some time before during a battle with a rampaging mega level Digimon. Though you hadn't been present for the fight, as you understood it he'd definitely been on the winning side.

"Phantomon?"

"Didn't do much." She sighed in mock resignation. "He has been busy with getting ready for the holiday. I don't think Madoka has let him out of her sight."

You muffled a snort. Of course. Phantomon was your oldest ally in the Real World, and the only one still alive who had known you before your Fall into the Dark Area. The fact that he had so quickly developed such a powerful bond with a young human was both amusing and surprising. It seemed he had been much more idealistic than he ever appeared.

"And you?"

"I killed one Witch." She held her hand up to forestall your comment. "Only because it was the last one in this part of the city. What with the hunting we've been doing lately, there aren't many left. I think we're killing them faster than they can multiply."

"Don't worry." You said. "In my experience, when dealing with creatures like these as soon as you think you are done a new wave of them will often turn up. Do you have the Grief Seeds?"

"Of course." Jade handed them to you, and you examined them in the light. Such small things to be the source of such power. Twisted black shapes, each one unique in its own way. You felt them in your hand, pulsing with a sleeping strength that was hard to ignore. They were the corrupted form of Soul Gems, to any Puella Magi they were vital for continued survival. For you? Well, you were not too sure just yet. All you knew was that they resonated with the dark power that birthed you, and that you had high hopes for how they would turn out.

You also had one other reason that you wanted them, but you were keeping that close to your chest for now. Anubismon, a mega level Digimon with far more power than most, was using them for his own research. Though his charge was only the souls of the Digital World, he seemed to hold quite an interest in Soul Gems and Grief Seeds. As such, you had learned that in return for supplying them he often let drop hints or important information. Your alliance with the Council had been one of need, not desire and you were unsure how long it would last now that the threat was removed. It paid to know all you could.

"So what will you do now?" Jade asked. "I am going to patrol the city for a while, and see if I've missed any Witches. Could use some company."

You glanced upwards; the sun was still high in the sky, though the trailing fog which you had called up when the meeting began did shield you from the harmful effects of its rays. A vampire, even a digital one, did not like being caught out during the day.

Then again, Jade was your apprentice, and would eventually be your second in command. If you died, or were otherwise rendered unable to continue, you knew full well she would assume the burden of your duties even though you had never discussed it. Perhaps now was the time to pass on some wisdom?

You decided....

[] That you would drop in on Anubismon. Trading Grief Seeds for information had proven profitable so far.

[] That you would return to your dwelling. The sun was still up, and you didn't want to bother shrouding the whole city in mist just to move around.

[] That you would stalk the city on your own for a while; allies were all well and good, but depending on others too much could be dangerous.

[] Other

Hmm, I should probably do some snippets for this quest soon but I want to wait until we're a few updates in at least.

[X] That you would drop in on Anubismon. Trading Grief Seeds for information had proven profitable so far.

My reasoning for this is mostly to get a feel for Anubismon to have it for the main quest. Never dealt with him yet in that, so having future knowledge to work with via Side Quest would be nice.

[x] That you would return to your dwelling. The sun was still up, and you didn't want to bother shrouding the whole city in mist just to move around.

Get experimenting? Hrumm...

That you would return to your dwelling. The sun was still up, and you didn't want to bother shrouding the whole city in mist just to move around.

[X] That you would stalk the city on your own for a while; allies were all well and good, but depending on others too much could be dangerous.

The church in which you spent your days was big, empty and beyond all else old. It had the trappings of beauty, though they were ragged and worn. Dust coated the floor in a thick layer, save for a worn groove which you often walked, and it dulled the light which managed to creep in through the old stain-glass windows. The pictures in the glass were hard to make out, and abstract as well. Symbols and metaphors rather than depictions of events or tales.

It was, or had been at one point, a fair-sized building which had surely housed many worshippers. The pews which lined the main building alone attested to that. However, that was clearly some years ago. No one had come to this place in a long time when you first stumbled across it. A chain had linked the doors together, but that had been easily severed. Inside, you had found a musty building of dust and shadows. An echo of a place of light. It had seemed to twist your gut a bit to see it like this. Once, you would have been appalled at the state of the building, but then, once you would have cared for such things.

Now, it was just a convenient place to spend the daylight hours where the sun could not easily reach you. It was not quite your master chamber back in your fortress, but you made do. With the right type of mind, and some free time, you had made it quite to your liking. Now, the thick dust was covered by an equally thick layer of fog which had the effect of making the room look both bigger and more enclosed to those without your ability to see through it. You had also found some candles which you had set up on the walls. They provided a faint, sputtering source of light which enabled you to meet visitors on some level of equality. Realistically, all it did was make the shadows lengthen and dance, but it seemed to put people at their ease a bit more.

Of course, the only two people who knew of your hiding place here were Phantomon and Jade, and Jade had never been here. Though you had claimed the city in accordance with your rights, this was the one place in the human world that was totally yours. Here, you had placed your headquarters, your lab and a place to sleep when the time came for such things.

You swept through the old congregation hall and into the side chamber where the priest had once prepared himself for the day ahead. It was a small room containing a bed, a desk and a mirror. On the desk, there lay a Grief Seed, its darkness reaching out weakly to you even now. You ignored it, for other matters concerned you this day.

The bed was old as the rest of the place. It wasn't to your liking, but then no human bed would have been. A coffin would be nice, with velvet upholstery and a nice red finish. Traditions existed for a reason after all, and you did like the finer things.

An interesting place.

You grimaced, your musing interrupted by the voice which had lately taken up residence in your head. A combination of gift and test from your former mentor, Ophanimon, meant to determine your worthiness, or to put it more simply, if she would have to hunt you down like any other Myotismon. The thought was not pleasant – she was far stronger, but even if she wasn't you would not relish a battle with her. No matter who won, it would not end happily.

That is an odd thought, I would have considered that you would be happy with the new power I have granted you. Ouir combined power is well into the mega tier.

"Power alone is worthless." You said, which was an odd thing for a Myoitsmon to say but you had seen it proved true time and again. "The actions you take with power are what determines worth. That is what Ophanimon is watching for, Loweemon." You addressed the spirit by its own name, perhaps to remind it that you were more than some ignorant peasant who had happened to pick it up. Civil as he was, Loweemon was the human spirit of darkness and therefore trickery and manipulation was as much his bread and butter as it was your own.

I would say that I didn't expect you be this philosophical, but that'd be a lie. Most Myotismon have that streak; comes from the whole vampire thing I guess. So what do you intend to do now?

That was a good question; freshly returned from a trip to the invigorating greatness of the Digital World, you were not at all tired. Instead, you decided that you would get some work done. Taking a seat at the table, you carefully took the Grief Seed in one hand and closed your fingers gently around it. You closed your eyes, and felt Loweemon's presence retreat. He was polite enough not to disturb your work.

As a Devimon, you had tried to probe the secrets of the Grief Seeds dropped by Witches. You hadn't had the power or the control though, and it had ended with the birth of a mutant Seadramon. Part Witch, part Digimon. Luckily it had been born at the champion level, but the thought that it might have been able to progress to mega was sobering. The magical abilities of a Witch, and the sheer power of a Mega level Digimon.

This time, you fed only a little power into the twisted gem. Just enough to perceive it on a magical level, and absolutely no more. Even so, you felt the presence within twist. It was weak and young, you had been sure to acquire a Seed with very little of the dark energy you now knew to be made up of despair. Like a child, it reached out for your mind. Its feeble touch broken upon the mental barriers you had raised at the start of your task.

Frustratingly, the specifics of the Seed still seemed to be beyond you. Though you could now sense more – that, for example, the Grief Seed was layered artificially three times, and that each of these ''chambers'' seemed to correspond with different levels of activity, you lacked the ''why'' of the situation. You did make some discoveries though. Like the fact that the mind you sensed was at the very deepest layer, that the layers were correspondingly deeper the closer one got to the centre, and that the Grief Seed shared some mechanics with the Soul Gem it once had been.

CurseDevimon, a mega level Digimon and your enemy, had been able to induce Soul Gems into giving him their powers – at the cost of the destruction of the gem – but either that was not possible with Grief Seeds or else he was further in his research than you because you saw no mechanism for this. Even if you wanted to drag the power directly from the Seed, the layers would actually hinder you – the deeper you went, the more strength you would need to steal the power until it was barely of use at all so great was the cost. Worse, as the layers were deeper the closer they were to the centre, you would barely get anything from the top ones.

Hmm, maybe if you used a bit more power? As an ultimate level, you had more fine control now than Devimon. The risks were there, but negligible.

What did you want to do?

[] Enough! You were in no hurry, and this was a simple side-project in any case. No need to go overboard.

[] The possibility of pulling extra power from Grief Seeds was too good to pass up, you would increase the power by a carefully measured amount.

[] Perhaps it was time to ask for a second opinion? Ask Loweemon if he has any ideas.

[] Write in.

Interesting.

How good are we at hypnotizing people? Weak minds only? Can't exactly hypnotize the Witch, can we?
What are those layers made of? Hope, despair, indifference?

Hrumm...

[x] Test the composition of each layer of the Grief Seed.

croaker said:
Interesting.

How good are we at hypnotizing people? Weak minds only? Can't exactly hypnotize the Witch, can we?
What are those layers made of? Hope, despair, indifference?

Hrumm...

[x] Test the composition of each layer of the Grief Seed.

Like any Myotismon, your mesmeric powers are considerable. Enough to easily sway most humans to your cause with little effort. You can induce this effect via speaking to someone or looking them in the eye (This is the stronger method) Your powers will influence most humans, though more direct methods may be required for those of strong will. Amongst Digimon, you can influence champions down, though again, a stronger will requires more power and some such as angel Digimon are immune full stop.

How this power will effect a witch you do not know; from what you have seen so far you do not think that you could easily control one that had already formed. The despair and hate they are born from protects them like a suit of armor, it would be like trying to locate and control a single person in a giant mass of hundreds. A Grief Seed that has not hatched yet however may not have this protection. You have not tried.

The layers are not made of emotion, but seem to be built right into the Grief Seed itself. Think vast storage tanks which are currently mostly empty. At a guess, this would be where the Seed stores despair until the Witch is ready to hatch, or possibly they may be related to how Kyubey harvests the stuff. Its not entirely magic in nature, so you cannot say for sure. You would need someone with more experience in such things to look at it.

The Witch's mind is young and not yet formed; attempting to influence it may prove possible however to do that you'll need to increase the power of your probe far beyond what you are planning. You have learned that latent Witches are very adaptable. You're not sure how it would react.

[X] The possibility of pulling extra power from Grief Seeds was too good to pass up, you would increase the power by a carefully measured amount.

Power because Power.

[X] Perhaps it was time to ask for a second opinion? Ask Loweemon if he has any ideas.

Knowledge because it's power squared.

Let's take a look at those storage tanks, then.

[X] Perhaps it was time to ask for a second opinion? Ask Loweemon if he has any ideas.

You focused your intent more closely upon the layers, they were mostly empty as you had expected, but there were still traces of the dark power held by all Witches. The Seed stank of despair and rage, and a more cutting feel of betrayal that you could not quite place. Describing how this made the inside look to one without the gift of magic would be hard – but if you were to liken emotions to colours, then the first layer would be mostly blank with dashes of deep purple, a smattering of red rage, and a deeper sense of despair beneath it all.

Looking closer, you noticed a second layer of colour neatly hidden by the first. This was present in the first chamber for sure, though it may have been in the others, they were too deep for you to notice. The second set of colours was very, very faint and you felt that if the Seed was any further along its growth cycle it would have been obliterated full stop. Going back to the colours anaology, if the first set was made up of red and purple and black, then this one was honey-yellow, with deep dark pools of green. Colours corresponding, in your mind, to the emotions of joy and hope. They were extremely faint, and you doubted that the mind inside the Seed knew of them at all. A leftover from the Seed's previous existence as a Soul Gem?

What do you think? You asked Loweemon in your mind. You did not have to wait long until you felt that slight pull on your focus which marked his presence.

Interesting. He said, his voice sounded like it came from right over your shoulder, but you knew there was no one there. Someone has been mucking around with souls then?

Something like that. You said. What do you make of it? Particularly the three layers and the secondary emotional residue.

What do I make of it? Hmmm, whoever did this was very skilled, the material is made up of crystallized energy of a highly volatile nature. That it is so stable is truly amazing. Nothing less than utter perfection could have created this.

It was probably done by machines of some kind initially. You hazarded a guess. I do not think Kyubey has access to magic on his own.

Even more impressive; most machines do not have the touch for such a thing to be even remotely possible. I cannot say much more than this for sure, as I am used to digital beings and not humans but....

Continue. You said. A second opinion is all I need, just give me some good guesses.

All right then. The secondary residue is clearly left over from a previous form; I cannot say the purpose for the layers, but they seem to filter the power in some way. Only the deepest darkness sinks to the centre, the rest is kept to the top. I don't know why.

Is the deepest layer fragile in some way? You thought aloud. Let me try something...

It would take a lot of energy to steal power from the deepest layers, however, you didn't need to do that just yet. A small increase in your probe's strength and you were able to brush gently against the mind in the deepest layer.

It seems secure enough. I was thinking that a lot of power would endanger it, but the stability is there. The filter is a mystery then. Not only does it not have an effect, but it seems counterproductive. It actually causes it to take more time for the Witch to gather its power.

Maybe whoever did this left it in from a previous experiment or model? As you said, I cannot think for a reason that it would be in this one.

The idea was tempting, but...

No. Kyubey does nothing without a reason. He, or one of his kind created this. Therefore there is a purpose we have not yet discovered.

Loweemon fell silent as the two of you examined the Grief Seed. There was no logical reason for the filter, and that threw you. If it were a fellow Myotismon, the answer would be that he feared the power of his creature and sought to limit it, but that wasn't true here. Considering his attitude towards death you doubted Kyubey was afraid of Witches, and this wasn't a true hard limit, it would merely slow them down. So it was an inefficient way to go about that too.

No matter which way you looked at it, it didn't fit Kyubey's methods to have this filter active within the Grief Seed. What was more, you had the feeling that this filter may prove to be the method by which CurseDevimon had harnessed the power of the Soul Gems.

Suddenly, a wave of cold shock struck you where you stood. You cut your probe instantly, letting the connection to the Seed wither away and die. The feeling remained strong, and for a second you wondered if the Witch had escaped, but then you realised the presense you felt was not that of a Witch at all.

Something is breaking through from the Digital World.
Loweemon warned. Something powerful.

Bio-emerging.
You agreed, remembering the term from some long-ago discussion. I have found evidence of that happening from time to time, but something always destroys them before I can locate them. This time its close, I might make it-!

What about the Grief Seed? You know that they feed on ambient darkness, and consider how weak the secondary residue is. If that ties into the explanation then once it is lost, we may not have a way to discover more!

The thought hit you like a brick; he was right! If you were distracted long enough for the secondary set of colours to fade, there was no guarantee that you would be able to find out what they had meant.

What did you do?

[] You decided to chase down the newly emerged Digimon, whatever kept destroying them could be a threat.

[] The experiment had to come before all else; besides you'd probably not be able to chase them down before they were deleted like the rest.

[] Write In.

I think that is me for the day people, maybe one more if enough people reply soon enough.

So.

If we continue this experiment, would anyone have any ideas on what to do with the secondary band of colors? If not, we might want to investigate...

This vote is essentially meet Homura and Cyberdramon on less then even terms or Get Power. So...

[X] The experiment had to come before all else; besides you'd probably not be able to chase them down before they were deleted like the rest.

[] The experiment had to come before all else; besides you'd probably not be able to chase them down before they were deleted like the rest.

I find it somewhat surprising that Homerun chan has not questioned Phantamon at gunpoint. A strange not human being living with Madoka could be a danger, after all.

[X] You decided to chase down the newly emerged Digimon, whatever kept destroying them could be a threat.

I'd rather know what the threat is myself, getting away from stronger threats is kinda a specialty of ours. And I still hold that knowledge is power. Better to come back to this experiment later.

That's a fair point. You said, torn between the two choices. The thought of rushing to the scene was tempting, but surely the others would have felt the same shockwave? Jade at the very least was sensitive enough and close enough to do so; considering her power you doubted it was anything she couldn't handle.

Content that your apprentice would surely be drawn to the creature, you resolved to question her later and turned your focus back to the Grief Seed. The filter...the filter was the crux of the problem you felt. You knew that Kyubey and his kind did nothing for no purpose, so then the task you had was to discover the reason for the filter. Initially, you thought that it might be some leftover from when the Seed was a Soul Gem, but that didn't hold true as there were no other such reminders. It was an efficient re-tooling, and you doubted Kyubey's people would have spend so much effort only to leave it half-done.

What are my clues? You thought to yourself, trying to imagine how the whole thing would fit together. The purpose of the Grief Seed was obviously to birth the Witch, so how did the filter fit into that? The three chambers were to gather and store despair and grief, and the residue was a left-over from its previous existence as a Soul Gem most likely.

Figure out the reason for the filter, and you felt that you might discover how CurseDevimon had been able to manipulate Soul Gems. You remembered how easily he had been able to pull the power from them, and how they had simply crumbled away afterwards, as though their very essence had been drained.

What do you want to do now?

[] Try to guess the reason for the filter (Requires diceroll)

[] Examine more (specify)

[] The purpose of the filter is... (Requires write-in)

[] Go over the clues that you had discovered so far.

[] Write In

Sorry for the small size of the update, but I cannot think of anything more to include in this scene without spoiling. You'll need to figure out what the purpose of the filter is, though I have dropped some hints in the previous update feel free to ask any questions you might need, or write in for a deeper examination of any factors. You can take the guessing option if you don't want to bother.

[lelelelel] The purpose of the filters is to keep the mind within insane, and thus generate more emotional energy. Only the darkest colors will aggravate the mind within to make this energy.

Probably should investigate more. Right now, Imma specula for a writein.

DO NOT VOTE ON THIS.

So....does anyone want to make a vote?

Considering you have me stumped... I'm not even bothering on this one.

[X] Go over the clues that you had discovered so far.

[] Go over the clues that you had discovered so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back